Photo

The Motorsport Quiz

• Please log in to reply
5205 replies to this topic

#5201 john winfield

john winfield

• 3,126 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 20:55

Well done everyone, all solved. I'll explain with notes, sources and Harvard references in a short while.

Advertisement

#5202 john winfield

john winfield

• 3,126 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 21:14

The common theme was, obviously, UK race circuits, past and present.

1.  Croft Original......a sherry, popular in Britain.

2.  Aintree Iron....a mysterious reference in the 1968 Scaffold hit 'Thank U Very Much'

3.  Towers....Malory Towers, Enid Blyton, Malory Towers...Mallory Park?  Oh come on, be reasonable, Tony got it.

4.  Glorious...Goodwood.  A cliché.

5.  Alicia...Silverstone. An actor.

6.  Crystal Palace F.C.  A south London association football club.

7.  Lord Rockingham's XI.....1958, Hoots Mon, loose mooses etc

8.  Vince Snetterton Lewis, who fell foul of the Piranha brothers. Had his head nailed to the floor by Dinsdale. Recovered, now stays at home, threatening the kids..  

9.  Davidstow Cheddar.  The vintage is nice.

10. John Winfield  RIP,  a long-defunct Scottish circuit, near Charterhall and Duns in the Scottish Borders.

Edited by john winfield, 30 September 2019 - 21:14.

#5203 MCS

MCS

• 4,162 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 21:22

Great questions, John - sorry I missed them, dammit.

As for the "Aintree Iron" . . . take a look here: https://www.theguard...3,-1840,00.html

Er...

Edited by MCS, 30 September 2019 - 21:22.

#5204 john winfield

john winfield

• 3,126 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 21:30

Great questions, John - sorry I missed them, dammit.

As for the "Aintree Iron" . . . take a look here: https://www.theguard...3,-1840,00.html

Er...

Yes, plenty of possibilities!

#5205 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,695 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 07:46

I ought to have guessed No.6, since I live there...
For No.8, I was scuppered by knowledge that a 'Vince Lewis' was a noted jazz guitarist (but knew nothing else about him, though I don't think he crossed the Dinsdales!)

That was fun though John!

#5206 john winfield

john winfield

• 3,126 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:56

For No.8, I was scuppered by knowledge that a 'Vince Lewis' was a noted jazz guitarist (but knew nothing else about him, though I don't think he crossed the Dinsdales!)

The hidden benefits of TNF ( and YouTube )!

Thanks, I'd never heard of Vince Lewis the guitarist. I can now understand you being scuppered on this one Tony, but I see that Vince the guitarist played at the Blues Bar in Tring. And as you know, Stirling Moss once lived in the town, and, in August 1955, Stirling finished third in a non-championship F1 race behind  winner Harry Schell, which also happens to be the name of a german jazz bass player. And the race in question was the Redex Trophy at Snetterton. So, given a couple of minutes, you obviously would have cracked this one too......