Photo

Motor Sport magazine - is it as good as it could be?

• Please log in to reply
1132 replies to this topic

#1101 Myhinpaa

Myhinpaa

• 85 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 16:54

That all sounds fair enough (aside from the phrase 'a little').
To be honest, it was never entirely clear to me how they could turn a profit (perhaps they didn't...?).

Anyone remember Historic Race & Rally? https://www.hobbydb....oric-race-rally

It was very good and after buying all 6 copies at my newsagent I took out a subscription, it went bankrupt just after....

Starting to have some doubts about Automobilsport now... Better start re-reading my old magazines perhaps.

Advertisement

#1102 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,687 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 17:10

Anyone remember Historic Race & Rally? https://www.hobbydb....oric-race-rally

It was very good and after buying all 6 copies at my newsagent I took out a subscription, it went bankrupt just after....

I think I have all the issues bar one... somewhere; a really good magazine (with input from the late David McKinney too).

#1103 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,431 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 17:20

I gave up when I reached the hyphenated "qua-lity".

We have to wonder what their justification for that was.

This is an underappreciated post.

It was underappreciated by me because I ignored it ! :rolleyes:

Edited by Rob Ryder, 06 October 2019 - 17:29.

#1104 john winfield

john winfield

• 3,068 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 19:32

This is an underappreciated post.

You're right. At first I thought it unjustified

and self-centred.

But now I appreciate its brill-

iance.

I think.

#1105 SGM

SGM

• 27 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:37

Historic Race and Rally was my favourite magazine of all time. I liked the mix of circuit and rally cars and the in-depth detail on the feature cars. It sounds like my tastes are in the minority though as it sunk without a trace! I only have four copies, looks like I should track the first two down.

I suppose MotorSport is trying to be all things to all people these days which is probably fair enough as they are doing what they believe is needed to survive in a world of instant access via the internet. Even with the perceived issues I don't believe they have too many rivals in their field. I bought Octane magazine once. Once was enough, it was woeful.

We had a magazine in Australia called Race which was aimed at motorsport enthusiasts and in particular those that built or modified their own racing cars. The content was great but the grammar and spellchecking were diabolically bad. I don't pretend to be an expert on these subjects, but it drove me mad. For those that think MotorSport's standards are slipping I urge you to read a copy of Race. I guarantee you will have a new appreciation for MotorSport!

I must admit, I don't buy MotorSport anymore because like many overseas magazines, it is just too expensive.

#1106 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 141 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:58

Well if this news is to believed the choice of magazines that we have available to purchase has significantly smaller.

Also we probably will not have this platform around for our enjoyment................

All things must pass

Screenshot-2019-10-07-07.52.46.png

#1107 john winfield

john winfield

• 3,068 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:33

That's sad for all concerned. Just in case others have difficulty reading Samoan's link, here's another, although it might just be my pc. There are some damning comments from Jim Holder, former Autosport Deputy Editor. F1 Racing and 'Motoring News' are also under threat.

https://motorsportbr...ne-publication/

#1108 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 1,725 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:03

In recent years, Autosport has been the only motor sport magazine that I have consistently seen on supermarket shelves. I occasionally bought a copy, usually the end of year season round up. Its absence is more significant than for the loss of news and editorial content which will be continued on the internet. It's the disappearance of a glossy, sometimes exciting, photo of a racing car that worries me.

#1109 pete53

pete53

• 556 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 13:47

The end of Autosport ? (well the print version anyway). How sad, although not so surprising having noticed the magazine becoming smaller and thinner in recent times - a sure sign things were not going well.

Edited by pete53, 07 October 2019 - 13:49.

#1110 LordAston

LordAston

• 177 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 15:45

I know that some on here I will never convert to Automobilsport.  I don't even know why I try and be helpful sometimes.  

#1111 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 141 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 16:36

I know that some on here I will never convert to Automobilsport.  I don't even know why I try and be helpful sometimes.  

I hope that your good work reaps its rewards.......................

jb

#1112 opplock

opplock

• 617 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 18:14

As the print editions of Autosport and Motoring News appear to have been axed is there any UK magazine other than MS covering motor racing?   

#1113 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 426 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 18:15

As the print editions of Autosport and Motoring News appear to have been axed is there any UK magazine other than MS covering motor racing?

Technically, Classic and Sportscar. Just historic meetings, obviously, but...

Edited by Alan Lewis, 07 October 2019 - 18:16.

#1114 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 5,696 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 21:37

O.T a bit, I am pleased I collected a further 15 years each of Autosport and M News last week to add to my archives. It takes all sorts......
Roger Lund

#1115 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 505 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 13:28

Well I've just picked up the latest Automobilsport; articles on European Hill Climb Championship 1957-1959; Carlo Facetti and Veritas RS. No hyperbole; fantastic photos and undoubtedly inspiring text to go with it. At £13.99 it's well worth the value and those three subjects are the stuff with Motorsport seems incapable of thinking about. And all are proof that yes, there are PLENTY of motor sport stories which could do with the type of coverage seen here.

From the editorial it seems that the magazine is going to look at other areas too, and I for one cannot wait. I just need to pace myself reading it because the gaps between issues is just too long!  

#1116 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 108 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 13:45

Well I've just picked up the latest Automobilsport; articles on European Hill Climb Championship 1957-1959; Carlo Facetti and Veritas RS. No hyperbole; fantastic photos and undoubtedly inspiring text to go with it. At £13.99 it's well worth the value and those three subjects are the stuff with Motorsport seems incapable of thinking about. And all are proof that yes, there are PLENTY of motor sport stories which could do with the type of coverage seen here.

From the editorial it seems that the magazine is going to look at other areas too, and I for one cannot wait. I just need to pace myself reading it because the gaps between issues is just too long!  

Up from £7.99 previously, I think.  No it isn't worth it and I won't be buying too many copies in future at that price.  I won't be buying Autosport at the newly announced price of £10.99 either.  So you'd better buy them while you can because I suspect neither will be around much longer at those prices.

#1117 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 505 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 13:55

Up from £7.99 previously, I think.  No it isn't worth it and I won't be buying too many copies in future at that price. 

Subjective: it was already very good value and still is. Yes, if you want modern F1 it's not the magazine for you. But since it's the only game in town, unless something else turns up it has the market cornered.

#1118 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 141 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 14:23

Perhaps £13.99 is not so expensive by today's standards..................Screenshot-2019-10-08-15.20.27.png

#1119 mistakenplane

mistakenplane

• 14 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 14:44

Doesn't help there are large numbers of people who don't want to pay for news, who bemoan the cost of things (no one on here!), complain about paywalls, and then refuse to subscribe for a small cost to fund the journalists who write the stories.

Most of the coverage in Autosport will shift seamlessly to the website, but I do fear for the national racing coverage now. My take on the statement is that they're also trying to flog MN as they have F1 Racing, but hopefully I am incorrect and there will at least be a solid website for national news.

Advertisement

#1120 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,366 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 15:05

Doesn't help there are large numbers of people who don't want to pay for news, who bemoan the cost of things (no one on here!), complain about paywalls, and then refuse to subscribe for a small cost to fund the journalists who write the stories.

This is absolutely on the nose.  Journalism needs to be funded, and advertising just doesn't work as effectively online so it cannot cover the costs of an enterprise like Autosport.  If you want it to survive, you have to put your hand in your pocket and subscribe.  Or accept that it has to die.  One or the other.

#1121 ceesvdelst

ceesvdelst

• 83 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 19:43

Whilst I agree to some extent, journalism has change beyond belief.

I watched a fair few Motorsport interviews on youtube, criminally low viewing figures when you start listening and find the nuggets within, and some truly huge names there too. Advertised better these are great little things to listen to over reading stuff and could generate a return via ads. 

While writing is the core, there are so many more ways to sell your prose, be it verbal, video.

I do feel motorsport publications have been rather left at sea by other areas in this way, not all of them mind you, some do very well.

It is true people don't like paying for online content, I am one of them sadly. I have never been a downloader, I prefer the carbon copy to feel, read, explore. I simply feel paying for stuff digitally is for me not worth it, so am happy to do without.

And let's not forget advertising, done properly can easily offer enough payment to cover wages, maybe not at the same level, but there are also less overheads remember, far less. But if people can make money playing games on youtube, surely a great writer can too in the various ways that can be sold with decent advertising. 

#1122 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 108 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 22:59

This is absolutely on the nose.  Journalism needs to be funded, and advertising just doesn't work as effectively online so it cannot cover the costs of an enterprise like Autosport.  If you want it to survive, you have to put your hand in your pocket and subscribe.  Or accept that it has to die.  One or the other.

I have no idea whether the Autosport.com/Motorsport.com paywall is or will be a successful business model but it is a fact of life that on the Internet it is competing against free so it has to be offering something that makes enough people want to subscribe.  Quite frankly there are more than a few racing journalists who just regurgitate press releases and much of what I have come across on Motorsport Network (and elsewhere, for that matter) is pretty poor quality and I would not personally pay to keep it going.    

I certainly wouldn't pay £10.99 for what Autosport has become although I confess that whilst my collection goes back to issue 1 from August 1950 (not all bought new, I hasten to add!), I stopped adding to it only a few years into the current century.  I like Automobilsport but they've gone for an equally huge increase and I would be surprised if it works out for them because that isn't value to me and I suspect others will feel the same.  

Motorsport, for me, is going in the wrong direction post-Damien Smith's editorship and I let my subscription lapse.  Although as ceesvdelst says above they have some great content on their website, which they don't seem to monetise.

I am willing to pay for quality.  But I also want value and I doubt I'm unique in that.  Whilst I appreciate that's a difficult balance to achieve, that's just how business is.  So subscribe or let die?  Yes but it has to be good enough to enough people enough of the time to be worth subscribing and saving.

#1123 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 505 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:04

Just got to the letters page of Automobilsport #22 (page 28) and was heartened to see that the editorial team are magnanimous enough to admit a number of errors and to publish letters which provide interesting corrections.

Contrast that with the way the whole 'Zerex' issue wasn't dealt with by a magazine we know so well..... 

#1124 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,663 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 14:40

Option C) Print something worth paying for

#1125 Myhinpaa

Myhinpaa

• 85 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:16

MS is looking for a Chief Sub-Editor, is there someone who can make changes in the right direction, and if so, will that someone get the job?

https://www.motorspo...hief-sub-editor

#1126 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 141 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 14:41

MS is looking for a Chief Sub-Editor, is there someone who can make changes in the right direction, and if so, will that someone get the job?

https://www.motorspo...hief-sub-editor

The COO of the Motorsport Network is also recruiting for their IT department - the potential downside is relocating to Yekaterinburg

#1127 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,229 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 16:35

I started purchasing both Autosport and Motor Sport in 1968 when I was a schoolboy, out of my pocket money. It was a lot of money to me at the time, but I felt that it was money well spent and importantly, good value. 

I continued buying both publications, never subscribing though as I was constantly travelling the globe and preferred paying a premium to have them close to the date of publication rather than returning home to a pile of back issues. 

I continued purchasing them beyond my retirement out of a sense of loyalty and nostalgia so in some respects I'm relieved that I will now be down to purchasing one publication a month.

As far as online goes, to me it's the difference between downloading music and owning the LP,cassette or CD. I prefer investing in something tangible, but I suspect that's a generational thing..... 

#1128 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 559 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:22

I must admit to having to look up Motorsport.com to see what they provided. There seems to be dozens of pages but virtually noting about national or club motorsport in the UK.  Or am I missing something?

#1129 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,366 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 13:38

motorsport.com is one of the websites that Motorsport Network bought.  It always looked pretty much as it does now, focused on US motorsport.  

It's nothing to do with Motor Sport magazine, which was too late to buy the domain name and is on https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/

#1130 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,366 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 13:45

motorsport.com is one of the websites that Motorsport Network bought.  It always looked pretty much as it does now, focused on US motorsport.  

It's nothing to do with Motor Sport magazine, which was too late to buy the domain name and is on https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/

It's amusing to go back and look at how motorsport.com started.  It's one of the few sites that predates archive.org, so we can only see it in 1996.  I first started reading their content via Compuserve with my fellow dinosaurs!

https://web.archive....port.com/About/

Edited by Allen Brown, 12 October 2019 - 13:57.

#1131 ceesvdelst

ceesvdelst

• 83 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 15:07

The site is not at all focused on American sport, it is not a site that does everything pretty much.

It is not great, but not bad for what it is. And for now it's free

#1132 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,431 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 17:50

I first started reading their content via Compuserve with my fellow dinosaurs!

How dare you Allen !

I started on CompuServe with Netscape Navigator and my email is still with NTLWorld... and I am only a bit of a kid :lol:   ;)

Edited by Rob Ryder, 12 October 2019 - 17:50.

#1133 D28

D28

• 1,501 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 18:07

Motorsport.com does cover F1, in fact some of the reports are identical to Autosport.com  as as they are both owned by Motorsport Network. I receive their newsletter free for some reason, also a lot of articles and adds free from Motor Sport magazine. So the very similar names are confusing at times. And Motorsport.com do cover a wide range of  racing.