- - - - -

Liberty to "turn F1 into Super Bowl"

• Please log in to reply
1132 replies to this topic

#1001 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,538 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 20:29

Ecclestone might have made you think he was for the fans.  

OK we all know how crap some of his deals have been for the sport but don't forget Bernie was a fan first as well as a racer, a driver manager and a team owner before spending 40 years running the sport. So he lost touch with the average fan but he still knew the sport backwards in a way that Chase Carey and Sean Bratches will never manage.

Advertisement

#1002 pdac

pdac

• 8,443 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 20:37

OK we all know how crap some of his deals have been for the sport but don't forget Bernie was a fan first as well as a racer, a driver manager and a team owner before spending 40 years running the sport. So he lost touch with the average fan but he still knew the sport backwards in a way that Chase Carey and Sean Bratches will never manage.

Apt description - he knew the sport going backward to how it used to be in the 1980's. Things moved on, but all he knew about it was that he was making hand-over-fist with the deal he was gifted by he buddy Max. He didn't even realise that people stopped using fax machines years before he left the sport.

#1003 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,012 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 20:39

Yeah I don't see that one going away. 

We can wish, can't we?

#1004 BRG

BRG

• 17,163 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 22:59

Not sure why there is an outcry over going to Vietnam, it’s supposed to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. Places like Baku, and a Singapore didn’t have ‘racing history ‘ that some people like to claim is necessary to hold a race, yet they are both fantastic places and races....

So much wrong here...

Since when has the criteria for having a F1 race been beauty?  That basically rules out all the races with the possible exception of Spa which is in picturesque countryside.

Both Singapore and Azerbaijan had held a few races in the past.  Vietnam....none.

And neither Singapore nor BAkuare fantastic places or races.

Otherwise I completely agree with you.

#1005 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,543 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 00:05

Yeah. Nothing to get upset about unless you happen to be on the receiving end of it.

Like PAYR said, take it up with Pablo. 

#1006 loki

loki

• 6,018 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:14

He always took the business upside instead of looking out for the fans.  Why else would he have left Montreal for a year?  Germany?  France?   He routinely threatened to pull races from established venues.  He tightly controlled all the media access and banished those that didn't agree and/or worship him.  Had he been for the fans he wouldn't have divided the haves and have nots to produce the kind of racing and competition there is today.  I would argue that collectively those that Liberty have hired, Brawn et al know modern F1 far more than Ecclestone cared to have over the last couple decades.  Were Ecclestone truly a man of the sport he wouldn't have butchered it like a Christmas goose in the name of profit.  What Ecclestone did know how to do was leverage his power for the betterment of his own finances.

#1007 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:35

What are you smoking? Liberty don't give a sh*t about fans, old or new, just the profit margin.

Exactly, which is why they do care about fans. Or more precisely, their goal is to please them such - and only such - that they don't start a riot that affects those outside that core group.

Whether it's sports, products, games, newspapers, whatever... it's okay to have people complaining a bit.

It's not okay when that complaining spreads into the passive demographic that make up the vast majority of customers/viewers.

#1008 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:41

... with consistently falling numbers of viewers Liberty are discovering how much they have overpaid for the rights.

I've never been too convinced by the 800! 600! 400! 450! million viewers FOM claimed to have, as their '15 minutes of coverage over a season' metric was always highly questionable.

But even I've been surprised to see F1's race highlights videos (hosted on YouTube) struggle to make it pas 2 to 3 million views, some outliers notwithstanding.

#1009 F1matt

F1matt

• 1,027 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:28

Liberty doesn’t really know what to do, do they?

This nails it for me. Liberty have owned F1 for 18 months now and there is no clear direction, they never look totally in control and when you read team principals they never sound convinced by them.

#1010 screamingV16

screamingV16

• 1,362 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:01

But we're going to have a mascot :clap: :rotfl: , what happened to the mascot anyone?

#1011 pdac

pdac

• 8,443 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:15

I've never been too convinced by the 800! 600! 400! 450! million viewers FOM claimed to have, as their '15 minutes of coverage over a season' metric was always highly questionable.

But even I've been surprised to see F1's race highlights videos (hosted on YouTube) struggle to make it pas 2 to 3 million views, some outliers notwithstanding.

It doesn't really matter whether you are convinced or not. These numbers are not for you. They are there to convince businesses and governments that F1 is worth the money.

#1012 pdac

pdac

• 8,443 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:18

This nails it for me. Liberty have owned F1 for 18 months now and there is no clear direction, they never look totally in control and when you read team principals they never sound convinced by them.

Of course there's a clear direction. The direction is change. As expected, they are finding tremendous resistance to change and that's why there appears to be no direction -they are simply starting to move the goalposts, but they can only move them so far before the old regime tries to reposition them again. But, sure enough, things are changing.

#1013 ANF

ANF

• 10,690 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:32

But we're going to have a mascot :clap: :rotfl: , what happened to the mascot anyone?

I think I saw a picture of him once, standing next to van Boren, the phonographer.

#1014 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:18

Of course there's a clear direction.

Chase Carey said at the start of 2018: "We need to make sure that we put on events that are truly spectacles; we want every one of our races to be really a weeklong celebration that captures the world’s imagination. And then we wanted to make sure we connect, because obviously only a small slice of our fans are there live."

That's FOM's goal. The goal is not simply 'change'.

In 2016, Carey said: "a good digital product makes the television product more rewarding. Marketing the sport, in telling the story of the stars and heroes and the incredible machines. Then strengthen it geographically. So there is not 'the cash cow', but there is growth possibility in every area."

Two years later, F1 on YouTube still hasn't cracked 2 million subscribers. The non-race highlight videos that 'tell the story of the stars' get between 50k and 250k views (with a few outliers).

If you spend 100 minutes racing, make a 5 minute highlights video, and waste half of that on the start and podium antics - something is not right.

Edited by Nonesuch, 18 November 2018 - 12:19.

#1015 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 679 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 16:04

A week long celebration with a day less actual track running?

This to me is a clear sign they have not one clue about how to run the thing

#1016 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,443 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 16:13

Chase Carey said at the start of 2018: [i]"We need to make sure that we put on events that are truly spectacles; we want every one of our races to be really a weeklong celebration that captures the world’s imagination

At the end of 2018 he is considering cutting races to 2 days so that he can squeeze in 4 more races a year! Dollar$ Dollars$ Dollars$

#1017 pdac

pdac

• 8,443 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 16:16

A week long celebration with a day less actual track running?

This to me is a clear sign they have not one clue about how to run the thing

But it's not about the racing. The race is the culmination of all of the celebrations that go before it. That's why the street races are the goal - the city will host a number of events to attract people throughout the week and the climax will be the race on the Sunday. That's their dream. Does it hold water? Who knows.

#1018 pdac

pdac

• 8,443 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 16:19

Chase Carey said at the start of 2018: "We need to make sure that we put on events that are truly spectacles; we want every one of our races to be really a weeklong celebration that captures the world’s imagination. And then we wanted to make sure we connect, because obviously only a small slice of our fans are there live."

That's FOM's goal. The goal is not simply 'change'.

In 2016, Carey said: "a good digital product makes the television product more rewarding. Marketing the sport, in telling the story of the stars and heroes and the incredible machines. Then strengthen it geographically. So there is not 'the cash cow', but there is growth possibility in every area."

Two years later, F1 on YouTube still hasn't cracked 2 million subscribers. The non-race highlight videos that 'tell the story of the stars' get between 50k and 250k views (with a few outliers).

If you spend 100 minutes racing, make a 5 minute highlights video, and waste half of that on the start and podium antics - something is not right.

They haven't (yet) cracked the racing. That will only come once they leverage control back from the teams (which they are working on)

#1019 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 679 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 16:26

What's the point in celebrating for a week about a product that isn't right and continually goes in a direction we don't like?
The engines, the need for DRS, the ridiculous tyres, the lack of sponsor interest - all things that need fixed as a priority before they ruin anything else.

And they still don't seem to be any closer to sorting the 2021 regs

Advertisement

#1020 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,999 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 16:28

They haven't (yet) cracked the racing. That will only come once they leverage control back from the teams (which they are working on)

pdac it is not that you are wrong, it is Liberty who is wrong in what you are right about - In order to make the sport something more sustainable over a longer period of time, they do need more eyeballs, they do need both the dinasaurs and the younger yet initiated, I do not think 18 months in to their ownership they have truly catered to either.

First step in improving F1 would be giving the teams zero input (and no historic or other type payments not grounded in what happens on track over a season, 2 or 3 will be workable as a working scale up and down).

:cool:

#1021 FLB

FLB

• 10,460 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 16:39

pdac it is not that you are wrong, it is Liberty who is wrong in what you are right about - In order to make the sport something more sustainable over a longer period of time, they do need more eyeballs, they do need both the dinasaurs and the younger yet initiated, I do not think 18 months in to their ownership they have truly catered to either.

First step in improving F1 would be giving the teams zero input (and no historic or other type payments not grounded in what happens on track over a season, 2 or 3 will be workable as a working scale up and down).

In order to make the sport more sustainable, the first thing Liberty should do is to reduce the number of races. Rarety creates desire. F1's carbon footprint is also enormous with all the constant travelling by plane and that's something that matters nowadays. 

#1022 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,503 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 17:02

Were Ecclestone truly a man of the sport he wouldn't have butchered it like a Christmas goose in the name of profit.  What Ecclestone did know how to do was leverage his power for the betterment of his own finances.

Quite. And eighteen months is not enough time for anyone, not Liberty, not Father Christmas, to undo all the damage.

Let's take an example of two manufacturer teams. FOM payments to Ferrari are nearly 3.5 times those made to Renault. That is totally destructive of competition. But there are legally binding  contracts. Even without such contracts, would Ferrari happily give up the difference? They have, unsurprisingly, hinted they might not be happy.

We all have keyboards and perfect insight; come on folks, how would you have solved that?

#1023 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,999 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 17:20

Quite. And eighteen months is not enough time for anyone, not Liberty, not Father Christmas, to undo all the damage.

Let's take an example of two manufacturer teams. FOM payments to Ferrari are nearly 3.5 times those made to Renault. That is totally destructive of competition. But there are legally binding  contracts. Even without such contracts, would Ferrari happily give up the difference? They have, unsurprisingly, hinted they might not be happy.

We all have keyboards and perfect insight; come on folks, how would you have solved that?

I know there are contracts, I do not think Ferrari's is the same  100 year one Liberty bought, much as I am a Ferrari fan the FIA, FOM and whoever else is contractually held by the various over payments to some teams should put them on notice.

Dear 'xxx', this letter serve to advise we will be re-negotiting all aspects of our current contarct upon it's expiration on '.. date.. ', we invite you to early negotiations, time and place at your convenience. Failing a new contract being in place by the expiration of our current contract we will unilatterally create one for you to participate in the F1 World Championships under.

As far as I understand it the contracts will all expire before the 2021 or 2022 season, I have no issue in waiting for betterment if I trusted the betterment would in actuality happen. My 'soul' of F1.

Do not need a single manufacturers involvement.

Does not need any road relevancy.

Would not mandate pitstops and multiple tire compounds.

Would not in any way encourage fuel saving.

Would not be locked in to one engine configuration.

No pit to car telemetry.

No car to pit telemetry.

Only setting driver can change during race will be brake balance front and rear.

Would mandate 'x' square meters of wings and barge boards.

12 races in a season.

Monaco and Montreal only city tracks.

There is more, you get my drift of how old style I would go.

#1024 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 17:21

F1's carbon footprint is also enormous with all the constant travelling by plane and that's something that matters nowadays. 

This is true, but it's also a bit of a self-inflicted wound. By talking about it in relation to their engines (and tyres, thanks Bridgestone) other aspects of F1 are drawn in to the discussion. Not entirely unlike the doping in cycling, where a genuine (by often flawed) attempt to clean up the sport ended up painting the whole thing as a giant pit of cheating, etc. All the while others kept quiet about it and/or brushed it under the carpet.

F1 is criticized for flying a bunch of cars to Malaysia, but nobody is bothered when dozens of speed skaters and their assistants and crews fly to Japan, back to Europe, and then to Canada to skate on artificial ice in giant indoor facilities that are constantly kept at an fixed and unnatural temperature and humidity. But anyway. :p

Call their bluff.

Best case scenario for FOM: Ferrari accepts and stays in F1.

Best outcome for me: Ferrari shifts focus to winning Le Mans. It's been too long!

Edited by Nonesuch, 18 November 2018 - 17:24.

#1025 pdac

pdac

• 8,443 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 17:21

I think to truly make it more sustainable will be a big blow for the likes of Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull (and even Williams). Liberty could call their bluff right now and take away their money and power, but that may well cost a lot in the short term. Perhaps they are not prepared to take that hit right now, given that they've paid so much for the rights originally. Maybe they're just trying to shift the balance a bit before they strike. Maybe they're hoping the big teams will start to appreciate that it's going to happen and, rather than abandoning ship, those teams will gradually change their attitude.

What I do think, though, is the Liberty F1 vision of the future will be less about motor racing and the F1 follower of the future will not necessarily be anything like what you might call a petrol head.

#1026 loki

loki

• 6,018 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 22:06

Dear 'xxx', this letter serve to advise we will be re-negotiting all aspects of our current contarct upon it's expiration on '.. date.. ', we invite you to early negotiations, time and place at your convenience. Failing a new contract being in place by the expiration of our current contract we will unilatterally create one for you to participate in the F1 World Championships under.

That's pretty much the message that was communicated months ago.  What's happening now is Liberty giving the teams an opportunity to have some input and be able to transition to the new model.  The compromises so far have been to bribe award Ferrari for "historical" purposes.  Since it doesn't look like any new engine manufacturers are joining it doesn't make sense to change the engine config too much.  The changes in payments are resource restrictions are are said to be a certainty and not a wish.  From those in the meetings it was pitched as "this is where we are going in 2021, how would you like the transition to happen?" rather than a wish list.  Things will change.  Teams aren't going anywhere.  The hard holdouts will be Mercedes and Ferrari and they won't shutter billion dollar investments in F1 racing.  Whether it has any significant impact on who runs up front at least the payment structure will be more equitable.  I'm not seeing the middle of the pack suddenly be in contention for the championship but the new model will make owning a team more sustainable.

#1027 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,999 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 22:40

That's pretty much the message that was communicated months ago.  What's happening now is Liberty giving the teams an opportunity to have some input and be able to transition to the new model.  The compromises so far have been to bribe award Ferrari for "historical" purposes.  Since it doesn't look like any new engine manufacturers are joining it doesn't make sense to change the engine config too much.  The changes in payments are resource restrictions are are said to be a certainty and not a wish.  From those in the meetings it was pitched as "this is where we are going in 2021, how would you like the transition to happen?" rather than a wish list.  Things will change.  Teams aren't going anywhere.  The hard holdouts will be Mercedes and Ferrari and they won't shutter billion dollar investments in F1 racing.  Whether it has any significant impact on who runs up front at least the payment structure will be more equitable.  I'm not seeing the middle of the pack suddenly be in contention for the championship but the new model will make owning a team more sustainable.

If the rules were written better they would not need a cap on spending, if a team / manufacturer wants to be in the club spending billions they are welcome in my F1 - Will naturally mean they will run with huge losses, meaning Darwinism will eventually take over.

They need a much more open Engine regulation, line a set of equalizers so a V12 can be x size, V6 can be y size, Turbo can b z size, pick a number cylinders will be adjusted accordingly - I am convinced a formula exist where they will all end within 40HP of each other and that is less than what we have now.

#1028 LBDN

LBDN

• 799 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 22:44

You speak as though you have never yourself attended a racing event?
As has been pointed out by others, practice days are enjoyed by many fans.
It's the same in MotoGP. They're not as well attended, on practice days but people still go and enjoy them in a more relaxed way. Do you think MotoGP should also scrap Fridays?

Personally i find the Friday the best day out of the 3 days.

Less people, more room to roam around at various vantage points.

Weird as it sounds, if i could only attend one day it would probably be the Friday.

#1029 pdac

pdac

• 8,443 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 23:09

If the rules were written better they would not need a cap on spending, if a team / manufacturer wants to be in the club spending billions they are welcome in my F1 - Will naturally mean they will run with huge losses, meaning Darwinism will eventually take over.

They need a much more open Engine regulation, line a set of equalizers so a V12 can be x size, V6 can be y size, Turbo can b z size, pick a number cylinders will be adjusted accordingly - I am convinced a formula exist where they will all end within 40HP of each other and that is less than what we have now.

That's not really much more open - that's just offering alternatives within the constraints, not freedom to be innovative.

#1030 loki

loki

• 6,018 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 00:29

Personally i find the Friday the best day out of the 3 days.

Less people, more room to roam around at various vantage points.

Weird as it sounds, if i could only attend one day it would probably be the Friday.

That's how I attend Cup events and sometimes NHRA.  At many of the Cup events you get a good truck race that night.  At Indycar for me Friday is trolling around the paddock, taking in the action from other parts of the grandstands (most seats are GA on Fri).   Sat I'm less mobile, there are more people and Sunday it's basically to my seat, watch the race, go home.  For F1 I'd also go all days but if I had to pick only one it would be Friday.

#1031 loki

loki

• 6,018 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 00:31

All that is well and good (though you'll see no one else enter with an engine equivalence formula) but those are FIA issues and not FOM issues.  FOM is about promotion, TV deals, hospitality, race rights and prize money.  And occasionally they're able to stream something on the internet...

#1032 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,538 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:14

Bring a case in the European court on anti competition grounds - Force India dropping their case may have set F1 back years.

#1033 Beri

Beri

• 1,912 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:32

At least with Bernie, there was a feeling he knew what F1 was all about for us fans.

True. I get the jibbers when I hear Carey talk about the "product", "profits" and "markets". I seriously wished the old white fox was still at the helm.

#1034 ANF

ANF

• 10,690 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:46

Fritz-Dieter Rencken‏ @RacingLines 59m59 minutes ago
More
F1 launches free F1 Mobile Racing game https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/16/f1-launches-free-f1-mobile-racing-game/

Driving-wise it looks about as realistic as Accolade's old Test Drive-turned-into-GP-game from 1988: https://www.myabando...cuit-ga/play-ga

Edited by ANF, 25 November 2018 - 22:13.

#1035 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,408 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:41

It doesn't really matter whether you are convinced or not. These numbers are not for you. They are there to convince businesses and governments that F1 is worth the money.

Businesses and Governments are just as able to check viewed numbers on youtube as the rest of us. That being said, a couple of million views for each highlights vid is not actually that bad, if you look at other equivalent videos. Highlights of champion league finals seem to gather the same sort of views. 

#1036 BRG

BRG

• 17,163 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 21:23

Driving-wise it looks about as realistic as Accolade's old Test Drive-turned-into-GP-game from 1988: https://www.myabando...cuit-ga/play-ga

AH, but look at the DHL logos.  They couldn't manage that level of product placement back in 1988.

#1037 r4mses

r4mses

• 1,346 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 21:40

anyone else super annoyed by their spam of video-game-like sounds? at some point during the race it was beep beep - beep beep - beep beep - beep beep - beep beep - beep beep. pitstop stopwatch, stopwatch, radio message, stopwatch, message, message, stopwatch, stopwatch.

:mad:

When you're not looking at the TV, you get the impression something is broken since there're constantly beeps.

#1038 pdac

pdac

• 8,443 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 21:44

Businesses and Governments are just as able to check viewed numbers on youtube as the rest of us. That being said, a couple of million views for each highlights vid is not actually that bad, if you look at other equivalent videos. Highlights of champion league finals seem to gather the same sort of views. 

But then won't/don't.

#1039 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 4,005 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 21:47

Another huge mistake is going to be a 25-30 races calendar. Engines exploding, mechanics tired and even the fans are done with this season. Imagine a season with both titles wrapped going longer after this Abu Dhabi race. This is more than enough.

Edited by SonGoku, 25 November 2018 - 21:47.

Advertisement

#1040 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 679 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 23:45

At some point I would likely have to decide not to watch all of them.

And despite hearing very few opinions that more races would be a good thing, I just get the feeling the current top brass are going to completely disregard everything everyone is saying and do it anyway...

#1041 MargaretM37

MargaretM37

• 83 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:32

anyone else super annoyed by their spam of video-game-like sounds? at some point during the race it was beep beep - beep beep - beep beep - beep beep - beep beep - beep beep. pitstop stopwatch, stopwatch, radio message, stopwatch, message, message, stopwatch, stopwatch.

:mad:

When you're not looking at the TV, you get the impression something is broken since there're constantly beeps.

I kept looking round my kitchen to try to work out which alarm was going off ! :rotfl:

#1042 Beri

Beri

• 1,912 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:32

At some point I would likely have to decide not to watch all of them.

And despite hearing very few opinions that more races would be a good thing, I just get the feeling the current top brass are going to completely disregard everything everyone is saying and do it anyway...

That is something I have issues with already. All 21 races could be manageable to watch. But not for me. Include into account the ridiculous starting time of 15.00 and my entire Sunday afternoon is gone. Well, 15.10 to be precise, that's some other ridiculous thing as well.

Edited by Beri, 26 November 2018 - 06:33.

#1043 proviz

proviz

• 583 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:47

Never before at any point in time have I said that if this or that happens I'm going to stop following F1, but so far the signs are that it will inevitably happen during Liberty's reign.

#1044 secessionman

secessionman

• 347 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:43

I wonder how Liberty's deal with Interregional Sports Group will be affected by the political pressure now being exerted on gambling companies to kerb their in-play activities, and several companies apparent willingness to be seen to comply.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/46453954

https://www.autospor...betting-markets

#1045 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 936 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:05

I don't have much issue with in-game gambling....but if it's not going to be allowed that's one less annoying "artificial intelligence graphic" to worry about.

I'm awaiting the "Heneken F1 Gran Pree of Britain brought to you by Fosters in association with Rolex"  and "See how the Black & Decker safety crew are working to extract Perez from his BWT Racing Point. Now we have on-board from the Microsoft camera and while we wait for the race to restart here's the running order brought to you by Dell Computers....Dell....Purely You.....now on your screen you can see the Coca-Cola fastest pit stops.......we're bringing you pictures of the pit lane courtesy of Parmalat Foods....."

#1046 Grippy

Grippy

• 67 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:41

That will be the time to mute the telly and have radio on 5Live, which is what we did during ad breaks on ITV and telly switched to RTL  ;)

#1047 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 936 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:02

When I first saw a broadcast of a NASCAR race I was young and naive enough to think that Zerex made the in-car cameras.....because the Zerex logo appeared every time an in-car shot was used and the commentator referred to it as "Wonderful shots from our Zerex in-car camera".....a bit later I realised Zerex merely paid to sponsor the camera shots and was rather disgusted.

#1048 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,869 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 14:19

I don't have much issue with in-game gambling....but if it's not going to be allowed that's one less annoying "artificial intelligence graphic" to worry about.

I'm awaiting the "Heneken F1 Gran Pree of Britain brought to you by Fosters in association with Rolex"  and "See how the Black & Decker safety crew are working to extract Perez from his BWT Racing Point. Now we have on-board from the Microsoft camera and while we wait for the race to restart here's the running order brought to you by Dell Computers....Dell....Purely You.....now on your screen you can see the Coca-Cola fastest pit stops.......we're bringing you pictures of the pit lane courtesy of Parmalat Foods....."

Watch any US racing series with orignal commentary and it is a rolling ad.

#1049 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,503 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 15:08

I wonder how Liberty's deal with Interregional Sports Group will be affected by the political pressure now being exerted on gambling companies to kerb their in-play activities, and several companies apparent willingness to be seen to comply.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/46453954

https://www.autospor...betting-markets

We can only hope they'll be affected very badly indeed. Liberty signalled they wanted to move away from the shoddy, tacky image of (dare I mention?) grid girls, and here they are pushing gambling. Certainly in the UK there's increasing concern over problem gambling. Nobody's talking about banning gambling, but of all the things society might need, more gambling is not one of them.

#1050 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,543 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 15:35

We can only hope they'll be affected very badly indeed. Liberty signalled they wanted to move away from the shoddy, tacky image of (dare I mention?) grid girls, and here they are pushing gambling. Certainly in the UK there's increasing concern over problem gambling. Nobody's talking about banning gambling, but of all the things society might need, more gambling is not one of them.

Yeah Grid Girls are far more acceptable than the gambling sleaze imho. But $$$.