Photo

Motor Sport magazine - is it as good as it could be?

• Please log in to reply
925 replies to this topic

#601 Nathan

Nathan

• 4,951 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 17:12

5 pounds is expensive?  Wow...

While mags like M.S. and Octane are ad heavy, I don't know where else I could learn about things I'm not interested in spending $40 for a book about.

Advertisement

#602 BRG

BRG

• 16,776 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 19:50

No comments about the latest edition?  I would comment but I haven't seen it yet. It was due out on March 2 but unitl today (5th) there is no sign of it on the news-stands. 

This could be due to:-

a) the Beast from the East dropping a couple of inches of snow on Britain leading to paralysis, death and destruction on an apocalyptic level culminating in a failure to get Motorsport to the shops.  Although many other countries seem to manage to survive such conditions without a hiccup.

b) the Beast from the East causing panic buying so that all the copies were snapped up in the first five minutes of 2 March.

c) a change of distribution contractor to DHL whose performance failing to get chicken to KFC is already the stuff of legends

d) the title has folded (probably not)

#603 opplock

opplock

• 607 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 20:33

I can assure you that MS hasn't folded. My copy arrived on Saturday. I'm still reading the previous issue so can't comment on content yet. As for the previous issue Simon Arron's Lunch with Felipe Massa article is excellent. Ditto the Dan Gurney tribute.   

#604 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,639 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:08

Arrived some some days ago but, likewise, I'm still going on the previous one... 

Looking forward to reading Lunch with Gianpaulo Dallara, the return of Joest and a look back at British Special Saloons. (And a look forward to the upcoming Grand Prix season - ok, minority interest I know but I'll certainly read it!)

#605 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,005 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:43

Arrived some some days ago but, likewise, I'm still going on the previous one... 

Me too, it takes me at least a month on and off, but I read almost every word in each issue including the adverts, I even skim through Frankel.

One recent exception was two issues ago, I read "20 page special on Colin McRae", which meant 20 pages I could skip. I did have a quick look at the Jimmy McRae Lunch With, but that wasn't one of the better ones.

Just me of course, each to their own, generally the magazine does a good job of catering for different interests, though I'd have thought that rally enthusiasts buying Motor Sport were fairly few in number. No doubt a number of TNFs will immediately post to disagree with me though.

Edited, in a vain and unsuccessful attempt to limit embarrassment, but I freely admit, I know sod all about UK rallying.

Edited by kayemod, 06 March 2018 - 14:31.

#606 Bumblyari

Bumblyari

• 155 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:27

I can certainly understand why the 'Lunch with Colin McRae' article wouldn't have been one of the better ones.

#607 john aston

john aston

• 1,702 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:29

A missed opportunity in the current edition in the Lunch With Giampaulo  Dallara feature. Colin Goodwin is certainly a good enough writer to do the job , if  less so  than the much missed Simon Taylor, who made this  feature a highlight . But really, this was more of a quick snack , ironically so given the menu. Simon's articles would run to 4- 5000 words , enough to give real insight into the subject , but if this piece was  much more than 3000 I'd be surprised . Motor Sport buyers ,unlike many readers of other car mags,  do not have the attention span of  ants and love to read in depth, detailed copy.

Can I suggest that such forgettable fluff as wasting a page on MS writers telling us what brand of race helmet they wear on their adventures on track be binned and used instead for something we actually enjoy - and which might take longer than 18 seconds to read ?      

#608 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,639 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:37

... I read "20 page special on Graham McRae", which meant 20 pages I could skip.

That one might have been quite interesting though!

#609 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,005 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 13:09

That one might have been quite interesting though!

Ah yes, I suppose that shows how in touch I am with the UK rally scene. I've gone back to correct everything in my earlier post, which may cause some confusion to anyone coming along now the dust has settled.

#610 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,812 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 14:26

I didn’t know Graham McRae ever went rallying.

#611 opplock

opplock

• 607 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 15:35

Having got us excited about the secret rally career of Graham McRae, Kayemod has edited his post. Hillclimbs on metal surfaces are the closest Cassius would have got to rallying. 

#612 BRG

BRG

• 16,776 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 18:29

Still not on my local news stands! ):

#613 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 19:38

Why on earth would you not to read an interview with Colin McrAE, obviously done many years go, but still.

I do wonder why some folk here are actually interested in motorsport.

or are they only bothered about circuit racing?  When there is so much else to watch

#614 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,733 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 22:00

Well, I'm quite particular about "my" motor sports. I really can't be bothered to watch tractor pulling, figure eight racing or demolition derbies. 'Tis just not my thing. Just because it's MOTOR sports doesn't mean it interests me.

#615 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,312 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:28

A "Lunch with Graham McRae" with the right amount of space (5000 words +) would be very interesting......

#616 john aston

john aston

• 1,702 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:37

My tastes become ever more catholic - last year I saw circuit racing , historic vintage and modern , hillclimbs, a sporting trial , drag racing , rallycross , stage rallying , autograss,Time Attack and banger racing. at 20 different venues  I won't lose sleep if I don't see the last two again but enjoyed the rest hugely. 

'What does he of England know who only England knows? '     

#617 charles r

charles r

• 8,354 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:10

A missed opportunity in the current edition in the Lunch With Giampaulo  Dallara feature. Colin Goodwin is certainly a good enough writer to do the job , if  less so  than the much missed Simon Taylor, who made this  feature a highlight . But really, this was more of a quick snack , ironically so given the menu. Simon's articles would run to 4- 5000 words , enough to give real insight into the subject , but if this piece was  much more than 3000 I'd be surprised . Motor Sport buyers ,unlike many readers of other car mags,  do not have the attention span of  ants and love to read in depth, detailed copy.

Can I suggest that such forgettable fluff as wasting a page on MS writers telling us what brand of race helmet they wear on their adventures on track be binned and used instead for something we actually enjoy - and which might take longer than 18 seconds to read ?      

Totally agree, with the subject matter at hand, this should have been a full size piece and sadly I think this shows where their future priorities lie - in bite size, anodyne  articles. With the notable exceptions of DCN and Mark Hughes, I am afraid that the magazine doesn't warrant a subscription renewal, but I guess I am no longer the demographic that the publishers are aiming at.

Edited by charles r, 09 March 2018 - 08:00.

#618 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,005 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:48

A "Lunch with Graham McRae" with the right amount of space (5000 words +) would be very interesting......

True, is he still around?

I got the wrong McRae because I knew Graham slightly, he's lodged in my memory. His place in Poole, which he sold to Penske for their early F1 efforts, was next door to a friend's fibreglass business, where I was a frequent visitor, I saw him a lot.

On differing tastes, I agree with what John Aston said, give each one a go, and stick with the ones you like, it's not compulsory to follow or show interest in every form of motor sport. It's the same with music, I enjoy many varieties. My interest hasn't survived, but  many years ago I used to go to and enjoy bagpipe recitals with my pipe playing dad, and at the same time I was an enthusiastic visitor to jazz and rock events. The only form I now draw the line at is opera. If I hear any by accident, I lunge for the mute button or hastily leave the room, but as with motor sport, each to their own.

My enthusiasm for rock, mostly older stuff as befits my age, has survived though, Bob, Len, Bruce and Jackson, music legends all of them.

Edited by kayemod, 08 March 2018 - 09:51.

#619 MCS

MCS

• 4,131 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 15:15

I didn’t know Graham McRae ever went rallying.

How about this! http://3.bp.blogspot...k Farm 1973.jpg

Advertisement

#620 charles r

charles r

• 8,354 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 19:07

Brilliant!

#621 BRG

BRG

• 16,776 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 20:07

Finally!  The new DHL chicken delivery system has allowed a copy to dribble through to the shelves.  And I see it is back up to £5.50 again.  Now to devour the contents...

I am a bit saddened by some of the recent comments above about stuff people are not interested in such as McRae (be it Colin, Jimmy or Graham).  There have been many articles over the years that appeared to be on subjects which I was not previously bothered about but I read them anyway and often learnt something new and got a better perspective on things previously discounted.  Open your minds, folks!

Edited by BRG, 07 March 2018 - 20:07.

#622 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 21:12

Exactly

I suppose I should buy a tweed jacket, talk with a plum in my mouth and walk around quoting chassis numbers of cars no-one but 5 people in the world care about at the fabulously cheap Goodwood members meeting!

No thanks, rather be mud plugging somewhere.

#623 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,548 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 21:53

Hmmm - what was the line of advice in the post preceding the last?   :cool:

DCN

#624 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 16:17

Exactly

I suppose I should buy a tweed jacket, talk with a plum in my mouth and walk around quoting chassis numbers of cars no-one but 5 people in the world care about at the fabulously cheap Goodwood members meeting!

No thanks, rather be mud plugging somewhere.

Chunder27,
I usually agree with you sentiments but in this case as my Mum would have said, "If you can't think of anything nice to say, then say nothing....."

I think you would find it a bit cold in a tweed jacket, Goodwood MM does not insist on such clothing, rather they recommend you to wrap up well with warmth beng the priority

I think you should remove the stone out of the plum when you find out 6 people are interested in chassis nos. you may choke, lol

Mud Plugging, have a great time
Bill P

#625 BRG

BRG

• 16,776 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 16:44

Is that a plum in his mouth or a chip on his shoulder?

#626 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,005 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 17:14

Is that a plum in his mouth or a chip on his shoulder?

We're sometimes criticised for being a bit snobby on TNF, but our snobbery if it indeed exists, is an awful lot better than the inverse kind which one or two posters seem to revel in.

#627 retriever

retriever

• 544 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 14:03

I received my final copy of Motor Sport last week after deciding to not renew my subscription of many years. The current edition reinforces my decision which has emblazoned on its front cover "World Exclusive Porsche Fever 73 Targa Floria 911 Reborn"  Inside an article running to 13 pages by Mr Frankel expounds on this journalistic coup! 

There are certain writers & contributors and certain sections I shall miss reading but it is just not the magazine that I have enjoyed over the years. Maybe it is me, I am growing old and undoubtedly my perception of what it should be conflicts with the direction it is now being taken by its current owners. 

A final comment, I loved reading Doug Nye's monthly contributions but I think he is being somewhat disingenuous to both Martin Brundleandr Nick Heidfeld in describing them as journeymen no-hopers, there are those who deserve such a title but the Formula One careers of those two (especially Brundle) do not deserve to be dismissed in such a way as that.

#628 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,005 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 14:11

A final comment, I loved reading Doug Nye's monthly contributions but I think he is being somewhat disingenuous to both Martin Brundleandr Nick Heidfeld in describing them as journeymen no-hopers, there are those who deserve such a title but the Formula One careers of those two (especially Brundle) do not deserve to be dismissed in such a way as that.

If Doug had said that about Frankel on the other hand...

#629 Kenzclass

Kenzclass

• 169 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 14:16

I'd been a subscriber for quite a few years, but my recent "renewal" turned out to not be a "renewal" - got lost in the ether somewhere.

So I took this as a sign from above that it's time to let the sub go.

Was thinking I'd buy casually when an issue had enough articles I was interested in (successfully weaned myself off the now-largely "infomercial" Octane that way), but saw MS in the newsagent yesterday at AUD17.95!

Been nice knowing it.

#630 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,740 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 14:39

I, on the other hand, have just renewed for two more years.

I enjoy the mag.

Tom

#631 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,005 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 15:53

I, on the other hand, have just renewed for two more years.

I enjoy the mag.

Tom

Me too, notwithstanding you know who's over pretentious use of our dear language, Stephen Potter in his classic work Oneupmanship referred to it as "plonking", that and most of the advertorial stuff near the end.

#632 john aston

john aston

• 1,702 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 17:14

I am no chum of Mr F(in our one , and mercifully very brief  conversation he mistook me for something he had found on the sole of his shoe) but the article is not remotely pretentious  . I thought it was pretty  well written and the content was fascinating , especially  Gijs van Lennep's recollections  . I think the world exclusive headline is awfully OTT but I doubt if Mr F had anything to do with it. 

As I may have mentioned two or three hundred times before though  , he does need to relearn use of the present participle - I come out in spots when I read 'sat ' for sitting . And don;t get me started on 'likely ' ....

#633 BRG

BRG

• 16,776 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 19:10

I looked through the Reader Survey enclosed with the latest edition.  It is very long and detailed.  They want to know what watch maker I prefer, the value of my watch collection (about £$0 if I include the old Casio digital in the drawer), the value of my boat/yatch collection (that would be zero), the value of my investment portfolio (to my surprise, I do actually have one!) and , strangely, what my hobbies/interests are.  The latter, curiously, does not include motor sport or anything car related unless you add it as an 'Other: please specify'.  As it is not an anonymous survey, and asks such frankly intrusive questions, it went in the bin.

I fear it rather bears out fears about the magazine's priorities.  Amusingly, you can do the survey on-line, except that the web address quoted seems to include the typo '/motrorsport'......

#634 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,299 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 21:51

I was entertained by the questionnaire too. My watch collection is in the "up to £5000" category because it's worth about 50p, but they don't list my Lorus make. But that's all about market research, which is about surviving in the internet age.

As for the mag itself, there could always be improvements, but I found plenty in this month's edition to interest or even engross me. Mark Hughes, Doug Nye, and Matt Oxley are always worth reading, Gordon Cruickshank and Dickie Meaden usually are, and I find nothing wrong with Andrew Frankel, although I don't buy it for the road car stuff.

I haven't mentioned the Lunch With. This month's isn't good: it's utterly brilliant. Pretty much worth the cover price by itself. Month after month I expect the lunch guest to be dull, but it never happens.

#635 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,005 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 22:44

I looked through the Reader Survey enclosed with the latest edition.  It is very long and detailed.  They want to know what watch maker I prefer, the value of my watch collection (about £$0 if I include the old Casio digital in the drawer), the value of my boat/yatch collection (that would be zero), the value of my investment portfolio (to my surprise, I do actually have one!) and , strangely, what my hobbies/interests are.  The latter, curiously, does not include motor sport or anything car related unless you add it as an 'Other: please specify'.  As it is not an anonymous survey, and asks such frankly intrusive questions, it went in the bin.

I fear it rather bears out fears about the magazine's priorities.  Amusingly, you can do the survey on-line, except that the web address quoted seems to include the typo '/motrorsport'......

I'll probably fill out that survey form, but there are quite a few boxes I'll be leaving blank. I'll answer anything relevant to the magazine, but I'm not providing much lifestyle information. I'll tell them what my watch collection is worth though, oh, several million I should think, maybe much more...

On the F-Man, I detest his pompous writing style, and I hate the impression he gives in his ridiculous road tests of the way he drives on UK public roads, that's utterly indefensible. I'll admit I used to be a bit of a hooligan myself at times many years ago, probably like most of us, but now having survived, I've long ago grown out of that tendency. I may be a bit holier than Frankel these days, but all the same, there's absolutely no excuse at all for invoking things like "lift-off oversteer" and the upper reaches of the rev range in higher gears is there? I repeat, it's on public roads with innocent drivers coming the other way. I haven't opened my copy of this month's issue yet, so I didn't know who'd been responsible for the Targa Porsche article, but I'll certainly be reading it when I finish other things I currently have on the go. One of the things about MS I like is the fact that much of it is the "historic" stuff we all love, so there's no need to rush the reading process.

#636 PeterScandlyn

PeterScandlyn

• 347 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:04

Absolutely enjoy this magazine, have done for years.

Now what would be useful is to move with the times and discuss  a certain on-line reporting centre with a similar sounding name that is absolutely abysmal. But I know that's a little OT....

#637 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,747 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:59

I was entertained by the questionnaire too. My watch collection is in the "up to £5000" category because it's worth about 50p, but they don't list my Lorus make. But that's all about market research, which is about surviving in the internet age.

Seems like another bit of market research which doesn't recognise the unique quality of zero! When analysing the results they will record " x% have collections worth £2500" because all of those with a zero value collection are included in the 0-£5000 division.

#638 john aston

john aston

• 1,702 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:03

Oh dear - I am guilty of inducing lift off oversteer on most trips in my MX 5 , as I did in the Seven before it . I have also been known to take a liberal view of some speed limits too...And I 'm on a pension  and thus a lot older than Public Enemy Number One Frankel

#639 opplock

opplock

• 607 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:29

The survey is incredibly intrusive. I'd be interested to learn how many people are foolish enough to respond. Example

"Which of the following institutions do you invest with?" ..... Other (please specify). 

Answer - NOYFB, Survey consigned to recycling bin. Any other answer likely to result in receiving offers of spectacularly profitable investments (not regulated in UK). Especially for anyone who ticks box 2. 

Advertisement

#640 LordAston

LordAston

• 162 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 13:57

flipflopmc.jpg

These are in the  products of the month on MS website - £24.99 for jandals!!! (and they are F-ugly colour combo).  

#641 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,639 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 14:52

Are they Nomex-lined?

(Also, they'll only fit very small children - if they really are size 33…)

Edited by 2F-001, 02 April 2018 - 15:40.

#642 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,005 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 15:07

Oh dear - I am guilty of inducing lift off oversteer on most trips in my MX 5 , as I did in the Seven before it . I have also been known to take a liberal view of some speed limits too...And I 'm on a pension  and thus a lot older than Public Enemy Number One Frankel

So, you're clearly a hooligan, but maybe you can be excused John, partly because from what I've seen, you write better English than self-aggrandising Frankel, but also because of something I did myself yesterday. Exiting a busy T-junction on a wet road, the rear end of my Alfa stepped out a little, calling for "a dab of oppo", I'll try never to do it again, promise. Going back to Mr F though, why has he suddenly become unenthusiastic about Alfas? The Giulia is by far the best thing they've produced in many years, mine brings a smile to my face every time I sit in it, but when he wrote about it, Frankel was lukewarm to say the least, the same with his last issue test of the closely related Stelvio, the only bit of his write up I agreed with were his opening lines about how desperately overrated its mountain pass namesake is as a driving road, other then scenically, it's awful. But the Giulia is a constant delight. On the can't take it with you principle, I chopped in a year old AMG Mercedes when I bought mine. The MB was faster, and brilliantly made and engineered, but ultimately uninvolving, indeed ever so slightly dull. Sadly, I'm also a recent pensioner like you, but in my Giulia I feel like a 30 year old again. I only wish my back and hips felt the same way.

Edited by kayemod, 02 April 2018 - 18:28.

#643 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,733 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 16:26

I subscribed to Autosport for almost a decade, during which time Andrew Frankel had a regular column in the magazine, which I had to read only twice to know that he's a pretentious ****, so I simply ignored him for rest of the duration. How hard is that?

On the other hand, if he'd been starting to write feature-length articles, I'd probably have ditched my subscription on the spot.

Some people have a strong influence on my behaviour. I guess that's why they're called influencers.

#644 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,733 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 16:27

Oh, how sweet! The software doesn't want to spell T-W-A-T!

#645 opplock

opplock

• 607 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 18:21

Oh, how sweet! The software doesn't want to spell T-W-A-T!

This could lead to an interesting thread - what languages escape the online censors? 

#646 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,693 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 20:37

I think he is being somewhat disingenuous to both Martin Brundle and Nick Heidfeld

Disingenuous? I thought he was being pretty honest with his opinions. 

#647 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,845 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 22:44

Why does Frankel get so much space in the rag? Have I missed something, or is he "connected"? He's the major reason why I'll not be renewing.... again. That and the watches- I'm really pissed off that they have not reviewed my £26 Timex, which lights up if I press a button.  :rolleyes: 

#648 nexfast

nexfast

• 570 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 16:54

I received the much maligned survey today via email (magazine usually only reaches me around the 8th of each month). Irrespective of the intrusiveness about watches and investment portfolios - that in any case you are free to just skip it - I thought it was a good opportunity to make your feelings known about the content of the magazine and as such a welcome consultation of the readership. Hopefully they will let us know the results as I'm curious to know whether my opinions are following the majority of the replies (somehow I suspect that might not be the case...).

#649 peterkramer75

peterkramer75

• 68 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 17:33

Silly survey, asking readers if they read every single bit or not of the magazine is far too long winded.

I gave up after a few pages to be honest.

My only reason to stay on was to simply say that much is far too much for a magazine full of no doubt very expensive adverts selling cars for hundreds of thousands of pounds.

More expensive than most other car mags.  Then again, I don't buy any anyway lol!

#650 ddmichael

ddmichael

• 51 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 14:37

Sadly I think that this month may well be my last as a Motor Sport subscriber, as I too am fed up with pages of dull road car tests I have no interest in (I'd subscibe to Autocar if I did), watch ads, technical pieces on historic race cars, which are no longer historic and the increasing number of pages devoted to current F1, which is well covered elsewhere. Over the past 15/20 years the magazine had carved a really good niche in the market, with a bit of modern racing, tales of sometimes obscure former drivers and tests of interesting race cars, but that's all gone.

Recently there have also been a lot of "Bertie Bartonfinkle asked me to race his Alfa at Goodwood..." type stories, which rather irritate me - not thanks to a dose of inverse snobbery, but largely because a) I'm not really interested in the personalities involved; b) in terms of resources the team being featured is usually the historic equivalent of Mercedes AMG F1; c) there are dozens of classic races and rallies taking place every weekend and it'd be nice to read about some of those that don't have a four-figure entry fee (and could doubtless do with a bit of publicity). 

It does however occur to me that such features are very much part of the lifestyle that the magazine now promotes - and which generates the inverse snobbery - it's undeniably become slightly elitist with the yachts, watches etc, but that wouldn't be an issue for me if the features I wanted to read still carried some weight, which unfortunately they don't. The Dallara interview, for example, was pitifully brief and yet a few pages later I was treated to a road test of the new Kia... 

Also, it's worth pointing out that the layout is appalling - you can't tell where one feature ends and another begins, the ads are dreadfully intrusive and overall it just looks too messy and cluttered. 

I'll content myself with reading Doug's articles on the Goodwood site, where at least there's still space for a bit of detail.