Silverstone Classic - hints and tips?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wilsongt

wilsongt

• 71 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:21

Hello,

I plan to take my 2 young boys (13 and 9) on a camping trip to the up coming classic festival at Silverstone. Expose them to the sights and sound of proper cars, etc, etc.

Does anyone have any hints and tips they would like to pass on, to make their experience a positive memorable one?

Regards
Glenn

Advertisement

#2 Automobiliart

Automobiliart

• 37 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:53

Hi Glenn
I've gone to the last 3 Classics sketching live here and there, and though my art will be on display there (Historic Car Art Gallery - Rupert Whyte), I can't make it this year.

Silverstone is vast, and there are lots of things to see. It's important to have good walking shoes as to comfortably see as much as possible. Also be ready for any weather ... rain coats and sun-block!!

It's important to have ear-plugs so that you can wander through the garages safely ... a Cosworth engine is very loud!!
Bring at least some water and snacks along, if not a whole lunch (food isn't cheap, or great).

The Club displays are worth seeing too, and are always very welcoming ... bring a good camera to also take pics of the boys sitting in cool cars.

I love it there, and miss not going ... please give my best to the Jason and Pippa, the lovely couple of the Motor Sport magazine stand; they are wonderful!

Have fun!!!

Cheers!
Paul

#3 john aston

john aston

• 2,699 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 14:53

I haven't missed one in years. This is what I have learned-

- do all 3 days if you can. And if you get there on Thurs afternoon watch practice and wander around garages

- get in early (my secret route is via backroads leading me to Silverstone Village and no A43)

- be prepared for heatwaves and /or  torrential downpours. I am not joking .

- remember there are two pits; the old ones near Copse are used for saloons and 'lower' formulae and practice and racing tends to be in the morning for them . The Wing has F1 and Gp C etc and cars run in  the afternoon . Get there about an hour before the race and ...ahem..'qually' and wander around in the garages and pit lane (you can walk up to its edge ) to watch and hear cars leave pits .. 40 F1 cars passing 5ft away are something else - and as said do take ear protection, especially for kids

- remember there is a free shuttle bus around outer circuit and from main infield to Wing

- two driver races- get on edge of pitlane to watch them happen (very tolerant atmosphere - just be sensible and especially so when walking by cars in garages- a swinging rucksack can scratch something priceless so brief your lads on this)

- viewing racing - well, it's a crappy circuit for this because of demands of modern F1. Luffield is not bad and if you want overtaking excitement the entry to Village (grandstand or not) is best 

- pick your races carefully to watch ,  Don't miss stuff like saloons and F Junior (especially the latter, whcih runs early - 9am normally ) as you get monster grids and huge amounts of overtaking .Neither F1 nor Gp C feature much overtaking usually and are as good to watch during qually...

-the  car club stands are amazing . You will see stuff you never dreamed of seeing in real life (my favourite surprise was seeing the Ghia Willment Cobra- or was it the girl in the 275GTS ?) , Say hello to the old git on the  Lotus Seven Cub stand with R400 JPA car. C'est moi !

- food is not bad at all . Lots of choice .

- long days - 'stout walking shoes 'essential

Some grump will tell you it's overhyped, ,too pricey , not as good as the  Revival , inauthentic, not what it was and gone to the dogs . Ignore them- they are wrong - it is bloody brilliant if you make the effort to do it properly  :wave:         

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 15:22

I can't add much to what Paul and John have said, except that when I get tired (usually on the Sunday, after a couple of days walking around) and just want to sit for a few hours, I head for the stands at Vale/Club entry. Not much overtaking, but you're much closer to the track than at some other corners, and there's less of the 'Fortress Silverstone' atmosphere.

#5 geordiecraig101

geordiecraig101

• 109 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 19:44

I've done the Classic for the last 5 years and its the first event i get tickets sorted out for every year. Paul and John got it covered prity much, tho I would say make sure you take your lads on the big wheel which is normally in the trade area, its free to go on and the views you get are just stunning.

In terms of how the event runs, I've found the Friday tends to be the quietest day ( Less spectators / car clubs / stalls etc), Saturday is the busiest and Sunday has the end of festival type feel to it. 

Also keep any eye on the HSCC, and Masters Historic websites for info about the entries and time tables as they should start to be appearing soon. 

That's it really, just enjoy the weekend and pray that the rain stays away this year :).

#6 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 20:57

Not much to add except to reiterate that Silverstone is very exposed: the sun can be harsh there, and the rain heavy. I always end up taking a massive bag of supplies, including a waterproof, and a car rug as an alternative to sitting on hot concrete. Decent footwear for you and the boys is a must - you won't be wading through mud or gravel, but the pavements are pretty unforgiving.

The day-ending Group C race tends to be a bit processional, but the cars sound and look amazing. The saloon races tend to be the most eventful.

#7 wilsongt

wilsongt

• 71 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:25

Thank you so much all for taking the time, so much information and good advice!

Regards
Glenn

#8 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:56

As John said, the free shuttle buses around the outside (and also between the Wing and 'heritage' paddocks) are very helpful - it's a huge place - though their routes are sometimes a bit arbitrary. Think of it as a Magical Mystery Tour.

For food, don't disregard the Paddock Diner, as an alternative to the various catering stands in the centre of the circuit.  The Diner's been recently revamped (money from MotoGP, apparently) and the quality/price balance is quite competitive. For the last few Classics, they've tacked on an al fresco BBQ/beer set-up - and you may even be able to sit down!