Photo

Motor Sport magazine - is it as good as it could be?

• Please log in to reply
961 replies to this topic

#951 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,589 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 20:45

Explains Jonesie's pace, doesn't it?

Mailed proof corrections sent on August 15 last - at 17.52 hundred hours pip-emma.  They have a lot on their plate...and centre change (below) evidently passed un-noticed.

"UNDERFLOOR caption - line 2 - delete “sweeping up” and make it “rising from near monocoque-chassis floor level” please

"ENGINE caption - line 5 - first valve size should be “34.5mm” - please delete the rogue ‘9’ presently there…

"GEARBOX drawing caption - “Hewland FG400” please - delete the ‘B’ of ‘FGB’."

However...apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

:rolleyes: 

DCN

Advertisement

#952 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,336 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 21:33

I haven't read much of the October issue but I do hope that the editor suffered no ill effects after "scoffing blackberries" at Brands Hatch. We used to warn visiting marshals not to sample these as the blackberry bushes served as urinals every time a GP circuit meeting was held. Hopefully consumption is less dangerous now that MSV have provided us with portaloos.   

A vintage spectator at the 24th August VSCC meeting was very publicly watering the plants between races, so the practice has not entirely died out.

#953 john aston

john aston

• 1,710 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:54

He had probably drowned his sorrows at being fleeced for 30 quid for entry and programme, more for grandstand  for a sleepy little meeting with a so so entry where the first race started about 3 pm ... I dropped in as I was there for Sun/Mon CSCC duties . I normally have a lot of time for VSCC/MSV events  but this was daylight robbery . I get CSCC free but believe it was 16 quid and free grandstand . 

#954 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,665 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:48

The GP circuit meeting at the weekend  (GT Cup etc) was 16 quid too - and quite a bit cheaper if one got one's act together and booked in advance (or had a mate who was competing...). Pretty good value really compared with many other meetings (eg. basic admission at the recent MotoGP, where on Silverstone's wide open spaces you need good eyesight to discern the evidence of motorbikes on track).

I did not sample (or irrigate) Brand's food crops though... honestly.

(It was interesting to note at the GT Cup meeting that the quickest competitiors in the (hugely well-supported) Mag 7s race would have been mid-grid amongst some half-million Euro Huracans, GT3R and the like.)

Edited by 2F-001, 03 September 2019 - 08:48.

#955 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,350 posts

Posted Today, 12:03

I know this is OT, but to follow up the Zerex special posts, Paul Lawrence in Autosport has now repeated the owner's claims:

https://www.pressrea...282754883396117

#956 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,858 posts

Posted Today, 14:44

Very disappointing. The author of that article can’t even write McLaren correctly. :well:

#957 proviz

proviz

• 549 posts

Posted Today, 15:06

Unbelievable! Who's responsible for subbing that? Answer demanded!

#958 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,350 posts

Posted Today, 15:07

Very disappointing. The author of that article can’t even write McLaren correctly. :well:

That could be due to it being reformatted by pressreader.  Paul Lawrence is better than that.  

#959 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,741 posts

Posted Today, 16:25

It is annoying to see this crap repeated by people who should know better. It has been demonstrated that this car is a replica, and very little, if any, of the original is in it.

Advertisement

#960 D28

D28

• 1,494 posts

Posted Today, 17:19

That could be due to it being reformatted by pressreader.  Paul Lawrence is better than that.  

I was wondering the same. Can someone look at a real print copy and let us know of the spelling issue.

#961 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,336 posts

Posted Today, 19:44

The print version renders McLaren correctly throughout. Buried in the text is the sentence: "Some have questioned the car's authenticity, and prefer to call it a recreation, but would they prefer not to see the machine racing at all?" Which seems a bit of a non sequitur to me.

#962 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,858 posts

Posted Today, 19:57

The print version renders McLaren correctly throughout.

Fair enough. My apologies to Mr Lawrence for attributing the fault to him.