Photo

Motor Sport magazine - is it as good as it could be?

• Please log in to reply
971 replies to this topic

#851 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,013 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 15:25

Another first world problem I am afraid: I skipped my subscription of MS a couple of months ago

but they keep sending me  2 -3 mails PER DAY to offer gifts, vouchers, subscription offers, tickets etc.

I asked a couple of times to stop it, without success. Annoying, how can I get rid of them? :mad:

Very simple. May depend on which email provider you use, I use Outlook, but others will be more or less the same, first highlight one of the MS messages in the reading pane.

At the top of the page, click on Actions, then Junk mail and Add sender to blocked senders list.

That's it, those nasty people at Motor Sport shouldn't bother you any more. If you change your mind, just follow the same course in reverse.

Actions, Junk email, Junk email options, blocked senders, and remove Motor Sport magazine from the list.

Nothing to it, though it's possible other providers may have slightly different labels.

Advertisement

#852 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,926 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 16:19

I'm a digital subscriber and in addition to having the much needed space without years' worth of back issues lying about (due in no small part to downsizing my digs) I can peruse the archive which gives me great pleasure. Now I wish that Rod & Truck would do the same thing. Archives I mean.

#853 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 68 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:12

Kayemod - thank you!

My complain was a general unhappiness regarding MS but your concrete support is much appreciated.

I´ll try to follow your instructions and hopefully there will be no more useless offers in future. Andreas   

#854 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 592 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 21:22

One does tend to find a lot of duff gen on those boards ...

In "Matters of the Moment" in the latest issue, there is a feature that is headed "Monaco still magic at 90", and goes on to remind us that "Grover-Williams was the first of 46 drivers to have won the Monaco GP,  Nuvolari,  Moss, Carraciola, Fangio, Brabham, Schumacher, Haekkinen, McLaren, Lauda, Prost and the original Villeneuve being among those to have followed."  A very significant name was, unfortunately, not on  this list.  A case of Mr Monaco Forgotten (to paraphrase a book title), perhaps? :well:

#855 uffen

uffen

• 1,872 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 00:05

In "Matters of the Moment" in the latest issue, there is a feature that is headed "Monaco still magic at 90", and goes on to remind us that "Grover-Williams was the first of 46 drivers to have won the Monaco GP,  Nuvolari,  Moss, Carraciola, Fangio, Brabham, Schumacher, Haekkinen, McLaren, Lauda, Prost and the original Villeneuve being among those to have followed."  A very significant name was, unfortunately, not on  this list.  A case of Mr Monaco Forgotten (to paraphrase a book title), perhaps? :well:

Both G. Hill and A. Senna absent.

#856 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,602 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 16:33

For some, that is deeply...disappointing...            :rolleyes:

#857 BRG

BRG

• 16,879 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 18:44

The latest issue contains two articles by Mark Hughes.  One is his regular F1 comment, and is a page of nearly incomprehensible aerodynamics drivel about barge boards and airflows.  This says more about what is wrong with F1 (and indeed most motor sport) than what is right.  

The other is about the new Ferrari team boss Binotto.  It is clear that Hughes loathed the previous boss Arrivabene who made the error of not speaking to the press.  So now the new media-friendly Binotto is lionised and all his corporate management speak is repeated as if it were Holy Writ.  A really nauseating piece of arse-licking by Hughes.

Edited by BRG, 31 May 2019 - 18:45.

#858 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,722 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 19:43

I'm amazed Binotto hasn't been sacked for his shambolic handling of Leclerc. But because he is media savvy, the crescendo of criticism that should had headed his way has turned into a respectfully muted muttering instead.

#859 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,083 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 20:49

The problem with motor sport journalism is the same as all sport journalism these days.  It is so sycophantic you can see journalistic tongues sticking out of their interviewees' teeth.  They are so scared of losing their privileges for daring to write anything the slightest bit controversial.

The classic example being when Kaltenborn was under arrest because she'd sold the same Sauber drive to 5 different drivers.  Not one contemporary journalist of any stripe covered the issue.  It was the rankest, most odious, most opprobrious instance of cowardism.  All because nobody dared upset Bernie and write that maybe something was rotten in the state of F1.

The upshot was Bernie bailed them out and the innocent Manor team died as a direct consequence.   But all swept under the rug.

Same goes for football.  Nobody is asking questions why Derby and V***a are allowed to cheat the League's financial regulations to the extent of several tens of millions.   Nobody asked why the League had appointed a chair who was banned from running a club.  All **** scared of being exiled from the grounds and interviewing Klopp and so on.

Advertisement

#860 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 367 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 21:26

And many other football clubs before them ...

#861 GoldenEra

GoldenEra

• 185 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 21:41

The problem with motor sport journalism is the same as all sport journalism these days. It is so sycophantic you can see journalistic tongues sticking out of their interviewees' teeth. They are so scared of losing their privileges for daring to write anything the slightest bit controversial.

The classic example being when Kaltenborn was under arrest because she'd sold the same Sauber drive to 5 different drivers. Not one contemporary journalist of any stripe covered the issue. It was the rankest, most odious, most opprobrious instance of cowardism. All because nobody dared upset Bernie and write that maybe something was rotten in the state of F1.

The upshot was Bernie bailed them out and the innocent Manor team died as a direct consequence. But all swept under the rug.

Same goes for football. Nobody is asking questions why Derby and V***a are allowed to cheat the League's financial regulations to the extent of several tens of millions. Nobody asked why the League had appointed a chair who was banned from running a club. All **** scared of being exiled from the grounds and interviewing Klopp and so on.

adam cooper covered it https://adamcooperf1.../sauber/page/2/

https://mobile.twitt...199042205687808

there's definitely more stuff on his twitter but it's hard to find as this was 4 years ago.

https://mobile.twitt...911763230638080

https://mobile.twitt...178212310503424

https://adamcooperf1...ourt-on-monday/

https://mobile.twitt...904956714106880

Edited by GoldenEra, 31 May 2019 - 21:43.

#862 john aston

john aston

• 1,711 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:05

I applaud Joe Dunn's decision in a recent editorial to condemn some of the shady regimes with which F1 is now consorting though .. One of them had locked up a Brit for life(on zero evidence and a 10minute, lawyer free , trial )  a few days before its soi disant Grand Prix  but the silence from the F1 community was deafening .. 

But it is a curate's egg this month - especially the ghastly , sub Sunday Times F1 Rich List . Who cares exactly which bloated plutocrat chucked a few mill at Racing Point(, or whatever  the team formerly known as Jordan  is called this week )or where their millions came from ?

The  Brundle Jag piece and Lunch With Rob Smedley are  both good reads but please God , spare me from Jennie Gow's souffle light fluff, which is just embarrassing  . And can someone please tell her to write  'standing ' . (not 'stood') and 'sitting ',( not 'sat '.)  It makes me bloody wince to see such bad English.  

I am more relaxed  about Mark Hughes' F1 stuff - I suspect  he writes about minutiae such as turning vanes  as there's not much close fought racing  to write about is there? 

But nothing about the sort of stuff people like me actually go and see - no HSCC coverage , no CSCC or VSCC nor even modern national racing . And speed hill climbs and drag racing may as well be extinct for all the cover they get

#863 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,083 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:39

I found the Rich List thing interesting, as I had not appreciated just how rich the new Jordan owners were.  It is not beyond the realms of possibility that they could spend their way much closer to the front. 

#864 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,345 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 14:30

The latest issue contains two articles by Mark Hughes.  One is his regular F1 comment, and is a page of nearly incomprehensible aerodynamics drivel about barge boards and airflows.  This says more about what is wrong with F1 (and indeed most motor sport) than what is right.  

The other is about the new Ferrari team boss Binotto.  It is clear that Hughes loathed the previous boss Arrivabene who made the error of not speaking to the press.  So now the new media-friendly Binotto is lionised and all his corporate management speak is repeated as if it were Holy Writ.  A really nauseating piece of arse-licking by Hughes.

It's an interview. Should Binotto's words not appear? I couldn't find any lionisation or arse-licking by Hughes, just quotes.

Meanwhile, the Lunch With was brilliant (as always) and I liked GC's ramble through the subject of wind tunnels. Hardly a learned treatise, more "all the bits and pieces I can think of", in true Motor Sport tradition. Enjoyed various other articles too. I also read the Jenny Gow page. (Wrongly).

#865 mistakenplane

mistakenplane

• 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:23

GC's wind tunnel article was indeed a very good read. I was expecting a one-pager on the proposed tunnel, not a history of their uses! Lunch with... was also a good piece. Must say I didn't bother with the rich list - utterly pointless unless it's aimed squarely at the 1% of readers who'd like to compare their personal wealth  :rotfl: 

I still don't enjoy reading it though. I used to eagerly await it landing on the mat and spending a couple of days reading it cover to cover. This one I browsed through, read what looked of interest, and moved on. 'Tis a shame.

#866 PCC

PCC

• 847 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:59

Not quite the most recent issue, but I really enjoyed Simon Arron's Grand Tour. To me, one of the things that has always set racing apart is that it unfolds in such distinct places, each with its own characteristics, history, each making unique demands on participants. Yes, I know that Wimbledon is different from Roland-Garros, but the differences pale compared to those between the Nordschleife and Monaco. No other sport, except I suppose bicycle racing, immerses us in such distinct and vivid worlds.

That said, I think Motor Sport should commission Simon to do a re-write. The revised version should be much longer, and it must be a an actual travelogue, rather than a hypothetical plan. And although I know Simon is very capable with a camera, he'll be busy driving, chatting up locals, writing etc. - so I think he should bring a dedicated photographer with him. Someone whose sole job will be to take as many photos as possible between meals.

Okay Simon, stop pestering me, I'll do it!

Edited by PCC, 11 June 2019 - 03:00.

#867 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 489 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:46

The current issue has an XJR-12 on the cover and usually that would be enough to take a look. Trouble is I've fallen for that in the past (various issues with WEC cars on the cover etc). Anyone had a look?

#868 john aston

john aston

• 1,711 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 16:11

See post 862 :wave:

#869 mfd

mfd

• 2,985 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 19:33

I agree with your #862.

Having experienced it, the ooh aah gush & fluff from Jennie Gow isn't surprising.

The Rich list told me, there's lots of Billionaires I've never heard of who've now discovered F1.
The article about going to the British GP, told me you could spend several thousands on hospitality or £4368 for two seats in a helicopter flying from nearby Northampton.

Bye Motor Sport, I've just subscribed to Automobilsport

#870 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,345 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 19:31

Weeds flourish on my lawn because Motor Sport arrived today.

For years I’ve longed for a “lunch with” Mauro Forghieri, and there it was, the interviewer being Doug Nye. Talk about anticipation… and the article was even more fascinating than I’d expected. Fabulous stuff. Then there’s a coherent account of the Alfa Romeo T33 development history, quite an achievement, as nothing in quirky old Alfa’s history is ever coherent. That article too is by the brilliant Doug Nye. (DCN – you’re allowed to feel embarrassed. My wife says I’m always embarrassing).

Add an insightful analysis of Ferrari’s current F1 woes, and a top-notch interview with Vettel, both by Mark Hughes. Plus a letter from someone whose kart track was used by… I’ll leave you to read it. And some of the best “You were there” pictures I’ve seen, with a great story about how they were found. Any Horace Gould fans here?

Only half the mag left to read, including the “regular” lunch with, which features Michele Mouton

#871 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,129 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:03

Weeds flourish on my lawn because Motor Sport arrived today.

For years I’ve longed for a “lunch with” Mauro Forghieri, and there it was, the interviewer being Doug Nye. Talk about anticipation… and the article was even more fascinating than I’d expected. Fabulous stuff. Then there’s a coherent account of the Alfa Romeo T33 development history, quite an achievement, as nothing in quirky old Alfa’s history is ever coherent. That article too is by the brilliant Doug Nye. (DCN – you’re allowed to feel embarrassed. My wife says I’m always embarrassing).

Add an insightful analysis of Ferrari’s current F1 woes, and a top-notch interview with Vettel, both by Mark Hughes. Plus a letter from someone whose kart track was used by… I’ll leave you to read it. And some of the best “You were there” pictures I’ve seen, with a great story about how they were found. Any Horace Gould fans here?

Only half the mag left to read, including the “regular” lunch with, which features Michele Mouton

Is the the June or the July issue? The MS web site apparently no longer describes the contents and the covers don't describe the articles you mentioned.

Thank you.

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 25 June 2019 - 04:04.

#872 nicanary

nicanary

• 603 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:11

Is the the June or the July issue? The MS web site apparently no longer describes the contents and the covers don't describe the articles you mentioned.

Thank you.

It's the August 2109 issue. It was due for publication on June 26 but mine arrived by post on June 24.  So an August issue arrives in June. That's progress for you. Madness. Sheer madness.

#873 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,083 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:23

It's the August 2109 issue. It was due for publication on June 26 but mine arrived by post on June 24.  So an August issue arrives in June. That's progress for you. Madness. Sheer madness.

Even more so, it seems to have come from 90 years in the future.  Wow.

#874 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,779 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:57

Grrreat! Please, enlighten us - how's the world of motor racing in the 22nd century? :cat: Electric, I presume...

#875 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,926 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:01

Grrreat! Please, enlighten us - how's the world of motor racing in the 22nd century? :cat: Electric, I presume...

I believe it's solar......

#876 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,083 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:01

People are saying it was better in the past.

#877 nicanary

nicanary

• 603 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:53

Even more so, it seems to have come from 90 years in the future.  Wow.

That's what happens if Francoise Hardy is sitting in your lap. Typing errors come oh so easy.

#878 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,013 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:20

People are saying it was better in the past.

A man phoned the ticket office at Paul Ricard to find out when the 2109 French GP was on. They asked if he had a preferred day, and what time he'd be able to turn up...

#879 john winfield

john winfield

• 3,020 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:38

By June 2109 Williams have won 438 consecutive grand prix. Mercedes retired from the sport in 2036, furious at finally losing a race, that year's British GP sprint at Llandow.

Works Ferraris still dominate at Le Mans. Citroen win the Monte after all other cars are disqualified for having headlights.

Advertisement

#880 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,013 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:55

And if you take up their current bargain subscription offer, Motor Sport is only £188.95 for each issue.

#881 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,129 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 13:58

Apparently the future isn't what it used to be.........:rolleyes:

#882 PCC

PCC

• 847 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 16:36

Apparently the future isn't what it used to be......... :rolleyes:

In fact, not even the past is what it used to be....

#883 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,779 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:39

By June 2109 Williams have won 438 consecutive grand prix. Mercedes retired from the sport in 2036, furious at finally losing a race, that year's British GP sprint at Llandow.

Works Ferraris still dominate at Le Mans. Citroen win the Monte after all other cars are disqualified for having headlights.

Isn't that the second year in succession that Williams have won over 400 races? Especially impressive was their run of ten wins within an hour at the 2108 Mongolian Grand Prix, was it?

#884 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,666 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:56

And those ten races alone netted the team 4400 points.

Curiously, even decades after their inception, still no Overtaking Points have actually been awarded...

#885 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,779 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:08

Who needs overtaking points, anyway. The introduction of points for team gear had a much bigger effect, and the make-up points for driver wives even decided the Championship once...

Edited by Michael Ferner, 26 June 2019 - 09:10.

#886 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 1,689 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:16

Personally, I enjoyed the retrospective on the early 21st century "practical joke" scandal which culminated in the French GP winner being awarded a trophy made from a novelty toothbrush holder. 

#887 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,779 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:20

And the Lunch with... Toddle Smith was fascinating, too! I can't wait for Toddle to finish school, and start his motor racing career!

#888 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,083 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:48

Shame that Alonso is still searching for that elusive Indy 500 win.  Beaten by Pippa Mann VIII this time.

#889 BRG

BRG

• 16,879 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 18:02

September 2019 issue out (and it's still July  :rolleyes: ) and I don't think the cover is going to be well received hereabouts.

#890 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,345 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 21:41

Another great "lunch with", Trevor Carlin this month. Fascinating as always.

#891 john aston

john aston

• 1,711 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:07

As I am not going to Monterey (again ) , and my bank says I  can't run to investing in an old car worth more than my house , a significant part of the magazine will be unread this month . But the Carlin lunch was fascinating - and Trevor is clearly still very much the enthusiast .

#892 uffen

uffen

• 1,872 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:16

As I am not going to Monterey (again ) , and my bank says I  can't run to investing in an old car worth more than my house , a significant part of the magazine will be unread this month . But the Carlin lunch was fascinating - and Trevor is clearly still very much the enthusiast .

But aren't those the very reasons to read the magazine? I wouldn't read much if I only read about where I am going (or had been).

#893 john aston

john aston

• 1,711 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 17:55

True , but this is more of a long promo supplement on Monterey . And whilst my love of the pornography of lovely old cars in adverts endures, I am not very interested in market talk guff. Octane does that so much better anyway  . I'd rather read about old race circuits , or  a pligrimage to Santa Pod or Bo'ness , or a profile of a forgotten F2 driver than breathless prose on what half a mill will buy me , and then what return I'll make  on it .

#894 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 360 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 19:01

True , but this is more of a long promo supplement on Monterey . And whilst my love of the pornography of lovely old cars in adverts endures, I am not very interested in market talk guff. Octane does that so much better anyway  . I'd rather read about old race circuits , or  a pligrimage to Santa Pod or Bo'ness , or a profile of a forgotten F2 driver than breathless prose on what half a mill will buy me , and then what return I'll make  on it .

" on what half a mill will buy me ";   so, you're looking at the high mileage econoboxes?

#895 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,013 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 22:26

September 2019 issue out (and it's still July  :rolleyes: ) and I don't think the cover is going to be well received hereabouts.

The cover certainly didn't go down well with me, that line, "McLaren's forgotten CanAm racer". Having been involved in the construction of a few of them, and having absorbed a lot of information about the cars and the series history, I wondered how one could have escaped my notice, but it turned out to be nothing more than the Cooper-based Penske Zerex Special, hardly "Forgotten", never a "Secret" and even less a "Mystery". The car was conceived, built and raced by Roger Penske before the CanAm series even existed, and it never raced in it in anything like the form written about in the MS feature. The first lines of the article inside are worse. "The Zerex Special is probably the most important and influential car you've never heard of". I'd agree that it's an interesting creation, and it was certainly important and influential as far as Bruce & Co were concerned, but a serious and mostly respected publication like Motor Sport shouldn't try to be sensational in this way, language like that is hardly appropriate in something aimed at grown-up followers of motor sport.

I won't join John Aston in his complaint about promos for hugely expensive car auctions, but it was fair criticism. Just where is the magazine trying to take its readership?

#896 Thundersports

Thundersports

• 568 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 22:39

I'd love to say what i'd really like to see in the Magazine but at present I really can't be bothered with it or much else.

Edited by Thundersports, 01 August 2019 - 22:40.

#897 10kDA

10kDA

• 89 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 13:20

... The first lines of the article inside are worse. "The Zerex Special is probably the most important and influential car you've never heard of".

Seems to me that whenever current journalism types use this kind of phrase what they really mean is "...We've never heard of." You would think their employers have no archives.

#898 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 552 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:24

What happened to Dickie Meaden? His columns were outspoken and perhaps too truthful about current historic racing but I miss them.   As for the dreadful Jennie Gow, perhaps she should work for "Hello", it really is dreadful.

There are many types of motorsport, speed events, club racing, historic road events, targa rallies which are affordable and have large number of competitors who might but MS if it covered those events rather than the big spenders.

#899 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,741 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 23:26

Motor Sport really blew it big time this month. They have a big feature article on the Cooper Zerex Special of Roger Penske and go on and on about the car being restored and a wonder to behold. Complete horse manure. They apparently did no fact checking whatsoever. The car that they go ga-ga over is a replica through and through! The real Zerex Special is in Venezuela and has been for decades. It is in decrepit condition. The builders of the car in MS do not have the real car or any part of it. They apparently suckered MS in big time, and to me that is very disappointing. I had always considered MS to be an accurate publication, but printing this bull is simply unforgivable.

Tom

Advertisement

#900 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,129 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 00:51

Motor Sport really blew it big time this month. They have a big feature article on the Cooper Zerex Special of Roger Penske and go on and on about the car being restored and a wonder to behold. Complete horse manure. They apparently did no fact checking whatsoever. The car that they go ga-ga over is a replica through and through! The real Zerex Special is in Venezuela and has been for decades. It is in decrepit condition. The builders of the car in MS do not have the real car or any part of it. They apparently suckered MS in big time, and to me that is very disappointing. I had always considered MS to be an accurate publication, but printing this bull is simply unforgivable.

Tom

Perhaps they should write a retraction and an apology.......and a commitment to proper research in the future.