The ideal Grand Prix weekend lineup?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ammo11

Ammo11

• 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 14:44

Hi everyone :wave: , first post here. 

Anyway, before I get on with the topic, I know that there is a topic on the ideal racing weekend:
http://forums.autosp...l-race-weekend/

But my topic here is more towards the lineup of a Grand Prix weekend, specifically what kind of racing series that should accompany the Formula 1 circus for the whole of the season. 

IMHO the GP weekend lineup currently is so-so (never really got hooked with GP2 or GP3 to be frank, nor interested with the Porsche Supercups for that matter), but not having a fully certified FIA World Championship feeder series to support F1 is a bit of a shame. (tho that will change slightly change when F2 becomes that next year)

I will be using MotoGP as a direct comparison as they have Moto2 and Moto3 as World Championship level feeder series while for good measure the Red Bull KTM Rookies Cup in Europe and the Shell Advance Asia Talent Cup serve as regional development championships to prepare the young riders for higher tiers.

Here's my own personal lineup:

Formula 1,  Formula 2 , Formula 3 (as World Championship level) and Formula 4 (as regional or national level championship) , here's an explanation.

Obviously Formula 1 is the main course on the weekend where the crowds come to see.

If finally a Formula 2 support category were to race on the same weekend, it can help with the single seater feeder series ladder and champions from that category can be recognised as proper world champions like their counterparts in Moto2 as opposed to becoming "Bernie's series champion" :lol:

Likewise Formula 3 should also prolly have their own World Championship to complement World Championship Formula 2. Main reason of course is that indeed regional and national Formula 3 championships are either struggling or even have folded (British Formula 3 and German Formula 3 most notably), so having a World Championship level Formula 3 may be beneficial for drivers who want to have a better opportunity to climb thru the single seater ranks. Plus, they have the luxury of being a Formula 3 World Champion rather being (again, "Bernie's series champion") :lol:

And finally for Formula 4 , it will be even better if Formula 4 was part of the GP weekend schedule as the young drivers get to be part of the atmosphere of a World Championship weekend and prolly some attention from higher tier team principles.  :D  The best way to implement this is having the national or regional Formula 4 championships race on the GP weekend. For example, let's say during the Australian Grand Prix weekend the Australian Formula 4 championship races that time, and so on. While others may be sorted like : Formula 4 SEA  for the Malaysian and Singaporean GPs, Formula 4 UAE for Abu Dhabi , SMP/NEZ F4 for Russia and so on etc.

Okay while this may be a bit far fetched and long post (tl;dr predicted) but had to really get this across cos kinda feel (I supposed that everyone feels the same way) that the single seater ladder and the current state of it is complicated at best, so if the GP weekend employed the same thing the like MotoGP structure then we will prolly have a better recognized junior category champions (even Moto3 riders like Álex Márquez has his own flag), and plus Formula 2 and Formula 3 will also be better streamlined for young drivers to choose.

Any other suggestions of how to improve the GP weekend schedule?

Advertisement

#2 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,425 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 14:57

I quite like the lineup as it is, i must say.

#3 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 15:26

The current one.

The GP2 cars are fun to watch (and at least still sound like GP cars should)  and I actually quite enjoyed seeing the Porsche cars too when I went.

Edited by Jon83, 04 March 2016 - 15:28.

#4 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,271 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 15:41

I don't agree. I actually think MotoGP does it wrong. You can't be a world champion if there's a whole other level above you.

I'd rather see a secondary formula (GP2/F2/whatever) that follows F1. Then a space for a local single seater championship (Local F3 or similar) and then a race for a high level local touring car or GT race.

#5 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 16:50

Moto3, Moto 2 and MotoGP.

Simple really.

Pay as you race, what an utterly crass and stupid comment. Of course you can be a world champion in any class, what a ridiculous thing to say. Bernie and the FIA wont allow any other series to HAVE world champions.

It has been in force in bike racing since the 50's, so has always been a part of motorcycle racing at the top level. Just coz it doesnt happen in the dreary and hideously dull work of top line motorsport does not make it wrong, it just makes it better! 

I would say that World Super bike champion is perhaps not a world series befitting the name, perhaps just superbike champion.

But you have world speedway, world motocross, world bloody rallycrosss for goodness sake, its juts a title

Edited by chunder27, 04 March 2016 - 16:51.

#6 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 17:02

Excellent line-up, I'd say.

Just as an addition, if there would be no world champions for the F2, F3 and F4 classes, Grands Prix weekends could have regional or even national championships line-up alongside F1.

So with European Grands Prix there would be European F3 and perhaps British or Italian F4 races, while in Asian GPs there would be Asia-Pacific F2 or Super Formula, and Japanese or Chinese F4.