Photo
- - - - -

Perez was lined up for 2014 Ferrari drive...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Laura23

Laura23

• 825 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:37

http://www.motorspor...-up-for-ferrari

Turns out Perez was being lined up by Ferrari to take Massa's seat in 2014. He was told to do another year at Sauber in 2013 but chose to move to McLaren instead. He had valid reasons for doing that even if in hindsight it was the wrong thing to do. 

Where does that leave Hulkenberg? Did he ever actually have a deal with Ferrari for 2014 or did they simply just tell him he was no longer a candidate? 

Advertisement

#2 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,559 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:43

to bad, I think Perez has potential, given time. 

#3 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:49

I expect that once Perez went to McLaren, Hulkenberg became their "reserve" choice for 2013, but between 2013 and 2014 of ccourse, Raikkonen became available.

#4 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,082 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:49

That's not surprising it all. He was in the Ferrari young driver program along with Bianchi and was being linked with Ferrari throughout 2012, in fact the McLaren's decision was much more surprising.

#5 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:51

http://www.motorspor...-up-for-ferrari

Turns out Perez was being lined up by Ferrari to take Massa's seat in 2014. He was told to do another year at Sauber in 2013 but chose to move to McLaren instead. He had valid reasons for doing that even if in hindsight it was the wrong thing to do. 

Where does that leave Hulkenberg? Did he ever actually have a deal with Ferrari for 2014 or did they simply just tell him he was no longer a candidate? 

Perez was asked 2012 for 2014 but went 2013 to McLaren, so his chance was over. Hulkenberg was in negotiations with Ferrari after Perez decided to drive for McLaren.

#6 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,446 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:53

Even with hindsight, I don't think it would have made much difference in terms of his career. For one, he would have joined Ferrari at just the wrong time as he did at McLaren. Secondly, although not helped by a difficult car, he would probably have been found out at Ferrari as he was at McLaren. If it wasn't for Maldonado, Sergio would be the standout clown in the field.

#7 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,429 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:19

Even with hindsight, I don't think it would have made much difference in terms of his career. For one, he would have joined Ferrari at just the wrong time as he did at McLaren. Secondly, although not helped by a difficult car, he would probably have been found out at Ferrari as he was at McLaren. If it wasn't for Maldonado, Sergio would be the standout clown in the field.

I think he was guilty of trying too hard at the beginning with McLaren - got involved in some silly incidents. In the second half of the season he outscored Button, was much more competitive than Magnussen for example.

#8 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,591 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:52

"Stay at Sauber" = please keep our options open for us.

"Here's a contract" = lined up for a drive.

I think Sergio may have over egged the pudding here.

#9 TurnOffTheLights

TurnOffTheLights

• 755 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 15:48

There were a lot of rumours about Perez replacing Massa during 2012, when he indeed had some fantastic drives:

http://www.gptoday.c...e_than_rumours/

In autumn 2012 Montezemolo stated, that 2013 would be too early for Perez to join Ferrari indicating that he might be a candidate for 2014:

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102478

So absolutely nothing new here.Just Perez trying to remind everyone that he once was a highly valued potential star in the making, now that he has a reputation of a journeyman.

Edited by TurnOffTheLights, 20 August 2015 - 15:50.

#10 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 22:41

In the second half of the season he outscored Button

He didn't. 

Standings after the Hungarian GP (10th GP of the season): Button 39 - Perez 18

Standings after the Brazilian GP:  Button 73 - Perez 49

Second half score: Button 34 - Perez 31

Or, if you prefer the cut-off after the German GP (the 2013 season had 19 races, which is an uneven number): 

Standings after the German GP (9th GP of the season): Button 33 - Perez 16

Second half score: Button 40 - Perez 33

#11 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 00:25

Ferrari dodged a bullet.

#12 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:19

I think it's understandable. Perez had a very strong 2012. He had some rough edges, but turned in several outstanding performances and should have won in Malaysia. His problem is that, for whatever reason, he doesn't seem to have kicked on since then.

#13 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:22

He should not have given that Malaysia win away. I think his career would have been different. 

#14 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,559 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:00

A second year at mclaren might have helped also. It was quite clear he got stronger during the year. In the handling of both Perez and Magnussen McLaren have shown very poor driver management skills. My feeling they expected Hamilton performances, forgetting Hamilton had years of experience with McLaren before entering F1 with them.

I believe Perez has it in him to become a front runner, not sure if that is wdc material but I'm afraid the mclaren year hurt his career

#15 TurnOffTheLights

TurnOffTheLights

• 755 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:16

He should not have given that Malaysia win away. I think his career would have been different. 

I don't know. He most probably would have landed at McLaren anyway, so not that much of a difference. His career would have been different, if he was able to beat Button, though.

A race win alone doesn't make a career. It can help to be recognised, but if you don't deliver, it's still game over.

#16 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:35

He didn't. 

Standings after the Hungarian GP (10th GP of the season): Button 39 - Perez 18

Second half score: Button 34 - Perez 31

Or, if you prefer the cut-off after the German GP (the 2013 season had 19 races, which is an uneven number): 

Standings after the German GP (9th GP of the season): Button 33 - Perez 16

Second half score: Button 40 - Perez 33

But they were evenly matched in the 2nd season half, weren't they?

I think Perez is generally a bit underrated. He outscored Hulkenberg last year in the 2nd season half, and was this year in the first third also better. I think he just has to much off-races ("brain farts") and a bad reputation (as I said: apparently McLaren just replaced him because he lacked of giving a good feedback to the engineers).

#17 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:53

Yea Perez was a Ferrari development driver. Was part of the reason he was at Sauber in the first place. These talks were back in 2012, though. Hulkenberg was set to drive there later on in 2013.

#18 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,885 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:55

I think he just has to much off-races ("brain farts") 

:p  You learned something from the other thread? :p

#19 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:56

But they were evenly matched in the 2nd season half, weren't they?

I think Perez is generally a bit underrated. He outscored Hulkenberg last year in the 2nd season half, and was this year in the first third also better. I think he just has to much off-races ("brain farts") and a bad reputation (as I said: apparently McLaren just replaced him because he lacked of giving a good feedback to the engineers).

Perez always had potential and talent. But as you say, he has way too many off days and he's never matured into a more consistent, less erratic driver despite being well experienced by now. That's why no, he's not underrated.

Advertisement

#20 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:06

:p  You learned something from the other thread? :p

:p I put it in quotation marks so Im well off :lol:

Perez always had potential and talent. But as you say, he has way too many off days and he's never matured into a more consistent, less erratic driver despite being well experienced by now. That's why no, he's not underrated.

Underrated in the way: Paydriver, crash kid, the clown if we didnt had Pastor and whatever. He is a solid driver who beat on ocassions the likes of Button and over a longer distance (between Hungary 2014-Monaco 2015) Hulkenberg. He is far away from beeing WDC material and also not a top driver but he is solid.

#21 SonJR

SonJR

• 441 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:16

Kudos for what he did in 2012, especially on his specialties of alternate strategies and tyre management, but I reckon he was rather flattered by the 2012 Sauber, which Ferrari would've known too. Reasonable that they were just keeping their options open, even if I remember reading that even before his move to McLaren his stock dropped within the FDA due to Bianchi being more impressive in tests and the simulator.

#22 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:28

:p I put it in quotation marks so Im well off :lol:

Underrated in the way: Paydriver, crash kid, the clown if we didnt had Pastor and whatever. He is a solid driver who beat on ocassions the likes of Button and over a longer distance (between Hungary 2014-Monaco 2015) Hulkenberg. He is far away from beeing WDC material and also not a top driver but he is solid.

He's consistently outscored by teammates over a season because he's not consistent. He's quick at times, but I can't call him solid when he has problems bringing in results on a regular basis, which is the most important part of being an F1 driver.

#23 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:22

Wasnt it something about an 'attitude problem' that rubbed him the wrong way while at Macca?
And yeah being a rookie at McLaren post Lewis a poisoned chalice if there ever was one.

#24 krea

krea

• 2,182 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:27

Well, it doesn't really matter. He performed so badly at McLaren and Hülkenberg is beating him quite easily that it was Ferrari which avoided a silver bullet here.

#25 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:10

Ferrari dodged a bullet.

They dodged one bullet and fell straight into the path of another; Raikkonen...

I guess it's better than Webber who was floated at the time.

#26 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:12

Wasnt it something about an 'attitude problem' that rubbed him the wrong way while at Macca?
And yeah being a rookie at McLaren post Lewis a poisoned chalice if there ever was one.

Don't worry, now instead of beating Button to keep the seat now they have to beat Alonso. Vandoomed.

#27 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:36

He shouldn't wonder what if? 

He'd have been partnered with Hulkenberg and we have enough evidence to assume he would have been beaten, thus his stock would have gone down within Ferrari. There's no way they would have taken him once Ferrari learnt Raikkonen was available. If you have a guaranteed offer to join a top team immediately then you should take it because it may not come again. Although his McLaren stint has probably tarnished him from ever joining a top team again, had he not gone there I am sure he would be like Nico and be a driver who is always waiting for his opportunity but it never comes.

#28 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:18

I don't know. He most probably would have landed at McLaren anyway, so not that much of a difference. His career would have been different, if he was able to beat Button, though.

A race win alone doesn't make a career. It can help to be recognised, but if you don't deliver, it's still game over.

I think it was more that he felt he was a GP winner, but he wasn't. He needed to get that into the stats and started to drive like a ******. 

#29 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 20:14

That's not surprising it all. He was in the Ferrari young driver program along with Bianchi and was being linked with Ferrari throughout 2012, in fact the McLaren's decision was much more surprising.

Not really, i remember such a thing happening with another Ferrari prospect in early 2000's   ;)

#30 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 20:21

IIRC correctly, Perez didn't score a single point after signing for McLaren for the rest of the 2012 season. That's when things started to go wrong, which suggested to me that he wasn't one of the top guys back in late 2012 already.