Photo

Motor Sport magazine - is it as good as it could be?

• Please log in to reply
887 replies to this topic

#651 BRG

BRG

• 16,703 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 16:09

Anyone know when the next (June) issue of MS is due to come out.  The last (May) says that the next issue will be out on March 30!  No sign of it in WH Smiths today though.

Advertisement

#652 kayemod

kayemod

• 8,979 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 17:15

Anyone know when the next (June) issue of MS is due to come out.  The last (May) says that the next issue will be out on March 30!  No sign of it in WH Smiths today though.

Patience! Motor Sport sent subscribers an email a few days ago, warning that the June issue was going to be a few days later than usual, extra content or something, seems they haven't gone bust.

Edit. End of this week apparently. Pasted below is the contents summary, Lunch With should be good.

In the meantime, here's what you'll find inside the June issue of Motor Sport:

A double world exclusive from one of motor racing’s most accomplished dynasties

Mark Hughes takes a look at Liberty's plans for Formula 1

We look back to when Jim Clark competed in the Indy 500 and release never-before-seen images from the fabled time

Staff writer Samarth Kanal explores the Trophée Andros

With 40,000 votes, we announce the final Motor Sport Hall of Fame shortlist

Simon Arron meets the master of the unconventional, Brian Henton, in the latest "Lunch With..."

Edited by kayemod, 30 April 2018 - 17:18.

#653 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,077 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 18:25

And there I was, hoping they were gradually moving towards the situation where the March edition appears on the 1st of March.  But no, it's just going to be 'a little later than usual' as the June edition will come out on the 1st of May!

I'll get my coat. 

Edited by D-Type, 30 April 2018 - 18:25.

#654 MCS

MCS

• 4,116 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 19:25

I have to wonder where we are going with this increasingly odd thread - or rather  where Motor Sport is going, or perhaps not.

That said, I will now look forward to Simon's piece with "SuperHen" - thanks for the heads up, Rob.

#655 BRG

BRG

• 16,703 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 18:42

Patience! Motor Sport sent subscribers an email a few days ago, warning that the June issue was going to be a few days later than usual, extra content or something, seems they haven't gone bust.

Oh, I am patient enough, it was just that I wasn't sure what a publication date of 'March 30' actually meant!  Good work by the editorial team, that. I didn't think they had gone thud.

I will get my 'Railway' magazine tomorrow and read that instead and see if MS turns up by Friday.  The Henton interiew should be fun, we will doubtless learn how he would have dominated F1 for several decades, if only the Universe hadn't been against him. 

#656 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,834 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 20:48

I'm led to believe they are looking for another Editor. Totally separately, I've cancelled my subscription, yet again. Can't be arsed with all that Farankelopionshite and eff-wun. 

I'm giving Octane another try; their recently-new Editor is a top bloke.

#657 john aston

john aston

• 1,680 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:33

Just watching the podcast with David Hobbs; every magazine needs its young guns of course, and ISTR Simon Taylor was 23 when he became Autosport editor, but the two young men doing the interview were young enough to be his grandkids and obviously lack the insight and gravitas a Taylor, Widdows , Roebuck or Arron could bring . I am sure they will learn on the job  but was no- one over 25 available ? My rates are very reasonable  :drunk:    

#658 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,006 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:34

I reckon you'd do a great job, John. Like many other 'regulars' on here! 

#659 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 124 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:32

I'm led to believe they are looking for another Editor. Totally separately, I've cancelled my subscription, yet again. Can't be arsed with all that Farankelopionshite and eff-wun. 

I'm giving Octane another try; their recently-new Editor is a top bloke.

Your intelligence is spot on. I received a note to say that my print copy has been delayed and therefore I turned to the digital edition.

Matter of Moment is now the work of new editor Joe Dunn, as Nick Trott "has moved on to fresh pastures". Covers a multitude of sins and may postpone my own decision to cancel my subscription, as I have had a broadly similar view of the publication in recent times.

Octane regularly beats it for content and interest................

Advertisement

#660 BRG

BRG

• 16,703 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 19:37

Octane regularly beats it for content and interest................

Not really comparable magazines though.   If you find Octane more to your taste, then you perhaps aren't interested in motor sport, just motor cars. 

#661 john aston

john aston

• 1,680 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:46

Actually Octane does feature some fairly meaty motor sport stuff. as well as 'just' motor cars(in which I am also interested) . If one can get past the sub  Alan Partridge prose of editor (is he ?) Mr Coucher it's not a bad read  at all . But my concern is that MS , of late,  has been fishing in the same pool as Octane , but with less success . As said above , I want less about The Market (who cares ? I can hardly run to some model Ferraris, let alone real ones ) , less about historic racing and more long features/interviews  about motor sport history - and not just racing either .  

#662 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 124 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:34

Not really comparable magazines though.   If you find Octane more to your taste, then you perhaps aren't interested in motor sport, just motor cars. 

Given that I hold season passes for both WEC and Blancpain, I might be considered to have an interest in the sport. I ply my trade in these fields and have done for nearly four decades.

I anticipate the arrival Octane far more than Motor Sport, it is better written and illustrated imho. MS content? - F1 is well covered as are some other aspects of the sport. I enjoy reading Doug Nye who usually has something of interest to relate but the watches I ignore, if I want road tests I read Autocar.............I agree with Mr Aston about The Market and historics.

Long interviews and features have almost become a thing of the past.

Having said that there is a new Porsche magazine recently started in the US, 000 Magazine. It aims to have 6% advertising rather than 60%............the features are sometimes as much as 20 pages.................

It takes all sorts.....

Edited by SamoanAttorney, 11 May 2018 - 15:51.

#663 BRG

BRG

• 16,703 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 18:11

Given that I hold season passes for both WEC and Blancpain, I might be considered to have an interest in the sport. I ply my trade in these fields and have done for nearly four decades.

Then I am surprised that you bother with a poseur's magazine like Octane which is aimed at the Chris Evans market not at motor sport people.  But whatever floats your boat.  If Motor Sport doesn't do it for you, then don't bother with it.  I don't buy Hello magazine for just that reason.

#664 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,618 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 17:04

Anyone owning up to ordering the socks?

#665 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 9,418 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 17:47

I was humming and hawing whether to renew my subscription.
That email made my mind up for me...

#666 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,480 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 20:51

Some good stuff this month eg Excerpt from Mat Oxley's forthcoming book on Motorcycle board racing of the 20's which is the sort of stuff I want to read about whether it be 2,3 or 4 wheels ( or 6 or 8 !)

Also a very enjoyable interview with Stavros Parish by TNF'er Simon Arron :up: 

Usual watch stuff and ( modern ) historical racing and track tests   :down: 

#667 LordAston

LordAston

• 162 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:50

Anyone owning up to ordering the socks?

Whose Motor Watch Sport or Automobilsport's

http://www.sportfahr...2nun35remier9n7

i'd personally go if I did at all for the BMW E30 ones.

#668 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,618 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:35

Good grief - they're multiplying...!

#669 BRG

BRG

• 16,703 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 19:08

You can never have too many socks.

#670 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 9,418 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:37

If you have 7 socks - you have one too many!   :clap:

#671 Salsin

Salsin

• 14 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:02

When my current subscription runs out, I shall not be renewing but for a very different reason.

The world has gone electronic and that includes magazines. Earlier this year I signed up with "Readly" and for £8 per month, I can read literally hundreds (thousands if I wanted to) of magazines on my desktop/laptop/iphone. My own interests are cars, motor sport, photography and genealogy but Readly includes just about every genre of magazine you could wish to read; not just UK but other countries and languages as well.

One other aspect that has concerned me for some time is that, having paid good money for the magazine, I was reluctant to throw it out and I therefore have a large stack of magazines which I "might just look at again" - but I never do and, if I want to do some research I turn to Google not these old copies. When I eventually pop my clogs, it will just be more "clutter" for the kids to chuck in the skip.

I admit that reading on a small screen is not as good as the tactile feel of holding a larger magazine, but in terms of value for money, I'll go with the £8 any day. I could never have afforded to spend say £50 per month on printed mags but now I can read them anyway. In this way, I"m not really bothered that I have skipped over the page after page about watches or the other pages which don't really interest me. 

If you can train your brain to read on a smaller screen (It took me a short while) you won't regret it. No going to WHS to buy, no delays in the post to your doorstep, no anxiety about all the trees being cut down to produce something which you read then throw away.

Mike Dodman

#672 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 466 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:56

Mike,

It's a fair point - I'll look into this. Another reason I'd go this way is that in recent years, two very good local newsagents have folded, and both used to stock the more esoteric titles. Many times I'd go in to buy one mag; mooch for a while and come out with three.

Sadly in a High Street where WHS is your only option, I can't do that anymore. So to the Readly it will be: and I might even have a look at Motorsport magazine again (so long as it's not still full of F1 and stories which need to relate to F1 for 'context'). 

EDIT: sadly not for me: I searched for five of my usual titles and Readly only found one....

Edited by sabrejet, 27 September 2018 - 11:55.

#673 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,100 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 13:30

Then I am surprised that you bother with a poseur's magazine like Octane which is aimed at the Chris Evans market not at motor sport people.  But whatever floats your boat.  If Motor Sport doesn't do it for you, then don't bother with it.  I don't buy Hello magazine for just that reason.

Might it be possible that someone could be interested in the content of both magazines.....without being a "poseur"? :wave:

#674 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,732 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 17:43

Put me in the category of those who despise on line mags. I just abhor having to squint at a screen, scroll up, scroll down, scroll sideways, back and forth, here and there, until I go nuts. I just will not do it. I want a hard copy in my hands that I can pick up. leaf through, read at my convenience, have the whole page in front of me, and then stack on the shelf for future reference. 

Yes, digital mags may be the coming thing, but not for me.

Tom

#675 BRG

BRG

• 16,703 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 19:45

Might it be possible that someone could be interested in the content of both magazines.....without being a "poseur"? :wave:

Having had to look back in the thread to find the context of this exchange back in May, the point was that complaining that Motor Sport was deficicent in that it didn't cover the same material as Octane was comparing oranges and lemons.  The poseur comment was a bonus gratutious slur thrown in for added zest.

To me, Octane is for those who want to have beautiful old cars and keep them in a garage and never use them,  Motor Sport is for people who like motor sport.

#676 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 466 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:48

Motor Sport is for people who like F1 and don't mind references to 'cogs' in a gearbox and other gaffes. I like Octane and I love motorsport. Sadly the latter isn't catered for very well in the UK.

#677 john aston

john aston

• 1,680 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:32

People have been saying 'cogs' for decades; F1 gets a little too much cover in MS for my liking but this month we have text on E -Types and Cortinas, 'lunch with' is with a biker and Mr Arron of this parish writes about Oulton and Cadwell... 

#678 proviz

proviz

• 528 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:08

Put me in the category of those who despise on line mags. I just abhor having to squint at a screen, scroll up, scroll down, scroll sideways, back and forth, here and there, until I go nuts. I just will not do it. I want a hard copy in my hands that I can pick up. leaf through, read at my convenience, have the whole page in front of me, and then stack on the shelf for future reference. 

Tom

Seconded, every single word! Furthermore, somehow I find it is more difficult to memorize things I read on a screen rather than on a proper paper page.

#679 Ristin

Ristin

• 106 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:19

Put me in the category of those who despise on line mags. I just abhor having to squint at a screen, scroll up, scroll down, scroll sideways, back and forth, here and there, until I go nuts. I just will not do it. I want a hard copy in my hands that I can pick up. leaf through

Tom

I love magazines. Always did. And I can well understand how somebody would like the experience of holding and reading a "real" printed product. I won't argue against it.
But the inconvenience of having to scroll around in all directions is just a matter of screen size. There is no need to scroll around on my 12.9 inch tablet, it is almost the size of a "real" magazine page. Flipping orientation between landscape (for viewing two-page spreads) and portrait (viewing one page only for easier reading of small print) is all I do. Oh, and zooming in sometimes to see details on a photo more clearly but that is more of a benefit than a nuisance.
To me the advantages of online reading outweigh the pleasure of owning a real magazine:
- I do not need my glasses
- I can take an almost infinte amount of magazines with me on a journey
- I do no longer clutter my house with tons of paper
- I do not need to drive into town to have a good choice of magazines
- I can read or browse through a wide range of magazines with no additional costs (Readly subscriber). Quite a lot of them cover topics I find interesting to read about, but could not afford to buy them

The one BIG downside I see: how are printed magazines going to survive if people can read them online almost for free (Readly flatrate)? But I reckon this battle is already lost, we can't stop the demise of print anyway. Most likely it will survive only in a small niche, like vinyl or good old fashioned photograghy.

Advertisement

#680 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,319 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 22:06

People have been saying 'cogs' for decades; F1 gets a little too much cover in MS for my liking but this month we have text on E -Types and Cortinas, 'lunch with' is with a biker and Mr Arron of this parish writes about Oulton and Cadwell... 

F1 gets far too much coverage in Motorsport; I mean there is also Autosport and F1 Racing.......

Rallying doesn't get a fair crack of the whip - though maybe they're only reinforcing the view that it's popularity has waned. I can't remember the last time there was a podcast dedicated to rallying. 

#681 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,732 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 14:50

All relative to one's interests, I suppose..  I like the short F-1 reports, as I do not get any mags that report the weekend's races. Hence, after I watch the telecast, I get some info from the MS web site, then a little detail when the mag comes.

As far as rallying coverage, I have zero interest in rallying, so whatever rally articles they print just get skipped over by me.

Once again, different strokes......

Tom

#682 Steve99

Steve99

• 469 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 16:56

I shall be buying this!

#683 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 902 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:53

I was very tempted in WH Smiths this morning  by the article on Nuvolari at Donington Park in this months issue but at £.5.50 I left it for now as for just five bob more I could get a 600 page hard back tome on World War 1.

Edited by Eric Dunsdon, 04 October 2018 - 11:57.

#684 F1matt

F1matt

• 998 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:55

Tom

Just to add to this, there is nothing more annoying than a pop up advert when I am trying to read an online article that follows me around the page....

#685 BRG

BRG

• 16,703 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 18:10

I was very tempted in WH Smiths this morning  by the article on Nuvolari at Donington Park in this months issue but at £.5.50 I left it for now as for just five bob more I could get a 600 page hard back tome on World War 1.

That doesn't really prove much though, does it?  For the same price, you could get a couple of skinny lattes.  It depends what you are interested in - personally, I wouldn't pay five bob (let alone £5.75) for a book on WW1, whether hard back or not.

#686 kayemod

kayemod

• 8,979 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 18:22

That doesn't really prove much though, does it?  For the same price, you could get a couple of skinny lattes.  It depends what you are interested in - personally, I wouldn't pay five bob (let alone £5.75) for a book on WW1, whether hard back or not.

Well, maybe you wouldn't, but show some respect please. Eric fought in the trenches, up to his neck in muck & bullets and all that, throughout the 1914-18 unpleasantness.

#687 BRG

BRG

• 16,703 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 18:32

Well, maybe you wouldn't, but show some respect please. Eric fought in the trenches, up to his neck in muck & bullets and all that, throughout the 1914-18 unpleasantness.

It was bad luck that he got called up again for National Service in 1960, you'd think he would have got exemption.  ;)

#688 john aston

john aston

• 1,680 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:19

A fiver is also much less than the down payment on a Goodwood programme ...

#689 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 902 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:54

And I didn't even get a mention in the index!. I  also spent several grim weeks in Catterick Camps 'Vimy Lines' during basic National Service training!. Were he still with us, our friend 'Sharman'  would have understood my hardship. And by the way, who is this Skinny Latte bloke?. :confused:.

#690 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,741 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:17

And by the way, who is this Skinny Latte bloke?. :confused:.

Must refer to the skin that forms on boiled milk. . .

#691 kayemod

kayemod

• 8,979 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:17

And by the way, who is this Skinny Latte bloke?. :confused:.

He works on Italian Railways, drives an espresso.

#692 LordAston

LordAston

• 162 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 17:29

Looked at the magazine in the shop thinking will it be different in 2019?  Answer - NO.  The only bit that could have made me buy it although not at the price would be interview/lunch with Jonathan Rea

#693 DCapps

DCapps

• 454 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 18:13

The other day I received an email that my last issue of Motor Sport was being sent and that I should renew. However, elsewhere, as when I checked my account at the magazine's Web site, I was informed that there were three issues left in my subscription. I did this out of curiosity given that there seems to be a long-standing disconnect between many of the emails I receive and what the account states regarding how many issues there are in my subscription (I will not mention that I once paid for my subscription and for an entire year -- and more -- never got an issue, but I digress...). Whether the one easing its way to my mailbox or perhaps the three more that might be heading this way, I have decided to not renew. This, I should point out, has far less to do with the magazine than with a shift in my thinking. I am also in the process of ending my long-held membership in almost all of my academic/scholarly associations (dating to at least the 1970s in most cases, when I was a graduate student), retaining only a very few at the moment. I will certainly miss the articles and the book reviews in scholarly journals far more I will Motor Sport (with the only possible exception being the great tales that Doug Nye provides us), but time and tide does begin to ebb for all of us. I am aware of reading my first issue of Motor Sport in 1954, so after over six decades of readership probably isn't too bad a run....

Edited by DCapps, 23 December 2018 - 18:14.

#694 brakedisc

brakedisc

• 203 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 21:35

Is it just me or is the renewal process far too complicated via the website?  I have a subscription but also pay for one for a friend and it never seems to go through resulting in me having to phone to renew one but not the other.

#695 proviz

proviz

• 528 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 07:56

The other day I received an email that my last issue of Motor Sport was being sent and that I should renew. However, elsewhere, as when I checked my account at the magazine's Web site, I was informed that there were three issues left in my subscription. I did this out of curiosity given that there seems to be a long-standing disconnect between many of the emails I receive and what the account states regarding how many issues there are in my subscription (I will not mention that I once paid for my subscription and for an entire year -- and more -- never got an issue, but I digress...). Whether the one easing its way to my mailbox or perhaps the three more that might be heading this way, I have decided to not renew. This, I should point out, has far less to do with the magazine than with a shift in my thinking. I am also in the process of ending my long-held membership in almost all of my academic/scholarly associations (dating to at least the 1970s in most cases, when I was a graduate student), retaining only a very few at the moment. I will certainly miss the articles and the book reviews in scholarly journals far more I will Motor Sport (with the only possible exception being the great tales that Doug Nye provides us), but time and tide does begin to ebb for all of us. I am aware of reading my first issue of Motor Sport in 1954, so after over six decades of readership probably isn't too bad a run....

Thank you for that digress, it helped me make up my mind NOT to subscribe. People should make a lot more noise about such things and publishing houses should be terrorized sufficiently to stop that kind of thing ever happening.

#696 john aston

john aston

• 1,680 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:26

I can't get excited about stuff like subscribing. I subscribed to three monthlies (Motor Sport  , Octane and Classic and Sports Car ) years ago and every month , magazines arrive - just like magic. On the odd occasion  when one doesn't . I ring up and get sent one .  Simple really .

I love motor racing and I love reading about it . Motor Sport covers it the best for me so I buy it . Again , it really is that simple . It could be better - I am not interested in bikes,, auctions or the market and I loathe factoid style reportage (100 words of fluff ,and forgotten in minutes)  .   

#697 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,836 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:17

I’ve thought for several years that access to the Motor Sport online archive is worth the cost of subscription. Anything that I find interesting in the magazine is a bonus - but there’s always something, headed by Doug Nye’s page.

#698 proviz

proviz

• 528 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 12:01

I can't get excited about stuff like subscribing. I subscribed to three monthlies (Motor Sport  , Octane and Classic and Sports Car ) years ago and every month , magazines arrive - just like magic. On the odd occasion  when one doesn't . I ring up and get sent one .  Simple really .

I love motor racing and I love reading about it . Motor Sport covers it the best for me so I buy it . Again , it really is that simple . It could be better - I am not interested in bikes,, auctions or the market and I loathe factoid style reportage (100 words of fluff ,and forgotten in minutes)  .   

It doesn't happen like that if you live outside UK. I still do subscribe to Autosport, mainly because I've got every issue since late 50s and it is an irreplaceable source of reference. However, in the past 17-18 months seven (yes, seven!) issues have failed to come through and before you even realize this is what's likely happened, it's been two weeks since UK publication date. So, you then contact the relevant party (not the publisher these days, of course) and the last time this happened I was told to prepare to allow for 28 days (can you believe that?) before the replacement is delivered. Indeed with those seven missed issues it has taken from 3 to 8 weeks before I've actually held them in my hands -  and that's counting from the day of reclamation, not publication. Sooner or later I'll take the trouble of digging into whether that is actually in line with EU legislation, although by then Brexit may have changed everything of course.

#699 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,732 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 16:43

Contrary to a number of posts, Motor Sport remains my favorite magazine and the one to which I look forward most eagerly. I have discontinued a number of other mags, but will continue to subscribe to MS.  The only other monthlies that I still receive are Sports Car (SCCA member for 51 yrs and for which I write), and Road & Track (not what it used to be but since I have every issue  since 1956 I cannot stop now!)

I do not get agitated over watch ads like so many people seem to do. After all, the advertisers know their demographics so it must be valuable to them. From my viewpoint, anything that contributes to holding down the subscription price is alright. Besides, it is easy to turn the page.

My only complaint is the delivery time. It is now Dec 24 and I have not received the current issue yet. Historically, the mag has come between the 10th of the month and the 7th of the next month. I attribute it to my living in the middle of North America, but nonetheless, think that a speedier delivery could be effected. 

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 24 December 2018 - 16:44.

Advertisement

#700 kayemod

kayemod

• 8,979 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 17:17

I used to buy or subscribe to several magazines, some that had content that interested me, and some that were related to my work and business, but now I only subscribe to one, which is Motor Sport. Some moaners here complain about the content, or say that it's too expensive, but as far as I'm concerned it's very good value in all respects, have these people seen what other magazines cost? Most of the Lunch With pieces are worth the cover price on their own. I have no real interest in motor bikes, but enjoy well written articles by Matt Oxley, one of the best writers the magazine has. Also, I have little interest in club racing these days, but always read anything written by Simon Arron, long may he keep enjoying those breakfasts he describes so enthusiastically, I hope his arteries keep going for a few years yet.

The watch advertorials don't bother me at all, partly because timepieces do interest me, and partly for the reasons that Tom describes, some people can be so intolerant! The only content I'd be pleased to see the back of are the useless pieces on current road cars, some based on nothing more than a couple of accompanied laps of the manufacturer's test track, do any MS readers actually like them? I dislike the self-aggrandising and massively overdone writing style more than anything, and I'm sure you all know who I mean, Motor Sport would be a much better magazine without him.