Vines and Twitter videos?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 20:38

Can we have the functionality to embed Vines and Twitter videos in our posts added to the vBulletin message board software, please?

Advertisement

#2 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 23:45

agree.gif

#3 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 18:08

Any chance of a response to this, Autosport developer people, please?

#4 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 23:42

+1

Did a search on ip.board and this came up

https://invisionpowe...-ipb-twitterer/

#5 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 16:16

It sure would be good to see Vines and twitter videos on here.

They could oh I don't know, leverage customer engagement or some stupid shit like that.

#6 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,247 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 23:11

giphy.gif

Jp

#7 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:20

Quite!

But I shall keep asking from time to time, just in case.

#8 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 18:28

Well, Vines is a dead letter apparently.

#9 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:37

I'm impressed that you won the long game by cleverly waiting out Vines as they were born, grew, peaked and died rather than waste time by doing anything about them or even responding to my questions about them, Website Feedback guys. Well played.

So I guess will just politely ask from time to time if there is news about embedding the twitter videos, until twitter or the internet becomes extinct or I die.

#10 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:30

We usually do a big update of the forum software in one go every few years as the forums have become big and customised enough that we risk breaking things if we make regular small changes.

The last time we did a big update we were able to enable the YouTube embeds fairly easily so hopefully adding Twitter and other formats will be relatively easy during the next upgrade. The timing of that will depend a bit on our development resource and the other projects we've got going on, but it should be sooner than it would otherwise have been now that we've got new owners who have promised a bit more resource for Autosport!

#11 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:13

Thanks, that's good to know. I appreciate you getting back to me on it.

#12 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 16:50

We usually do a big update of the forum software in one go every few years as the forums have become big and customised enough that we risk breaking things if we make regular small changes.

The last time we did a big update we were able to enable the YouTube embeds fairly easily so hopefully adding Twitter and other formats will be relatively easy during the next upgrade. The timing of that will depend a bit on our development resource and the other projects we've got going on, but it should be sooner than it would otherwise have been now that we've got new owners who have promised a bit more resource for Autosport!

Would be nice if we had a little more Kindle compatibility too. And please, please, please don't switch off Classic. The new opening page is truly awful.

Edited by milestone 11, 17 November 2016 - 16:51.

#13 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,481 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 23:15

Grayson :wave:

Has anyone else (i.e. other than me) suggested that "YouTube embeds" are problematic?

Edited by Zmeej, 08 December 2016 - 23:16.

#14 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,803 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:28

Grayson :wave:

Has anyone else (i.e. other than me) suggested that "YouTube embeds" are problematic?

You don't need to use the embed code, Just paste in the URL and the forum software the does embedding for you.

Edited by chdphd, 09 December 2016 - 07:28.

#15 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:42

^^unless you are using the link from the share button/mobile version

#16 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,558 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:30

You don't need to use the embed code, Just paste in the URL and the forum software the does embedding for you.

That's my experience too. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GuOjXYl5ew" without the quote marks is what I pasted below.

#17 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,776 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 15:49

:up:

#18 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,481 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 18:35

The problems I've encountered (across platforms from my ancient PC, to my wife's recent generation iPad) don't involve embedding, but in trying to access a thread in which many videos have been embedded.

Essentially, am asking if there would be a rebellion if the URL link just stayed a URL link and did not embed a video?

#19 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,432 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 19:16

The problems I've encountered (across platforms from my ancient PC, to my wife's recent generation iPad) don't involve embedding, but in trying to access a thread in which many videos have been embedded.

Essentially, am asking if there would be a rebellion if the URL link just stayed a URL link and did not embed a video?

This is AtlasF1!!1 - Naturally there would be a rebellion...

•  
  • If the Youtube videos could be embedded.
  • If the youtube videos could not be embedded.
  • Complaints over why not compatible with Stainless, Maxthon and Konqueror.

:cool:

Advertisement

#20 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,481 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:42

Werra troo. :up: :cool:

#21 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:38

Hello,

How's this going, please? Is there word on when the next update is scheduled?

#22 Gretsch

Gretsch

• 1,397 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 19:58

Since the world is now run through Twitter, I'd say that update might be given a bit more attention :)

It' s just a few lines of code, at worst.

Edited by Gretsch, 27 February 2017 - 19:58.

#23 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,432 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 20:08

Twitter is a losing business, they can not monetize what they sell. No need to spend resources on a twitter video upgrade, there are better places to spend development time.

:cool:

#24 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 17:39

Grayson, any chance of an update on this? It's a shame with F1 drivers and teams and the official website putting stuff on twitter for sharing that we cannot easily share here. In this post to make it work, I tracked down other hostings of the gifs because I can't link them from twitter directly which seems nuts.

#25 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:09

Hello,

How is this going, please? I still would like to see video embedding so as to be able to share here the content that f1.com, the teams and broadcasters are creating.

#26 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 17:15

Now that Grayson has deserted, there's no one on the helm it appears.

#27 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:29

Hi Autosport, I first asked about this three years ago, the last update about it was over two years ago. In that time, more teams and F1.com have become ever slicker at creating interesting and engaging content for sharing on twitter, and it remains frustrating not to be able to easily discuss said tweets or twitter videos without directing people away from autosport.com or resorting to  ugly time consuming workarounds.

Is there any chance of some feedback on this?

#28 Danyy

Danyy

• 3,066 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 14:39

Hi Autosport, I first asked about this three years ago, the last update about it was over two years ago. In that time, more teams and F1.com have become ever slicker at creating interesting and engaging content for sharing on twitter, and it remains frustrating not to be able to easily discuss said tweets or twitter videos without directing people away from autosport.com or resorting to ugly time consuming workarounds.

Is there any chance of some feedback on this?

36hm69.jpg

Edited by Danyy, 25 July 2019 - 14:43.

#29 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:30

Hey, gentle persistence paid off in the end for Andy Dufresne and his library!

#30 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:41

I hear from a dicky bird that all of Autosport's web developers were last seen gathering in Zihuatanejo looking for the big W, little did they know, they were in the wrong place.

#31 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 17:47

I thought Autosport's web developers were still in Junior School going by their performance and output... :p

Edited by Rob Ryder, 26 July 2019 - 17:47.

#32 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,558 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 21:37

What's the fascination with twitter that it needs to be an integral part of this board? I've read from forum member's on this board long before the twitter universe catches wind. It's as if twitter gives a forum post more credit ability. 

#33 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:48

What's the fascination with twitter that it needs to be an integral part of this board? I've read from forum member's on this board long before the twitter universe catches wind. It's as if twitter gives a forum post more credit ability. 

Most of the news/contents are first on twitter before they go up on youtube or websites. 

#34 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 15:50

I PM'd Grayson a year ago and asked about embedding Streamable videos. I suppose it's something similar.

Not sure how relevant this thread is https://invisioncomm...06-embed-media/

#35 Brackets

Brackets

• 5,392 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 14:20

What's the fascination with twitter that it needs to be an integral part of this board? 

How anyone can ask this after the Rich Energy Saga is beyond me.

#36 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 18:36

Hi Autosport,

Please make it so we can post twitter updates to the board directly. Your staff use twitter to relay updates to the fans so you obviously think it has value. Please allow us to discuss news without people having to open twitter to see what has happened or else spend a lot of time messing about trying to tidy up the garbage that copy and paste generates.

Well, nice talking to you, chat again in another six months or so.