Photo

Renzo Castagneto - Mille Miglia

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ChrisD

ChrisD

• 112 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 20:32

Renzo Castagneto was one of the so-called 'four musketeers' who devised the Mille Miglia.  Thereafter, I believe that he was the major organiser of the event, and that he flagged away the cars from the start, and waved the chequered flag at the finish, of every edition of the Mille Miglia from 1927 to 1957.  I have found out a bit about his background but there is one piece of information that I am interested in.

I read somewhere that there was a falling out between Castagneto and the other organisers.  According to Giovani Lurani there was a difference between Castageto and Giovanni Canestrini (one of the other 'four musketeers') after the war - Canestrini wanting the race to be limited to an elite group of drivers, whilst Castagneto wanted as many participants as possible.

Does anyone have any knowledge of a 'falling out' between Castagneto and the other organisers - and if so was it simply over the principle of whether the Mille Miglia should be limited to the top few drivers, or open to anyone who wanted (and could afford) to enter?

Any information would be welcome.

Chris