Photo

Rennmax - and their creator, Bob Britton

• Please log in to reply
458 replies to this topic

#451 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,863 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 00:53

That Mustang ute has the same problem that many conversions do not have, an opening tailgate. It is not the only one. there is a few in the US and one in England as well.

Totally off topic a woman has done a Tesla ute as well. It was in the paper, info I am sure gleaned from You Tube as it is there currently.

Advertisement

#452 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 1,466 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 23:29

1-B300-F92-B331-42-E9-8653-3-ADA5348-B1-

This may be a rare find in the photos I took at Warwick Farm on 2nd May 1970 during practice.

This is the Rennmax Ford 1600 of Geoff Anderson, in its only

appearance in NSW when he owned it.

I have no pictures of the car from race day, which is most probably a result of me concentrating on

other races to conserve film.

Old Racing Cars website has this information on the car.

https://www.oldracin...om/rennmax/bn3/

#453 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,648 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 13:54

Thanks for that pic, Lynton...

Britto's currently preparing to be swamped by HRSCC members this coming weekend, about fifty or so are expected to turn out and he has a couple of his cars running so they can see them in action.

Progress with the Maserati lookalike has seen the chassis sandblasted and pained, reassembly has begun with things like brake lines fitted up and so on.

#454 TerryS

TerryS

• 603 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 23:26

Thanks for that pic, Lynton...

Progress with the Maserati lookalike has seen the chassis sandblasted and pained, reassembly has begun with things like brake lines fitted up and so on.

Slightly OT, but for interest here is an ad for a Maserati 300S Replica

https://vintageracec...ecars-for-sale/

#455 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,648 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 00:20

Reports from Annangrove show that the crowd visiting Bob yesterday was bigger than was expected...

I'm told that just over a hundred arrived and there was a lot of catching-up chatter among people who rarely get to see each other. Someone also took their car along to join with the others Bob has built.

Bob finished the day delighted to have had everyone there, though he felt he'd like to have had more one-on-one time with each of them.

Among the crowd were some we know here, I've seen a photo of Bob with Brian Lear.

A barbecue cooked plenty of sausages. When the snags arrived, Bob looked at the quantity and said, "What are you going to do with all of those, you won't need that many, surely?" But need they did, just two sausages left at the end of the day, while they ran out of bread rolls and one of the sons-in-law had to go up to the local shop to buy more.

Bob's daughters and their respective spouses took along cakes and it seems everyone was well-satisfied.

This morning Bob said he felt very good about the whole thing, but his thanks went to Kerry Smith and the others who did the work and organised things so Bob just had to prepare the cars.

I'm hoping someone will turn up with photos...

#456 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,648 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:51

Dave Williamson was the one who did a lot of work to put together the HSRCA visit to Bob Britton's shed on Saturday. He's sent me a couple of photos taken there by Bill Forsyth:

0819frbillforsythkidin500.jpg
A lucky kid gets to sit in the 500cc car and drive it up and down the driveway. Here it seems Bob is briefing him on the controls.

0819fr-Billforsythbrittopalm.jpg
A most appropriate caption to this pic would be, "Bob has them eating out of the palm of his hand..."

#457 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,648 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:02

Pat has sent through further progress pics of the Maserati lookalike...

0919-PCbrittoinmaserati.jpg

0919-PCbrittoplayingdriver.jpg

Britto sitting in the new seat he's made, and play-acting without a steering wheel.

0919-PCcockpit.jpg

The cockpit still has a bit of work to be done.

0919-PCenginebay.jpg

The engine bay with exhausts showing on the left side, looking more complete now.

0919-PCfrontview.jpg

Original Commodore radiator right up front, the new swirlpot in place.

0919-PCLFcornerandrack.jpg

Left front corner showing brakes and rack and pinion.

0919-PCLRcorner.jpg

Left rear corner showing Bob's method of making a de Dion rear end from a more conventional suspension.

0919-PCpedalassembly.jpg

The pedal assembly is complete and set up with balance bar.

0919-PCrearaxleassembly.jpg

Driveshafts still have to be completed, but otherwise the rear end is in place.

0919-PCRHexhaust.jpg

The right hand exhaust features in this pic.

0919-PCRightfront.jpg

So it's coming together now, progress on little things being seen each week.

#458 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,648 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:53

And the engineering job of shortening the driveshafts has been completed today...

We should have pics within a few days.

#459 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,648 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:37

As promised...

My visit coincided with some wet weather, something we're not used to here lately. The birds were wet but still hungry...

0919wetbirds.jpg

...and the lens subject to some fogging, too.

The (ex-BMW) electric fan has been fitted to the new car:

0919radiatorfan.jpg

Bob considers this to be important as there are always times when an engine needs to be running while the car's not moving. It's spaced away from the fan with some nice pieces of plywood he's cut out with the bandsaw.

Here's something I didn't realise before. Bob's wheels have been the subject of a few posts, but these were special wheels he made for the last BN2 (BT14 replica), and I can't at this time find a pic of a complete wheel. Bob's pursuit of the ideal wheel that's not wholly cast dates back to the late sixties, first with the 'monocoque' wheels, then the split-rim design, but for this car he had these patterns made by someone with a 3D printer:

0919wheelpattern1.jpg

0919wheelpattern2.jpg

He then went off in pursuit of someone who spun rim sections to suit. Finally he found them just around the corner from his place!

Meanwhile, he was very happy with the 3D printing method of making a pattern.

Edited by Ray Bell, Yesterday, 20:41.