Photo

Promoto and Motor Race Consultants

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 378 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 15:08

You might remember these names from the 1970s. Both are sometimes retrospectively mistaken for racing teams, while they were in fact companies who provided drivers with a variety of services, most notably taking care of a driver's (usually of the independent/privateer type) entries and overall negociations with race organisers, but also taking care of all the other administrative work related with a venture in racing : insurance, customs, travel, accomodations, ...etc. I think Promoto also were contracted by some promoters who entrusted them with the task of gathering a field for their races, most notably for non-European series such as some of the South American Formula Ford/F2/F3 series or the sportscar races in Angola for instance.

Both Promoto and MRC had a stand at the 1973 Olympia International Racing Car Show, and the official programme gives the following information about them :

Motor Race Consultants are Europe's foremost International Race Management Company with 17 years' combined experience between directors Paul Watson, Peter Gaydon and Barry Bland. The Company represents drivers and teams in F1, F2, F3, F Atlantic and Sportscars. MRC provides a unique world-wide service to the competitor which includes : negociations of race entries and starting money; booking of hotels and travel arrangements; obtaining customs documents; press and public relations; insurance for drivers; and racing equipment financing; taxation and accountancy advice; discounts for hire cars; racewear; travel and private flying. One of the directors is usually present at all major European races to act as clients personal manager.

Why not give MRC a phone or visit us to discuss your plans for 1973. Motor Race Consultants Ltd., 40 Pall Mall, St. James's, London SW1. Tel. 01-930 9546.

Promoto is Europe's largest Promotional and Public Relations Company, that deals exclusively with motor racing. Promoto offers the driver, entrant or sponsor a complete service, which is made up of the following : Promotional and Public Relations Work; a first-class and inexpensive Entry Service; Promotional Films and Photographic Work; Sponsored Drives; a Forward Thinking Management Service; Commercial Relations with the Trade and Sponsorship Negociations. We will be pleased to discuss any matters on our Stand, where, at all times you will find a representative.

No contact information is provided for Promoto which shared its stand with Brian Martin's Martin Racing Developments, so does it mean that Brian Martin had a stake in Promoto ? Roger Heavens was often associated with Promoto, but I'm not sure if he was one of their important clients or one of the creators and/or directors of the company ?

I would also be interested in any additional information on both companies : while I am familiar with Paul Watson and Peter Gaydon, the name Barry Bland is unknown to me - anybody remembers him ? What about Promoto - who were the men behind the company ? Any idea when both companies were formed and folded ? MRC was still around in 1979, having an entry in that year's most excellent Motor Racing Directory by Mike Kettelwell, still with Bland as the man in charge, but Promoto are not listed so I guess it's safe to assume they were no longer around by then.

I have a reasonable early 1970s magazine collection but I have yet to find a feature article on either company - can any of you point me towards one ?

I would also love to have an idea of the prices they charged for their respective services, especially in 1972 and 1973... but I guess that's a long shot ?!

:wave:

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 16:30

Promoto was one of the many projects of motor sport entrepreneur and film maker Brian Kreisky:

Brian Kreisky set up Promoto to rival Motor Race Consultants. In those days individual drivers or teams had to negotiate their own 'start money'. Motor Race Consultants set up by Paul Watson and Peter Gaydon took over this task for a percentage, managers really. They could negotiate start money, book hotels, repatriate injured drivers etc. Very good at it they were too!
Kreisky set up a rival operation, cherry picking the wealthy drivers and promissing the earth. He had very good contacts inside Autosport, so his drivers had exceptional coverage at times
As the notional manager of Jarier its likely he would have collected the start money and any prize money from the organisers immediately after the race because it wasn't unknown for the organisers to head for the hills with the loot before they had to pay up.
One racket in France was to pay everyone with cheques that could only be cashed at the local bank. It didn't open till Monday morning so everyone stayed over an extra night. More money for the local economy!
We were all caught at times, but Motor Race Consultants, Brian Kreisky, and Goodwin Racing Services certainly eased a lot of the hassles.

#3 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 378 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 18:29

Thanks Tim ! I did use the search engine before posting, but it only returned one entry for Promoto, that being an entry list of a race. I probably messed up somewhere I guess :/

#4 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 378 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:48

Incidentally, I just received this morning a copy of the February 1972 BARC News newspaper, in which General Secretary Grahame White in his column White's World reports BARC Competitions Secretary Barry Bland's departure from the club to join Watson & Gaydon's MRC.

#5 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:01

Barry Bland is alive and he has organized the entry for Macau for years but lost the contract this year

#6 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 378 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:42

Thanks a lot Edward, very interesting piece of information.