Number 88 Doug Rowe Corvette

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,018 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:46

Does anyone know much about this car.

One site says it was a Greenwood chassis and beyond it  being built for LeMANS, with a dock strike killing that, and a HSR event not much history out there.

88-2014-HSR-WJules-J-M-Gougnon-in-ex-D-R

Edited by Bob Riebe, 19 July 2015 - 04:09.

Advertisement

#2 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 15:38

Bob, there is some info the  "registryofcorvetteracecars.com" site. I have also found some info on the Autodiva site from france, you have to sign in to see it. I have a number of photos that I've managed to dig up over time. some documentation, such as Doug Rowe's obit, some info on his business endeavours, entry papers for Le Mans etc. I think the car ran some IMSA events after it came back to north america. the Rowe team was associated with "MO" Maurice Carter, they as you probably know also had a Camaro at Le Mans in 1980. at the track Carter was quite outspoken about the French during WW 11, which caused a lot of grief, and didn't sit well with the French, causing them to be excluded from the event. I don't think they qualified at all well.  you are I think correct as far as 1979 Le Mans, there was some strike, as always in France and they didn't make the race. PM me if you are interested in any thing I might have, would be happy to send it to you. I cannot get my head around posting here. Carter had pretty good career, he ran one of the '70 trans-am Chaparral Camaros from 1971 on for a number of years.

Mike Scott (group7) in Canada 

Edited by group7, 18 July 2015 - 15:45.

#3 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,018 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:47

Thanks for the info.

I went to the registry  and checked it out.

I am well aware of Mo Carter. He parked his ex-Chaparral Camaro rather than do the heavy modifications to the body needed to stay competitive and ran a glorified short-tracks chassis, with good results.

I was just curious as this car is one of the few to run the Greenwood GT rear-window and finding another one in that configuration just peaked my interest.