Photo

Grid penalties, post-race time penalties etc - when did that start ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ray b

ray b

• 2,949 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 16:39

when was the first non disqualify penalty imposed ? and why ? as I remember the race rules in the old days you were just a DQ if the officials thought you broke a rule you got a black flag ending your race mostly for push starts by track workers or leaking oil on the track what else could cause a DQ ? the most famous infraction for a DQ ? I guess a race ban or two was a uncommon but used penalty for ruff driving or outright cheating when did that start to be used ?

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 17:19

At one time British organisers used to give a 1 minute penalty for a jumped start.  I don't remember it ever being applied during the Grand Prix, but it may well have been applied in one of the non-Championship races such as the International Trophy.

#3 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 18:03

Graham Hill was given a 1-minute penalty for a push-start in the 1963 French Grand Prix.

There was also the famous incident in the 1970 1,000km race at Brands Hatch when Pedro Rodriguez was black flagged for overtaking under yellow flags. He ignored it for a few laps but eventually came in, sat impassively while the clerk of the course delivered his lecture, and departed. Sideways.

#4 chr1s

chr1s

• 452 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 18:08

The one minute penalty was standard for a jump start in a Grand Prix, off the top of my head, Mario Andretti got one in Sweden in 1976 and Italy in 1978 along with Villeneuve and  Didier Pironi got one in Canada 1980. I'm sure there are a few more.

#5 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 18:26

The one minute penalty was standard for a jump start in a Grand Prix, off the top of my head, Mario Andretti got one in Sweden in 1976 and Italy in 1978 along with Villeneuve and  Didier Pironi got one in Canada 1980. I'm sure there are a few more.

Last 1-minute jump start penalty I can remember seeing in an archive video was applied to Gerhard Berger, a full decade later in Canada in 1990. In 1993 jump-starts were already stop-and-go penalties (see Prost at Monaco that year).

#6 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,671 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 19:26

Even though they may officially have had penalties, jump starts were generally ignored until about 1995. Then they brought in automatic detection, and several drivers could be penalised at a single race until they realised that they could no longer get away with it!