Luigi de Filippis

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 wsp77

wsp77

• 75 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 19:36

Hi everyone

Does anyone know if the Maserati driver Luigi de Filippis is still alive? If so he would be 95 today.

He entered the 1950 Italian GP in a Maserati 4CLT but did not participate, but was more active prior to the World Championship I believe?

Thanks 

Advertisement

#2 JoBo

JoBo

• 473 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 23:57

Hi everyone

Does anyone know if the Maserati driver Luigi de Filippis is still alive? If so he would be 95 today.

He entered the 1950 Italian GP in a Maserati 4CLT but did not participate, but was more active prior to the World Championship I believe?

Thanks 

According to my infos he died about 15 years ago.

JoBo

#3 Boniver

Boniver

• 589 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:21

It was the brother from Maria Teresa de Filippis

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 16:53

In this earlier thread it was suggested that Luigi was a cousin of Maria Teresa, and that she had a brother who raced named Antonio:

The de Filippis family

#5 wsp77

wsp77

• 75 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 18:32

Thanks everyone, I always thought he was Maria's brother. Interesting to know that he has passed away sadly.

#6 nexfast

nexfast

• 984 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 21:42

Thanks everyone, I always thought he was Maria's brother. Interesting to know that he has passed away sadly.

I was also convinced he was her brother until I read her bio by Cesare d'Agostini that describes the 5 children of Franz and Narcisa de Filippis: Paolo, Anna Maria, Antonio, Giuseppe and Maria Teresa. Or, so I thought because a few pages away in a photo caption the author mentions her brothers Antonio and Luigi who were also racers. If the biographer himself confounds names whom can we trust?  But the cousin theory of Jimmy Piget in the other thread might make sense.

#7 Gabrci

Gabrci

• 655 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:23

Theo would know, and he's on FB.

#8 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:06

In Stefano Chiminellis book about Maria Teresa the racing brothers are also named Giuseppe and Antonio.

No mentioning of Luigi, though.

Ralf

#9 wsp77

wsp77

• 75 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:12

Thanks everyone for your replies.

So I have learnt two things since I posted; Luigi is no longer with us and he is not Maria's brother.

#10 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 17:24

Responding to an enquiry from Howden Ganley, Theo Huschek replied as follows:

in Maria Teresa’s family there was no Luigi de Filippis.
From Naples Automobile Club I received the note, never ever was a Luigi de Filippis entered in a Grand Prix.

There was Maria Teresa’s elder brother Antonio de Filippis who also raced, but not in a F1 Grand Prix.

The name de Filippis, De Filippis and/or Defilippis is not very rare especially in the south of Italy.

There are several registered in google.

In Maria Teresa’s family was father Franz de Filippis (the count of Serino),

Antonio, Paolo and Giuseppe de Filippis brothers of Maria Teresa,

and then was Giuseppe’s son Franz de Filippis jun.

No other masculin names in the family.

Under Luigi De Filippis you find a number of individuals, but no one was racing.

That’s what I found out.

There are a few more informations to come, but only next week.

Sorry

BR
Theo

#11 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 21:18

Has anyone contacted Graham Gauld?. I know he knew Maria Theresa very well, ISTR she entrusted her photo archive to him, and presumably he knew/knows the family
Roger Lund

#12 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 781 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 23:05

In my databases I find mostly Maria Teresa de Filippis. But on monopostos, there are 4 entries for Luigi de Filippis, never in a Grand Prix. Three times with a Ferrari 166 C,'49 Garda, '50 Caracalla and '51 Napoli. And once on Maserati 4CLT/48-1603, result 6th at Pescara.

Antonio de Filippis I have twice in Sports cars, '48 (Fiat 1100) and '49 (Lancia Aprilia) both Targa Florio.

In that same period, M.T. was mostly seen in 750cc Sports cars, Urania and Giaur.

#13 JoBo

JoBo

• 473 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:58

In my databases I find mostly Maria Teresa de Filippis. But on monopostos, there are 4 entries for Luigi de Filippis, never in a Grand Prix. Three times with a Ferrari 166 C,'49 Garda, '50 Caracalla and '51 Napoli. And once on Maserati 4CLT/48-1603, result 6th at Pescara.

Antonio de Filippis I have twice in Sports cars, '48 (Fiat 1100) and '49 (Lancia Aprilia) both Targa Florio.

In that same period, M.T. was mostly seen in 750cc Sports cars, Urania and Giaur.

Theo is wrong - there was in fact a Luigi de Filippis racing a Maserati 4CLT, chassis #1603, in some races. And the type 4CLT was a GP-car!

JoBo

#14 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:17

Another little twist to the story from Theo via Howden.....

My journalist says it is very likely that Luigi de Filippis born the same day as Antonio de Filippis and also listed in the Targa Florio race where Antonio raced, once together with Maria Teresa,
does not exist. It is Antonio de Filippis, Maria Teresa’s elder brother. Seems there was an error when registering Luigi instead of Antonio.
BTR
Theo

#15 wsp77

wsp77

• 75 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 15:17

Wow, interesting twists and turns here! Does this mean that Antonio de Filippis entered the 1950 Italian GP in a Maserati 4CLT?

#16 Dan Axelsson

Dan Axelsson

• 92 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:05

Hi!

Do we have a date of birth (and maybe death) for Antonio de Filippis? I guess Naples is the place of birth. Maybe Theo knows?

Thanks.

#17 19500513

• 43 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:59

Hi Everyone!

Is there any update on this topic?

Since the last post here I also written to Graham Gauld, he was quite concise with me what I can understand because I am just a foreign anyway...

He answered only, both of Antonio and Luigi died already but I am confused that Luigi was a real person?!

Thanks

#18 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 07:42

What  Giraffe wrote three years ago is correct     Maria-Teresa had three brothers Paulo  then  Ahntonio - he was the one who raced with a 166 Ferrari in one or two local Italian events, and Giuseppe who was the second youngest in the family. Maria-Teresa was the youngest, her older sister being Anna-Maria. There is one book written by Cesare de Agostini in Italian and English and another more recent soft cover and mainly picture book by Stefano Chiminelli   The de Agostini book is  "LA Signorina F.1 "

#19 19500513

• 43 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:50

Thank you for your feedback, I am especially happy that you answered for my raised question.

As for Maria Teresa de Filippis' family, it is clear.

As for Luigi de Filippis, for me the question is still open (sorry for my slow reaction)

What is unclear with him:

-Was he a real person, who was not part of Maria Teresa's family?

-Was a format error on the entry list (here I mean the 1950's Italian GP) and he should be either Giuseppe or Antonio?

Thank you in advance

Edited by 19500513, 27 July 2020 - 07:16.

Advertisement

#20 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:12

I suppose none of the three brothers de Filippis had a second name Luigi? 

I have known people who used their second name for various reasons.  I had a friend called Fred, but it turned out his actual first name was Adolf, which he didn't use for obvious reasons - not least because he was Jewish.