Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s (Part Two)

• Please log in to reply
2081 replies to this topic

#2051 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,465 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 11:03

We may well have an answer to the 'Lakeside' photo shown in post 2035 that had us stumped.

Mark posted on a couple of FB sites and various responses came about, but Quentin Miles came up with some photographic evidence.

To find out where, click here... (it's Queensland, but not Lakeside and info is still very thin)

https://primotipo.co...imb-gold-coast/

Stephen

All makes sense ,twice Jane with Firth towed the Maserati 300S up to :Lowood for meetings ,behind his race winning Jaguar mark II and raced both cars.

This photo of the Rice trailer being towed by another car ,perhaps is the time the Jaguars tailshaft failed  at the ATCC 1961.

Edited by Lola5000, 30 September 2019 - 11:07.

Advertisement

#2052 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 229 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 02:20

Thanks Stephen, Rob,

Let’s see what folks come forward with over the next week or so, my AMS Collection is too skinny to be of much use in terms of meeting dates I am afraid

Mark

#2053 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,135 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:31

I cannot find the ATCC at Lowood report!

I'd have thought that would give a clue, but I found that Jane had the Maserati and the Jag at the June (Gold Star) meeting.

Normally you could count on the 'coming events' notices, but there doesn't seem to be anything there about a hillclimb.

#2054 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,465 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:34

I cannot find the ATCC at Lowood report!

I'd have thought that would give a clue, but I found that Jane had the Maserati and the Jag at the June (Gold Star) meeting.

Normally you could count on the 'coming events' notices, but there doesn't seem to be anything there about a hillclimb.

September 1961

#2055 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,419 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:12

As I mentioned to Mark via email, I suspect that the Currumbin HC photos are 2 different events shown in the colour photos.

I'm not aware of reports for this hillclimb, not saying they don't exist, but it might be QMSC or QRDC newsletters or a Qld newspaper report that reveal something (even just a date). 

To complicate things, I'm aware of at least 5 meetings Bob Jane took the 300S to Lowood (and there could be more). If we take the Lowood path as his reasoning for being in Qld then remember that circuit was QRDC operated, not QMSC (Lakeside from March 61). To help from another view, I currently have the October 1960 Bathurst meeting as the earliest listing where Autoland is the entrant, rather than simply R Jane in many instances..

14/6/59 - 300S

12/6/60 - 300S

4/9/60 - 300S

11/6/61 - Jaguar/300S

4/9/61 - Jaguar/300S

The last mentioned being the ATCC meeting has race reports in the November issues of AMS, Modern Motor and SCW.

My Lakeside file is less complete in this era, because it's so hard to find programmes. Not that Lowood ones are easy.

I have a note that there was a Bob Jane 300S photo in the large batch of Qld colour photos that twinny or Ray posted maybe 7 or 8 years ago on the locked kaydee Qz photos thread. From memory they later found their way on to the Brian Darby aussieroadracing site. So probably the easiest to check, can't remember if all the dating that was added to TNF made it though.

Stephen

#2056 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,135 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:22

Definitely not the same day, Stephen...

You can see by different water levels in the creek (one's almost dry), no building on the left side of the road and other features.

I will try (when I get a chance) to make contact with someone in the Gold Coast Car Club, there's bound to be someone who was there and remembers this stuff.

#2057 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 5,705 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 19:37

Might Andrew Fellowes be able to help with possible old contacts?
Roger Lund

#2058 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,465 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 22:28

As I mentioned to Mark via email, I suspect that the Currumbin HC photos are 2 different events shown in the colour photos.

I'm not aware of reports for this hillclimb, not saying they don't exist, but it might be QMSC or QRDC newsletters or a Qld newspaper report that reveal something (even just a date). 

To complicate things, I'm aware of at least 5 meetings Bob Jane took the 300S to Lowood (and there could be more). If we take the Lowood path as his reasoning for being in Qld then remember that circuit was QRDC operated, not QMSC (Lakeside from March 61). To help from another view, I currently have the October 1960 Bathurst meeting as the earliest listing where Autoland is the entrant, rather than simply R Jane in many instances..

14/6/59 - 300S

12/6/60 - 300S

4/9/60 - 300S

11/6/61 - Jaguar/300S

4/9/61 - Jaguar/300S

The last mentioned being the ATCC meeting has race reports in the November issues of AMS, Modern Motor and SCW.

My Lakeside file is less complete in this era, because it's so hard to find programmes. Not that Lowood ones are easy.

I have a note that there was a Bob Jane 300S photo in the large batch of Qld colour photos that twinny or Ray posted maybe 7 or 8 years ago on the locked kaydee Qz photos thread. From memory they later found their way on to the Brian Darby aussieroadracing site. So probably the easiest to check, can't remember if all the dating that was added to TNF made it though.

Stephen

Would have been some adventure those trips, BJ,Firth towing an enclosed tandem trailer behind the race set up Mark II with spares ect.

Could never understand at the height of his then wealth in the early 80s that Jane would auction/sell off the lwt E-type and the 300S,considering how long he owned the two cars,all the storage area he had at his race shop.

#2059 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,135 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 05:08

I found this note in Spotlight with regard to his trip to Lowood for the ATCC:

MELBOURNE'S Bob Jane had a less successful Lowood than last time, when he carried off most of the silverware.

After dragging the 3.8 Jaguar and the Maser from Melbourne to the Gold Coast he was leaving Surfer's on the morning of the meeting when his tender car broke a half-shaft. There was several minutes of panic until another driver arrived on the scene with a spare tender, of all things. Even so, the Autoland equipe arrived a little late.

Then to top everything off the Jaguar ripped a rear spring shackle loose in the third lap of the title after Jane was right in the thick of the fun. Still the Maser won him a G.T. class trophy in another four-lapper.

Edited by Ray Bell, 02 October 2019 - 05:10.

Advertisement

#2060 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,340 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:21

Haven't posted for a bit so a couple from Warwick Farm (1 for James) and 1 for Seldo from Catalina in 1967. All courtesy of Dick Simpson (rasimmo).8864-F-Gard-68-TNF.jpg8867-F-Elf-Mon-68-TNF.jpg9004-F-Volvo-67-TNF.jpg

#2061 seldo

seldo

• 2,135 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:51

T

Haven't posted for a bit so a couple from Warwick Farm (1 for James) and 1 for Seldo from Catalina in 1967. All courtesy of Dick Simpson (rasimmo).8864-F-Gard-68-TNF.jpg8867-F-Elf-Mon-68-TNF.jpg9004-F-Volvo-67-TNF.jpg

Thanks Lindsay. :) One of my kids asked me the other day why I used #63 as my number....

Pretty simple - one of the first race meetings I entered they gave me # 63, and since the numbers used to cost $5 ea, and there were 6 of them, from then on I used to ask for #63 to save changing them and save $30 a meeting....

Simples... :)

#2062 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 7,429 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 20:54

Looks like one of the Revell Vees being unloaded, in the background of Seldo's photo.

I think that's the 'A. Revell & Co.' truck...

#2063 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,135 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 21:11

And the Paul Meyer Elan is there too...

Behind the Bellet.

#2064 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,907 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 22:36

T

Thanks Lindsay. :) One of my kids asked me the other day why I used #63 as my number....

Pretty simple - one of the first race meetings I entered they gave me # 63, and since the numbers used to cost $5 ea, and there were 6 of them, from then on I used to ask for #63 to save changing them and save $30 a meeting....

Simples... :)

You must have been rich,,, I always cut my own from 77 through to the late 90s. When I had very cheap signs by a local shop.

Entry fees were $30 for a Touring car round in 1982 and I normally made more than that in prize money for over 3 litre. Running just outside the top 10. Lots of quick small cars in those days. This in my ex Rallycross HR on slicks.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 18 October 2019 - 22:59.

#2065 seldo

seldo

• 2,135 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 13:38

You must have been rich,,, I always cut my own from 77 through to the late 90s. When I had very cheap signs by a local shop.

Entry fees were $30 for a Touring car round in 1982 and I normally made more than that in prize money for over 3 litre. Running just outside the top 10. Lots of quick small cars in those days. This in my ex Rallycross HR on slicks.

Ahh - Lee. I've always tried to follow the principle to "do it once, do it right" and I acknowledge I wasn't very good at cutting-out numbers... I did try... Presentation was always important, and far too often I've had people say "Oh, I made them myself"....

"Yeah Really ........?"  :)

#2066 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,135 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 20:38

In the early sixties it was possible to take your road-going MGA to the track and start racing. Some did the same thing on the same day in a TR...

1119annbennettandfriend.jpg

#2067 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,135 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 21:09

Stephen might have something on this one, an early sixties 'Ladies Race' at Calder:

1119fr-ABlotus7and18calder.jpg

Ann Bennett driving the Colwell Lotus 7, she wasn't sure who it was in the 18.

1119fr-ABracingatcalder.jpg

Apparently she was pretty quick...

1119fr-ABwithbeecheyandthomson.jpg

And some of the blokes were quick to be by her side. Is the one on the left really Bryan Thomson?

#2068 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,340 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 23:17

Great shot.....  

#2069 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,419 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 01:09

Ray, the Calder 44 Colwell/Bennett Lotus 7 shot is from Len Shaw's camera at the May 64 meeting. A heavily cropped version is in the July 64 Autosportsman Calder report. John Colwell's car was mentioned for sale in May 64 Autosportsman and an advert in July issue. So perhaps a bit of a test drive for Ann in the Ladies Handicap race, where she came 2nd and clocked a best lap of 54.5. 

The July 64 AMS best covers the Ladies race, with 9 drivers said to have taken part.and named. Kaye Whiteford Mini 850, Ann Malden Mini 850 convertible (will be a Birchwood car), Dianne Leighton Lotus Elite, Joyce Cooper Lipco, Lorraine Hill Lotus 7, Alice Thew Renault Dauphine, Mrs Mel McEwin Elfin 1500, Helene Bittner Vitesse (Elfin type), Pam Elam Mini Cooper

Although 2 of those cars were rear-engine open wheelers, no Lotus 18 is mentioned.

Unfortunately I don't have the May programme and given Birchwood Lotus 18s were a moving feast of drivers (there's 3 listed in the April 64 Calder programme), I'm not sure. So either Ann ran another race as well or given Birchwood was Jon Leighton, maybe his sister-in-law ran a 'School' 18 and not her Elite (but I have nothing to confirm that).

Joyce won and Lorraine was 3rd behind Ann.

That looks like a young Thommo to me.

Stephen

#2070 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,419 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:58

The 'Melbourne Centre' reference in the 107 MGA, 356 and SP250 photo made me think that MG's Safety Fast magazine was the source. As it turns out January 1963 issue.

Within the Melbourne Centre text (not shown by Ray's photo) there's brief mention of an LCCA run Cup Day Calder meeting. However my suspicions turn to the June 1962 Calder meeting where Ann was car 107 and Jim Abbott/Len Shaw #33 Daimler. As for the 356 I can't quite get a number and there's several 356 entrants. Some can be dismissed by colour, but it still doesn't give an easy answer.

Stephen

#2071 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,135 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 14:10

Actually, Stephen, I think Ann did mention Lorraine Hill in the 18...

But I can't be sure.

No comments about Allan Moffat in the photo from VWA?

#2072 john medley

john medley

• 1,397 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 19:24

Lipco driver Joyce Cooper named by Stephen above as winning a ladies' handicap is Joyce Russell, esteemed spouse of Historic racer Jim "Stumpy" Russell, and mother of my self-appointed Godson Ben

#2073 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,135 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 22:38

And the race report in RCN concludes:

Joyce didn't hit the front until the last lap and crossed the line less than a second in front of fast-finishing Anne (sic) Bennett, Lorraine Hill was third a short distance away. Early leader, Alice Thew (Renault Dauphine) had to stop at the pits to remove a dragging muffler and lost her chances of a victory. Norma McEwin (Elfin) was going well until she went a bit too wide at Repco in lap 3 and dropped a couple of places. Hubby Mel minded the new infant in the pits while she raced!

That does make it sound like Lorraine was in the 18. I will try to phone Ann and check.

Edited by Ray Bell, 03 November 2019 - 22:39.

#2074 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,419 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:48

Ray, Although not ideal. when I 'stretch' the Lotus 7 & 18 photo on the ipad, I struggle to think it's a ladies face hiding under the goggles in car 11. I'm more inclined to think Ann ran more than one race that day. Would also fit the typical Calder scenario to run a large number of events at each meeting and give competitors and spectators some value.

As for the VWA photo, from that cryptic point I take it you mean VW Australia? Moffat did race a VW at the March 63 Calder (and perhaps others). Unless you mean at the same meeting, when there was a car entered as a 'V.W.A' by M V Jackman.

Does anyone have the May 64 Calder programme to tell us about Birchwood School's number 11 Lotus 18 please?

Stephen

#2075 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,135 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:18

Moffat and Ann were working together at VW Australia...

She told him she was going out to race her MG at Calder, he had his TR and said, "Okay, I will go too."

As for the Seven, it may have raced the rest of the day in the hands of John Colwell, the owner and later Ann's husband, but neither is mentioned in relation to any other race. Lorraine Hill retired from the earlier Sports Car race so it's possible she was dropped into the Birchwood 18 to keep up the numbers.

Marc tells me he has a list of all driver who raced Birchwood 18s.

#2076 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,419 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:14

This seems about the most logical place to put this David Blanch / Autopics.com.au statement.

Stephen

Autopics Changes Hands

After 20 years of Autopics it is with regret, due to my ill health, we have had to hand over Autopics.com.au to a enthusiastic motor racing couple, Kim & Rob Coulson.

Kim & Rob are based in Melbourne and will take over 1st December 2019.

I will be assisting them through a transition period to ensure a smooth handover of the business with no major changes planned for the short term.

The phone number - 0407869680 - and the email - info@autopics.com.au - will remain the same and the website will operate as per usual.

Both Cheryl and I wish to thank all our loyal customers for your support and we will miss the friendships and good times we have had at race meetings over the years.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any queries.

Cheers

David & Cheryl

#2077 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,135 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:52

One hopes that their being in Melbourne will give them a chance to add the Greg Falconer pics to the collection...

There's a mountain of stuff there from the seventies through to the nineties which nothing is going to happen with unless someone like Autopics gets them.

#2078 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,419 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:12

Back on page 41 of this thread we were trying to sort out a candidate for a photo Mark Bisset had dug up (begins post 2035) and by the end of the page we had an answer. Or more the point primotipo had an answer. That being Currumbin Hillcliimb in Qld.

On Tuesday (Melbourne Cup Day here in Melb) I went to a swap meet and found a few trinkets to fill a gap or two. One was the March 57 Modern Motor and going through it reveals a brief report in the Sportlight page for Pacific Car Club running Burleigh hillclimb on New Year's Eve (31/12/56). So is the reference of Burleigh likely to be the same venue as Currumbin? I'm guessing it's likely.

For what it's worth, newcomer George Smith spun, hit the bank & rolled his TC and Dick Hamilton bent his XK120 at the same spot. FTD went to Steve Ames (Count Stephen Ouvaroff) 100S, 2nd Rex Taylor in the ex Davo Alfa P3 and 3rd Jim Poteri AH.

If you look at primotipo, Brian Lear has responded in the comments of the Currumbin piece and some other dates are listed.

Stephen

#2079 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,135 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:07

I'm sure they were different locations...

There are two suburbs separating Burleigh and Currumbin, Palm Beach and Elanora.

Advertisement

#2080 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,419 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:33

A little more scratching of the surface of this Burleigh / Currumbin Hillclimb scenario and here's a bit more for the jigsaw.

I'm well aware published start of year motor racing calendars should only be used as a guide to look elsewhere to help confirm if an event did actually take place. But at the moment the following will have to suffice. Noting that the event briefly reported in March 57 Modern Motor isn't listed.

#6 Winser AMR Annual - What’s on in 1956 – Jan 1 Qld, Burleigh Hillclimb (PCC) June 17 Qld, Burleigh Hillclimb (PCC),  July 22 Qld, Burleigh Hillclimb (PCC) p128

#8 Winser AMR Annual - PCC Contact - Pacific Car Club Sec T McNeil, 4 Fourth Avenue Southport , Qld. Phone Southport B 3345 p93

#9 Winser AMR Annual - Australia’s Hillclimb’s – Currumbin Qld – All sealed 750-yards long and as tricky as any circuit in Australia, this course is an important attraction on Queensland’s Gold Coast. The record is 47.5 seconds held by Ivan Tighe (Vincent). p32 – 35

1963 Burleigh reference to Joe Marano running the HRG/Godfrey special/Buchanan here

http://www.buchananm...anan Holden.htm

Ken Ebeling credited photo of his TR2 with an MG TD in the pits at Burleigh

https://www.mgccq.org.au/nostalgia6

Stephen

#2081 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,135 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 13:22

No times or lengths for Burleigh...

That would be a real clue that they are different.

#2082 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 229 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 19:30

Thanks Stephen,
Have added these great tidbits into the Currumbin piece, bit by bit the picture is becoming clearer, been distracted by Darley in the last few days!
M