- - - - -

Victory Motorcycles gone.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 2,292 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 16:54

For some reason I cannot paste the news link so you will have to check for your self.

After they developed the road race special for Pikes Peak, this is the last thing I expected to  hear.

Advertisement

#2 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 18:19

Were they not mainly building very expensive Harley type bikes for  years?  Not my thing but a big market in lots of countries I guess? Especially the US, been around for a while, so quite shocked they have gone after being fairly established.

#3 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 5,656 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 22:16

http://amcn.com.au/e...les-operations/

Several factors influenced today’s announcement. Victory has struggled to establish the market share needed to succeed and be profitable. The competitive pressures of a challenging motorcycle market have increased the headwinds for the brand. Given the significant additional investments required for Victory to launch new global platforms that meet changing consumer preferences, and considering the strong performance and growth potential of Indian Motorcycle, the decision to more narrowly focus Polaris’ energy and investments became quite clear.

“This decision will improve the profitability of Polaris and our global motorcycle business, and will materially improve our competitive stance in the industry,” said Scott Wine. “Our focus is on profitable growth, and in an environment of finite resources, this move allows us to optimize and align our resources behind both our premium, high performing Indian Motorcycle brand and our innovative Slingshot brand, enhancing our focus on accelerating the success of those brands. Ultimately this decision will propel the industry-leading product innovation that is core to our strategy while fostering long-term growth and increased shareholder value.”

#4 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,072 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:47

Indian ate their lunch because, at the end of the day, it had what Victory did not live to build - a heritage brand. Once Polaris had the Indian marque, it was only a matter of time. People don't buy Harley because they're technological leaders or amazing products, they buy them because they're Harley. They have an image and a brand. Same with Indian. Victory doesn't, the quality amd overall "worthiness" of their product aside. But people don't buy quality and worthiness.

It's too bad, I always liked Victory once they found their identity.

#5 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 15:14

Me too, I think they looked more modern and cool than tractors; sorry Harleys.!

#6 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,072 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:05

Cool is pretty subjective, but more modern? Absolutely. And by design. Victory was free of any image apart from "being American". They could position themselves anyway they wished, and build from there. I thought they'd genuinely established themselves as a long-term brand. I'm disappointed if only because the two American brands are now nostalgia bikes. Like resto-mods.

#7 Cynan

Cynan

• 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 17:48

new indian scout looks nice simple and with good details and an al. chassis

#8 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 2,292 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 16:53

It's too bad, I always liked Victory once they found their identity.

Sadly that is what they never accomplished from what one business article said in a magazine.

The new engine and  bike for Pikes Peak was a day late and dollars short.

#9 Cynan

Cynan

• 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 19:08

pikes peak bike was a collaboration with roland sands as well..i well known customizer who has race experience as a rider