live.autosport.com

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,694 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:48

I would like to know what progress has been made on reinstalling the live.autosport.com chat facility, or even a similar but more modern chat facility so that fans can shoot the shit during races with fellow users of this bulletin board, please.

I really miss it.

Advertisement

#2 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:35

This has been on the backburner, but we should have a review of our whole live offering before the next season as we've now had a full season of the new version of Autosport Live. I'll make sure that the request to bring back some form of live chat is part of this discussion.

There were usually only a few dozen people viewing the old live chat out of the thousands of people on the page, so we'll have to think of something a bit more engaging if we're going to try to bring back a form of live interaction...

#3 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:10

There were usually only a few dozen people viewing the old live chat out of the thousands of people on the page, so we'll have to think of something a bit more engaging if we're going to try to bring back a form of live interaction...

Well those 'few dozen' were usually those heavily engaged in the forums as well. It certainly added to the social experience of the site. 

And also the old live chat was terrible to use on a mobile, which probably explains why many of the viewers of that page did not go into it. 

Edited by Kristian, 17 November 2016 - 11:10.

#4 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,694 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:18

This has been on the backburner, but we should have a review of our whole live offering before the next season as we've now had a full season of the new version of Autosport Live. I'll make sure that the request to bring back some form of live chat is part of this discussion.

Thank you. I suggest it's almost total invisibility on the site contributed to the issue of low use. And the presence of my posts on it, of course.

#5 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:42

I'd like to add my voice to this thread and i support wholeheartedly the points made by Sophie and Kristian. The live chat was difficult to find (in essence you had to know it was there at the bottom of the live feed page) which will doubtless have hampered attendance, but once there it was a unique experience and i can safely say that the loss of the service in recent times has taken a significant aspect of the sports interest away for me (which is another way of saying good chat often made up for a poor GP).

Perhaps making the service as it was more widely known and easily accessible may take it out of the 'used by a few' mindset. In the end GPs are watched by many millions on tv and only attended by a small percentage of that so do we need all those grandstands?

#6 Cacarella

Cacarella

• 1,111 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 15:12

I also enjoyed the service, but had to be told it was there by someone in the forums.  I used the live feature quite often and had never noticed the chat page's existence.

Since it's removal, I haven't used the live service.

Edited by Cacarella, 17 November 2016 - 15:13.

#7 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,694 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 15:32

It's not remotely out of spite, but I never look at the live page now. Just because I need that window of my tablet for talking to fans by non-Autosport means.

#8 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,433 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 16:45

And the presence of my posts on it, of course.

No, no Sophie. You were one of the attractions.

#9 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,433 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 16:48

Must confess that I join Cacarella and Sophie B in no longer following live during the weekend.

#10 mark f1

mark f1

• 4,373 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:08

My two cents as well - I haven't used the live facility since the chat was closed, would be great to have it back, 

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,244 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 23:15

Yeah ...
Time to make LiveChat great again... Obviously.
Jp

#12 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 20:43

The congregation on the irc channel for all sessions of live races shows that there is a desire for such an interactive section - please bring that up in the discussions

#13 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,996 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 20:21

Just to add on this, I never knew there was a live chat before!

#14 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,989 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:49

Coming up to the new season...any move on this?

#15 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,458 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 21:39

I'd also be interested to know. Much better than Twitter for listening in to during the race.

#16 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,989 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 21:49

And perhaps getting the archive back. Wouldn't mind knowing who the hell thought that was a good idea. The closing of Brazil 2008 for instance was almost as dramatic in chat as on track. ISTR there were about 300 posts just saying "Glock!" vel sim.