Photo

Ignore preferences

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ijsman

Ijsman

• 1,070 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 15:20

When you put in the settings that you ignore someones posts, and you go to a thread and they posted there, you still see that they have posted and you're presented to option to view the post anyway. I can understand why this is, but I'd like to see the option in the settings that you can turn that off too, so when you view a thread the person you ignore posted in, that you don't even see that he posted anymore. 

I'd like this to be changed because it messes up the pages, and because you it still makes you think of that poster. So I really hope this option can be added. 

Thanks!

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 17:43

It does appear to be possible to do. However, it's not something which can be offered as an on/off option which can be controlled by members - it can only be controlled at admin level - so if we implemented it, it would apply to all users across the board and you would no longer have the option of viewing ignored posts without removing the poster from your ignore list.

So unless there is massive demand for it, I'm afraid it won't happen!

#3 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 18:35

When you put in the settings that you ignore someones posts, and you go to a thread and they posted there, you still see that they have posted and you're presented to option to view the post anyway.

I have to try this out, this sounds confusing  :D

Edit: For those who - like me (don't worry Ijsman, I removed you again  ;) ) - never ignored a user: this is how it looks like

Looks pretty optimal to me, though it's probably then tempting to view these posts anyway, which isn't really ignoring the user all together....

Edited by Marklar, 29 September 2016 - 18:42.

#4 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 18:49

A possibly relevant discussion from a couple of years ago on this same subject, with poll: http://forums.autosp...re#entry6431404

#5 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 18:58

A possibly relevant discussion from a couple of years ago on this same subject, with poll: http://forums.autosp...re#entry6431404

Everyone agreed to disagree in that poll? :lol:

I have never used the 'ignore' feature.  Quite honestly I don't see the point of it.  If you feel someone always talks twaddle it's simple to scroll past their posts.  If you hide the posts surely it makes the logic of a thread hard to follow as you may not know what people are referring to.

:up:

#6 Ijsman

Ijsman

• 1,070 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 19:42

In response to what Marklar quoted that D-type said: the people I ignore don't apply logic anyway, so I rather miss the part of the 'thread story line' and just see the posts in which logic was used. :)  But I digress.

The poll in the thread that SophieB linked supports my suggestion to make it an option to really not see the ignored peoples' posts. So then, people can choose if they want it or not.

But maybe it is too much of a hassle to program that option into this forum.

#7 HP

HP

• 19,632 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 23:32

If you can program in JavaScript you can do that to some extent for yourself.

Use Greasemonkey for Firefox https://addons.mozil...n/greasemonkey/

or use Tampermonkey for Chrome https://chrome.googl...ejmpbldmpobfkfo

The script snipet basically would search for username(s) on any given page (Edit: on this website's forum), after that find the relevant post id and hide the entire post. (Edit: need to this repeatedly until finding all posts of said user:

So alternatively it might be even better to go through all posts on a page, find the username of the post and if it's one in a user list you want to hide, hide the post.

)

However, the pagination is still done by the the forum. The entire page including the posts you don't want to see are still sent to your browser.

Edited by HP, 29 September 2016 - 23:38.

#8 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,452 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 23:54

ljsman :wave:

Hope the following helps in providing background as to why someone would prefer to have the "View Anyway" option.

There are some folks on my Ignore List whose posts I am never tempted to look at (a minority), and others whose posts do tempt me. Lately, the latter has proven to a be an irritant to those off whose posts I "lift the veil," which is a bonus... :p ... although many of my "liftings" are not intended to be irritating.

More broadly, prefer having the option to view the posts of the "Ignored," because

- many of my initial decisions to Ignore someone were made in the heat of the moment, which passes, and thus I remove them from the list; and/or

- some of these people eventually calm down and/or I cease to find them irritating (this also happens often), and so I remove them from the list; or

- some of these people neither calm down nor do I cease to find them irritating, but they offer something that drives or distorts the flow of a particular discussion in a fashion that I find myself unable to resist replying to/commenting on, and so I comment/reply but keep them on the list; or

- some of these people get banned or otherwise cease to post actively, and I become retroactively curious as to how their posts fit into a past fabric of a thread, etc. from a more dispassionate perspective, and can indulge my curiosity without feeling a need to respond to the content or style of their posts, and so I remove them from the list; and/or

- some of the directly abovementioned posted information that is interesting and/or important beyond whether or not their manner annoyed me, but their posts do continue to annoy me, so I prefer not to look at them every time a retrospective is conducted; and

- in one instance, this person was banned and despite my curiosity, or non-curiosity on any given day, consider having a banned individual on my IL a badge of honour. :cool:

Edited by Zmeej, 30 September 2016 - 21:30.

#9 Xentas

Xentas

• 815 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 19:19

I can't really see the point in an ignore feature anyway, the forum is a social platform to discuss things, why are people here if they are not going to acknowledge each other in conversation on the forum? It doesn't make much sense. But if there is a person who has wronged you, you should report it to the moderators and left them deal with it.

#10 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,267 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 19:57

Indeed. I have always found it a bizarre feature to have on a forum.