Photo

Rennmax - and their creator, Bob Britton

• Please log in to reply
422 replies to this topic

#301 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 00:42

Mark Bisset has sent me this photo (photographer unknown), which jogs memories...

0718alfabathurst.jpg

While Bob didn't have anything to do with tintops, he did supply wheels to the 'Alfa Dealer Team' for their 1975 assault on the ATCC...

Some of these passed on to Peter Wherrett's 1976 Bathurst car.

In the meantime, the front-engined racer's chassis is due back from the sandblaster's and the suspension bits have just gone off for plating. Bob is working on a case to contain the drop gears on the nose of the final drive.

Edited by Ray Bell, 10 July 2018 - 00:47.

Advertisement

#302 TerryS

TerryS

• 548 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:42

I was just in the local chemist picking up a prescription and ran into Mal Brewster.

He ran a Rennmax BN2 in the mid seventies as follows:

http://autopics.com....r-lance-ruting/

http://autopics.com....r-lance-ruting/

#303 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 186 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:46

It's a neat chisel nose side radiator conversion Terry, don't recall ever seeing that car south of the Murray.
I was wondering how Bob made his wheels Ray- they seem very delicate for touring car application?? Great looking things.
Mark

#304 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 13:33

They do seem delicate, but so do BBS wheels when you look at them closely...

Remember that when Bob was going through the gestation period of the BN7 he was looking at building a car that wasn't a replica of anything, as he had done with the BN6 sports car.

The BN6 had the monocoque wheels, but they represented just too much work and were easily damaged. Bob was never keen on cast wheels as castings don't totally lend themselves to every part of a wheel's construction.

His first step in wheel-making for the BN7 was an attempt to roll a rim in aluminium, just as steel rims are rolled and welded together for road cars. This didn't work, as I recall, because the aluminium simply wouldn't stay on track as it was being rolled.

Then, thinking outside the box, as he did with a number of things on the BN7, he rolled a flat piece of aluminium to form a cylinder and welded it. This went off to metal spinners to have the inner bead detail formed at one end and a simple inward-facing flange on the other.

Three alloy castings were involved. The four-spoke centre with a flange at the end of the spokes to enable it to be rivetted to the rim; a slim simple ring which slipped inside the flange to enable the third piece, the most visible piece of the wheel, which was the outer bead and slipped over the outer edge of the cylinder and down over the flange to be bolted on. From memory there was an O-ring involved, but most likely this reverted to silicone sealant most of the time.

The wheel, like the Costa wheels from Melbourne, had to be unbolted to change tyres as there was no well base.

And yes, they do look good...

Edited by Ray Bell, 10 July 2018 - 13:39.

#305 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,268 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 00:06

Few BN7 shots. Great looking car. He did a terrific job on those wheels.2204-_R-_Renm-77-lo.jpg2210-_R-_Flem-77-lo.jpg5083_N_Mied_75-lo.jpg

#306 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:15

Thanks, Lindsay...

That looks a lot like Erol Richardson walking alongside Andrew Miedecke's back wheel carrying the spray bottle. Which I guess is to richen the mixture to start with the Lucas mechanical injection.

Which reminds me. Erol did say on the second page of this thread that he'd "post some thoughts' on his own Rennmax if he can find the time. I do hope he finds the time.

I must check with Bob to find out whose car the Fleming one was. It's not the Heasman car, which had a longer tub, it could be Switzer's Miedecke's, Quartly's or Sicardi's. The engine cover was definitely not original.

#307 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,643 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:51

Few BN7 shots. Great looking car. He did a terrific job on those wheels.2204-_R-_Renm-77-lo.jpg2210-_R-_Flem-77-lo.jpg5083_N_Mied_75-lo.jpg

But who is sitting in the car? That is not Andrew.

#308 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,268 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:07

Yes that's Andrew Lee. 

#309 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,268 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:12

The Fleming car could be the Miedecke machine Ray. Andrew of course is an expat Tassy and may have known the Flemings from those early days. He was an official at Symmons from memory and from the North of the state as were the Flemings from memory.

All conjecture of course but you never know - lot of Tassys stick together and network etc.

#310 jcurran

jcurran

• 50 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:15

The Fleming car could be the Miedecke machine Ray. Andrew of course is an expat Tassy and may have known the Flemings from those early days. He was an official at Symmons from memory and from the North of the state as were the Flemings from memory.

All conjecture of course but you never know - lot of Tassys stick together and network etc.

The Fleming car was the Miedecke car. 

#311 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:36

Thanks for the confirmation of that...

We should raise a query... where are all the others?

I think there are pics of the Heasman car at Historic events earlier in this thread, but out of five cars we don't have much of a presence today.

Mind you, Bob does have some severely rusted and bent chassis sections in one of his sheds, leftovers from Andrew's serious campaign in '75.

#312 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,643 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:33

Yes that's Andrew Lee. 

I have met him a few times, we shared a garage [James Rosenberg team] at Sandown with his Kevin Waldock  team late 90s and later in Middletons Camaro and he looks totally different then and now.

#313 Librules

Librules

• 169 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:43

We all look a little different after 20 years or so, Lee.    Remove the sunnies and hair, and there's no doubt it's Andrew - plenty of period pics show a similar visage....

#314 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 186 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:44

Wow, great shots of the BN7 Lindsay.
At the time I started racing Vees in '79 Doug or Ron Trim ran a BN7 in Victoria, not sure which car that was? Have you an article of yours on the BN6/7 Ray??
Mark

#315 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 186 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:46

They do seem delicate, but so do BBS wheels when you look at them closely...

Remember that when Bob was going through the gestation period of the BN7 he was looking at building a car that wasn't a replica of anything, as he had done with the BN6 sports car.

The BN6 had the monocoque wheels, but they represented just too much work and were easily damaged. Bob was never keen on cast wheels as castings don't totally lend themselves to every part of a wheel's construction.

His first step in wheel-making for the BN7 was an attempt to roll a rim in aluminium, just as steel rims are rolled and welded together for road cars. This didn't work, as I recall, because the aluminium simply wouldn't stay on track as it was being rolled.

Then, thinking outside the box, as he did with a number of things on the BN7, he rolled a flat piece of aluminium to form a cylinder and welded it. This went off to metal spinners to have the inner bead detail formed at one end and a simple inward-facing flange on the other.

Three alloy castings were involved. The four-spoke centre with a flange at the end of the spokes to enable it to be rivetted to the rim; a slim simple ring which slipped inside the flange to enable the third piece, the most visible piece of the wheel, which was the outer bead and slipped over the outer edge of the cylinder and down over the flange to be bolted on. From memory there was an O-ring involved, but most likely this reverted to silicone sealant most of the time.

The wheel, like the Costa wheels from Melbourne, had to be unbolted to change tyres as there was no well base.

And yes, they do look good...

#316 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 186 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:53

Marvellous wheels and there were a lot made in Oz at the time weren't there; Tony Simmons, Mawer Engineering, Mario Costa's as you say Ray went on Cheetahs. Matich and Elfin both Commonwealth Aircraft Corp cast ? ,Bowin also CAC cast ?, Birrana - who made those?, ditto Kaditcha ? . Then their is the stuff made for taxis of course. Interesting.

#317 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 4,718 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:00

Elfins definitely cast at CAC, as were their uprights and quite possibly oil filter heads & gearbox spacer plates. I know of a few cars that still have the CAC batch numbers stamped on their uprights!

#318 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,643 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 23:36

Lots of composite race wheels made in Oz over the last 50 plus years. ASP, Hopwood and many others besides the others mentioned.

These days there is no metal spinners left to actually form them. Whitehorse Industries in Melbourne are the only ones selling wheels and they may be brought in from overseas. Performance Wheels are dabbling, everything is imported.

All the speedway stuff is and where they are actually rolled is debateable. 

Once upon a time not very long ago metal spinners were in most capital cities as well as foundrys casting up centres. And ofcourse we had road wheels made here in SA by many manufacturers. Who made cast alloy wheels as well for motorsports, Magnum, Aunger, Globe, ROH among others.

ROH are doing dribs and drabs for Toyota still but that is about it. Everything is made overseas, and the waits to actually get them is a real problem.

I have around 50 wheels on back order over 2 manufacturers.

#319 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 00:06

From memory, Lee, the ASP wheels also had to be dismantled to fit tyres, didn't they?

Those and Costas, IIRC, had rim sections which bolted onto each side of the centre and no wellbase.

Advertisement

#320 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 186 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:50

Such a same Lee, didn't realise in the hey day there were so many- Geoff Walters did a good trade in FF alloys for a while too- makes me wonder what Mike Borland fits to his Spectrums now. He will have to use a 'road wheel' on his FF's but will have more choice on the F2000's he exports, mighty fine jiggers that they are too;
https://borlandracing.com/

#321 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,643 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:18

Geoff Walters made Rebel wheels, originally also made in Adelaide.  I have heard rumors that he may have the tooling back again. Unconfirmed.

Borland has been using Performance Superlites in fairly recent times. A quite light version however.

And Ray, Asp wheels [Now Randy Race Rims] are all as far as I know 'normal' wheels. I have used those halves in 15" [with Hopwood/Concorde centres for my Supermodified and many Sports Sedans used them in 13" . And Sports Cars as well. 2bob Collinson uses them as does Doig sometimes.

Brian from Randy wheels is the one that has told me of the lack of metal spinners these days.

#322 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 4,718 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:53

Bob’s work on the Matich Lotus 19B may already have been mentioned here, these are Frank’s words on the subject

C4_CC3_E5_B-_FA8_C-42_C7-_A410-45_CD195_picture upload sites

#323 Fred.R

Fred.R

• 80 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:31

Marvellous wheels and there were a lot made in Oz at the time weren't there; Tony Simmons, Mawer Engineering, Mario Costa's as you say Ray went on Cheetahs. Matich and Elfin both Commonwealth Aircraft Corp cast ? ,Bowin also CAC cast ?, Birrana - who made those?, ditto Kaditcha ? . Then their is the stuff made for taxis of course. Interesting.

Mark the wheels have been covered here https://forums.autos...n made wheels

there is a photo of Rennmax wheels in this add http://www.my105.com...gDetails/id/719

Edited by Fred.R, 15 July 2018 - 07:34.

#324 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 186 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:04

Oops- and thanks Fred- fascinating thread, had not seen the one on the wheels.

Mark

#325 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:19

Nice finds, gentlemen...

The BN7 ad gives us a chance to capture detail pics of the BN7 (which I think should be called a BN7A):

Front chassis section, a spaceframe with provision for secure rivetting of the monocoque section which forms the centre of the chassis:

0718fr_My105_BN7frontspaceframe.jpg

0718fr_My105_BN7front.jpg

The uprights were all the work of Bob, his machining and welding. All his own work...

0718fr_My105_BN7suspensionbits.jpg

And here are the wheels, you can see how the centre casting is rivetted to the rims:

0718fr_My105_BN7wheels.jpg

When you look at the car you can readily see how much more robust it was than the Birranas against which it raced.

Edited by Ray Bell, 15 July 2018 - 11:26.

#326 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 186 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:07

Fantastic Ray,
The obvious question is why conceptually Bob chose spaceframe front and rear sections and an ally mono mid section? A totally different approach to the paradigm of the day.
Which chassis is the one shown?
Mark

#327 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 13:50

I think it boiled down to the practicality of each type of medium...

The mono section where the cockpit presents a large opening gave strength in those circumstances, the spaceframe areas were where they had to cope with lots of attachments, suspension pickups etc.

#328 TerryS

TerryS

• 548 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:52

Fantastic Ray,
The obvious question is why conceptually Bob chose spaceframe front and rear sections and an ally mono mid section? A totally different approach to the paradigm of the day.
Which chassis is the one shown?
Mark

Ray, do you happen to know the answer to Mark’s second question?

#329 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:37

Sorry, forgot to add this...

The link to the my105 site brings up a pic of Andrew Miedecke at Oran Park and body photos from when it was in Fleming's hands.

#330 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 13:40

Posted recently on Facebook, and credited to Melinda Sexton, there's discussion about which Rennmax this might be...

0718fr_MBand_FBgreen_BN1.jpg

Some say it might be Don Baker's. Very indicative of the early sixties period somewhere on the North Shore of Sydney, I'd suggest.

#331 rms

rms

• 141 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 23:07

Appears to have a "long" rear upright ? ....... upright extends below the wheel rim ? Wheels are obviously 13" dia.

Is this the Small car fitted with 13" rear wheels instead of the 15" that were intended for the "long" upright ? So far as I know the Small car was the only Rennmax fitted with the "long" upright and Lola 15" rear wheels. Body was also black.

Erol

#332 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 13:02

A good observation, Erol...

I will show the pic to Bob next week. Is there any chance you could be caught up with while I'm in Sydney?

I'm also keen to see you 'post some thoughts' on your own Rennmax. Any chance? Maybe photos too?

#333 rms

rms

• 141 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 13:33

Will be a bit hard to catch up Ray ......... I am in the process of moving to Hervey Bay Qld .... leaving Batemans Bay on 2nd August.

I will post some thoughts with pics. (promise !)

Say G'day to Britto for me ..... Bobby Muir is keen for that Maser 300s "look alike" to have a Lexus V8 !

Erol

#334 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 22:15

He'd have a spare one lying around, of course...

I now understand that you owned the car in the pic above. Starting with Warren Small (of Small's Chocolates) it went to Ron Woodbridge and it's now with Ron again. Britto told me the other day that one of the hands it passed through was yours.

Yes, it started out with Lola rear wheels which were lying around somewhere. But I'm sure you didn't use 15s on the rear, so that would have meant changes to the rear end, right?

#335 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 476 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:11

I'm not sure whether the "quote" procedure on this forum still works for me. Plus I'm late to the party -  I haven't looked at this thread for a while.

Anyway, it should be mentioned that whilst the Rennmax wheels do look fantastic they did not work well on Alfa Romeo touring cars, which admittedly were almost twice the weight of the formula cars they were originally designed for.

The Tim Schenken Alfa rollover accident at McPhillamy Park during the closing stages of the 1975 Bathurst 1000 was attributed to a broken Rennmax wheel and I believe that there were other Rennmax wheel failures on Alfas.

At the 1976 Bathurst 1000 Ron Gillard turned up to race the Gil Gordon entered Alfa 2000 GTV with Graham Harrison. He first caught sight of the car sitting on its Rennmax wheels and said; 'I'm not racing it unless you change the wheels.' They raced the GTV with Simmons Wheels.

Bill Magoffin who now owns the Gil Gordon 2000 GTV has a set (or two) of Rennmax wheels and whilst he is happy to display the car on those wheels he will never race on them....

#336 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:58

Originally posted by rms
.....Say G'day to Britto for me ..... Bobby Muir is keen for that Maser 300s "look alike" to have a Lexus V8!

Erol

I now know what this is about, Erol...

Bob hadn't mentioned to be until today about the proposed next project. The 300S bodies in 'glass by Les need an appropriate chassis and Bob can make that standing on his ear. The proposal is to use a Commodore V6 engine with 5-speed manual gearbox.

All brought about, of course, because Bob had to source another Commodore auto trans for the V6-powered 'bulging' Seven and thus there's a car here waiting to be stripped. And as I'm here too, I'm expecting to have some fun spinning nuts and bolts off and working the engine crane tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'll be taking photos of the front-engined openwheeler chassis with paint on, the completed drop gear case as mounted on the diff and other progress pics.

#337 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 21:07

The question posed by Mark regarding the BN7s...

Bob's explanation was much as I surmised earlier - the open cockpit section of the car is the weakest part of the chassis and a monocoque section there gives strength not easily achieved with a spaceframe.

This design pattern was first used by Bob on the BN6 Sports Cars, those of Doug Macarthur, Ray Hanger and Lionel Ayers. And he tells me he was 'inspired' to do this by the layout of the D-Type Jaguar chassis.

Edited by Ray Bell, 03 August 2018 - 11:30.

#338 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:37

On Saturday, August 4, members of the Sprite Car Club were invited to a day out at the Rennmax 'works'...

Saturdays, of course, are the days on which various friends of the management gather to talk, do little jobs and enjoy the company of Bob. So there was quite a crowd on hand, with Bob Winley's report telling us more:

Technical Day.

The Sprite Car Club turned out on a crisp Saturday morning for a “technical day”, a happy gathering with Bob Britton and some of his friends to tyre-kick Bob’s collection of Rennmax cars and to poke about in his workshop and sheds. The front yard filled up with Sprites and the odd MGB or MGY. At the rear, Bob had about ten of his cars on display so there were plenty of interesting design features for all to marvel at and discuss at length.

0818fr_RWcrowdandcars.jpg

To help answer questions, Ray Eldershaw was there along with me and Bob’s fibreglass man, Les Puklowski and Kerry Smith who helped with parking and supplied printed descriptions of nine of Bob’s displayed cars. The Club served welcome bacon and egg rolls. Many bucks and moulds were stored here and there and old sample Lotus chassis and Rennmax jigs, fixtures and patterns could be studied. Bob was kept busy answering questions for almost three hours and accepted the Club’s lavish thanks with his characteristic modesty.

0818fr_RWbrittoineastwestcar.jpg

Bob driving the incomplete BN9. (Corolla engine, De Dion rear end, pushrod front end).

Bob Winley. 2018

Every report I've had is that it was a tremendously successful day. Pat Clarke was present too and has been having serious thoughts of making visits to the Rennmax 'works' a semi-regular event.

#339 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 4,718 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 20:28

F022_AE8_A-3_E69-4319-9455-_F41819064_D6

Noel Bryan’s BN1 at Winton’s FOS this Sunday just gone, showing the tyre marks deposited by Danny Ciarma’s Lynx the day before.

Advertisement

#340 TerryS

TerryS

• 548 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 00:01

On Saturday, August 4, members of the Sprite Car Club were invited to a day out at the Rennmax 'works'...

Saturdays, of course, are the days on which various friends of the management gather to talk, do little jobs and enjoy the company of Bob. So there was quite a crowd on hand, with Bob Winley's report telling us more:

Every report I've had is that it was a tremendously successful day. Pat Clarke was present too and has been having serious thoughts of making visits to the Rennmax 'works' a semi-regular event.

Ray what is the red car #26?

It almost looks like an Elfin 600.

#341 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:33

It's the second BN2, Terry...

You recall that one only was built for Max Stewart, this one was built much more recently, some time in the past 15 years, and carries a modern Japanese engine. It's one of Bob's personal collection and has been spoken for should he ever want to sell it.

#342 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 186 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:19

What a wonderful event Ray, bumma! I was in Sydney on Saturday too!
You really should make a book of all this!
M

#343 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:15

The best part, I reckon, Mark, was that Britto was so happy with the outcome...

He was nervous about it all initially, so a lot of what he was doing while I was there Thursday and Friday was in preparation for the crowd. Not only Thursday and Friday, he had been making arrangements for parking of the anticipated crowd of cars, worked on getting some of the cars running (with Ray Eldershaw's help) and other tidying up so it was all showing at its best.

All of this while he was getting someone in to lay concrete for an extension to his shed and work still had to be done on the front-engined car. My visit was fortuitous as he had the Commodore there to be stripped of its engine and gearbox. He was quite surprised that I had it all done by lunchtime on Friday...

0718commodoreandengine.jpg

And the engine and auto box on the floor:

0818commodoreengneandbox.jpg

Just to update the BN2 matter, here's a view of the engine, which it seems is a Ford:

0818_BN2engine.jpg

Meantime, work on the front-engined car progresses...

0818bodyandsuspensionflares.jpg

The body is coming together, a recent addition has been the flaring over the front suspension opening.

0818chassisandbelttensioner.jpg

Bob shows where a turnbuckle arrangement will be in place to take care of belt tensioning.

0818diffrearmount.jpg

Neat arrangement of the differential mount at the rear, with the battery carrier evident too. And at the front of it is the drop gear arrangement to allow for a low tail shaft:

0818dropgearsetup1.jpg

0818dropgearsetup2.jpg

0818dropgearsetup3.jpg

Tony Zammit helped with the exhaust primaries:

0818exhauststubs.jpg

The fuel tank has been fabricated along with its retaining strap:

0818fueltank.jpg

And the recent sandblasting and painting of the chassis brings up a professional look:

0818paintedchassiswithengineetc.jpg

Edited by Ray Bell, 07 August 2018 - 11:17.

#344 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 22:28

News from Bob is that he's got the plated suspension parts back now...

But he's been tied up for the past two weeks with other issues:

Pouring the concrete and assembling stuff to extend the 'museum' shed.

Attending gatherings of 'old and bold' which includes mechanics etc.

Drawing up and creating the suspension pieces for someone else's Maserati 300S lookalike.

The latter one is the big one. It's the reason he's getting the fibreglass body for his next project. He didn't build the chassis that's to be used but he was commissioned to create the suspension. And without a chassis to work from, he's had to use some of his famous innovation.

Using two pieces of plywood cut out to the profile of the chassis, with drillings for the pickup points and with the lower part setting the profiles at proper ride height, he's working between those points on the ply sheets to be sure he can get bump steer etc sorted out.

I don't think Bob assigns a job number to these sorts of projects, in fact I'm sure he doesn't, but it will all be completely drawn up and fabricated from those drawings.

Edited by Ray Bell, 23 August 2018 - 05:53.

#345 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 21:26

Here's the latest situation, courtesy of Marc Schagen...

0818fr_MSwithsuspensionbits.jpg

The chassis with the sidepods in place, complete with their innovative 'egg rack' protrusions to locate the cockpit bodywork.

Under the car you can see the suspension bits which have just come back from the electroplater.

Marc had a little time yesterday and enjoyed himself joining with Bob, Spencer Martin, Ray Eldershaw, Kerry Smith, Bob Winley and Les Puklowski at the regular Saturday gathering at the Rennmax 'works'.

Edited by Ray Bell, 26 August 2018 - 23:27.

#346 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 22:35

Here's one we don't see much of...

0918fr_MBPhillips_HW.jpg

Purchased by Jim Phillips when Lionel Ayers retired, the 5-litre Repco-powered car was a bit unlucky most of its life. Jim raced it with gusto (didn't he graduate from a Farrell Clubman?) and at all the Victorian circuits for a year or two.

At Hume Weir, as shown, it would certainly have been a handful...

The pic has come through Mark Bisset but was from the lens of Mark Bishop. Thanks to both.

Edited by Ray Bell, 06 September 2018 - 22:36.

#347 Shane Bowden

Shane Bowden

• 90 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:20

Used to live in a service station on PI for many years.

#348 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 186 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:03

Thanks for popping the photo up Ray- always a favourite car.
A couple of questions- is it a monocoque or spaceframe chassis ? and is the other 'hardware' - uprights, steering rack common with the BN3's or the other smaller engined sportscars?
M

#349 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 64,159 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:28

I'll check with Bob, but I reckon most stuff would be common with the Macarthur and Hanger cars...

This car was later raced by Paul Gibson, IIRC, though still owned by Phillips. And due to their ownership of the car, the Phillips family bought up a lot of Repco V8 stock.

Monocoque centre section, tubeframe front and rear, BN6 through and through.

Edited by Ray Bell, 07 September 2018 - 11:29.

#350 TerryS

TerryS

• 548 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 00:47

Here's one we don't see much of...

0918fr_MBPhillips_HW.jpg

Purchased by Jim Phillips when Lionel Ayers retired, the 5-litre Repco-powered car was a bit unlucky most of its life. Jim raced it with gusto (didn't he graduate from a Farrell Clubman?) and at all the Victorian circuits for a year or two.

At Hume Weir, as shown, it would certainly have been a handful...

The pic has come through Mark Bisset but was from the lens of Mark Bishop. Thanks to both.

Ray, do you or Bob know the whereabouts of this car?

The last photo of it I can find is this October 1979 shot with Paul Gibson

http://www.oldraceph...#9623_N_Renn_79