Photo

Formula 1 GP starting grid crowds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:10

I was recently watching a video of the starting grid prior to the 1980 French Grand Prix, and was amazed by the number of people who were milling about on the track.

What were the rules regarding access to the track prior to the start of a Grand Prix in the past? If there were restrictions, it seems like at some tracks they weren't being enforced too well!

Advertisement

#2 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:52

There were no rules about grid access in the past beyond people acquiring the relevant pass to allow them access. In those far more easy-going and less heavily-policed times it was often quite easy to slip onto the grid with a bunch of mechanics or team hangers-on.
I think you have to have an Oscar or a million-selling single to get onto the grid these days

#3 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:34

It is a strange phenomenon access to the grid.

I do think in some sports access to the actual track is a great thing to do.

Obviously in a safe way. After the last BSB race there is usually a controlled invasion that I have been a part of a couple of times, it's great to be on the hallowed ground and the riders love it, you might also get lucky with some clothing freebies!!  Have also done it unofficially at Donington when a guy won a 500 race there.

And at a far lower level at a short oval event a few years back there was a huge race for one of the bigger formula's and they did a great thing, got all the cars competing in that event out on track pre-meeting, with the drivers, letting kids sit in the seat etc, autographing, chatting, great photo opportunity.

It went down brilliantly and everyone talked about it afterwards as a real great aspect of the night, has it been done again?  No. Apathy yet again.

#4 BRG

BRG

• 25,897 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 17:45

Access was pretty easy.  Even I have been on the British GP grid a couple of times, and I have never been in the media or show business or politics.  I got a press pass courtesy of giving a friend who worked for the BBC World Service a lift to the track.

But as I am a genuine enthusiast, it was better to have me on the grid than some random reality celeb who doesn't give a toss about the sport.