• 31,448 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:08

Part II right this way.

Advertisement

#2 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:10

Ricciardo can only get more frustrated. He was nowhere near Verstappen in the race today, and he can't even claim it was because he focused too much on qualifying.

#3 Xentas

Xentas

• 815 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:10

Good to See Max "Attack" doing what i expected him to do once again. This time all that talk of Daniel beating Max in qualifying has been stopped, Max comprehensively beat Daniel this race and qualifying. Hopefully he can do it again.

#4 MaximumSpeed

MaximumSpeed

• 277 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:13

Anyone saw how slow Max stop was?

#5 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,448 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:14

Ricciardo can only get more frustrated. He was nowhere near Verstappen in the race today, and he can't even claim it was because he focused too much on qualifying.

Verstappen did get the "free" pitstop under VSC, however. Ricciardo pitted a lap earlier and lost around eight seconds if I recall.

#6 Freeze011

Freeze011

• 1,349 posts

Maybe a second slower, not a big issue

#7 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Again, were are people pulling these numbers from? If you take away the free pit stop time, the gap at the end was 5-7 seconds. And thats assuming that Daniel was pushing flat out, which I don't think he was considering his pace on the very last lap.

#8 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,533 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:15

He did lose a lot of time pitting under green when Max pitted under VSC.

#9 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Anyone saw how slow Max stop was?

Yeah, he lost at least a second to Rosberg. It looked like they were pulling some debris out of the RH brake duct.

#10 Asterion

Asterion

• 822 posts

Max is the real deal.  :up:

#11 MaximumSpeed

MaximumSpeed

• 277 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:16

Maybe a second slower, not a big issue

For the record. Keeping the excuses equal

#12 MaximumSpeed

MaximumSpeed

• 277 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:18

Again, were are people pulling these numbers from? If you take away the free pit stop time, the gap at the end was 5-7 seconds. And thats assuming that Daniel was pushing flat out, which I don't think he was considering his pace on the very last lap.

Max was fighting with ROS and still gaining time on a free air RIC...

Edited by MaximumSpeed, 10 July 2016 - 14:18.

#13 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:19

Beautiful drive from Max, he's really keeping the momentum going. :up:

#14 rfamans

rfamans

• 266 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:19

Verstappen did get the "free" pitstop under VSC, however. Ricciardo pitted a lap earlier and lost around eight seconds if I recall.

Yeah that was RIC's penalty for the gamble  to benefit from the undercut advantage. 

#15 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:20

Yeah, he lost at least a second to Rosberg. It looked like they were pulling some debris out of the RH brake duct.

They had to wait for two other cars to pass.

#16 HoneybearA

HoneybearA

• 652 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:20

I assume it wouldn't feel nice losing out to your teammate. But I guess it is sort of inevitable? I'm not a pro I could be wrong here, but I think he'll pull through  ;)

#17 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:23

Yeah that was RIC's penalty for the gamble  to benefit from the undercut advantage. 

So you should hesitate on a pit stop expecting a VSC despite no evidence you should  :drunk:

#18 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:25

Not sure it was a penalty for anyone that pitted the lap before, as the timing was good (with regard to lap time gain on the slicks) but those who hadn't yet stopped got a bit of a bonus (and the timing was ideal as they probably would've all stopped on that lap anyway) .

Edited by mistareno, 10 July 2016 - 14:26.

#19 HoneybearA

HoneybearA

• 652 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:25

What advantage are you talking about? The one put him behind Perez :confused:

Advertisement

#20 doneladio

doneladio

• 26 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:26

Can i state how poor i think a driver performed? I tried but my post was edited

#21 Pits

Pits

• 1,060 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:27

Driver of the day again for Max? :smoking:

#22 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:27

They had to wait for two other cars to pass.

No, there was a mechanic on the front Right corner doing something. It could've been a wing adjustment, but I didn't see anyone on the Left.

#23 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:29

Driver of the day again for Max? :smoking:

He probably deserves it, just for overtaking Britney around the outside, but it's a fan voted thing, so I'd be surprised if it's not Lewis...

#24 danstheman

danstheman

• 608 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:29

What does the ban on radio communications mean for something like the situation Dan was in today? Is the team allowed to give Dan a laptime delta to drive to in order to ensure that he could make the tyres last to the finish without pitting again? Or can the team just say "we need to last to the end" and it is up to the drivers to decide how much to push?

I think Dan tends to err on the side of caution when it comes to that. Perhaps with his recent tyre troubles he thought it would have been a better idea to maintain a steady pace rather than push the tyres too much. Although in saying that, he had quite a gap to P5 and he could have pushed the tyres and still pitted to stay ahead if needed

Edited by danstheman, 10 July 2016 - 14:31.

#25 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:31

What does the ban on radio communications mean for something like the situation Dan was in today? Is the team allowed to give Dan a laptime delta to drive to in order to ensure that he could make the tyres last to the finish without pitting again? Or is it up to the drivers to decide how much to push?

I think Dan tends to err on the side of caution when it comes to that. Perhaps with his recent tyre troubles he thought it would have been a better idea to maintain a steady pace rather than push the tyres too much. Although in saying that, he had quite a gap to P5 and he could have pushed the tyres and still pitted to stay ahead if needed

Pit board can give a + or - in relation to a delta.

I don't think he erred too much on the side of caution, as his pace was actually pretty solid once he got past Perez, but he was in no mans land by then with not much to race for.

Edited by mistareno, 10 July 2016 - 14:33.

#26 danstheman

danstheman

• 608 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:35

Pit board can give a + or - in relation to a delta.

I don't think he erred too much on the side of caution, as his pace was pretty good once he got past Perez, but he was in no mans land by then.

True, I think that really defined his race. By closing the gap you're likely to ruin your tyres and need to pit again anyway and lose any time you have gained

#27 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:36

He lost about 4 seconds

#28 Forza33

Forza33

• 11 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:38

Sure VSC cost Ric time, but then again Max loses time in his first pit, because of a late call for his second stop, plus he had two scenic routes (yeah Ric did better in that respect, but still it's time loss for Max), so the pure pace gap really is quite significant and definitelly more than 5-7 seconds which you're trying to make it look here.

#29 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:39

He lost about 4 seconds

Did Red Bull tweet what caused the delay (wing adjustment, debris or otherwise)?

Edited by mistareno, 10 July 2016 - 14:40.

#30 Waggy

Waggy

• 711 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:41

I'm becoming a bit of a fanboy of Max :blush:

What do you guys think happens for the rest of the season? I predict Danny will recover and will be a sesaw battle.

Excited to see how Ricciardo responds........

#31 HoneybearA

HoneybearA

• 652 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:41

I do think RB should sort out their pit stops though. Problem or not, they are just too bloody slow compare to others. If I remember correctly Dan's stop was around 2s slower than Perez's when they pitted together. And that was suppose to be a normal stop which they didn't make any mistakes.

Edited by HoneybearA, 10 July 2016 - 15:00.

#32 F1Lurker

F1Lurker

• 1,666 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:43

I am posting to eat humble pie and atone for disparaging Max's abilities  :yawnface: . He has consistently proven himself to be the better Red Bull driver. At this rate Daniel will become another Mark Webber--which is ironic as they are both Aussies.

#33 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:44

I do think RB should sort out their pit stops though. Problem or not, they are just too bloody slow compare to others. If I remember correctly Dan's stop was around 2s slower than Perez's when they pitted together. And that was suppose to be a normal stop which they didn't make any mistakes.

I though Perez pitted under the VSC?

Edit: Yeah, Perez pitted under VSC which allowed the leap frog.

Edited by mistareno, 10 July 2016 - 14:48.

#34 mwf1

mwf1

• 1,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:45

Did you see his interview he lost 10 seconds through no fault of his own or the teams just pure badluck because of VSC so all he had was to race for was as he said a boring 4th, Max drove a great race but no one can take anything away from Ricciardos race that would be spiteful.

#35 rfamans

rfamans

• 266 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:46

What advantage are you talking about? The one put him behind Perez :confused:

Perez should have been an easy overtake for Dan on Inters and Perez still on wets.

#36 zanquis

zanquis

• 5,175 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:47

I free pit stop, but Max had a slow one, so that limits the benefit. Also Max stopped pushing once Nico was gone it seemed until Nico looked in trouble. It is common to see drivers who accepted their result to relax and lose time. Why would they risk if chances for gaining a spot are minimal and losing are huge.

#37 Pauillac

Pauillac

• 123 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:47

I am posting to eat humble pie and atone for disparaging Max's abilities  :yawnface: . He has consistently proven himself to be the better Red Bull driver. At this rate Daniel will become another Mark Webber--which is ironic as they are both Aussies.

No need for man. Ricciardo is a very good driver. We can only be happy with this driver pairing. Where is this going to end?

#38 Xentas

Xentas

• 815 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:48

I'm becoming a bit of a fanboy of Max :blush:

What do you guys think happens for the rest of the season? I predict Danny will recover and will be a sesaw battle.

Excited to see how Ricciardo responds........

Max has only started to find his feet, i wouldn't be surprised if Daniel would not be able to respond to Max by the end of the season.

#39 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:49

Perez should have been an easy overtake for Dan on Inters and Perez still on wets.

Perez was on the same tyre. Perez stopped under the VSC and leapfrogged Ricciardo.

Advertisement

#40 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,223 posts

Did you see his interview he lost 10 seconds through no fault of his own or the teams just pure badluck because of VSC so all he had was to race for was as he said a boring 4th, Max drove a great race but no one can take anything away from Ricciardos race that would be spiteful.

That was a hilarious interview. I don't think Dan seemed too worried about his abilities vs anyone else including Max, seems like he knew he had the pace to keep in relative touch with the leaders but got rolled by the VSC. He basically said he had a boring race and once he lost all that time with the VSC he was just on his own pretty much with no one to try and challenge. Anyone thinking its game over for him is kidding themselves. The gap was not that big today all things considered.

Funny stuff seeing him sarcastically celebrate another 4th place running off with both fists in the air! Funny guy.  :rotfl:

Edited by gowebber, 10 July 2016 - 14:55.

#41 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

I free pit stop, but Max had a slow one, so that limits the benefit. Also Max stopped pushing once Nico was gone it seemed until Nico looked in trouble. It is common to see drivers who accepted their result to relax and lose time. Why would they risk if chances for gaining a spot are minimal and losing are huge.

Daniel also had a slow stop. It was still a huge loss.

He said here over 10 seconds.

#42 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Very surprised that Verstappen is already beating Ricciardo by such a margin. Ricciardo seemed like the real deal back in 2014. Verstappen has talent, but was marginally quicker than Sainz. Perhaps Ricciardo isn't as good as we thought, and 2014 was just a year of high's for him, similar to let's say Massa had in 2008?

If I see how Sainz is performing in the Toro Rosso, one can even say he could be quicker than Ricciardo as well.

#43 Waggy

Waggy

• 711 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:50

Think they both pitted for dry tyres at the same time, and Dan was stuck behind him for a few laps, was worried he wouldnt get passed cos of the top speed advantage of the Force India

Edit, oh you mean before the second stop?

Edited by Waggy, 10 July 2016 - 14:52.

#44 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,623 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:51

No need for man. Ricciardo is a very good driver. We can only be happy with this driver pairing. Where is this going to end?

Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi..

#45 zanquis

zanquis

• 5,175 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:52

Anyway if not for Verstappen being better in these few races, people would have spoken of a great race of Daniel in Austria and England. And his races where by no means bad, he just was a bit less lucky since Russia.

#46 HoneybearA

HoneybearA

• 652 posts

I though Perez pitted under the VSC?

Edit: Yeah, Perez pitted under VSC which allowed the leap frog.

The second pit stop, I thought they went in the same lap? There was definitely a car right ahead of him.

#47 Xentas

Xentas

• 815 posts

Very surprised that Verstappen is already beating Ricciardo by such a margin. Ricciardo seemed like the real deal back in 2014. Verstappen has talent, but was marginally quicker than Sainz. Perhaps Ricciardo isn't as good as we thought, and 2014 was just a year of high's for him, similar to let's say Massa had in 2008?

If I see how Sainz is performing in the Toro Rosso, one can even say he could be quicker than Ricciardo as well.

I thought Jean-Eric was a better choice for RB in 2014 but he was overlooked for Daniel, Jean-Eric showed more speed than Daniel as well.

Edited by Xentas, 10 July 2016 - 14:53.

#48 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:53

I think more likely is just Verstappen is on the road to being the best driver in the sport. Ricciardo's beating of Vettel was genuine and if you look at their relative performances even today I'd still rate Ricciardo the stronger of the pair, but Max is doing absolutely everything right at he moment. 

Daniel is still a very strong driver and he will always be a challenge, but I think its becoming clear that Max is easily his equal at the moment and in some conditions even faster.

#49 MaximumSpeed

MaximumSpeed

• 277 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:53

Marginal? Seriously?

#50 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:54

You just contradicted yourself as it cuts both ways.

Ricciardo had even less need to push as he was hardly going to pull back a 15 second advantage on the front 3 and have any hope of making it to the end of the race on the tyres.

I doubt he would've had the pace to catch and pass Max, but after the VSC he was in his own little race unfortunately