Photo

Offshore power boats and racing drivers

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RobMk2a

RobMk2a

• 262 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 13:19

In my research on TVR racing history, I've found a number of racing drivers who in the mid 60's subsequently became 'off shore' power boat racers taking part in such races as Round Britain and Cowes - Torquay.

Drivers include Tommy Sopwith Equipe Endeavour within Tramontana with 4 Jaguar E Type engines, Telstar and others, Timo Makinen Avenger Too, Norman Barclay UFO, Keith Schellenberg Blue Moppie, John Kennerley Maltese Magnum Twin, The Hon Edward Greenall GEE 185. Others possibly include Digby Martland ? and Charles de Selincourt (Bill's brother?). Although not racing drivers Colonel Ronnie Hoare and Ted Toleman took part in the Cowes Torquay Cowes race.

Both Norman Barclay and John Kennerley raced TVR's (although on limited occasions) I've also come across a power boat champion Ken Cassir, does anyone know if he is GK Cassir who raced a TVR Climax at Silverstone MGCC May 1959.

Note I've just found that both Vernair Transport Services (Part of Vernon Pools) where Kennerley was a director and KC Aviation whose aircraft were registered to G Cassir and run by Ken Cassir were both based at Liverpool Airport. Kennerley and Cassir shared a power boat in one race. It seems likely that there is a link. Any firm information gratefully received.

Thank you for your help.

Rob Pennington

Edited by RobMk2a, 02 April 2016 - 19:56.