Forza Apex (windows 10)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,952 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 19:56

So, Forza is now a windows game....

Downloaded it and tried a few races, and first impressions are mixed. I konw it still is a beta, and that things will probably change, but relasing it without wheel support (it does not recognize my G27 pedal movements i.e.) is a bit of a let down. Also the specs requiered to make this game run 60fps is pretty insane. My intel i7-3770 cpu, 16gb ram and nvidia 680 gfx combo does not run this at 60fps in 1080p at the lowest settings... It almost does, and if i turn the gfx down to 720p it seems to do 60fps constant (mind you i have not driven all tracks yet). I know the Nvidia 680gtx is not the latest in GFX cards, but it does compare pretty ok to newer cards if you keep the resolution to maximum 1920x1080 (as i do).

To be this HW demanding, it doesn't look that much better than the racing sims available. I bet it does look amazing with all gfx on and in higher resolutions though, but that is not for my current gaming computer. As for the sounds, they are pretty good (Forza has allways had good sounds on the xbox).

The handling is very Forza, and by that i mean good fun, but not really a "Sim". The controller is working pretty good, but i would love to try it out with my wheel and pedals if they make it support the G27. Also, i have not driven alone on the track yet (except for the bowling "race" i had to endure), as i didn't find a "practice" option at first glance (probably just me being blind).

Made a quick video a lap of Yas Marina at night, The top gear track in the rain (car bowling) and a lap of Spa in a ferrari in dry conditions with the sun sitting low on the sky.

Advertisement

#2 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 21:02

**** them, it won't run with my laptop. :p

#3 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,952 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 21:05

**** them, it won't run with my laptop. :p

It nearly didn't on my desktop computer :)

#4 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 21:21

Heh, I got this ProBook  two year ago and only racing game it manages to run smooth is GT Legends. :p

#5 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:59

So, no support for Wheels, or HMD ? in 2016 ?

They do know they are writing a game for a PC, don't they ?

#6 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,952 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:48

So, no support for Wheels, or HMD ? in 2016 ?

They do know they are writing a game for a PC, don't they ?

It is still in beta, and as far as i have read, wheel support will get there (though not sure if they only support a selection of wheels, or if there is going to be support for all kinds of setups). The game itself does feel like an xbox game in the sense that is it very much like other Forza games when it comes to menu system etc. The low framerate is a problem though, as even though it looks pretty good with the gfx turned all the way down, i still feel i should get a bit better framerate at 1080p when i compare to other racing sims that i have installed on my computer. I guess the problem is the directX 12, that my card supports, but doesn't have any hardware to back up :p

#7 Mark8539

Mark8539

• 38 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:07

It runs great with my i7-4770K and 780ti but only after I upgraded my memory from 8GB to 16GB. With 8GB the graphics were super stuttery, with 16GB it is nice and smooth. It does run my CPU at temperatures it has never seen before though - 83 degrees C despite having a sealed water cooler. Normally my maximum temperature is about 72 degrees C.

#8 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,952 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:50

I noticed as i progressed, races got more ai opponents, and that made the game unplayable with my HW... guess my nvidia 680 card is just a few generations to old for the effects used in this game...

#9 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:57

It is still in beta, and as far as i have read, wheel support will get there

Ah yes, the modern PC market. :stoned: Now you can just release games, say they're 'in beta' and string people along for years. Who even remembers beta was the stage in the development cycle when a particular version of the software was feature complete?

Anyway, more to the point: Microsoft has a great opportunity here. Forza has an impressive library of licensed cars and tracks, and the PC market for a competent and complete game has been very barren indeed. Forza's take on AI has been very interesting as well, which is one of the things holding back a lot of other PC racing games.

It's understandable, if still a shame, that this will only run on Windows 10.