- - - - -

Liberty to "turn F1 into Super Bowl"

• Please log in to reply
1118 replies to this topic

#201 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,065 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 00:28

I think more isn't necessarily the key. Better and more diverse is more important imho. V8SC, even non-points races, will draw a crowd pretty much any time, and there's something for everyone at the Melbourne event.

It's difficult to say any particular type is best. Personally when I go to an F1 race weekend I prefer to see open seater cars, the Porches dont really interest me. We don't get the V8SC, so cant say if that would be of more interest, but suspect not with much of the Silverstone crowd.

Edited by Clatter, 02 January 2017 - 00:28.

Advertisement

#202 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,696 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 00:33

It's difficult to say any particular type is best. Personally when I go to an F1 race weekend I prefer to see open seater cars, the Porches dont really interest me. We don't get the V8SC, so cant say if that would be of more interest, but suspect not with much of the Silverstone crowd.

I think that kind of crossover is what probably all motorsport series need. IMHO, if you put enough V8SC, F1, IndyCar, WEC, NASCAR, and other fans at other series' races, then many of them will become fans of other series as well. But who knows...

#203 loki

loki

• 5,508 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:09

The vacuum NASCAR filled was mostly left by IndyCar. They would have grown regardless of what F1 did. 

Re: Growing the F1 tradition at COTA, I'd love to see it happen, but based on what COTA has done so far I have little faith in their ability to make that happen. But who knows. Maybe that will improve going forward.

In the other sports the promotion is done in conjunction with the sanction and sponsors.  For example Nascar has a whole department that does nothing but that sort of promotion.  Indycar does it but but in a more limited way.   Right now F1 has nothing like that.  With the revolving door at COTA it's no wonder they haven't been able to promote more.  Managers and marketing wonks seem to come and go.  Promotion is certainly not Red or Bobby's forte.   That's right up Tavo's alley but he's doing that same sort of thing in Mexico now.  The first couple of years hotel debacles, RV parking and just parking in general have turned some of the more diehard fans off.

#204 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,696 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:04

Yep. Too bad they kicked him out.

OBTW re: the heat here in Austin, I started taking down my Christmas lights ... on a beautiful 80+ degree New Year's Day.

#205 minime

minime

• 396 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:50

Not sure that any extra promotion is required for the British GP, given they appear to be having to up the capacity each year. And this is at a track that is not exactly on the doorstep of any major (or even minor) city. I bet many current GP promotors would be quite happy to have a weekend attendance anywhere close to the 88,000 quoted for Friday attendance at a recent BGP.

Bernie and F1 in particular seems intent on requiring a 'fixed' timetable that appear to be aimed at precluding any extra 'events'.

Distances between destinations in other countries cannot be compared, anything in the UK is next door compared to say Oz, or the US or Canada etc. 

#206 MargaretM37

MargaretM37

• 81 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:11

The whole Superbowl thing is style over substance. Personally, I think that F1 needs:

1. More cars on the grid. 

2. The reintroduction of gravel traps. 

3. Manual gearboxes. 

4. An end to tyres that are designed to degrade so as to force pitstops, meaning that you have to overtake on the track. 

5. To go free to air. 

I'll admit that its not likely that most (if any) of these will come about, and I'll also hold my hand up and say that I don't know exactly how they could be implemented. I do know however, that the answer to improving F1 does not lie in razzamatazz. 

#207 D28

D28

• 1,437 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 13:59

The whole Superbowl thing is style over substance. Personally, I think that F1 needs:

1. More cars on the grid. 

2. The reintroduction of gravel traps. 

3. Manual gearboxes. 

4. An end to tyres that are designed to degrade so as to force pitstops, meaning that you have to overtake on the track. 

5. To go free to air. 

I'll admit that its not likely that most (if any) of these will come about, and I'll also hold my hand up and say that I don't know exactly how they could be implemented. I do know however, that the answer to improving F1 does not lie in razzamatazz. 

Free to air is a non-starter for the vast N American market, as the technology no longer is available.(see above discussion).

#208 E.B.

E.B.

• 4,380 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 14:00

Yep. Too bad they kicked him out.

OBTW re: the heat here in Austin, I started taking down my Christmas lights ... on a beautiful 80+ degree New Year's Day.

I have heard several Texans in recent weeks boasting about how hot it is even over Xmas period. It never seems to occur to them that many people would hate that and aren't remotely envious. Snow at Xmas is what I was missing.

#209 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,696 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 14:07

I have heard several Texans in recent weeks boasting about how hot it is even over Xmas period. It never seems to occur to them that many people would hate that and aren't remotely envious. Snow at Xmas is what I was missing.

Yeah, I'd rather have colder weather too for the Holidays, and most people I know would also prefer that.

#210 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,065 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 16:35

Free to air is a non-starter for the vast N American market, as the technology no longer is available.(see above discussion).

It could still be offered as a free channel on cable or satellite. I would assume that anyone with a TV already has the required recievers.

#211 D28

D28

• 1,437 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 16:53

It could still be offered as a free channel on cable or satellite. I would assume that anyone with a TV already has the required recievers.

Yes, but the basic cable hookup is far from; free depending on your package it could be anywhere from about $Cdn 28 /mo to $100+

And the bare bones package would not include the sports channel with F1 coverage. I can't comment on satellite charges except the basic dish is quite expensive. Anyway one looks at it F1 coverage is going to cost a significant amount and is never going to be "free" All TV coverage here is fairly costly.

#212 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,065 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 17:51

Yes, but the basic cable hookup is far from; free depending on your package it could be anywhere from about $Cdn 28 /mo to $100+

And the bare bones package would not include the sports channel with F1 coverage. I can't comment on satellite charges except the basic dish is quite expensive. Anyway one looks at it F1 coverage is going to cost a significant amount and is never going to be "free" All TV coverage here is fairly costly.

I understand that, but I'm assuming most people are already paying the receiving costs, but may not be willing to pay for F1 as an extra channel. The channel could be offered as a free channel on whatever the broadcast medium might be, outside of any other packages.

#213 D28

D28

• 1,437 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 18:33

I understand that, but I'm assuming most people are already paying the receiving costs, but may not be willing to pay for F1 as an extra channel. The channel could be offered as a free channel on whatever the broadcast medium might be, outside of any other packages.

Yes it involves a 2 tier arrangement, the basic package which depending on the cable company almost certainly wouldn't include F1, and/or a more expensive package which would include the popular sports channel but still maybe not F1. Locally I feel very fortunate that F1 is included in the popular sports package. This could change at any time and F1 would move to something like Speed channel which would have to be an added channel. F1 is still relatively popular in Canada, meaning advertising can be sold and the viewer ship warrants coverage on the popular sports channel. If interest faded it would disappear, all is governed by marketing. The decision seems to be made by the cable companies, they pay F1 for the program and hope to sell enough adds to make a profit. Other than setting the price, I don't see that Liberty or possibly F1 would have any say on how the program is delivered.

Someone else can comment on the US situation, but I believe F1 is less popular there and the sports universe much larger. I would not expect F1 is available on any popular sports channel but would be carried on a special motor sport channel like Speed TV. So cheaper viewing for F1 does not seem to be in the cards for N America.

#214 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,065 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 20:21

Yes it involves a 2 tier arrangement, the basic package which depending on the cable company almost certainly wouldn't include F1, and/or a more expensive package which would include the popular sports channel but still maybe not F1. Locally I feel very fortunate that F1 is included in the popular sports package. This could change at any time and F1 would move to something like Speed channel which would have to be an added channel. F1 is still relatively popular in Canada, meaning advertising can be sold and the viewer ship warrants coverage on the popular sports channel. If interest faded it would disappear, all is governed by marketing. The decision seems to be made by the cable companies, they pay F1 for the program and hope to sell enough adds to make a profit. Other than setting the price, I don't see that Liberty or possibly F1 would have any say on how the program is delivered.

Someone else can comment on the US situation, but I believe F1 is less popular there and the sports universe much larger. I would not expect F1 is available on any popular sports channel but would be carried on a special motor sport channel like Speed TV. So cheaper viewing for F1 does not seem to be in the cards for N America.

It could depend on what Liberty wants to see from the NA market. Once current contracts run out they could do a number of things. The reality is they probably won't, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for changes.

#215 D28

D28

• 1,437 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 23:48

It could depend on what Liberty wants to see from the NA market. Once current contracts run out they could do a number of things. The reality is they probably won't, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for changes.

Nor would I. Whoever controls the broadcast, Liberty/F1,  could lower their price but they couldn't force the cable companies to pass along the savings. Nothing having to do with F1 is cheap and Liberty has invested heavily in the commercial rights; they hope to at least break even some day.

#216 loki

loki

• 5,508 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:42

Broadcast TV is alive and mostly well in the US.  While most are getting it via cable or sat, the big 4 networks and local stations are over the air in most markets.  With the way network TV is licensed in the US that's not likely to change anytime soon.  Many markets, particularly in the southwest have Univision and Telemundo as well.

On many cable systems you get NBCSN as part of a base package much of the time with ESPN, Fox Sports and CBS Sports.  Broadcast penetration isn't the reason people in the US don't watch F1.

#217 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,065 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:59

Broadcast TV is alive and mostly well in the US. While most are getting it via cable or sat, the big 4 networks and local stations are over the air in most markets. With the way network TV is licensed in the US that's not likely to change anytime soon. Many markets, particularly in the southwest have Univision and Telemundo as well.

On many cable systems you get NBCSN as part of a base package much of the time with ESPN, Fox Sports and CBS Sports. Broadcast penetration isn't the reason people in the US don't watch F1.

Is F1 included in those packages? I was under the impression that not everyone to could get it because it simply wasn't broadcast at all. My only experience is from 20 years ago when I found it impossible to watch an F1 race.

Edited by Clatter, 03 January 2017 - 11:59.

#218 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,347 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 22:46

I am realizing (e.g., by reading the suspension rule clarification thread) that I actually don't want a younger, new audience streaming in. All it means in the internet age is a constant stream of new people believing that any team order they see is the first one, or who are upset by a team asking the governing body about the legality of a proposed design. A.k.a forum hell.

Let F1 die with us.

#219 loki

loki

• 5,508 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 23:30

Is F1 included in those packages? I was under the impression that not everyone to could get it because it simply wasn't broadcast at all. My only experience is from 20 years ago when I found it impossible to watch an F1 race.

F1 has been on over here for years.   Many if not most basic cable systems have NBCSN who carries the race.  In previous years a few of the races have been on regular broadcast TV.

Advertisement

#220 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,065 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 23:53

F1 has been on over here for years. Many if not most basic cable systems have NBCSN who carries the race. In previous years a few of the races have been on regular broadcast TV.

Fair enough. The impression I've got is that it was still not readily available.

#221 pdac

pdac

• 7,425 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 00:14

Fair enough. The impression I've got is that it was still not readily available.

If it's of interest, a quick check and it seems that Time Warner provide a cable service in Cincinnati that includes NBCSN HD for $59.99 per month ($718.88pa), which is for the top-level (non-premium) package

Edited by pdac, 04 January 2017 - 00:15.

#222 minime

minime

• 396 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 00:30

Broadcast penetration isn't the reason people in the US don't watch F1.

Americans as a general rule are not interested in anything from outside the US in my experience but that is not unique to the US either, other countries have the same issues but generally to a lesser degree. 

#223 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,696 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:56

I am realizing (e.g., by reading the suspension rule clarification thread) that I actually don't want a younger, new audience streaming in. All it means in the internet age is a constant stream of new people believing that any team order they see is the first one, or who are upset by a team asking the governing body about the legality of a proposed design. A.k.a forum hell.

Let F1 die with us.

I think there's a good chance you'll get your wish. And it may be for the best. 

#224 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,696 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:57

Americans as a general rule are not interested in anything from outside the US in my experience but that is not unique to the US either, other countries have the same issues but generally to a lesser degree. 

20-30 years ago that was very much the case. Today? Not at all.

#225 TazioRaikkonen

TazioRaikkonen

• 606 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:00

Wurz hit it on the nail.

500 km/h + around Macau with W 16 turbo injected hybrids with 1500+ BHP.

Think the grandstands will be empty?

Edited by TazioRaikkonen, 04 January 2017 - 03:02.

#226 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 1,856 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:15

Wurz hit it on the nail.

With all due respect...your living in la la land.
Formula 1 as we knew it, is long gone. I'm talking 20 years gone. Forget it.
Either adjust to the current world and grow to enjoy what the current and future shape of Formula 1 will be... or find something else to do.

Anything that resembles 'extreme' is gone. The 'good old days' are dead.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 04 January 2017 - 03:18.

#227 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,696 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:24

Either adjust to the current world and grow to enjoy what the current and future shape of Formula 1 will be... or find something else to do.

Which is why F1 is on the way out unless something changes on the racing side. The rest is just putting lipstick on a pig.

#228 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 1,856 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:34

Which is why F1 is on the way out unless something changes on the racing side. The rest is just putting lipstick on a pig.

110% correct. It is on the way out, the changes we crave as purists have been long gone, this isn't new... but a steady decline.
It will become more about 'the show' I have no doubt. Even now, can we really call it 'racing'? Its very watered down and gimmicky, even at this stage.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 04 January 2017 - 05:13.

#229 loki

loki

• 5,508 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:21

That's a dated stereotype.  The size and demographic diversity of the country has more to do with enjoying home grown sports.

People new to racing don't see it the same way.  There is plenty of racing in F1.  Just not for the lead.  In the US it's the human aspect that's lacking.  In the US there are fans of stock car drivers who will never win a race, fans of stick and ball sports who will never win a championship.  Reducing the emotion and enjoyment to a few cars passing each other doesn't reflect how people engage with what they enjoy.   Fans of Hamilton or Mercedes may not share your idea that the racing is boring.  Your idea of racing and what is exciting is different than what other's may be.  Particularly with respect to those that don't follow it as closely.  It's turning it into a Coke vs. Pepsi argument when the target should be people that aren't currently drinking any cola.

#230 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,696 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:27

I'm not talking about overtaking, but that is a part of it (the quality, not the quantity. Sometimes less is more). There's much more to it than that. Also, unlike others, I don't think a lacking human aspect is one of F1's real problems. In fact, the constant, ongoing soap opera aspect of F1 is one thing that keeps a great many people hanging on and hoping for it to turn around, imho. I get a lot of insight into my favorite drivers in my favorite sport. All the insight in the world to NASCAR drivers isn't going to make me more of a fan of NASCAR.

Edited by AustinF1, 04 January 2017 - 04:44.

#231 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 11,674 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:57

The lack of genuine action on track, and the lack of unpredictability are probably the two things that are hurting the sport more than anything else. Neither of them have easy solutions, but I think some things can be done to improve it, if the will is there.

#232 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,065 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:05

If it's of interest, a quick check and it seems that Time Warner provide a cable service in Cincinnati that includes NBCSN HD for $59.99 per month ($718.88pa), which is for the top-level (non-premium) package

Doesn't sound particularly cheap. I have no idea of what is in that package but if the only thing you wanted is F1 then is it good value?

Edited by Clatter, 04 January 2017 - 09:07.

#233 PilotPlant91

PilotPlant91

• 2,286 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:25

F1 needs COMPETITION.....not two tier championship.....!!

To Hell with being more american........

#234 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,679 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:33

F1 is at least a three tier championship today so a two tier championship would be a step forward though   ;)

#235 pdac

pdac

• 7,425 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:19

Wurz hit it on the nail.

Yes, probably (after a while). It depends on the price of the tickets. There is a certain number of people who would go just to see the cars performing (if they could get closer to the cars, there might be more), but would they all continue to attend for years to come if it costs a lot? You'd need to keep coming up with a better show each time to avoid people saying "seen that, done that".

#236 D28

D28

• 1,437 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 15:00

Doesn't sound particularly cheap. I have no idea of what is in that package but if the only thing you wanted is F1 then is it good value?

To get TV any coverage a package like this is very common; the prices are reasonable and the package probably includes 100 or more channels of news, movies, entertainment etc. (see post 213 above) If NBCSN is included then the races they broadcast would be available, no extra charge, one wouldn't have to add an additional racing channel. And a full program of other sports would be covered.

Not particularly cheap, but cable companies are not in business for the fun of it.  Lots of packages cost much more than  $718/an and people subscribe willingly, it depends on how much TV variety one desires. Nothing to do with F1 will ever be cheap again.

Edited by D28, 04 January 2017 - 15:27.

#237 Marklar

Marklar

• 29,911 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 15:57

Let F1 die with us.

Oh I agree, but as you can see even the 'old' fans are acting this way :p

#238 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,065 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 16:08

To get TV any coverage a package like this is very common; the prices are reasonable and the package probably includes 100 or more channels of news, movies, entertainment etc. (see post 213 above) If NBCSN is included then the races they broadcast would be available, no extra charge, one wouldn't have to add an additional racing channel. And a full program of other sports would be covered.
Not particularly cheap, but cable companies are not in business for the fun of it. Lots of packages cost much more than $718/an and people subscribe willingly, it depends on how much TV variety one desires. Nothing to do with F1 will ever be cheap again.

I suppose whether you view those charges as reasonable or not depends on many factors. In the UK you can certainly spend that amount, or more on satellite TV, and probably similar on cable. Although cable is not available every where and tends to only cover major conurbations. But you can ignore all pay TV and still get 100 or so channels without paying any extra over our TV license. Currently that will still get you half the races live and all on highlights. If F1 wants to maintain its audience I don't believe going behind a paywall is the way to go, at least not in our market.

#239 D28

D28

• 1,437 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 16:51

I suppose whether you view those charges as reasonable or not depends on many factors. In the UK you can certainly spend that amount, or more on satellite TV, and probably similar on cable. Although cable is not available every where and tends to only cover major conurbations. But you can ignore all pay TV and still get 100 or so channels without paying any extra over our TV license. Currently that will still get you half the races live and all on highlights. If F1 wants to maintain its audience I don't believe going behind a paywall is the way to go, at least not in our market.

Very interesting, certainly not the case in Canada. The countries are set up quite differently concerning tv broadcasting, probably geographic distance has some bearing. When Canada had over the air broadcasting huge areas had no coverage, or maybe 1 or 2 channels, even urban centres would have only 10 or so channels, split into French/English. So wiring the vast country with cable was seen as an improvement and allowed the multi channel universe, 100 or 400 channels. So whether F1 goes behind a pay wall is irrelevant here, as it already is the case.

I understand the British comments about pay walls better now thank-you. Also F1 is vastly more popular in Britain than it is ever likely to be in N America and that has considerable bearing on how accessible it is to public viewing.

Advertisement

#240 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,459 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 19:10

What?

Every major US market still has free, digital, Over-the-air broadcasts.  I have an antenna that picks up ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CW, PBS, as well as small local stations.

In Canada,  CBC, CIty, CTV, Global, Omni, TVA, TFO, TVO, Tele-Quebec and V still broadcast OTA, mostly digital, but some still analog.

Mexico has, at least, Canal5 Canal de las Estrellas, Azteca 7, Azteca Trece, Gala and Multimedios Television which broadcast OTA.

To suggest that the ability to make F1 free-to-air is limited by technology is flat out incorrect.  There just has to be a willingness from Liberty to reduce TV income to put it on channels that are available OTA, of which there are plenty of options in USA, Canada and Mexico.  (I'm not bothered enough to check the rest of North America).   

Edited by Frank Tuesday, 04 January 2017 - 19:15.

#241 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 19:23

There just has to be a willingness from Liberty to reduce TV income...

As I said earlier, expecting a company that makes its money from selling expensive subscription television services to be willing to reduce TV income is probably a none starter.

They make make delayed highlights packages available, but I expect that any live free to air services that currently exist will not be renewed as they expire.

#242 D28

D28

• 1,437 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 20:20

What?

Every major US market still has free, digital, Over-the-air broadcasts.  I have an antenna that picks up ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CW, PBS, as well as small local stations.

In Canada,  CBC, CIty, CTV, Global, Omni, TVA, TFO, TVO, Tele-Quebec and V still broadcast OTA, mostly digital, but some still analog.

Mexico has, at least, Canal5 Canal de las Estrellas, Azteca 7, Azteca Trece, Gala and Multimedios Television which broadcast OTA.

To suggest that the ability to make F1 free-to-air is limited by technology is flat out incorrect.  There just has to be a willingness from Liberty to reduce TV income to put it on channels that are available OTA, of which there are plenty of options in USA, Canada and Mexico.  (I'm not bothered enough to check the rest of North America).   

CBC discontinued OTA analogue transmission Aug 2012. Those using an antenna are required to buy a digital converter box to receive a signal, or a tv with digital tuner.I was confusing end of analogue with OTA, my mistake. A link to Toronto paper mentions about 1 m Canadians still want OTA broadcast, a distinct minority now, as most have switched to cable. It also states that sports fans will be poorly served by OTA, as the major channels are on cable only and this would be where F1 resides.

So my point that OTA F1 broadcast is extremely unlikely to be widespread is valid, still. I mentioned before Liberty lowering its price would not necessarily make the broadcasters pass it along. Everything is driven by ratings, and since F1 has extremely low numbers in the US there is little incentive to advertisers to pay for it. It becomes circular, low numbers mean no incentive to be FTA and being not free makes the numbers even lower.

There are consequences for not having a stable USGP in a permanent facility over the past few decades and the low numbers are one.

Canada does have reasonable ratings for F1 (higher than US but not close to UK) mainly because  they have had a permanent GP since 1967.Also a WDC and a runner up  from the same family, has certainly helped.

#243 loki

loki

• 5,508 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 21:10

But you can ignore all pay TV and still get 100 or so channels without paying any extra over our TV license.

The disconnect is that you don't consider your TV license as pay TV.  But it is, you have to pay to be able to watch TV.  That is the very definition of pay TV, paying to watch TV.  Basic cable is between US$40-50 a month.  In the US many if not most markets basic package will have the primary sports channels.   In all markets over the air TV content is provided at no cost.  Most providers now bundle TV, VOIP phone (for those that still use land lines) and internet.  Culturally the US and UK are at different places when it comes to consuming content but also in the business models that provide the content.

The current UK license is about US$15/month using today's exchange rate.  I think you could make an argument that the quality of the programming included with your license might be better (and that's debatable)  In our market for about US$65/month you get 200+ channels, phone, basic speed internet.  This includes on demand, online access to most of the programming in your subscription on any device, HD (we really don't have any new content that's not HD) and a basic DVR.  For a bit more I can get a remote that takes voice commands.  That means I can watch F1 live, streamed on a device or record it and watch later.  If I forget to set the DVR I can remotely log in and have it set to record.  Though these days the replays are stored on demand so the only advantage using a DVR is that I'm not consuming bandwidth though I am filling the DVR hard drive.

#244 loki

loki

• 5,508 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 21:16

CBC discontinued OTA analogue transmission Aug 2012. Those using an antenna are required to buy a digital converter box to receive a signal, or a tv with digital tuner.I was confusing end of analogue with OTA, my mistake. 

It's the same down here, all broadcast TV has been digital for five years or so.  You haven't been able to get a TV with a built in analog tuner since before then.  There was a period where they were broadcasting in both digital and analog.  For a while they were giving rebates on analog converter boxes that would cover the cost of the box.  When they did the switch it was estimated that those that didn't have a digital compatible TV were in the low single digits.  Except for those that are most financially compromised, many have a good TV as it's the centerpiece of their entertainment even if they don't have cable.  

#245 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 3,765 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 22:28

Wurz hit it on the nail.

Very probably - given the Safety Elf will insist they are positioned so far from the track that you would need a telescope to see anything....

#246 TazioRaikkonen

TazioRaikkonen

• 606 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 22:34

110% correct. It is on the way out, the changes we crave as purists have been long gone, this isn't new... but a steady decline.
It will become more about 'the show' I have no doubt. Even now, can we really call it 'racing'? Its very watered down and gimmicky, even at this stage.

The teams should leave and start their own series then. This is a depressing comment you made.

Surely fans don't care about prestige and entertainment? Its about the purest racing. Anybody could host that and film it on TV with some decent cash....

Edited by TazioRaikkonen, 04 January 2017 - 22:38.

#247 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 1,856 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 22:40

The teams should leave and start their own series then. This is a depressing comment you made.

Surely fans don't care about prestige and entertainment? Its about the finest drivers or purest racing. Anybody could host that and film it on TV with some decent cash....

I don't disagree. As a long time fan its really depressing...but its reality.

Just like the world in general it has permanently changed for the worse.

#248 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,065 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 23:13

The disconnect is that you don't consider your TV license as pay TV. But it is, you have to pay to be able to watch TV. That is the very definition of pay TV, paying to watch TV. Basic cable is between US$40-50 a month. In the US many if not most markets basic package will have the primary sports channels. In all markets over the air TV content is provided at no cost. Most providers now bundle TV, VOIP phone (for those that still use land lines) and internet. Culturally the US and UK are at different places when it comes to consuming content but also in the business models that provide the content.

The current UK license is about US$15/month using today's exchange rate. I think you could make an argument that the quality of the programming included with your license might be better (and that's debatable) In our market for about US$65/month you get 200+ channels, phone, basic speed internet. This includes on demand, online access to most of the programming in your subscription on any device, HD (we really don't have any new content that's not HD) and a basic DVR. For a bit more I can get a remote that takes voice commands. That means I can watch F1 live, streamed on a device or record it and watch later. If I forget to set the DVR I can remotely log in and have it set to record. Though these days the replays are stored on demand so the only advantage using a DVR is that I'm not consuming bandwidth though I am filling the DVR hard drive.

Its not a disconnect, I agree it is pay TV, unfortunately that fee is also compulsory. The quality of the BBC is not always as good as it used to be, but at least we get it without having to watch endless ads. I do think we have to pay over the odds for our broadband and telephone, and broadband coverage can be patchy at best. Cities and large towns are generally well served, but if you live a bit further out it's another matter.

#249 Nathan

Nathan

• 4,691 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 00:00

:confused:  I think it is Europe that promotes the multi-tier sports.  Few in America care about second tier anything, so I don't think it's an American concept..

#250 ANF

ANF

• 8,558 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 00:01

Really?

Posted on 20th June 2016, 12:11
Keith Collantine

Williams reached record levels of performance for speed on the track and in the pits during the European Grand Prix weekend ...

The combination of Mercedes power, Williams’ efficient chassis and the longest flat-out section on an F1 circuit produced unofficially the highest speed ever seen during an official F1 session. Valtteri Bottas clocked 378kph (234.9mph) during qualifying.