Photo
- - - - -

2016 Brazilian Grand Prix build up: another title decider?

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#1 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 15:07

Season final or not, the Autódromo José Carlos Pace was the venue for most of the memorable title decisions in the last decade: Be it Alonso winning both of his titles, most memorably his 2nd title in Schumachers final Ferrari race, Raikkonen overcoming the biggest gap in F1 history to win his (so far) only WDC, or Hamilton winning his first title literally in the last corner, Button won his only title with one race to spare in a race dictated by an chaotic and rainy qualifying, Vettel's recovery drive to beat Alonso to the title was most likely among the best races in modern F1.

Now this year Nico Rosberg has his 2nd chance to secure his first title before the season final and this time it is in his own hands. If he wins the Brazilian GP for the third year in a row he will become the 33rd F1 world champion and the first new world champion since 2010. To be on pole like last year would be a good first step

The permutations for him to win the title in Interlagos

• Winning
  • 2nd, Hamilton 4th or lower (in this case they would be 25 points apart, however Rosberg would win in any case either on points or on 2nd place countback)
  • 3rd, Hamilton 6th or lower
  • 4th, Hamilton 8th or lower
  • 5th, Hamilton 9th or lower
  • 6th, Hamilton 10th or lower

10 of 19 races - all races where Rosberg finished ahead of Hamilton - this year ended with an result which would give Rosberg the WDC in Interlagos. However, 4 of the other 9 scenarios would not only bring the title fight down to the wire, but with an gap of less than 7 points. For this Hamilton needs to win, while Rosberg to finish 4th or lower (i.e. outscoring by 12 points, other scenarios 2nd/7th, 3rd/9th, 4th/-). In 9 attempts Hamilton is yet to win in his career in Interlagos, besides the new Baku track the only track on the current calendar. This weekends race will be the 44th Brazilian GP - a good or a bad omen?

This is not the only possible decision in the championship for this weekend: Ferrari needs to outscore Red Bull by at least 20 points to stil have a theoretical chance for the runner-up spot in the WCC. After Ricciardo secured P3 in the drivers championship in Mexico it is likely that Red Bull will follow him in Interlagos. In theory Vettel can also secure P4 in the WDC, for that he needs to outscore Raikkonen by 17 and Verstappen by 18 points (most importantly I hope that they wont share the same podium spot again). Anything else should go down to Abu Dhabi, particulary the fight for P4 in the WCC.

circuit-f1-20-brazil.png

(circuit guide from 2015)

Usually the weather does have a big impact in Interlagos. This year it looks uncertain, however rain doesnt seems to be on the cards at all, but this doesnt need to mean anything.

Rodolfo Alves ‏@Rodolfoar07 
#F1 #BrazilGP EARLY WEATHER FORECAST: PM T-Storms and Hot Fri (30C); Drizzle and Cooler Sat (20C); Partly Cloudy and Dry Sun (23C).

This is one of the rare occasions this year where Pirelli didnt nominated softer tyres than in 2015, which made the tyre choice quite predictable

CwP4lsNXEAANXE4.jpg

The starting times for each session: Local (GMT)

Friday, November 11
FP1 - 10:00 (13:00)
FP2 - 14:00 (17:00)

Saturday, November 12
FP3 - 11:00 (14:00)
Q     - 14:00 (17:00)

Sunday, November 13
Race - 14:00 (17:00)

The likely most important question is: Will the championship fight (and its possible conclusion) be the main talking point after the race or once again some other 'controversity' in the race? I'm not quite sure.....

Advertisement

#2 markelov74

markelov74

• 3,080 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 15:14

Why did they bring hards here😐

#3 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 5,002 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 15:14

The likely most important question is: Will the championship fight (and its possible conclusion) be the main talking point after the race or once again some other 'controversity' in the race? I'm not quite sure.....

Well there certainly won't be any issues with track limits on the 1st lap....lol

#4 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 15:15

Of course we have 'another' major talking point coming up in this race weekend.

Vettel's radio.

Who are the poor souls, who get sent to dark places this weekend?

Which drivers get their blue flags a millisecond too late after appearing in Vettel's sight?

We are eagerly waiting to hear some juicy comments - the key excitement of modern Grand Prix racing!

:p

---

As for the title fight.

There is some pondering. Should Rosberg settle for two second places and thus seal the title... or go for the win?

I think he should go for the win in Brazil, because that would settle the title and he would have nothing to worry about in Abu Dhabi. So that even if in USA and Mexico Rosberg might have taken things slightly cautiously, we could see him going all out this time around. Historically it has been a good circuit for him as well.  Looking forward to a great battle at the front, but if it rains, all bets are off. :)

#5 Dr. Austin

Dr. Austin

• 3,293 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 15:33

Man, he was flat through the downhill sweeper before the final tight left hander (11 according to the map). I've never seen anyone do that.

#6 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,683 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 15:37

Man, he was flat through the downhill sweeper before the final tight left hander (11 according to the map). I've never seen anyone do that.

Turn 11 is a flat 5th gear corner

#7 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,748 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 15:40

Except that he wasn't flat there.

He lifted at the entry.

#8 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,292 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 15:42

Let it rain...

#9 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,821 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 15:49

"Raikkonen overcoming the biggest gap in F1 history to win his (so far) only WDC"

I like when you said "so far". 😁🙋

#10 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 16:03

I think someone should start a poll for us to guess how Nico will fudge it this weekend.  ;)

I can sense a twist in the tail coming in the last two races and most probably at Interlagos.

#11 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 16:06

I think someone should start a poll for us to guess how Nico will fudge it this weekend.  ;)

I can sense a twist in the tail coming in the last two races and most probably at Interlagos.

I can stil start a poll on this thread if you want to  :p

"Raikkonen overcoming the biggest gap in F1 history to win his (so far) only WDC"

I like when you said "so far".

Based on the poll in the other thread I figured out that I should be careful  :D

#12 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 16:31

I hope Rosberg is able to perform yet another glorious display of racecraft, just like all his others :)

#13 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 16:52

Rosberg won't win the title in Brazil, it will go down to the final race at Abu Dhabi

The reason why-Since 2008, in every even numbered year the championship has been won at the final race and every odd numbered year it's not. 2016 is an even numbered year, therefore the championship will be won at Abu Dhabi. 

#14 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 16:54

Rosberg won't win the title in Brazil, it will go down to the final race at Abu Dhabi

The reason why-Since 2008, in every even numbered year the championship has been won at the final race and every odd numbered year it's not. 2016 is an even numbered year, therefore the championship will be won at Abu Dhabi. 

Stats are a bit meaningless this year though

#15 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 17:02

Stats are a bit meaningless this year though

office-stat-statistic-meaningless_statis

#16 Dr. Austin

Dr. Austin

• 3,293 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 17:11

Turn 11 is a flat 5th gear corner

At least a few years back they were working the throttle there.

#17 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 17:11

Hoping for some 2012 type weather.

#18 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 17:15

Well, one thing is certain. Either Rosberg is going to win the championship at Interlagos, or he isn't.

:lol:

#19 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 17:17

Well, one thing is certain. Either Rosberg is going to win the championship at Interlagos, or he isn't.

Or he's gonna win the WDC in Abu Dhabi, which is what I think is going to happen

Advertisement

#20 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 17:18

You can take that to the bank.

#21 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 17:28

I'd much rather see the WDC decided in Brazil with its great crowd and F1 history than at Abu Dhabi of all places. :up:

That would mean Rosberg wins the title, which I also think would be nice.

If we can end this Mercedes dominated era with two titles for Hamilton and one for Rosberg I think that'd be quite reasonable.

#22 P123

P123

• 23,963 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 17:49

If we can end this Mercedes dominated era

Who says it's ending?  ;)

#23 Dr. Austin

Dr. Austin

• 3,293 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 17:52

Or he's gonna win the WDC in Abu Dhabi, which is what I think is going to happen

That's two things.  :stoned:

I hope he goes from pole to checkered and simply puts it away so there is no doubt and no controversy. I want to feel good about F1 and about how the title was decided going into the winter.

#24 Dr. Austin

Dr. Austin

• 3,293 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 17:53

Next year might be even worse. The teams with the most resources will figure it out first. Hard to imagine any team has more resources than Mercedes.

Of course, Newey could very well be the wild card in the deck.

#25 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 17:55

That's two things. :stoned:

I hope he goes from pole to checkered and simply puts it away so there is no doubt and no controversy. I want to feel good about F1 and about how the title was decided going into the winter.

What are you fearing is going to happen in Abu Dhabi if the title is going to be decided there? :D

#26 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 17:58

I have the feeling Mercedes dropped development and has to limit the aggressive engine modes since Malaysia. RB and/or Ferrari could well spring a surprise in qualifying.

Laptimes at Interlagos tend to be quite close since its a short track and mistakes are easily made. Wouldnt be surprised if Hamilton and/or Rosberg has to start from row 2.

#27 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 18:11

Can't see it slipping away from rosberg now so just hoping for an exciting race. It's been a bit dull here since 2012.

#28 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 18:22

As for the title fight.

There is some pondering. Should Rosberg settle for two second places and thus seal the title... or go for the win?

I think he should go for the win in Brazil, because that would settle the title and he would have nothing to worry about in Abu Dhabi. So that even if in USA and Mexico Rosberg might have taken things slightly cautiously, we could see him going all out this time around. Historically it has been a good circuit for him as well.  Looking forward to a great battle at the front, but if it rains, all bets are off. :)

I don't really see why it's an either/or situation.

Nico is not going to settle for 2nd in quali - although I guess you could argue he might drive slightly within himself on his banker lap to ensure P2 on the grid at worst.

And he is going to try to get to the first corner in the lead whether he starts 2nd or 1st.

To me it's more a case of if things don't fall into place for him he is likely to settle for 2nd rather than take big risks for first - but obviously he is not going to go for second from the get go, pole and lead into first corner is safer for a start.

#29 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 18:23

I see what you're saying, and it might have been clumsily written, but I wrote 'Mercedes dominated era' instead of 'era of Mercedes domination' because I was primarily thinking of the regulations that have defined the 2014-2016 seasons, many of which will significantly change in 2017.

I fully expect Mercedes to be right there at the top next season, but hopefully they'll be joined by one or two other teams. :up:

#30 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,552 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 18:34

My question is how long ago were we supposed to be getting a new pit complex on the back straight?

#31 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 18:37

My question is how long ago were we supposed to be getting a new pit complex on the back straight?

Didnt they built for last years race something half-finished there?

#32 P123

P123

• 23,963 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 18:37

Bernie, is that you? :)

#33 zanquis

zanquis

• 5,175 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 21:05

I just see it as a tennis match, Rosberg had like 4 matchpoints and Lewis just keeps scoring points.

#34 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 21:51

I just see it as a tennis match, Rosberg had like 4 matchpoints and Lewis just keeps scoring points.

But Nico doesn't have to win a point against Lewis to win the match...

#35 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,552 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 21:52

Didnt they built for last years race something half-finished there?

Bernie, is that you? :)

I have a minor obsession with circuit changes, whether for good or bad. Something as major as moving the pits is something I take interest in.

#36 kimister

kimister

• 2,979 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 21:53

I feel Rosberg will wrap up WDC next weekend  :drunk:

#37 LiftAndCoast

LiftAndCoast

• 2,398 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 22:00

They abandoned that plan.

The plan for the new pits has been in the works for several years, but the idea of moving the start/finish to the back straight on the run to Turn 4 has been ditched and they will instead be built in the same location

"There was a previous idea of moving the pit complex to the other side of the circuit, but it was dropped after a more detailed study," a circuit spokesperson told AUTOSPORT.

"It was felt that some of the defining characteristics of the classical layout would be lost."

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/115292

Edited by LiftAndCoast, 06 November 2016 - 22:03.

#38 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 00:08

Rosberg wont win the WDC here he is more likely to suffer a dnf but all he needs to do to prolong hamiltons missery is simply just finish high in the points

#39 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 00:14

Rosberg wont win the WDC here he is more likely to suffer a dnf

This couldnt be further away from the reality

Advertisement

#40 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,871 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 00:21

Early forecasts indicate a wet quali and a dry race. I think wetness will be key to Hamilton's title challenge. He needs it here. I think RBR has the car and drivers to excel in wet conditions and its one area that Hamilton has a measurable advantage over Nico.

#41 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 00:42

But Nico doesn't have to win a point against Lewis to win the match...

At this stage of the season he doesn't. I guess it is more like hockey in the third period ..... you've run up a good lead and now you try to hold it. Of course some might say the best defense is a good offense, go out and win a race and put the game out of reach.

#42 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:29

Early forecasts indicate a wet quali and a dry race. I think wetness will be key to Hamilton's title challenge. He needs it here. I think RBR has the car and drivers to excel in wet conditions and its one area that Hamilton has a measurable advantage over Nico.

But they don't run in the rain anymore so it doesn't matter either way.

I hate both Clinton and Trump, but am infinitely more excited (or scared) to see the outcome of that mess than which of these buffoons wins.

#43 Dr. Austin

Dr. Austin

• 3,293 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:16

What are you fearing is going to happen in Abu Dhabi if the title is going to be decided there? :D

If all Nico needs is second, he'll drive a smooth race and get second. If they are tied or close to tied going in, they will probably tangle. Another possibility is someone else gets up in there and either splits them or takes one of them out. None of those are ways you want to see the championship settled, but it would certainly keep the forum rocking until Australia..

At this point I am pulling for Rosberg, just because he's blown a big lead twice already this year. If he loses the championship, it will be soul crushing. It would also be great top have someone new for a change.

Hamiltion already has three championships. If he loses, he will shrug it off and come back next year.

#44 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:36

If all Nico needs is second, he'll drive a smooth race and get second. If they are tied or close to tied going in, they will probably tangle. Another possibility is someone else gets up in there and either splits them or takes one of them out. None of those are ways you want to see the championship settled, but it would certainly keep the forum rocking until Australia..

At this point I am pulling for Rosberg, just because he's blown a big lead twice already this year. If he loses the championship, it will be soul crushing. It would also be great top have someone new for a change.

Hamiltion already has three championships. If he loses, he will shrug it off and come back next year.

How is that not one of the ways you want to see a championship settled? Lewis winning whilst Nico finishes 4th (assuming no incidents etc) would be a great way for someone to win a title, surely?

#45 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:24

Come on Nico

#46 Garagista

Garagista

• 1,219 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:33

We just want a small river in turn 3 :))

#47 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:43

I just hope we are not treated to another race of both Mercedes drivers driving as slowly as possible but fast enough to keep 1-2 like in Mexico... 

#48 P123

P123

• 23,963 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:54

You'd need a change in regulations for anything different to happen. Besides, Rosberg is in such a favourable position that he has no need to risk his engine by pushing for victory.

#49 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 13:01

But they don't run in the rain anymore so it doesn't matter either way.

I hate both Clinton and Trump, but am infinitely more excited (or scared) to see the outcome of that mess than which of these buffoons wins.

Then why comment on a race thread where a big part of the conversation is going to be the championship standings?

#50 AnR

AnR

• 1,578 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 13:03

Rosberg has already turned down his engine, but it's still enough so that no one can catch him, it will be a Mercedes parade like Mexico