Photo

Motor Sport magazine - is it as good as it could be?

• Please log in to reply
887 replies to this topic

#801 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,539 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 16:51

Hardly - it really WAS a turbine...   :confused:

DCN

Advertisement

#802 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,618 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 17:11

Which was exactly my point Doug.
The in-coming compressed air is pre-heated by the exhaust exiting the turbine itself. (So, in the sense of using residual energy from another part of the system - via a turbine - bearing some similarity in concept to what we popularly call a turbocharged engine).
I’m quite sure you know all that though!
Besides, it was only a joke...

#803 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,100 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 17:24

I picked up the Paul Newman issue while recently in the UK. I'm glad I did as there were several articles I found interesting.

It's refreshing to see PLN recognized for his driving talent and charitable works, especially amidst the overheated fanboy hype over all things McQueen.

#804 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 549 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:18

I started reading MS when I started to read and used to cut eh photos out of the centre pages for my scrapbook which I still have somewhere. I can  even remember the first coloured photo on the cover. I did give up during the red period but once it went more historic I got a sub and gain and have stuck with it's ever changing list of editors. However I think I may stop when my current sub runs out.  

The current editor does not respond to emails (even to acknowledge them) and the subscribers section is obviously no longer a priority with the forum section going AWOL.  A fellow reader said to me that he though 95% of the readers could not afford to buy anything that was advertised there and he may well be right.  The dropping of the excellent Dickie Meaden who was straight talking about some of the historic racing issues was strange and I miss Simon's monthly round up for clubby events which is to me the real motorsport that I am involved with. Like many others I am not a Frankel fan and really road tests of super cars are a bit pointless. Indeed is there a need for road tests at all now?

It would be interesting to hear from the editor as to who he thinks his core readership is.

#805 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 549 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 18:55

I read the Priaulx family article with interest as I saw Andy compete many times on the hills. It's quite interesting that there is no mention of the success on the hills in his dad's car. Strangely enough I read his autobiography a few years ago and the hills got barely a mention neither did his dad who obviously got him into motorsport. As they had a full spec Pilbeam and travelled over from the CI to compete the family were not destitute so the bit about living in a caravan and tins of beams when he started racing does not quite fiit.

#806 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,618 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:47

I saw Priaulx Senior compete on the hills (as well as Andy’s exploits) - with a car based on a Tiga S2000 with, If I remember correctly, an enlarged-capacity Swindon-built Cosworth BD motor.
I’m not clued-up on their family background and circumstances or wealth - but thre is a tendency for mainlanders, like me, to automatically think of Channel Islanders as all rich tax exiles in the finace industries; I suspect a fair number of those could be blow-ins. I assume from the name that the Priaulx family are ‘natives’ (?).

Perhaps Tim can tell us more, as he will have some ‘local knowledge’.

If, like me, you first followed them on the hills, it’s easy to forget that Andy’s subsequent career massively out-does and overwhems his achievements in UK speed events; maybe that’s why in his recounting the hillclimbing doesn’t get more than mention of where he started out?

Edited by 2F-001, 13 April 2019 - 06:49.

#807 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,697 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:55

Perhaps Tim can tell us more, as he will have some ‘local knowledge’.

I’ll do my best, although I haven’t been back to Guernsey since 1991. The Priaulx family were never tax exiles (although Andy may fit that description now). There have been Priaulx on Guernsey since the time of King John (sez Wiki) and in Victorian times one very generous Priaulx endowed the island with various amenities, including a library. Priaulx is a fairly common island name, however, so I don’t know how closely Andy’s branch of the family is related to the rich benefactor.

When I was a lad (late ‘50s/early ‘60s) Andy’s grandfather Ernie Priaulx had done a fine job building the local Fiat agency up from nothing to a flourishing dealership. Later on the family expanded their activities to include other makes including Alfa Romeo.

Ernie competed regularly on the local hillclimb (Le Val des Terres) driving a Fiat, naturally, and in time he was joined by his eldest son Graham. He too originally only competed in Fiats but, as Tony said, he graduated to other racing cars including the Tiga and then the Pilbeam which he shared with his son Andy.

Last year I saw Andy’s son Seb driving at Thruxton, so I’ve now seen four generations of the Priaulx family on track.

#808 BRG

BRG

• 16,703 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 20:04

As they had a full spec Pilbeam and travelled over from the CI to compete the family were not destitute so the bit about living in a caravan and tins of beams when he started racing does not quite fiit.

He did mention getting free ferry rides (although not how that was done - stickers on the car maybe?) so maybe they were on a tight budget.  He would hardly be the first competitor  to spend all his cash on the car, and living in a caravan when away from home was hardly unusual at that level of the sport.

#809 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 591 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:12

I picked up the Paul Newman issue while recently in the UK. I'm glad I did as there were several articles I found interesting.

It's refreshing to see PLN recognized for his driving talent and charitable works, especially amidst the overheated fanboy hype over all things McQueen.

He even recalled that the Zerex spl nee Cooper had a 2.7 liter Cosworth engine....  ;)

#810 BRG

BRG

• 16,703 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 18:14

He even recalled that the Zerex spl nee Cooper had a 2.7 liter Cosworth engine....  ;)

Actually, it is Penske that is being quoted as saying that.  Given that, as it was his car,  he must surely know better than that, we must assume it is a reprehensible typo by Motor Sport.

#811 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,836 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 21:22

Roger Penske said, on a recent RAC/Motor Sport podcast that theZerex spl had a Cosworth engine.

#812 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 591 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:05

Actually, it is Penske that is being quoted as saying that.  Given that, as it was his car,  he must surely know better than that, we must assume it is a reprehensible typo by Motor Sport.

In the recent booklet of re-printed Jaguar racing stories from Motor Sport,  Dan Gurney's co-driver in the Cunningham one-off Jaguar at Le Mans in 1960 apparently was one Walt Hangsen... and the name was repeated several times. Probably confused by that pioneer Japanese sports car racer Hang-san :stoned:.  Even if Penske said the Zerex spl had a Cosworth engine, somebody at the magazine should have picked it up methinks.

#813 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,539 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:15

Regrettably - very true.  'Hangsen' can of course be an unconscious mistype for 'Hansgen', or - worse - an example of pernicious spell-checker automatism in which the computer software writer thinks they know better. But at Goodwood MM77 the Zerex Cooper's info board held that in its original T53P single-seater form it had been driven by someone named Walt 'Hagerson'...  So just be grateful for small mercies.

Dong Yen

#814 kayemod

kayemod

• 8,979 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:51

Regrettably - very true.  'Hangsen' can of course be an unconscious mistype for 'Hansgen', or - worse - an example of pernicious spell-checker automatism in which the computer software writer thinks they know better. But at Goodwood MM77 the Zerex Cooper's info board held that in its original T53P single-seater form it had been driven by someone named Walt 'Hagerson'...  So just be grateful for small mercies.

Dong Yen

What, a Goodwood spelling mistake? I'm finding that rather hard to believe...

DSC-0990.jpg

#815 PCC

PCC

• 839 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 16:02

What, a Goodwood spelling mistake? I'm finding that rather hard to believe...

DSC-0990.jpg

Ouch!!

#816 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,697 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 16:11

One does tend to find a lot of duff gen on those boards ...

#817 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,539 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 17:04

:mad:  It does happen.

But the Zerex info board I cite above was the owner's - Goodwood in that case blameless...    :)

DCN

#818 john aston

john aston

• 1,680 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 17:09

At least it wasn't that obscure Italian firm , Alpha Romeo, nor that lot from down the road,  Maserrati - both of which I have seen in race programmes . And as for that Scots bloke , Jim Clarke....  . But I was most  taken with Dear Leap , as I am very fond of it too.  :yawnface: 

#819 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,741 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 18:09

And as for that Scots bloke , Jim Clarke....  .

Didn't he drive some of the cars that Mike Hawthorne had owned? :p

Advertisement

#820 kayemod

kayemod

• 8,979 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 18:22

And as for that Scots bloke , Jim Clarke....  .

Didn't he drive some of the cars that Mike Hawthorne had owned? :p

No, they were ex-Sterling Moss.

#821 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,206 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 18:43

Didn't the sign over BRM's pit at Monaco once read: "Oven Racing Organisation"?

#822 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 591 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:16

Didn't the sign over BRM's pit at Monaco once read: "Oven Racing Organisation"?

The BRMs were very hot that season, of course...

#823 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 591 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:20

At least it wasn't that obscure Italian firm , Alpha Romeo, nor that lot from down the road,  Maserrati - both of which I have seen in race programmes . And as for that Scots bloke , Jim Clarke....  . But I was most  taken with Dear Leap , as I am very fond of it too.  :yawnface:

Did you ever visit the Nurnbergring, by any happy chance?

#824 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 902 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:10

Some Continental organisers had trouble with Ivor Bueb's name. I recall him listed as Igor Bulb which doesn't sound like a Cheltenham man.

#825 kayemod

kayemod

• 8,979 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:23

Some Continental organisers had trouble with Ivor Bueb's name. I recall him listed as Igor Bulb which doesn't sound like a Cheltenham man.

If you mispronounced Ivor slightly, he'd sound Dutch, did he ever enter the Tulip Rally?

#826 ensign14

ensign14

• 48,642 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 13:39

To be fair, neither does Ivor Bueb.  Did we ever find out the origin of the surname? 

#827 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,697 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 14:16

In the Drivers with ‘rare’ surnames thread GeoffE unearthed the facts that Ivor and his sister Gracie were the first Buebs recorded in England/Wales, and that Ivor’s father’s name was recorded as Buel when he married:

Originally posted by GeoffE
Gracie BUEB (1920) and her brother Ivor (1923) were the first instances of the name in the Eng/Wales BMD indexes. Their mother's maiden name was VAGNOLINI.

I have now found their parents' marriage (1919) in the West Ham district (where the births were also registered).

They appear in the index as Leon G BUEL to Grace M A VAGNOLINE.

Grace was born in Lambeth, as were her father and grandmother. Her paternal grandfather was born in Italy.
So was either Buel or Bueb a recording error by the relevant registrar, or did Leon Buel actually change his name to Bueb?

#828 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,732 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 14:43

On this side of the pond we are regularly exposed to such gems as Mark "Donahue" and Brian "Redmond".  Usually the same people who get Adamowicz and Motschenbacher right! Can be puzzling...

#829 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,539 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 20:05

It was a Reims programme, I believe, which listed 'Igor Bulb'.  They also perpetrated 'Steam Motors' ('Team Lotus')... 

But without such harmless cock-ups, wouldn't life be dull....   :(

DCN

#830 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,132 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 21:05

If they had done a mini-bio on Ivor, would his mother's name flowed better?

Perhaps 'Valvoline'?

#831 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 631 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 20:25

I'm a bit behind the times, having just heard about a new quarterly magazine, Autotradition which started last year....have just received the 1st 3 issues and they are what I would like Motor Sport to be....concentrating on personalities, categories, races, cars etc from the past with no mention of current F1. Well worth buying an issue or 2 or subscribing. Issue 4 is due late June.

www.autotradition.co.uk

#832 john aston

john aston

• 1,680 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:52

Looks intriguing - who writes for them ?

#833 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 631 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:46

Editor is Mike Jiggle  Editor at Large: Peter Collins

Contributing Editors & Photographers: Peter Austin, Darren Banks, Keith Booker, Roger Dixon, Neville Hay, Kary Jiggle, Ed McDonough, Chris Willows, Roy Smith 

Ed McDonough is producing a book on the F3 1 Litre screamer era, it is being serialised in issues 1-4.

Go on the website, click on Shop then Magazine, scroll down, it describes what features are in each issue. Is expensive at £7.50 / issue but I took out a subscription [4 issues] starting from issue 1 [hence getting 3 issues at once] the price drops to £6.25 / issue.

Edit:   there is an advert on p40 in the latest [May 2019] issue of Historic Motor Racing News

Edited by Dick Dastardly, 29 April 2019 - 21:44.

#834 barrykm

barrykm

• 594 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 15:09

The magazine is great , and has almost always has been.

BUT, I am finding that their response, or rather lack of response, to online subscription queries is quite appalling. I am loath to phone since I am outside the UK, but I will probably have to

Has anyone else experienced this? 

Any MS management reading this thread?

#835 barrykm

barrykm

• 594 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 15:20

Auto response just received after my latest email a few minutes ago:-

Thank you for contacting Motor Sport Magazine.

We’re currently experiencing a high volume of emails. We will respond as soon as we can, but please bear with us as this may take up to 15 working days.

15 Days...?1 Has their whole system collapsed, or is their single staff member on vacation?

Apologies if I sound too harsh, but this is annoying.

Edited by barrykm, 06 May 2019 - 15:21.

#836 kayemod

kayemod

• 8,979 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 15:38

The magazine is great , and has almost always has been.

BUT, I am finding that their response, or rather lack of response, to online subscription queries is quite appalling. I am loath to phone since I am outside the UK, but I will probably have to

Has anyone else experienced this? 

Any MS management reading this thread?

I've had a few subscription queries over the years, and they've always been dealt with quickly and efficiently and in a friendly manner with a brief phone call, never tried any other contact method, though of course, I'm in the UK, so phone is quick and easy.

I can understand your problem and frustration though. I know that overseas phone calls can often be expensive, but given the lack of response to your emails, that could be your only option, just hope that your call doesn't cost an amount comparable with an annual subscription. Could any problem you're having be caused by a distributor in your Country, and not down to Motor Sport in London?

#837 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 353 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 16:21

Now that the May issue has arrived in The Colonies, I note that he also said that Jackie Stewart's and Jack Brabham's busts were on the Borg-Warner trophy, which they are not; neither having won at Indy.  I think even such a dynamic 82 year man, headed to Germany for a business meeting, and jet lagged for having just landed in London, is entitled to a little bit of slack.

#838 barrykm

barrykm

• 594 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 16:56

I've had a few subscription queries over the years, and they've always been dealt with quickly and efficiently and in a friendly manner with a brief phone call, never tried any other contact method, though of course, I'm in the UK, so phone is quick and easy.

I can understand your problem and frustration though. I know that overseas phone calls can often be expensive, but given the lack of response to your emails, that could be your only option, just hope that your call doesn't cost an amount comparable with an annual subscription. Could any problem you're having be caused by a distributor in your Country, and not down to Motor Sport in London?

Thanks Kayemod - yes, I will phone tomorrow, I can see that will be the only way. I do really enjoy MS, I have done so for many tears now.

My subscription is directly with MS, no intermediaries.

I had to get it off my chest, I just hope MS management appreciate how poor this aspect of their operations is.

#839 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 99 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 19:56

Thanks Kayemod - yes, I will phone tomorrow, I can see that will be the only way. I do really enjoy MS, I have done so for many tears now.

My subscription is directly with MS, no intermediaries.

I had to get it off my chest, I just hope MS management appreciate how poor this aspect of their operations is.

Do note that today (Monday 6 May) is a public holiday in the UK so you would not get a reply to email or telephone.  I would give them a day or two to catch up before phoning unless you are desperate.

Edited by jtremlett, 06 May 2019 - 19:58.

Advertisement

#840 john aston

john aston

• 1,680 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:12

Editor is Mike Jiggle  Editor at Large: Peter Collins

Contributing Editors & Photographers: Peter Austin, Darren Banks, Keith Booker, Roger Dixon, Neville Hay, Kary Jiggle, Ed McDonough, Chris Willows, Roy Smith 

Ed McDonough is producing a book on the F3 1 Litre screamer era, it is being serialised in issues 1-4.

Go on the website, click on Shop then Magazine, scroll down, it describes what features are in each issue. Is expensive at £7.50 / issue but I took out a subscription [4 issues] starting from issue 1 [hence getting 3 issues at once] the price drops to £6.25 / issue.

Edit:   there is an advert on p40 in the latest [May 2019] issue of Historic Motor Racing News

Belated thanks. Quality of writing is as important as content and most of the names are unfamiliar. That doesn't mean it's bad but as I already subscribe to CSCC, MS and Octane I think i will sit this one out.      

#841 Steve99

Steve99

• 469 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:28

Belated thanks. Quality of writing is as important as content and most of the names are unfamiliar. That doesn't mean it's bad but as I already subscribe to CSCC, MS and Octane I think i will sit this one out.      

John, you may be one who prefers the print copy in hand, but I recently subscribed to 'Readly', an app which gives you access to each of the above mentioned, plus many more, for less than a tenner a month. It looks great on an iPad, and saves me a lot of money!

#842 LordAston

LordAston

• 162 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 15:06

Just having a random look at the MS shop page (as you do).  It costs to deliver on some books £20 for UK, £20 for US and £20 to rest of the world (how did they work that out) - this is for the same book to all the countries in the world - weird.   

#843 mistakenplane

mistakenplane

• 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 14:52

My personal opinion is that the magazine has gone downhill since Damian Smith left. There are still good writers there, but things are slipping from the standards there used to be. It is a shame, I always loved it, but I suspect when my subscription ends I won't renew it this time, which saddens me.

And I would agree with others: I never really understand why it advertises and markets luxury good which its readership largely cannot afford, nor why pages are devoted to road tests of cars of eye watering expense...

#844 blackmme

blackmme

• 734 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 20:41

Just looking through the Digital edition of this months issue, absolutely terrific content across such a range of subjects and a rather unique character for ‘Lunch With’.

For me at the price of about 1.75 pints of Adnams something or other it’s very good value.

Regards Mike

#845 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,480 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 21:28

Very good article by Mat Oxley on Peter Hickmans fastest ever lap at the Senior last year.  Looking forward to being at Gorse Lea this year ( day trip on the Wednesday ) to see if he can get close to it on a Supersport and what he'll do on a Superbike ( via TT Timing unfortunately ) :clap:  

#846 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,732 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 15:25

And I would agree with others: I never really understand why it advertises and markets luxury good which its readership largely cannot afford, nor why pages are devoted to road tests of cars of eye watering expense...

I would think because a market study of reader demographics tells prospective advertisers that their products appeal to a segment of the readers. If not, they would not advertise in the mag. Those same prospects likely are also interested in high end cars. Sadly,  I do not fall in that category, but wish that I did!

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 11 May 2019 - 15:26.

#847 john aston

john aston

• 1,680 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 17:12

Of course - and whilst the appeal of some Patek Philippe frippery is zero to some of us, I  will happily perv  over a 250 SWB advert , despite both being  a tad outside  my budget .But it's easy - I just don't read the watch stuff . Not too hard to skip a page or two really , and I suspect those who fly into a delicious rage about watch porn do so only to find a hook to hang the fact that they can't be arsed to buy the magazine  because it isn't 1967 any more (other favourite years are available ) , Jenks and the Bod are not doing their thing  and Innes isn't bellowing 'Lad! ' any more .

It is far from prefect  -Jenny Gow's stuff is toe cringingly awful and whilst I don't mind Frankel's prose I do wish he'd write about his 2CV habit instead of about yet another in the series of near  identical McLaren road cars .

#848 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 597 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 16:05

As for those McLarens, I'm not sure I'd buy any of them, since I don't know if a Rollei would fit in the cubby-hole.

#849 john aston

john aston

• 1,680 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:47

What a splendidly first world problem to have...I feel your pain .

#850 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 66 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 14:27

Another first world problem I am afraid: I skipped my subscription of MS a couple of months ago

but they keep sending me  2 -3 mails PER DAY to offer gifts, vouchers, subscription offers, tickets etc.

I asked a couple of times to stop it, without success. Annoying, how can I get rid of them? :mad: