Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Rosberg/Hamilton last lap incident, Austrian GP

• Please log in to reply
1624 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll (614 member(s) have cast votes)

Whose fault was it... for, you know, the incident?

1. Was it... Rosberg? (479 votes [78.01%])

Percentage of vote: 78.01%

2. Was it Hamilton? (He was involved too, right?) (47 votes [7.65%])

Percentage of vote: 7.65%

3. Racing incident. I guess it was a racing incident. (88 votes [14.33%])

Percentage of vote: 14.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1351 teejay

teejay

• 5,540 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 00:41

Wow, this has become more farcical than #brexit

According to myattitude though, England actually voted to stay in, because even when the result and evidence say otherwise, some imaginary thoughts overrule that.

Advertisement

#1352 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 779 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:20

I think we need some more white lines to clarify this situation once and for all.

Out of curious interest, has any ex driver (or current), journalist, or reporter said on record that the incident was Hamilton's fault at all?

Edited by Counterbalance, 06 July 2016 - 03:20.

#1353 NoDivergence

NoDivergence

• 2,279 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:23

I think we need some more white lines to clarify this situation once and for all.

Out of curious interest, has any ex driver (or current), journalist, or reporter said on record that the incident was Hamilton's fault at all?

Not if they value their careers, as they'd be the laughing stock of the entire racing community

#1354 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,664 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:28

Sorry if already posted...

Good look at the sequence from Giorgio Piola and Matt Somerfield.

Tech analysis: How much did brake-by-wire contribute to the Mercedes clash? http://www.motorspor...s-clash-795616/

#1355 teejay

teejay

• 5,540 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:36

Written this before, will write again.

IMHO - BBW failure is a total and utter BS excuse. 

When they cars had the failure in Canada - they both run way past braking points and wide when it hit. 

When Rosberg had his failure last year - ran wide.

How is that this failure was so different that he was able to slow down enough to turn in early enough to smack the INSIDE kurb in turn one? From the onboard from Lewis, he didn't eat him up under brakes at all, its the exit where it all begins.

If it failed into the last 2 of lap before corners - why did he not run wide at 8 or 9 - Turn 8 is a big brake application, and easy to run wide there. But nope, no issues. 

Give me a break.

Edited by teejay, 06 July 2016 - 03:38.

#1356 OO7

OO7

• 18,447 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:45

Sorry if already posted...

Good look at the sequence from Giorgio Piola and Matt Somerfield.

Tech analysis: How much did brake-by-wire contribute to the Mercedes clash? http://www.motorspor...s-clash-795616/

Brake-by-wire
The final nail in this coffin was Rosberg's brake-by-wire failure which allowed Hamilton to close in turn one and almost certainly played a part in their collision in turn two. Speaking about what had happened, Rosberg said: "It went into BBW mode on the second to last lap, going into the last two corners. "But then it was constant. I had 1/2/3 corners before that to get a feel and get used to it and in braking for Turn 2 I had a good feel and had everything under control."

Edited by OO7, 06 July 2016 - 03:47.

#1357 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,547 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:42

And :rotfl: on the 3 pages of pictures and lines.

Those 3 pages, i mean really, is the best thing i read since bourbon's vettel is the best driver of 2014.

Its was like 1 week of exercises, i am ripped from laughing.

Thank you guys for taking care of my health.

Edited by Boxerevo, 06 July 2016 - 04:44.

#1358 teejay

teejay

• 5,540 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:03

LOL @ bourbon's vettel - good times! 

#1359 Huffer

Huffer

• 840 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:03

The images and talk of who is in front based on track direction are all utter BS. Either people are smoking something or they're going out of their way to win an argument.

There is this view that Hamilton had no right to take the turn because of Rosberg's positioning, even if it meant him going straight off-track. There's talk about track position, drivers being able to hear other cars etc. It's all BS and misdirection - people are trying to come up with evidence that match their opinions, rather than adjusting their opinions based on the evidence. 

For me, there is one, and only one, important question to ask; which driver has complete view of the situation? Because if there's only one of the driver who has a complete visual overview, it's up to that driver and that driver alone, to ensure that (within reason) both cars negotiate the corner without serious incident. Note: the qualifier there; accidents, mistakes and bad judgement happens - a bit of contact is ok.

If it's both drivers, then they both share the responsibility. 

In the case of the incident, there's only one of the driver that has a clear view; Rosberg. He has the clear view of his opponents position and direction, as well as  the direction of the track. He will know that Hamilton HAS to turn and cannot judge where Rosberg is because Rosberg is behind Hamilton's field of view. Equally, Hamilton cannot know with any exactness where Rosberg is - he can only make a rough estimate with a large margin of error and try to take that into account with his own actions. 

Rosberg is the only one who can see the whole picture. He's entitled to make life tough on his opponent when passing - but he took it too far. He purposefully drove straight on, with the incorrect assumption that Hamilton is the one who has to avoid him. Wrong. It's up to Rosberg in this situation to take avoiding action. Nobody else. And not only did he fail to do this, he created the situation that led to the accident on purpose.

Whether he meant just to hang Hamilton out to dry, or force him off track or cause an accident is completely and utterly irrelevant. 

And this is where this incident is massively different from all the previous incidents such as Canada etc. Hamilton is a tough defender/overtaker - but he does these moves knowing that his opponent has the complete picture of the situation and all the information required to make a judgement call on where to put the car. Trying to compare this with other incidents as if to say "it's ok to do this because Hamilton makes similar moves" is again, total and utter BS and an attempt at misdirection.

Rosberg was in the wrong because out of the two drivers, he was the only one who could see the whole situation, who was responsible for talking avoiding action; and he failed to realise or ignored his simple fact. 

Edited by Huffer, 06 July 2016 - 06:12.

Advertisement

#1360 baddog

baddog

• 26,712 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:26

For me, there is one, and only one, important question to ask; which driver has complete view of the situation? Because if there's only one of the driver who has a complete visual overview, it's up to that driver and that driver alone, to ensure that (within reason) both cars negotiate the corner without serious incident. Note: the qualifier there; accidents, mistakes and bad judgement happens - a bit of contact is ok.

Nico DID turn in once he actually realised lewis was going to hit him but it was too little too late. Noone could accuse Nico of deliberately causing the accident. Lewis I believe did not deliberately cause the accident either.

Nico caused it because he did something unusual/unpredictable which his teammate did not (and could not be expected to) anticipate. If Lewis HAD seen he would hit Nico by turning in he would not have turned in, he is not a nutter. 

#1361 swintex

swintex

• 534 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:54

I blame SATO

You cannot be serious.

He was an innocent victim.

On this occasion.

#1362 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,181 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:56

I donĀ“t know if this video is posted here before...

Fan video.

Edited by Lotusseven, 06 July 2016 - 06:58.

#1363 teejay

teejay

• 5,540 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:12

How cool would that video with a ton of lines drawn on it ?

#1364 Marklar

Marklar

• 29,321 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:01

Depends. Has anyone asked Jackie Stewart yet? :D

#1365 teejay

teejay

• 5,540 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:20

Depends. Has anyone asked Jackie Stewart yet? :D

Stirling Moss would insist on them being white lines before anything else 

Jackie would say in his day he made the lines safer, and that he didn't go to parties like Lewis, thus it was Lewis's fault - then bill you 20k for comment appearance fee. 

#1366 Claudius

Claudius

• 3,169 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:59

Wow, this has become more farcical than #brexit

According to myattitude though, England actually voted to stay in, because even when the result and evidence say otherwise, some imaginary thoughts overrule that.

I don't believe that unless I see some hard facts like perpendicular lines on Brexit results...

#1367 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 4,540 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:09

Those 3 pages, i mean really, is the best thing i read since bourbon's vettel is the best driver of 2014.

Its was like 1 week of exercises, i am ripped from laughing.

Thank you guys for taking care of my health.

LOL @ bourbon's vettel - good times! 

It's so fun that this forum tolerates this kind of ****. Complaining about other users big style. But what ever suits you guys  :up:

Edited by 1Devil1, 06 July 2016 - 09:10.

#1368 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 7,910 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:17

rosbck.jpg

#1369 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 1,893 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:23

It's so fun that this forum tolerates this kind of ****. Complaining about other users big style. But what ever suits you guys  :up:

What complaint non-sense are you talking about? 

#1370 Okyo

Okyo

• 1,332 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:32

What complaint non-sense are you talking about? 

Think he was rather clear with his post.

#1371 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:34

I'm actually more interested in what JYS has to say than the incident itself......... 

It's only Wednesday...... and I need a laugh....... And the buggers at the bank have just taken their monthly chunk of my money for the house that they really own........

Does anyone have a spare Pot Noodle?

#1372 teejay

teejay

• 5,540 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:36

I wasn't  complaining - clearly said good times - my signature for a year was his initial quote. Amazing work and I thank him for posting it.

Edited by teejay, 06 July 2016 - 09:37.

#1373 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 3,754 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:38

I wish you guys would stop posting those pictures - it is gobbling up my monthly bandwidth allowance....

#1374 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 7,910 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:41

I wish you guys would stop posting those pictures - it is gobbling up my monthly bandwidth allowance....

I compressed mine, it's only 0.0004 gb. Your data plan is safe.

#1375 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 1,893 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:59

Think he was rather clear with his post.

No, it's nonsense. Saying that you were amused by a post (from 2 years ago, mind you) has nothing to do with complaining.

#1376 OilFour

OilFour

• 798 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:03

Anno 2016 complaining about bandwidth allowance?  :p 

#1377 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 15,457 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:04

Back to the topic at hand please.

#1378 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 11,454 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:15

It's Hamilton's responsibility to know where his opponent is. He's the one that changed his line.

Of course he turned in, he had little choice, as if he didn't start turning in, he would have left the circuit. 

#1379 Brackets

Brackets

• 4,149 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:19

So, it was brainless, and what's more, a repeat will result in one or more racebans.

Isn't that awfully hard on the poor guy who prepared the brakes, Toto?

Advertisement

#1380 Takis1

Takis1

• 490 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:43

I blame MV...he hoped if both Mercedes crashed again he could have another first place....

#1381 myattitude

myattitude

• 632 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:18

Okay sorry about the wait, believe it or not I do work and I had things to do, and drawing accurately takes time But here goes.

Made this just for you. Look at how perpendicular to the track direction you drew your start-finish line  :kiss:  If you draw the real lines perpendicular to the track direction, Hamilton always crosses them first - meaning he was always ahead. Please stop and just deal with it.

At93NOL.jpg

Yeah Marklar posted a similar drawing from another angle. You must understand that those lines you and he drew denote the static track dimensions, not the live track directions. The live track directions are something that changes fluidly as the live track dimensions are changed, as your car moves, and even more so when there are two of you. Once they entered the corner zone Nico physically changed the live track dimensions (LTDM), and therefore the live track directions (LTDR). This now means that your STD lines are too shallow.

e04c8e0526ea4e6a9d0c214f9bd6cbca.png

3d433918b355b0808986b4a21ce374c7.png

But let's first rewind to while they're still on the straight. By being on the inside, already Nico is changed the LTDM by effectively 1) Making himself the mobile "armco" barrier to Lewis, and 2) Making the right side of his dictated line the white lines and track limits. The new track looks like this:

678e9419c07bd1a4ab7ac8c4db7ce949.gif

However, once they entered the corner zone, the LTDR choices opened up to the car physically occupying the inside, as well as giving that car physical right to dictate what HAM's LTDM can be:

029cb7cd53327e5e69e37ecb4d5e85be.jpg

9822adbd4e348b651af4269df209c15e.png

When we add the new lines to account for the LTDR and LTDMs, then the track effectively looks like this:

f00bfe3fa6f4fc0be332466450df95fa.gif

This is where my photoshop skills got a little tired, so the new yellow lines don't quite match, but we're there or there abouts.

And let's confirm that Nico is now ahead according to the live track direction. Photoshop doesn't draw lines in mm so I had to pull out the tape measure and do it manually, but this shows that the distance to the mean LTDR is shorter for Nico:

2731a1367fb1e0ca59d465e54de279d1.png

If there is any doubt about the LTDR arrow, this arrow is is the exact mean angle from the track direction of the straight:

8' - (0') - ('-10) = -1'

= Exactly 1' less that 90' as per the measurement

=89' Mean LTDR Angle

b558906077ce392d62e7bcd12c242d30.jpg

Or with Nico's dictated LTDMs, you get an exact match:

ff9875b3733d105353db36f5117ae50e.gif

It's pretty irrefutable that Nico was in the lead upon entry to the corner. It's irrelavent really because Nico being on the inside gets to determine the Live Track Direction, and according to the track direction, the rights to physically dicatte belongs to Nico UNTIL such time as he left less than a car's width, but we know that he did and Lewis hit Nico when he had room to spare.

b03428db1a7ed25de4e092b86831d8cc.png

#1382 OO7

OO7

• 18,447 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:19

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

#1383 Mat13

Mat13

• 1,734 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:21

Who was ahead when the race finished? Hamilton? Good enough for me, let's move on.

#1384 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,796 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:24

I reckon that MErcedes supreme pace is down to some new super secret technology that involves super strength magnets. Thats why whenever they are close they are pulled together into a crash. The effect is at its strongest under acceleration (hence the way the two cars flew towards each other in Spain), but in a braking zone the effect is less. I reckon the magnets are in the steering wheel - thats why when Nico tried to turn he couldn't because the wheel wouldn't budge due to the magnetic force being exerted on it by Lewis' car. They are sworn to secrecy and the team have to keep making up excuses and pretending to get angry at the drivers to cover the truth.

Its all there in the replays.

You'll never be able to disprove this theory!

#1385 Takis1

Takis1

• 490 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:36

I reckon that MErcedes supreme pace is down to some new super secret technology that involves super strength magnets. Thats why whenever they are close they are pulled together into a crash. The effect is at its strongest under acceleration (hence the way the two cars flew towards each other in Spain), but in a braking zone the effect is less. I reckon the magnets are in the steering wheel - thats why when Nico tried to turn he couldn't because the wheel wouldn't budge due to the magnetic force being exerted on it by Lewis' car. They are sworn to secrecy and the team have to keep making up excuses and pretending to get angry at the drivers to cover the truth.

Finally, a logical explanation.

#1386 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 2,108 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:48

I thought we had reached peak crazy during the whole Alonso pre testing accident last year, but we have reached a new level now.

#1387 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 3,754 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:49

You are totally wrong.

It was the last lap of the race so the marshals on that corner were already taking out their Austrian equivalent of the British Marshals Pork Pie (probably a Schnitzel Sandwich) - and it is an acknowledged rule of marshalling that the moment some unwraps a pork pie all hell will break out . 

#1388 Fox1

Fox1

• 682 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:56

Okay sorry about the wait, believe it or not I do work and I had things to do, and drawing accurately takes time But here goes.

Yeah Marklar posted a similar drawing from another angle. You must understand that those lines you and he drew denote the static track dimensions, not the live track directions. The live track directions are something that changes fluidly as the live track dimensions are changed, as your car moves, and even more so when there are two of you. Once they entered the corner zone Nico physically changed the live track dimensions (LTDM), and therefore the live track directions (LTDR). This now means that your STD lines are too shallow.

But let's first rewind to while they're still on the straight. By being on the inside, already Nico is changed the LTDM by effectively 1) Making himself the mobile "armco" barrier to Lewis, and 2) Making the right side of his dictated line the white lines and track limits. The new track looks like this:

However, once they entered the corner zone, the LTDR choices opened up to the car physically occupying the inside, as well as giving that car physical right to dictate what HAM's LTDM can be:

When we add the new lines to account for the LTDR and LTDMs, then the track effectively looks like this:

This is where my photoshop skills got a little tired, so the new yellow lines don't quite match, but we're there or there abouts.

And let's confirm that Nico is now ahead according to the live track direction. Photoshop doesn't draw lines in mm so I had to pull out the tape measure and do it manually, but this shows that the distance to the mean LTDR is shorter for Nico:

If there is any doubt about the LTDR arrow, this arrow is is the exact mean angle from the track direction of the straight:

8' - (0') - ('-10) = -1'

=89' Mean LTDR Angle

It's pretty irrefutable that Nico was in the lead upon entry to the corner. It's irrelavent really because Nico being on the inside gets to determine the Live Track Direction, and according to the track direction, the rights to physically dicatte belongs to Nico UNTIL such time as he left less than a car's width, but we know that he did and Lewis hit Nico when he had room to spare.

Nico is that you? STOP!! You're making a fool of yourself.

#1389 myattitude

myattitude

• 632 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:57

irrelevant. lewis waited to turn far, far longer than anyone had done in that corner just to give nico room. asking for even more is ridiculous

You bet your butt it's relevant, Lewis has to stay within the track confines as dictated by Nico, for as long as Nico is giving him room, which he was. You say it's ridiculous to turn any later but not when he has way more than a car's width, which for the umpteenth time, he had!

again, irrelevant. lewis gave enough room for an 18 wheeler to go through there, he did so as a courtesy to nico and to not break any rules.

Good for Lewis for leaving room, but so did Nico.

which, again is kind of irrelevant. who was magically "leading" who over some imaginary, invisible line is non sequitur, it has no bearing whatsoever over the fact that lewis could not see nico, because that detail is key, here. so since everybody is drawing lines on pictures, i too have drawn some lines and here, myattitude, you can, see, that lewis can not, see, where nico is. red lines are direct eye sight and blue lines are rear view mirror. i think, yes, i might have heard something about lewis saying something cryptic about... uhm... was it, blind spot?

notsee.jpg

these lines are, if someone decides to intentionally misunderstand it, drawn with tongue in cheek

Your picture proves that Lewis knew where Nico was: A blind spot is a specific place alongside the car. As long as Nico was in his blind spot, Lewis knew exactly where he was.

Don't forget that these engines are very loud, I can hear cars overtaking me on the motorway from the same spot. Since Lewis knew he was in a wheel-wheel race and knew that he had already been pushed wide, then Lewis knows where Nico is, he just turned into him prematurely in anticipation.

Are you telling me he can't hear that?

74a408611e633bf7ceb7dab800b5b3c3.jpg

Also, since he wasn't using all the track that was given to him, he could have done so (used the room he had) and seen where he was. Actually Lewis made no effort to see where Nico was (I think because he already knew where he was), but if he really couldn't hear him, forgot that he was running him wide, etc, he could have moved over until he could see him, then judge when to move:

4773b2194c0359bc1aace4340c244384.jpg

if lewis would have turned 1 tenth later, nico would have turned 1 tenth later and the same thing would have happened. if lewis then turned 2 tenths later, nico would have... do you see where this is going?

IF it went to the point where Nico no longer left room, then Lewis would be innocent, but Lewis did have room and didn't use it.

for lewis to avoid a collision (one that he didn't know would happen or could possibly foresee) he would have had to go off the track, just in case, and i have yet to see one single driver do that in my 20+ years of watching motorsport. not once

Wrong, absolutely wrong.

75917d51378b01f01b454d2c80224083.png

lewis made a calculated decision to turn when he thought it was safe to do so, in that he left almost the entire track on his right for nico to negotiate the corner and since lewis was ahead and could not see nico and therefore could not calculate, much less react to nicos deep incursion into the turn, lewis is completely without blame. theres just no other way to describe it

He calculated wrong, that much was proven by the debris.

#1390 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,196 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:58

You Sir, has just earned my first ever 'Like This'.

I have never, ever pushed that little bugger before. But that post of yours... whoa, just whoa. A thing of beauty.

#1391 greenman

greenman

• 1,135 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:58

myattitude right now:

blackboard.jpg

#1392 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 13:06

Nico was ahead if you warp space and time?  :drunk:

wtf_is_this_shit2_RE_73_Million_Sharks_K

#1393 screamingV16

screamingV16

• 978 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 13:10

8' - (0') - ('-10) = -1'

=89' Mean LTDR Angle

:rotfl: Didn't think this thread could get any funnier, but this is the stuff of legends, it even trumps the magic owl theory.... oh wait, you're serious! :eek:

#1394 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,318 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 13:10

I can now see that if Hamilton had brought his protractor along this would never have happened.

#1395 Okyo

Okyo

• 1,332 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 13:14

If you're lazy to read it, then don't mind responding. 

It's the usual arguing routine. If you don't have a decent counterargument, ignore it, make a joke or whatever. 

#1396 OilFour

OilFour

• 798 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 13:22

OMG, you just solved the last missing pieces in Einstein's relativity theory!

#1397 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 2,622 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 13:27

What am i watching here? A split second collision can be analysed with diagrams, angles, compasses? :rotfl:

#1398 OilFour

OilFour

• 798 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 13:31

Wait till you hear ExFlagman, his bandwith allowance is burned up to 2023 ...

#1399 hodgy21

hodgy21

• 692 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 13:32

I came here after the race had finished on Sunday fully expecting to find a "should Hamilton be penalised III" thread. Instead this absolute gem of a thread has taken me on a whirlwind tour of some people's minds, and their theories and ruminations have culminated in this absolute peach of a post using a protractor overlaid on an image of stretched racing cars, random lines and something called a "nicarmco".

Myattitude I salute you for your dedication to your cause, keep it up please.

Advertisement

#1400 Okyo

Okyo

• 1,332 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 13:32

To those that can't read more than a paragraph:

Lewis turned in when he still had room to make the corner.

Rosberg had the right to dictate the space and line for Lewis up until to the limit where less than a cars width was left for Lewis. 

Rosberg was mildly ahead, or at least side by side to Lewis in the corner. Shown by the readjusted track and the lines by myattitude.

Personally, there was no need for all those pics and lines, saw it in the video, hence why i noted earlier that the lad is making a fair case for Rosberg.

Kinda feel sorry for him, making pics for ignorant people, that wont look at em, let alone think about it with an open mind.

Edited by Okyo, 06 July 2016 - 13:38.