Photo

Motor Sport magazine - is it as good as it could be?

• Please log in to reply
714 replies to this topic

#701 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 851 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 17:34

Most of the Lunch With pieces are worth the cover price on their own.

I have no comment to add, just thought it was worth repeating.

Advertisement

#702 nicanary

nicanary

• 591 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 18:39

At least the Motor Sport subscribing process is accurate - they take my £11.85 every 3 months on the dot, and each issue arrives on time. As a previous poster mentioned, subscriptions these days are administered by third parties, and Classic & Sportscar have managed to deduct 5 quarterly payments from my bank account for each of the past 2 years.

The first time I questioned this, I was told it would all sort itself out after time, the second time I was advised that there had been 13 issues in 2018 (and that extra issue should cost £11,00 ??) and that they had re-arranged the dates for direct debits. Would it have been so difficult to advise their subscribers in advance? I don't like money being taken from my bank account when I'm not expecting it, even for a relatively small sum.

(I believe that these days this sort of thing is a First World Problem. Old age has made me tetchy.........)

#703 kayemod

kayemod

• 8,837 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 19:37

I have no comment to add, just thought it was worth repeating.

On posters who've moaned about the cost of Motor Sport, it seems to me we have a few latter day Oscar Wildes in our midst.

(The price of everything, the value of nothing)

#704 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,044 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 16:37

Actually that quote is often taken out of context, and is not precisely as originally written. And Wilde did not say it, one of his characters did.

#705 kayemod

kayemod

• 8,837 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 18:57

Actually that quote is often taken out of context, and is not precisely as originally written. And Wilde did not say it, one of his characters did.

Yes, I could have said Lord Darlington of course, but who other than you & me would have known who I meant?

...and anyway, I'm sure you'll agree it was Oscar wot wrote it.

Edited by kayemod, 25 December 2018 - 20:48.

#706 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,684 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 21:49

Yes, I could have said Lord Darlington of course, but who other than you & me would have known who I meant?

...and anyway, I'm sure you'll agree it was Oscar wot wrote it.

Yes but like many quotations credited to him (and Bernard Shaw) it is the character's opinion, not the author's. On TV a couple of days ago I heard the one about keeping a diary "to have something sensational to read on the train" (Miss Cardew in The Importance . . . ) simply attributed to OW as if he thought that.

#707 MarshalMike

MarshalMike

• 7 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 17:37

Short answer: no, Motorsport isn't as good as it could be. Having said that, it is now the only magazine I subscribe to and it stands head and shoulders above the rest of the motorsport related mag. There is always something worthwhile to read in every edition, it is entertaining and for the most part unbiased.

The only other magazine I buy regularly is Octane for the same reasons. I like watches, but don't own anything expensive, and my most used watch is a cheap chronograph from Lidl that I wear to eace meetings so I can time races. between these 2, I get good coverage of what I'm interested in, and having met several of the writers and had informal chats with them, they seem to be interested in what they write about.

Magazines have to appeal to the broadest number of people possible, so as Autosprout has reduced its coverage of club racing and hill climbing, and replaced it with more stuff about F1, I now very really read it, and certainly never buy it.

#708 PRD

PRD

• 379 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 16:41

Changes appear to be afoot: both Simon Arron and Gordon Cruickshank mention their regular feature end "this month" Feb 2019 issue received this morning, and Richard Meaden's column is missing

#709 opplock

opplock

• 561 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 14:18

SA writes that his column ends "in its current form" and GC writes that his column is ending "although I will be more visible than ever elsewhere in the magazine".

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the March issue. 

#710 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 851 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 17:27

Good stuff as always this month. Yet another great "Lunch With," fabulous personal reminiscences of Mike Hawthorn by Doug Nye, and an interesting if slightly creepy article about Hawthorn memorabilia. (I'm not a memorabilious kind of person anyway, but rescuing fragments of items his mother destroyed to prevent souvenir hunters getting them... hmm, maybe not what would appeal to me).

I don't share the dislike of Frankel's road car reports. Never have taken road tests and reviews too seriously. It's just some bloke's personal observations, based on a quick spin and probably some bias, but I find his enjoyable anyway.

#711 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 856 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 17:33

This months excellent cover picture of an impossibly young looking Mike Hawthorn was enough to make me pay out for a copy in W.H. Smiths today. I enjoyed the short summary of Mike's career and D.C.N's memories but tend to agree with 'Sterzo's' comments regarding the memorabilia. I have my own example in the form of Mike's autograph given in the paddock after the Goodwood Nine Hour race in 1955. I had just had my book signed by race winner Peter Walker under who's signature Hawthorn wrote 'Too Old At 40!'. 

#712 ensign14

ensign14

• 47,120 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 23:18

In the current issue, there's an advert from a company that deals in personalized number plates.  They've got a Ferrari in their advert wearing the plate "1 NYE". 

Either Motor Sport pays extremely well, or that's quite a nice joke from someone in advertising.

#713 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,344 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 20:43

Hmmm  -  I hadn't noticed that.  

Way back, John Aldington of AFN Ltd told me they had just taken a Porsche 911 in part-exchange which I think had the registration '2 NYE' - and he said he'd happily transfer the number to me if I fancied it.  Not being quite as green as grass I said I would never be able to afford it, to which dear old John said "Oh we'd let you have it FOC!".  Backed into a bit of a corner I then explained that having a personalised registration number was nowhere on my personal wants list, so thanks for the offer, but no thanks...  

Later I kicked myself for turning him down, because anyone even less green as grass would have said "Ooh yes please" - taken the registration, and then have promptly flogged it on to someone who did want it, or to one of those dealers in this peculiar trade...

DCN

#714 DCapps

DCapps

• 402 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:58

Changes appear to be afoot: both Simon Arron and Gordon Cruickshank mention their regular feature end "this month" Feb 2019 issue received this morning, and Richard Meaden's column is missing

Well, my January issue found its way to these foreign shores and then into my mailbox on Saturday, the 5th of January. The mailing wrapper informs me that -- Oh My! -- I have four issues left in the subscription...

#715 kayemod

kayemod

• 8,837 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:47

Well, my January issue found its way to these foreign shores and then into my mailbox on Saturday, the 5th of January. The mailing wrapper informs me that -- Oh My! -- I have four issues left in the subscription...

They've just written to tell me I only have one issue remaining. It's the only magazine I read these days, and I've always defended it robustly on here, but I'll wait to see the promised changes in the next issue before making a decision. Problem is that there's always been at least one thing in each issue that makes it worth getting. I'm half hoping they have something like "Lunch with Andrew Frankel" to make the decision for me.

On Doug's numberplate dilemma, having been afflicted long ago with the "personal plate" disease I'd have accepted the plate gratefully, but he could always have put the Nye plate on his lawnmower. Coincidentally, my current car, complete with transferred poncey "personal plate"  was sold to me by a pleasant guy with the surname Aldington. On the dealer's "Performance cars" side, he does sell the occasional Porsche, but I've never asked him if there's any connection.