* * * * - 6 votes

Keep Fighting, Michael

• Please log in to reply
1327 replies to this topic

#1251 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,862 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 19:09

If you want utter privcay, then step out of the spotlight as a whole. Not the one without the other.

They can do whatever the hell they like, quite frankly. Just because they want complete privacy around his obviously bad current condition doesn't mean they have to close down his brand completely. They are not complaining to the media, just doing what they think is right.

Hell, I imagine as someone who spent so long in a dangerous sport, Michael himself may have made clear exactly what he would have wanted if this kind of situation arose.

Advertisement

#1252 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 503 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 19:31

/ pranked the world with a contemporary art project and never even had an accident,

For years and years I beleived that Senna pranked the world.

It took a lot of time for me to realise that my immune system led me to beleive in that to protect me from horrible pain that I would surely suffer if accepting his death.

Senna's demise changed me forever. I was 17 at the time of his death.

#1253 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 1,227 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 20:38

Calling a family wanting privacy a military operation is just stupid.

Not as stupid as clicking on this thread everyday and coming here every 5 minutes to write: hey, nobody should care about, is none of your business, you guys should´t know anything.... 5 minutes later, well, let me go on that Shumacher thread again....  How about you make an example and just keep away from here, since you are totally uninterested on the subject... But hey, preach brother on, preach! 

Edited by Flyhigh, 11 September 2019 - 20:47.

#1254 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,862 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 20:48

Not as stupid as clicking on this thread everyday and coming here every 5 minutes to write: hey, nobody should care about, is none of your business, you guys should´t know anything.... 5 minutes later, well, let me go on that Shumacher thread again.... How about you make an example and just keep away from here, since you are totally uninterested on the subject... But hey, preach brother on, preach!

Every day? I've been in here for like 2 days.

I think it's offensive that people think they have a right to Michael Schumacher because he is a celebrity. Get a life mate.

#1255 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 689 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 20:53

Not as stupid as clicking on this thread everyday and coming here every 5 minutes to write: hey, nobody should care about, is none of your business, you guys should´t know anything.... 5 minutes later, well, let me go on that Shumacher thread again....  How about you make an example and just keep away from here, since you are totally uninterested on the subject... But hey, preach brother on, preach! 

You probably should step away from this thread for a while.

It's highly likely we'll not hear anything genuine from the Schumacher family as they/he made that decision years ago and it's not likely to change.

Just try and think of the good times, we have no right to know anything more than he had an accident. 

#1256 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,862 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:49

Not as stupid as clicking on this thread everyday and coming here every 5 minutes to write: hey, nobody should care about, is none of your business, you guys should´t know anything.... 5 minutes later, well, let me go on that Shumacher thread again.... How about you make an example and just keep away from here, since you are totally uninterested on the subject... But hey, preach brother on, preach!

What exactly is it that you want? It's obvious he's messed up and he/his family want it private.

You want them to go through the anguish of publicly explaining to everyone what we already know? Why? Because you are a fan? Because you bought some merch? Gross.

Answer me this question: why do YOU think they want to keep it private? Can you answer that objectively for me? Maybe then you will find your answer. Hint: it's not because his wife is a bad person that wants to screw over fans.

I'm not posting in here anymore so u get your wish. Mostly because I feel like I need to take a shower after reading the disgusting crap in here.

#1257 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 1,227 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 22:10

What exactly is it that you want? It's obvious he's messed up and he/his family want it private.

You want them to go through the anguish of publicly explaining to everyone what we already know? Why? Because you are a fan? Because you bought some merch? Gross.

Answer me this question: why do YOU think they want to keep it private? Can you answer that objectively for me? Maybe then you will find your answer. Hint: it's not because his wife is a bad person that wants to screw over fans.

I'm not posting in here anymore so u get your wish. Mostly because I feel like I need to take a shower after reading the disgusting crap in here.

Get a life please, stop miss quoting me, I never said I want them to publish anything, but you don´t have to keep him as a "state secret" for years without end either, as already discussed many times, those who visit him are not even allowed to say he is ok or something like that, they make this enormous, exhausting PR effort into keeping a tight lid on everything, and that too me is not normal, not natural, that is what I said "mate"  don´t spin it with your BS. 

And to answer your hypothetical question, I don´t know nor anyone really, another poster here wrote something that makes sense to me, is as though there is some deep shame going on, as if knowing anything about his current condition is going to take away from the image of Michael, so it needs to be hidden at all costs. There may be life long sponsor contract reasons too, that would make it more logical in some ways. 

Anyway, please stop quoting me and spreading fake info regarding me, thanks! 

Edited by Flyhigh, 11 September 2019 - 23:11.

#1258 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,862 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 00:17

Everyone knows, come on. He's not chilling in his rumpus room playing billiards. It's painfully obvious what the situation is, yet people still call for news from the family.

And saying that you do not want news from the family, but they shouldn't ask people they allow to visit to keep it private. It's the same thing. Nice try though.

Anyway, I said I was done with talking about this, so I'm out. Not replying to anything else as there's no point.

I really do feel terrible for his family now. Having to deal not only with his incapacitation but the media pressure of fans and journalists wanting their pound of flesh because he is famous, and being quite nasty towards them when it's quite possible they are just honouring his wishes.

Edited by goldenboy, 12 September 2019 - 00:20.

#1259 Klauzer

Klauzer

• 31 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:45

Everyone knows, come on. He's not chilling in his rumpus room playing billiards. It's painfully obvious what the situation is, yet people still call for news from the family.

And saying that you do not want news from the family, but they shouldn't ask people they allow to visit to keep it private. It's the same thing. Nice try though.

Anyway, I said I was done with talking about this, so I'm out. Not replying to anything else as there's no point.

I really do feel terrible for his family now. Having to deal not only with his incapacitation but the media pressure of fans and journalists wanting their pound of flesh because he is famous, and being quite nasty towards them when it's quite possible they are just honouring his wishes.

Sometimes the people who do know (i.e. some big names & important people as well) don't help with the entire communication surrounding his condition (or the "mysteriousness" of it) when they give upbeat & positive "he's still fighting" info. There was even a rumor he'd watched an F1 race with Jean Todt: https://www.dailymai...ain-health.html

So of course some fans are going to want a thumbs up or something. But despite that sort of positiveness, it's pretty obvious he's in really, really bad shape & he's not really the Schumacher everyone remembers anymore. I just don't see the need to be both extremely secretive & also publicly downplay the seriousness of his condition. His situation is bad & a catastrophe for F1's most decorated champion who has suffered pretty much the same fate as Ayrton Senna, except without the world grieving for his loss. 

We're going to be having these discussions (i.e. "what's happening with Schumi these days?") until the inevitable bad news hits at some point in the future (could be tomorrow, or it could be ten years from now). I obviously have no idea what the hell is going on behind the scenes, but for Schumacher to fade away like this (literally & also in terms of public perception) is cruel considering the amount he achieved. 

Advertisement

#1260 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,211 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:06

We know the Schumacher of old is gone, I just like to remember that final pole he got in Monaco (I know it was taken away but it was a wonderful moment), that will be my lasting memory of a great man. Whatever happens from now is not my business.

#1261 Klauzer

Klauzer

• 31 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:31

This is the sort of misplaced positivism I'm talking about: https://www.msn.com/...ocid=spartanntp

Medical staff say Michael Schumacher is "conscious" after undergoing stem-cell treatment in Paris, according to a French newspaper.

Sure it's the media's fault for spinning a positive story, but it's easy to understand "how" some fans might be led into believing Schumacher & his family could give them a sign or thumbs up considering the constant stream of "he's fighting & getting better" news. 

#1262 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,572 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:21

This is the sort of misplaced positivism I'm talking about: https://www.msn.com/...ocid=spartanntp

Sure it's the media's fault for spinning a positive story, but it's easy to understand "how" some fans might be led into believing Schumacher & his family could give them a sign or thumbs up considering the constant stream of "he's fighting & getting better" news. 

It's just a typical media tactic to make a false statement which others then feel compelled to come out and deny which in itself then reveals certain details. This has already happened regarding MS a couple of times when Sabine has come out and challenged certain rumours, perhaps unwittingly actually providing more information than she was shutting down in the first place. 

#1263 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,038 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:31

If you want utter privcay, then step out of the spotlight as a whole. Not the one without the other.

So, for all active drivers, we should be privvy to the details of their current health status?

#1264 BRG

BRG

• 16,860 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:22

So, for all active drivers, we should be privvy to the details of their current health status?

Yes.  Just recently we heard that Lando Norris had pulled a muscle or something and might not be able to race at Monza (he did in the end) and for Spa there was a problem with Kimi that menat the team pulled Ericsson back from Indycars to cover him (but he didn't have to in the end).  We often hear that so-&-so has a virus or a training injury.   Back in the day, we heard of Montoya's injury after playing tennis on the motorbike.  And Webber's injury falling off his mountain bike.

But this is a total red herring and has absolutely NO relevance to the Schumacher case.

#1265 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 4,811 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:26

Yes.  Just recently we heard that Lando Norris had pulled a muscle or something and might not be able to race at Monza (he did in the end) and for Spa there was a problem with Kimi that menat the team pulled Ericsson back from Indycars to cover him (but he didn't have to in the end).  We often hear that so-&-so has a virus or a training injury.   Back in the day, we heard of Montoya's injury after playing tennis on the motorbike.  And Webber's injury falling off his mountain bike.

But this is a total red herring and has absolutely NO relevance to the Schumacher case.

It has no relevance because those guys couldn't take part racing (their job) or needed recovery. In the Schumacher case it's a private matter. In even then there would have been the right not to tell the public what injury those drivers had. We all knew Schumacher broke his leg in 1999 for example. 

#1266 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,038 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:40

Yes. Just recently we heard that Lando Norris had pulled a muscle or something and might not be able to race at Monza (he did in the end) and for Spa there was a problem with Kimi that menat the team pulled Ericsson back from Indycars to cover him (but he didn't have to in the end). We often hear that so-&-so has a virus or a training injury. Back in the day, we heard of Montoya's injury after playing tennis on the motorbike. And Webber's injury falling off his mountain bike.

If a driver has hepatitis, should we know that?

The relevance is exact.

#1267 BRG

BRG

• 16,860 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:43

If a driver has hepatitis, should we know that?

The relevance is exact.

Do you have any record of any driver having hepatitis and keeping it a secret?   The relevance is irrelevant.  Find a better metaphor.

#1268 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 812 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:50

Various drivers have raced with medical conditions about which we did not know until after they'd retired. Jean Alesi being colour blind, Nelson Piquet's damaged vision (inability to judge distances well) after his 1987 Imola crash....at least one F3000 driver had HIV. No...we don't need to know any of this. 

Unfortunately the word "conscious" means something different to lay-people and medical practitioners. Medically, Michael has been "conscious" for some years. But that doesn't mean he can talk, laugh, feed himself.....all it actually means is he's not in a coma and some brain activity has been observed...maybe basic reactions to stimuli.

The bottom line is all we know is that he's somewhere between "reacts to stimuli, brain activity observed" and what we as lay-people think of as conscious. 

#1269 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,038 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:50

Do you have any record of any driver having hepatitis and keeping it a secret? The relevance is irrelevant. Find a better metaphor.

If we go by this reckoning:

SenorSjon, on 11 Sept 2019 - 15:41, said:

Then an active driver, in the spotlight, apparently does not deserve utter privacy.

Perhaps SenorSjon can answer for themselves though.

#1270 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 28,092 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:56

I do wonder how much of the "If you want to be a public figure, you should expect invasions of privacy that an average citizen wouldn't tolerate" argument is fair and how much is a ruse the tabloids use to cover their own backs.

Is Schumacher a public figure? Does he have a choice in the matter? Would any of us? How would he, of all people, decide whether he wants to be in the limelight?

Laws vary from country to country but morally speaking, I don't believe our right to know is absolute. We have the right to know if we're being lied to. If Michael Schumacher had actually recovered fully some time ago, and is now managing his business interests under the pretence that he is incapacitated, anyone would be justified reporting and publishing that.

But we don't have a right to be informed about Schumacher's current capacities, the rate of his recovery or even any setbacks. It's up to the family to set the boundaries. I would guess that given how much Schumacher valued his privacy and family life before the accident, it's what he would want now.

#1271 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,552 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:09

at least one F3000 driver had HIV. No...we don't need to know any of this.

Depending on when it was, it would've been helpful to have this open.
Too many think of HIV as a death sentence, where you cannot do anything fun along the way.

#1272 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 812 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:25

Depending on when it was, it would've been helpful to have this open.
Too many think of HIV as a death sentence, where you cannot do anything fun along the way.

Well it's common knowledge now, Stephane Proulx. And I agree that he was racing at a time when it might have been great for people to see that someone could compete in sport while having HIV (late 80s, early 90s). But he was under no obligation to divulge that information to anyone other than medics at the circuit and hospitals. 

But I believe the point stands. Racing drivers have raced with conditions we didn't know about. Katayama with his cancer. I think Nilson too for a time. It's up to an individual whether they release personal information. And while as an LGBT+ ally and someone who is considered by many to be somewhere on the queer spectrum myself....I agree it can be great for famous people to say "I'm doing all this with HIV" or "I'm gay and a top racing driver"....it's still the choice of the individual. 

#1273 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,375 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:25

If we go by this reckoning:

SenorSjon, on 11 Sept 2019 - 15:41, said:

Then an active driver, in the spotlight, apparently does not deserve utter privacy.

Perhaps SenorSjon can answer for themselves though.

This doesn't work with pulling it towards extremes. :) We've heard and seen more about the recovery of Correa or Billy Monger in a short timespan than Schumacher since his incident.

#1274 jstrains

jstrains

• 2,798 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:33

According to study nurse who treated Schumacher for the stem cells, he is conscious

Edited by jstrains, 12 September 2019 - 11:33.

#1275 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,516 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:44

I dont really think that remembering somebody's legacy should be tied to how private they are. 

Of course this announced documentary with never seen before private footage is a bit contradicting to this (also Schumacher wasnt that ultra private during his time as some people make it out to be here), but then again everyone has the right to filter what they want to keep private and what not. Nobody keeps everything private or everything public, even the most extreme cases keep some things private.

The problem for me in this entirely discussion is that the approach of the Schumacher Family is not leading to more privacy, every communications expert will tell you that much. Do we think that the Bianchi Family didnt cared for their privacy when they gave updates on him? Or Correa now? Of course they cared, and giving updates killed off any attempt of the media speculating. Something that keeps happening with Schumacher. And since his family started lawsuits against every single one of them some of the things they wanted to hide did came out anyways (i.e. his lawyer accidently revealed that he cant walk when he was suing a tabloid for claiming that he can walk).

So this means that they are either misjudging this, or that they fear that it would be more painful (for them or everyone) to tell the truth rather than to deal with the rumours and the risk that something leaks out anyways, or that it's better to keep his legacy as strong as possible. What it certainly isnt is what some people wrote in this thread (disgusting, etc.). They dont owe anyone anything. This however doesnt mean that you can't question their approach either.

#1276 potmotr

potmotr

• 10,975 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:55

Here's a question: if tomorrow Schumacher was papped outside the hospital would we all rush to look at the photos? 

#1277 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 812 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:58

According to study nurse who treated Schumacher for the stem cells, he is conscious

See my post above.

He's been "conscious" in the purely medical sense since 2014. The announcement from the French hospital doesn't necessarily mean he is in any better condition than he was in 2018. 

#1278 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 812 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:59

Here's a question: if tomorrow Schumacher was papped outside the hospital would we all rush to look at the photos? 

I imagine most of us would.

That doesn't make it right. It makes neither the taking of the photos nor the viewing of them right. 

#1279 djr900

djr900

• 71 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:08

No , I wouldn't personally ,  but I am sure there would be some people who like that sort of thing.

Advertisement

#1280 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,038 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:10

This doesn't work with pulling it towards extremes. :) We've heard and seen more about the recovery of Correa or Billy Monger in a short timespan than Schumacher since his incident.

But Billy Monger isn't asking for privacy!!!

#1281 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,552 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:17

Well it's common knowledge now, Stephane Proulx. And I agree that he was racing at a time when it might have been great for people to see that someone could compete in sport while having HIV (late 80s, early 90s). But he was under no obligation to divulge that information to anyone other than medics at the circuit and hospitals.

But I believe the point stands. Racing drivers have raced with conditions we didn't know about. Katayama with his cancer. I think Nilson too for a time. It's up to an individual whether they release personal information. And while as an LGBT+ ally and someone who is considered by many to be somewhere on the queer spectrum myself....I agree it can be great for famous people to say "I'm doing all this with HIV" or "I'm gay and a top racing driver"....it's still the choice of the individual.

Ah, read up on the guy. I completely understand why he didnt go public with it.

And yes, it is up to each driver to share what he/she feel is right. I think the rest of it belongs in an already forgotten thread :)

#1282 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 278 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:43

But Billy Monger isn't asking for privacy!!!

Perhaps he had more to gain than lose?

#1283 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,625 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:44

I always thought Jules Bianchi's family handled his accident and the after effects very well, obviously families make different decisions though on how to cope with such an extreme event.

Andy

#1284 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 1,821 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 14:25

This thread has gone bad.

#1285 septerra

septerra

• 397 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 14:44

Some of you just need to shut the **** up and take your garbage somewhere else. This isn't the place for it. 

If you're here to discuss your opinions on the decisions made by a struggling family, get the **** out. 

I WANT to know as much as anyone else; I also know how to respect other human beings and the choices they make for themselves. 

#1286 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 12,675 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 14:55

Following on from the first thread, this is where we can discuss news of Michael Schumacher's recovery.

#1287 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,114 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 15:00

This thread has gone bad.

Agreed. I think we need a mod to issue a dictum as to what is acceptable or not in this thread.

#1288 Eff1

Eff1

• 572 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 15:15

The problem for me in this entirely discussion is that the approach of the Schumacher Family is not leading to more privacy, every communications expert will tell you that much.

Well....I would say we haven’t heard much since his accident. And since they continue to keep everything hush it indicates they have had success in this area (privacy I mean, otherwise they would not have continued with this approach).

Anyway - think I posted before - happy to remember him as a racing driver (a monumentally awesome one!). I grew up watching him and was a massive fan, to me he was an inspiration.

Deep down I perhaps do have some interest in his condition (I don’t deny this, I hope for something positive), however I fully respect the wishes of his family. No need for them to release anything.

#1289 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,610 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 15:20

Septerra, there’s no need for that sort of heated reaction. Most people here are posting out of concern for the Schumachers, and there’s no single correct course of action to take. Of course it’s their choice as to what to do, but it doesn’t mean they’ve chosen the best way.

#1290 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,200 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 15:44

Were we entitled to medical updates on Niki Lauda in recent years? 

#1291 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,049 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 16:28

I think one problem is the family has set up the Keep Fighting Foundation in Schumacher's honour.  "Keep fighting - never give up."

That is, I assume, an indication that Michael is indeed fighting and has never given up.

But how is that manifesting itself?  What is the fight?  I think back to the family of Leah Betts, who died after taking tainted ecstasy, and published pictures of her to warn people of the risks of adulterated drugs.  There is perhaps a positive message, or a warning, which the family could help with, but the total radio silence is not doing so.  Plus, given Schumacher had tens of millions of fans, it must be upsetting for them to have no news at all.  Even the worst news is better than no news (an acquaintance of mine is still waiting for her husband who went missing when doing extreme sports in the Alps several years ago - they have never found his body and she cannot move on with her life). 

#1292 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 2,896 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 16:38

I imagine most of us would.

That doesn't make it right. It makes neither the taking of the photos nor the viewing of them right.

If it’s truly outside then it’s in a public place so it’s fine.

#1293 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 5,943 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 19:07

It may be a novel concept but:

1. The public has a right to want to know about his condition
2. The family has a right to choose to keep his condition a secret or not
3. The family has a right to choose to use his past success for merchandise and marketing

4. Here's the crazy one: The public has the right to choose NOT to purchase/participate in the merchandising and marketing, if they find it hypocritical that the family is choosing to operate 2 and 3 (above)

With that context, I also see no issue with a thread like this on a forum like this. Whether we have the information or not, there is no harm in wishing him well. There is no harm in coming to this thread in the hopes that some fresh news has filtered out.

What the family is doing is not unusual, because they're doing something a lot of people wish they could do but incredibly difficult to achieve (in my opinion). What IS unreasonable, again, in my opinion, is to demand any updates, because those who aren't family and in the inner circle, aren't entitled to this information.

There was a post earlier about how even Willi Weber doesn't know how he's doing and at least he should have known. Understandably, that's a speculative and unverified post; but in context there could be multiple reasons for this:
- Maybe Weber does know, and is pretending not to, in order to respect the family's wishes

- Maybe the family knows that their goal of utter secrecy will be compromised by Weber, and so don't share anything with him

At the end of the day we're on the outside, and besides the media speculating, and a few people feeling entitled about what info should and should not be divulged, I don't really find anyone being in the wrong here. 

I'm the very last person in the world who one can consider even a remote fan of MS (I could not stand the guy, in fact!); but from a humanitarian point of view, I lie in the hope that he is not in pain, that he is not suffering, and that maybe he will recover from what the general consensus seems to be of his debilitating state.

So with that in mind, I will say: Keep fighting Michael  :up:

#1294 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 1,227 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 19:57

Man, why do you feel entitled to say what others should think that is strange or not? You think the way those around him have acted over the last for the 7 years is perfectly normal and natural, fine. You are allowed to have your opinion, me and several others think is very strange. Not everyone has to feel the way you do about something mate.   Let´s leave at that, agree to disagree. 

Edited by Flyhigh, 12 September 2019 - 20:02.

#1295 pdac

pdac

• 8,134 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 20:04

Have you spoken to this nurse personally, or are you just quoting unsubstantiated information - because, how ever well intended, if it's the latter then it's just contributing to this awful fish-tank mentality.

#1296 as65p

as65p

• 22,012 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 20:28

No , I wouldn't personally ,  but I am sure there would be some people who like that sort of thing.

You don't have to "like it" to admit you'd have a look. I didn't "like" seeing Muhammad Ali in his last years, but I didn't look away either.

#1297 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 379 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 20:36

For years and years I beleived that Senna pranked the world.

It took a lot of time for me to realise that my immune system led me to beleive in that to protect me from horrible pain that I would surely suffer if accepting his death.

Senna's demise changed me forever. I was 17 at the time of his death.

Yep, I was 19, in Uni, had an exam the next day, failed miserably, under 20% if I recall.  The teacher, also an F1 fan (Sadly a Damon Hill and but otherwise a nice guy) allowed me to sit the exam a week later, he didn't want to be there that day too (the day after the crash I mean).....

#1298 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 397 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 20:41

Have you spoken to this nurse personally, or are you just quoting unsubstantiated information - because, how ever well intended, if it's the latter then it's just contributing to this awful fish-tank mentality.

It's pretty easy to make a medical determination of whether or not he is conscious.  Is he aware?  That is the question.  Now whether or not he can communicate effectively or perform simple tasks is a different thing.  After my brother had a massive stroke, he was conscious...aware of his surrounding and those around him but he was, in no way, able to communicate very effectively or self-manage for months afterwards.  

#1299 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,862 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 21:04

Septerra, there’s no need for that sort of heated reaction. Most people here are posting out of concern for the Schumachers, and there’s no single correct course of action to take. Of course it’s their choice as to what to do, but it doesn’t mean they’ve chosen the best way.

He's reacting not to people posting out of concern for the schumachers, but those that are posting out of concern for themself wanting to know details that a family wants to keep private, because they feel entitled to because they were a fan and spent money etc. Quite different to what you are saying. It's obvious the only concern is for themself because they are almost abusing the family for wanting to keep private.

It's not everyone in this thread, but those are the type that are really offending some (like myself).

Advertisement

#1300 pRy

pRy

• 15,850 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 21:19

I think one problem is the family has set up the Keep Fighting Foundation in Schumacher's honour.  "Keep fighting - never give up."

That is, I assume, an indication that Michael is indeed fighting and has never given up.

But how is that manifesting itself?  What is the fight?  I think back to the family of Leah Betts, who died after taking tainted ecstasy, and published pictures of her to warn people of the risks of adulterated drugs.  There is perhaps a positive message, or a warning, which the family could help with, but the total radio silence is not doing so.  Plus, given Schumacher had tens of millions of fans, it must be upsetting for them to have no news at all.  Even the worst news is better than no news (an acquaintance of mine is still waiting for her husband who went missing when doing extreme sports in the Alps several years ago - they have never found his body and she cannot move on with her life). 

I find that a rather bizarre comparison if I'm honest. Leah died due to misadventure with drugs as a young person. There was a very real message to be spread and awareness to be raised regarding the risks involved in consuming ecstasy and other similar substances. The decision by the family to release the photo therefore had a very real purpose and huge impact in terms of raising awareness. I'm struggling to link this to Michael's accident. He fell whilst skiing in what appears to be a case of extreme bad fortune. It was an accident. There was no misadventure involved. He wasn't driving a car whilst intoxicated, for example. So I'm not sure what message you feel is not being broadcast. 

I also disagree that the worst news is not better than no news. I've referred to this example before but we didn't know David Bowie had terminal cancer in the months prior to his death. Should we have been told? No. Would we have been better off knowing? No. That was his private business, his private choice and that's the way it was. I feel the same way with Michael. And I suspect the family are ultimately doing us a favour.