- - - - -

Recommend me a game

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,783 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 15:17

I am about to jump back into gaming as my 5 year old wants a video system, going to go PS4 so he can grow into it and will also have games for me. 

I am looking for a racing game, qualifications as follows;

- Gameplay is first and foremost, I don't have time for stupidness

- Looking for handling that is somewhat realistic without needing me to go full Adrian Newey to get anywhere

- In saying that, too arcade like and i lose interest very fast

- Not really interested in crazy long career modes or what not to upgrade to better cars

- As a reference point, Gran Tourismo 3 was the last game I seriously played and the need to run for 3 hours to unlock cars etc drove me batty. I enjoyed the handling but the AI drive me nuts\\

Doesn't have to be current, can be a few years old. I saw GT5 for $15 in the local gaming shop, probably a good place to start no? 

Thoughts, feeling, emotions? 

Advertisement

#2 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 21:14

Do you mean GT5, as in Gran Turismo 5? If so, that was a PS3 release and unfortunately the PS4 isn't backwards compatible.

But don't worry about that.

The usual suspects would probably apply if you get a PS4.

Project Cars

Assetto Corsa

DiRT Rally

F1 2016

Trackmania (just for a laugh).

And eventually Gran Turismo 7. :up:

Edited by werks prototype, 01 December 2016 - 21:16.

#3 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:32

Buy a wheel first and foremost. You will not enjoy these games as much without one.

Then either PCARS, Assetto Corsa.

Dirt Rally is very hard and tracks and cars are more limited.

#4 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,420 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:43

'Fisti. Do NOT, I repeat Do NOT go for GT5. If #3 drove you nuts then #5 will remove your hair and break your CAPS LOCK button! It also has no online support anymore, so you will be missing a load of tracks and cars. (Which may be visible, but not selectable in the dealerships.. infuriating!!)
If PS4 does run PS3 titles (which tbh I dont think it does) and you want a GT game, go for GT6 every time! (Think about it.. 24 min of LeMans instead of 24 hours!)

Edit: just seen WP's post, so there's your answer about backwards compatibility.

Assetto Corsa does indeed look good, and as a bonus was a disappointment to Sim enthusiasts!  ;)

;)

Edited by Tony Mandara, 02 December 2016 - 12:55.

#5 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:46

Theres not really a whole lot of options for PS4 atm

Either F1 2016, Project C.A.R.S., Asseto Corsa, or Dirt Rally

Gran Turismo Sport looks good but it won't be out until sometime next year.

#6 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 18:59

Farming Simulator 17 - lot of joy.

#7 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,783 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 15:46

Thanks guys.

Yeah no backwards compatibility which seems preposterous.

Gt6 any good?

In regards to a wheel, I have no way to lock it down as this will be set up in my living room not a dedicated gaming station. But yeah I struggles with the pad badly back in the day.

Any older games any good?

#8 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 18:03

Personally I thought the last two GTs were crap but that's just my opinion.

For non racing games, The Last of Us is worth checking out. It originally came out on PS3 but they remastered it for PS4 a couple years ago. Getting lost in Skyrim and Fallout is pretty fun too.

Edited by MikeV1987, 04 December 2016 - 18:06.

#9 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 2,726 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 15:06

I've enjoyed Project Cars. Not exactly a racing game, but there's Carmageddon.

#10 BMWTeamBigazzi

BMWTeamBigazzi

• 226 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 16:54

Dust off a PS1 and go for TOCA Touring Cars!!! best racing game ever!!

#11 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 2,726 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 20:32

Dust off a PS1 and go for TOCA Touring Cars!!! best racing game ever!!

Dust off the Amiga and go for F1GP, don't think my dad has Revs anymore for his BBC.

#12 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:23

Gt6 any good?

No, and it's PS3 game and it will not work with PS4.

#13 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,783 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:46

At this rate should I just go XBOX and Forza? 

#14 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:16

PS4 you cant run anything older, it will not run old PS3 games.

Main reason why I wont buy one til they are cheap.

Xbox is fine, but you pay for online subs. Depends if you think that's worth the outlay.

Mind you, same on Ps4 now.  And coz everyone does it, it carries on dumbly.

Gamers really are sometimes the stupidest of customers!! DLC, DLC, gimme more DLC I will happily pay for a 50% completed game and then pay three times the price for DLC for a year

#15 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 15:50

At this rate should I just go XBOX and Forza? 

Tbh that's probably your best option for what you are looking for atm. I play Forza Motorsport 6, it has a lot of good things about it, but a lot of bad things too. The game is over a year old now so you may be able to find a copy that comes with all the DLC. They have some great laser scanned tracks in that game and hundreds of fully customizable cars, no premium/standard car BS like GT does. FM7 should be out around fall 2017, a new game comes out every 2 years.

Then theres Forza Horizon 3 which just came out a few months back, it's an open world driving/racing game set in Australia. It's similar to Forza Motorsport but feels like more of an arcade racer. Personally I don't like it, but it seems pretty popular enough and it does look really good. This game is also on a 2 year life cycle, the next game should be out around fall 2018 if history is anything to go by.

Also I don't know if this matters to you, but as a general media player (TV, movies, games, etc) the Xbox is definitely the way to go. I have both consoles and the PS4 definitely isn't as good in that respect imo, but at the same time it normally has slightly better graphics and performance so it's kind of a trade off. They are both backwards compatible but not all games from last gen are available.

Edited by MikeV1987, 07 December 2016 - 16:24.

#16 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 18:16

I think, at this point, he should just go for the PS4 Pro, in terms of the size of the library, all-round value and general future-proofing.

#17 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,783 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 23:53

I'm a bit lost now, is it worth going xbimmers just for forza? How hard is assetto corsa?

#18 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,783 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 00:39

Educate me on DLC, etc is all this about?

Edited by Alfisti, 09 December 2016 - 00:39.

#19 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:32

Err DLC is downloadable content that you usually have to pay for but sometimes get for nothing.

In Dirt Rally you paid for the game, or got access to it after playing the Beta, and a couple of batches of DLC were released as patches with content. You got a few cars and an extra area of stages. 

In Assetto Corsa the DLC is paid for, so you buy the basic game and whatever is included with it, and any extra cars and tracks you have to pay for. Deoends how you buy it, on PC I bought a special version that had most of the DLC included with the game, but there are still things to buy if you want them.

Plus, on PC versions you can "mod" the game, meaning you can add bits to the game from modders and people who like making tracks and cars. AC is great for this but games like PCARS and Dirt Rally are poor, meaning in AC it is quite easy to drop in say a new car or group of cars and a track. Whereas in PCARS and Dirt Rally it is not as simple.

PCARS dropped a ton of DLC when it came out, costing quite a lot of extra money over and above the price of the game. So if the game costs 30 quid on release and you buy all the DLC you are basically giving them even more money for stuff they should have included in the release, as it would likely have been drawn and developed then anyway. But they drip feed it out over the coming months.

It is the modern way and it sucks, basically a game with all content now costs considerably more, often 2 or 3 times the initial purchase price.

Largely because gamers are stupid idiots. And hand it over without realising what precedent they are setting.

Advertisement

#20 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:31

I wouldn't recommend a PS4 for simracing, you can build a PC for not much more and the available of top quality sims is much higher.

#21 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,420 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 19:43

We've drifted a bit off topic here, I feel. The console is also for 'Alfistini' right? I'd say that pretty much rules out PC (not exactly 'accessible for littl'un). As far as consoles go..I always went for Playstation above Xbox. Paying a lot of money for a console, then paying a lot of money for games and THEN having to pay to play them (Xbox live) seemed to me to be a bit much. I still use a PS3, would that not serve as a stop-gap console until Next-Gen consoles drop in price a bit? It still has a lot of impressive titles, still has online support and has the advantage of being backwards compatible with PS1 titles (a lot of which would be perfect for Junior).

#22 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:44

Trouble is with PS3 you are playing old hat games now.

If you haven't moved on and don't intend to fair enough, but some of the stuff on there is looked old now.

#23 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,420 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:05

It's not a matter of 'not intending to', but PS3 is still supported by Sony. And as for 'old hat' ..well... let's face it o'l bean.. that's just next-gen snobbery, isn't it? Can you tell me how Uncharted 2-3 are 'old hat' when compared to 4? Battlefield 3-4 when compared to 1 (confusing as that is!!)? Batman:Arkham Knight when compared to Ciy/Origins? Dishonored 2 when compared to the original? Just because next-gen.games are a bit bigger and have more impressive graphics, it doesn't automatically make older games crap! PS3 is still current, has a wealth of titles..aaand.. has some backwards compatibility.. aaand would be a lot cheaper. Biggest downside really would be the (online supported) lifespan will be shorter than PS4/XBox ONE.

Just trying to cover all angles/possibilities,(not to mention getting the most bang per buck, in line with 'fisti's requirements) without going all "Must have next-gen NOW!!.. 'Cause anything else is just scummy! Eeuw!!"

;)

Edited by Tony Mandara, 14 December 2016 - 10:21.

#24 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:28

XboxOne and PS4 been here for few years already so I think it's bit wrong to call them next generation...

#25 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,420 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:42

Industry standards simply label them next-gen, as they are the highest-spec consoles available.

But to quote J.Clarkson, "Let's not get bogged down in 'Ooo thinks what is what..." That's not the point of this thread.

:)

Edited by Tony Mandara, 14 December 2016 - 11:52.

#26 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:53

Again, being honest if you are playing so called sims on a console you are only really playing at it. Am buying my uncle Asseto Corsa for Xmas so will be interesting to see how that feels on a console as I have it on PC.

That is snobbery and it is founded on playing games on both from my experience!!

I had a PS3 and loved it at the time, but have since bought a gamepad for my PC and play everything on that, it is simply much superior. More playable, more moddable, just better. Play Skyrim on PC then try it on PS3 (opening door, 5 mins later)

Yes it's a faff at times a PC, but the upsides outweigh the downsides.

Turned on my mates PS4 the other day, he hadn't used it for a month and we couldn't do anything literally for an hour as it downloaded updates, his broadband speed is 100meg! It's their useless servers, they have always been useless.

When you are paying for online play, that is not only unacceptable, it is borderline malpractice.

#27 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,420 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:14

All true, in many respects,.. but if we go back to the OP we see that the requirements are primarily for use by a 5 year old. Hence my reasoning that (in this case) the negatives of PC outweigh the positives, making something like PS3 a more viable (possible) option. Also, recommending a complicated Sim to 'Fisti could well lead to some long posts containing lots of capital letters!

;)

Edited by Tony Mandara, 14 December 2016 - 12:29.

#28 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,783 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 20:02

PC is just too much ****ing hassle. Trying to get GP4 to work is a ****ing nightmare on Windows 7, i cannot do it, it's ridiculous. 

I don't need a sim, i need something i can plug in that has solid handling and gameplay without me having to invest hundreds of hours to get a decent ride. Gran Turismo 3 drove me crazy in regards to this, 20 hour races to MAYBE unlock the car I want, go **** yourself i don't have that kind of time. I also need something for the boy, 5 years old. 

Local EB games had a decent deal so I picked up a PS4, Uncharted 4 came with it as well as LEgo Star Wars for the boy and a second controller all for $380 including taxes and other bullshit add on fees north americans seem obsessed with. I picked up a used copy of Transformers for $25 too. 

One day i'll pick up either Assetto Corsa or Project Cars for myself. 

#29 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,783 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 20:04

Turned on my mates PS4 the other day, he hadn't used it for a month and we couldn't do anything literally for an hour as it downloaded updates, his broadband speed is 100meg! It's their useless servers, they have always been useless.

When you are paying for online play, that is not only unacceptable, it is borderline malpractice.

This is what worries me, that's a ****ing joke. 

#30 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,420 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 21:35

Also a bit hyperbolic, I think. I've never known system/game* updates to take an hour.

*With the exception of GT6, which did add a lot of content with some pretty big updates.

Edited by Tony Mandara, 14 December 2016 - 21:36.

#31 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 22:53

PC is just too much ****ing hassle. Trying to get GP4 to work is a ****ing nightmare on Windows 7, i cannot do it, it's ridiculous. 

I don't need a sim, i need something i can plug in that has solid handling and gameplay without me having to invest hundreds of hours to get a decent ride. Gran Turismo 3 drove me crazy in regards to this, 20 hour races to MAYBE unlock the car I want, go **** yourself i don't have that kind of time. I also need something for the boy, 5 years old. 

Local EB games had a decent deal so I picked up a PS4, Uncharted 4 came with it as well as LEgo Star Wars for the boy and a second controller all for $380 including taxes and other bullshit add on fees north americans seem obsessed with. I picked up a used copy of Transformers for $25 too. 

One day i'll pick up either Assetto Corsa or Project Cars for myself. 

There is iRacing, then there are games. 

#32 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:48

The sad thing is with Iracing, that to compete properly in a couple of series you are looking at an initial outlay of 50 odd quid probably more for all the tracks and then the monthly costs.

Their business model does seem to work remarkably, but for a lot of fans it is simply too expensive.

I might be tempted by the dirt series that are starting, but the game is so biased to Americans and American series that puts me off a little

#33 Mark8539

Mark8539

• 38 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:58

I wouldn't agree that iRacing is biased to the Americans even if it is an American service. Road side is bigger than the Oval side these days, in both participation and content.

#34 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:07

I think that is probably because a lot of European guys play it now I guess.

I did try it a few years ago on a free and it was miles ahead of anything else at the time in terms of FFB and physics.

But as I say to justify that outlay every month you have to really be either very rich or a serious league player or hours a day player.

The business model will never work for leisure gamers which most of us are really, I play all sorts of games, not just sims. Like most people, a very niche clientele and market, but it works for them.

#35 Slowersofterdumber

Slowersofterdumber

• 1,809 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 14:38

You donĀ“t have many options in PS4.

- Want a satisfying driving experience first and foremost, at the cost of horrible presentation and little racing options? Assetto Corsa.

- Want an OKish driving experience decently packaged, that lacks a bit of fidelity behind the wheel? Project CARS.

- Not too bothered about the driving experience, and more into good presentation and atmosphere? F1 16.

- Like Rallying? Dirt.

If you switch to PC, choice increases with the following:

- You want maximum fidelity behind the wheel: rFactor 2, Automobilista.

- You want a great multiplayer experience, at the cost of second rate physics and ridiculous pricing: iRacing.

#36 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,783 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 15:25

Next person to mention PC is banned, just for being a knucklehead. 

#37 scolbourne

scolbourne

• 554 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:18

iRacing is rather expensive but to keep an account running if you buy during sales such as Black Friday using iRacing credits (100 for $75) will only cost you about $5 per month (less if you subscribe for two years).

I have given up trying to race whole seasons as that can get expensive , having to buy new content. This cost can be reduced as you get credits for completing a required number of races in a series, so if you have the time you could actually run at a profit.

I pick and choose now buying with a 20% discount because I have enough content already and race mainly hosted races or enter practice sessions which do not ruin your safety rating. I picked up Le Mans and the Nurburgring recently and with my yearly bonus it costs me about $75 a year.

What I find annoying is that they replace cars, with the current version that you are expected to buy , and as I had the old V8 Ford Falcon (same model as my road car) I did not do so, meaning I am only able to use it in hosted races.

Edited by scolbourne, 17 December 2016 - 04:23.

#38 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,420 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:59

Well.... I'm speachless..

(and that doesn't happen often)

#39 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 16:06

Also, If updates take an hour or more then maybe you should upgrade your dinosaur internet speed.

Edited by MikeV1987, 18 December 2016 - 16:19.

Advertisement

#40 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 16:42

I already said it has nothing whatsoever to do with internet speed.

My friend has 100meg broadband, one of the fastest in the area.

It is the Sony servers and the relentless updates.  

Just poor in this day and age for a supposed next gen piece of kit

#41 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,783 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 14:43

Project Cars is $25 brand new.

Sold.

#42 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 16:12

Yeah, that's a pretty good buy. Especially if you got the one with all the extra content.

http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/bycar

Here is a site if you need setups for the cars, some of them like the Ginetta Junior and Clio cup can be pretty tricky with default setups.

Edited by MikeV1987, 19 December 2016 - 16:13.

#43 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 17:47

Lol, wait til you get home and try it on the PC!! 

If you bought it on console fair enough

So it should be 25 quid, maybe cheaper its nearly a year old!!

#44 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,783 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 20:33

Yeah just found the one with all the extra content, it's $50. Most new games here go for about $80 so $50 with all the DLC included seems a fair deal and works out $15 cheaper than buying the basic game and paying for the extra stuff. Not to mention I am extremely time poor and this saves a lot of ****ing about. 

#45 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 15:21

Tbh I bought the DLC and haven't really used it much so I doubt you really need it anyway. 25 is still a good deal for the base game though.

Edited by MikeV1987, 20 December 2016 - 15:22.