Photo

Motor Sport magazine - is it as good as it could be?

• Please log in to reply
1183 replies to this topic

#1151 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,105 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 15:19

Thank you both,  I'll see if I can find out what's happened to it.

Advertisement

#1152 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,618 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 17:38

It's in neither the Product Review nor the Christmas Gift sections.

#1153 john winfield

john winfield

• 3,233 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 14:17

As Samoan mentions, Autosport is back on the shelves at £3.99. At this hugely reduced price I thought I'd treat myself to a copy.....

Quite enjoying it. A green header to celebrate Lewis Hamilton's sixth world championship, plenty of text, news on the Penske/Indy developments, a Russell Brookes obituary by David Evans, and an excellent double page archive picture of Bjorn Waldegard pressing on in Portugal.

This week's issue also has a 34 page Engineering supplement which, amongst other articles, includes a long feature on Robin Herd. Has a good picture of Robin, clipboard in hand, the high airbox of a 1975 Beta March 751, and an attentive Vittorio Brambilla searching for those extra few tenths.

Oh, and there's some modern stuff too.

#1154 BRG

BRG

• 17,360 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 21:06

Yesterday (27 November 2019), I picked up the January 2020 edition of Motor Sport.  Hopefully, I leafed through it to see if it mentioned the General Election result of 12 December 2019 or whether Brexit had been delivered but it mysteriously didn't.  in fact it had nothing more recent than mid-November.  Why can't these wretched magazines get aligned with the actual date?  They aren't time travellers or Mystic Mags with knowledge of the future.

However,it does have an interesting Lunch with Tommi Makinen article.  And some great photos from Le Mans 1960.

#1155 PCC

PCC

• 861 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 23:47

Why can't these wretched magazines get aligned with the actual date?

I think it has something to do with creating the illusion that we're getting it really early rather than really late.

#1156 proviz

proviz

• 592 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:51

Whatever, it is untruthful and could possibly be challenged in the court of law.

#1157 john aston

john aston

• 1,796 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:00

Don't be daft ! It is a very long standing practice for magazines to try to steal a march on their competitors by carrying a future date . Few , if , any , display the actual date and it's a tad disingenous  to be surprised at an advance date. It's only a bloody magazine.... 

I found this month's mixed - I enjoyed reading about Makinen and Caffi but glazed over in the long list of rivalries - I loathe these bite size factoid lists  . My only enjoyment of that piece was to be reminded of DSJ's silly feud with JYS about the latter's  safety campaign .

#1158 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 565 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:53

I think the only magazine with the "right" date is Gardener's World , they changed some years so that it was relevant as in "what to do now".

#1159 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,063 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:58

Don't be daft ! It is a very long standing practice for magazines to try to steal a march on their competitors by carrying a future date . Few , if , any , display the actual date and it's a tad disingenous  to be surprised at an advance date. It's only a bloody magazine.... 

Today, the printed magazine market has changed as well as shrunk, but in past years I used to write quite a lot for various publications owned by one large publishing firm. I asked an editor friend about magazine dates, the cover date then was just a month ahead of the actual appearance date. He explained that in those days, shop and newsstand sales made up by far the largest part of their circulation, and there were many "casual" purchasers. In the second half of a month, prospective buyers would look at the cover date, and if there were only one or two weeks of that month to go, many picking the magazine from a rack would put it back and go for something that looked "newer", thus by advancing the cover date like this, a lengthier active sales period.  Now that so many of a print magazine's sales are to subscribers, that's really no longer a factor, but it may explain why my copy of Motor Sport that arrived a few days ago, bears the next month but one on the cover.

Advertisement

#1160 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 1,801 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:13

He explained that in those days, shop and newsstand sales made up by far the largest part of their circulation, and there were many "casual" purchasers. In the second half of a month, prospective buyers would look at the cover date, and if there were only one or two weeks of that month to go, many picking the magazine from a rack would put it back and go for something that looked "newer", thus by advancing the cover date like this, a lengthier active sales period. 

Plus the magazine mergers, like when Omelette Ogler took over Scrambled Egg Specials to become Omelette and Scrambled Egg Ogler. Omelette Ogler ran on a monthly cycle (12 issues per year) but Scrambled Egg Specials was published every four weeks (13 issues per year) so to feed the Scrambled Egg Specials subscribers, Omelette and Scrambled Egg Ogler had to produce an extra edition in it's first partial year.

#1161 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 75 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 15:11

I just bought the first three magazines of "Magneto" - a glossy magazine which is published four times per year.

"Magneto" & "Automobilsport" have a fresh approach, a modern size & lay out and offer interesting topics & information.

Plus less ads (no watches…). It does not look good for the old lady "Motor Sport"  ):

I know that I compare a monthly publication with competitors which have more time in order to optimize their product.

Because of historical themes I don`t need the publication immediately - nevermind which month is on the cover.

If this is of major importance for "Motor Sport" they have their priorities wrong.  

#1162 proviz

proviz

• 592 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 16:33

I found this month's mixed - I enjoyed reading about Makinen and Caffi but glazed over in the long list of rivalries - I loathe these bite size factoid lists  . My only enjoyment of that piece was to be reminded of DSJ's silly feud with JYS about the latter's  safety campaign .

Doesn't change the basic truth at all. You don't have to accept a practice just because it's long standing. It's just a question of nobody having bothered to take the business to task about this.

Edited by proviz, 29 November 2019 - 16:39.

#1163 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,757 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 16:37

Kayemod has an explanation that tallies with what I heard many years ago. The advanced date has to do with newsstand sales. Besides what Kayemod mentions, I read where mags were dated a month ahead to guard against a news dealer shipping the 'current' issue back as unsold copies because of the cover date. A bit confusing, I know, but it does make some sense.

Tom

#1164 proviz

proviz

• 592 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 16:46

It only "makes sense" to the publisher. Not to the buyer/subscriber, to the world at large, let alone to the historian. Like you Tom...? It is a blatant lie. Should not be tolerated!

#1165 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,105 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 17:09

Apparently the review of my Lotus 72 documentary will now be in the March issue.

#1166 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 1,801 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 17:38

"Magneto" & "Automobilsport" have a fresh approach, a modern size & lay out and offer interesting topics & information.

A modern size and lay out? Those words mean little.

I'm a tech person who has reassembled a printing press from boxes of unlabelled parts, I've knocked up books for perfect binding, spent time assembling copy on a white box and cleaning resultant plates. I also know how to do it on a computer.

I'm a wee bit of a sceptic too.

As a tech person who has also worked in education, I've learned a bit about comprehension and presentation. I don't know how to place red and green elements side by side on a page, but I know people who can help, maybe advise me how to do it better.

My old mate A would have slaughtered any of her team who placed tiny white text on a grey background, or vice versa. Lots of white space is a comfortable place for many designers but it has been done before many times -- fill the space with bigger text! Twelve point text for Roman or Swiss should be the minimum for body text -- and that includes photo captions. How many readers buy the magazine for its quality white space?

(My old mate A struggled when drawing logo designs which sort of looked BRM-ish but more like something for leftovers of the BUF.)

#1167 BRG

BRG

• 17,360 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 20:18

I think the only magazine with the "right" date is Gardener's World , they changed some years so that it was relevant as in "what to do now".

My other monthly periodical is 'Railway Magazine', the doyen of rail publications.  They changed to right date a few years ago by having a special extra edition one December before issuing the January edition early in January.  I will be picking up the December 2019 edition sometime next week.  

Apparently the review of my Lotus 72 documentary will now be in the March issue.

SO that will be in February 2020 then....

#1168 d j fox

d j fox

• 136 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 16:38

How’s this for annoying?

Just received an envelope from Motor Sport with screaming “URGENT RENEWAL NOTICE” in white on red , and “Your subscription has now expired” in big bold letters across the front.

The accompanying letter starts off with…

RENEW NOW-ONLY 6 MONTHS LEFT…

I am now debating whether these shock tactics will inspire me to actually not renew.

Oh, and another thing. I live outside of Philadelphia…the MS letter is postmarked “Malmo, Sweden” and tells Mr. US Posty that “undeliverable” should be returned to Malmo, and yet at the bottom of the envelope “undeliverable” should be returned to London!

David

#1169 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 11,097 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 17:10

After unsubscribing and sending back a renewal notice marked no longer at this address, I still get renewal letters.

So I fill in the renewal form with fictitious payment details.

They then return the form asking for new payment details.

It's their money they're wasting and I can keep up the tennis match as long as they want.

#1170 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,063 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 17:28

How’s this for annoying?

Just received an envelope from Motor Sport with screaming “URGENT RENEWAL NOTICE” in white on red , and “Your subscription has now expired” in big bold letters across the front.

The accompanying letter starts off with…

RENEW NOW-ONLY 6 MONTHS LEFT…

I received one of those too. I was fairly certain it was wrong as I have a self-renewing quarterly direct debit. I kept meaning to call the MS subs department about it, but I had another email from them two or three days later telling me it had all been a terrible mistake, and to forget all about it. No Swedes were involved as far as I know, both my emails originated from their London office.

#1171 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 75 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 20:55

Sorry d j fox & kayemod but I I can`t stop laughing - history repeats itself.

After endless trouble I skipped my subscription some time ago but received that kind of emergency reminders via post and via mail for ages.

Thanks to kayemod`s support I was able to stop the mails. See #757 (01.03.2019) and #850 (14.05.2019).

In parallel letters arrived in increasing quantities. Highlight was a telephone call from MotorSport in order to ask/to beg for my renewal.

The same dept. which very kindly offered to cancel my subscription because they were not able to deliver the magazines in due time.

I herewith repeat my bet: MotorSport will not see its 100th birthday.   

#1172 john aston

john aston

• 1,796 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:59

I for one hope it does see its centenary . and let's not wish it into extinction. I don't doubt the subs issues irritate, but that isn't relevant to most people (I've always got  mine on time for decades)  and the key concern needs to be about content . Good in parts - but the market stuff is dire (and done so much better elsewhere ) and too much of the text is bite size factoids . I want a,meaty  read from them , and also some refocus on ancient and modern national motorsport.     

#1173 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 75 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:38

Fog in Channel - Continent cut off...

In order to have the privilege to discuss the quality of content I need to receive the product first of all.

In 20 years of subscription the magazine hit my mailbox 2 -3 weeks after the publication date, sent via Belgium/Sweden etc.

Unfortunately I live in Germany, sooner or later my passion for Motor Sport went into extinction.  

#1174 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 616 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 19:57

Well I like the F1 write-up, I like Mark Hughes. There are other contributors from time to time that entertain me, and having been a reader for over 60 years I'm reluctant to stop.
However, I don't need paper, I'm quite happy with reading on the internet, so I have just renewed digital-only with Archive.
Let's see how we get on.

#1175 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,380 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 15:20

Quickly browsing the latest issue at Heathrow T2 last week, the caption of the last picture related to the rivalry Nivola-Varzi, the picture showing Tazio apparently crowned as a winner, fails to recognize Varzi in the same picture (second or third from left, IIRC).

#1176 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,618 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 12:58

Mine arrived this morning, resulting in a severe delay to my bookshelf varnishing project. Have read several items, all of them brilliant (Mark Hughes, Doug Nye, Racing Lives, Lunch With and Letters).

The Racing Lives and Lunch With ideas could easily misfire, but Motor Sport repeatedly makes them excellent. Quite staggered by the candour of the Thackwells, brother and sister. Also intrigued by Tim Harvey's insights, although disappointed he didn't mention his greatest triumph was beating me in a hire kart event. And how often do you open a magazine to see a letter from Peter Wright? Yes, that Peter Wright.

Each month, Motor Sport's arrival acts like an injection of enthusiasm. Long may it continue.

#1177 1969BOAC500

1969BOAC500

• 23 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 15:51

I thought the current issue has recovered some form.....some enjoyable articles ;  the Aston Project Cars, lunch with Tim  Harvey and Doug Nye's Lotus 78 story. I too found the short Thackwell article a bracing read - I followed MT's career quite closely in the early 80s.

Maybe I'm biased about the Feb 2020 issue, though - my everyday car for several years was a Verona Red 2002tii...... :|

#1178 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,380 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 17:59

All right guys, now I am curious and going to get it... :)

#1179 john aston

john aston

• 1,796 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 18:26

All it lacks - for the 5th month running - is review of my book . Grr- it even has a foreword by one S Arron and was targetted at exactly the sort of people who buy Motor Sport... 

Advertisement

#1180 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,460 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 18:43

All it lacks - for the 5th month running - is review of my book

Have you written a book John  :confused:  :confused:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#1181 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 5,743 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 21:52

All it lacks -...... and was targetted at exactly the sort of people who buy Motor Sport..

And who might they be, John?. This place seems to have spent much of the last 20 years deliberating just what sort of people the Magazine saw as its target readership, seemingly a moveable feast.
Roger Lund, about to start his 61st year as a Motor Sport reader.

#1182 john aston

john aston

• 1,796 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 07:56

People like you and me ? Folk who are interested in more than F1 , enjoy the history of the sport and don't have the attention span of an ant ? And who perhaps enjoy perving over adverts for cars they will never , and could never buy ? ,

#1183 opplock

opplock

• 632 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:03

The sort of folk who frequent TNF and have already bought and thoroughly enjoyed your book despite the lack of an MS review?

#1184 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,063 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:13

All it lacks - for the 5th month running - is review of my book . Grr- it even has a foreword by one S Arron and was targetted at exactly the sort of people who buy Motor Sport... 

"The sort of people who buy Motor Sport?"

You missed that targett (sic!) though, by not including at least one chapter on expensive watches.