770 replies to this topic

#751 ozpata

ozpata

• 362 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:20

brabha13.png

brabha12.png

brm_fr10.png

if somebody thinks this is disrupting the maps thread, I will delete them or move them somewhere, if not I might have a few more 

Edited by ozpata, 31 July 2019 - 10:27.

Advertisement

#752 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,419 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:30

It's very much your thread, Oscar...

And I'm sure everyone is as delighted as I am with this stuff.

#753 cpbell

cpbell

• 2,105 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:41

It's very much your thread, Oscar...

And I'm sure everyone is as delighted as I am with this stuff.

They're lovely diagrams, especially the Brabham cutaways.

Edited by cpbell, 31 July 2019 - 14:08.

#754 MCS

MCS

• 4,132 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 22:07

I still have some doubts on the Melling to Tatts section, though It's not impossible that my childhood recollections weren't quite right, and my long term memory is not infallible after all. I suppose I could have been confusing Village with Anchor, though I don't think so, Peter Swinger's book refers to "...the sharp right-hand Village", which is what I was sure I remembered. A photograph cannot lie, but is Google Earth entirely reliable here? Re-shaping corners wouldn't be a small or cheap job, especially on a track that never saw a great deal of use, and nothing but occasional club action in recent years, but there clearly have been a few changes since the 60s when place was in more active use, but was it ever more than one or two events each year? Adding the golf course inside the Village/Bechers area for example, that wouldn't have been a small earth-moving job. I blame all those horses, never trusted the things...

I have no doubt that the tarmac is the same and hasn't been embellished or "re-shaped" in any way, but Village wasn't that tight - let's face it, more cars would have spun there and they very rarely did as far as I know. However, I do recall one individual thumping into one of the horse racing fences on Valentines Way during one of those wonderful Tuesday evening practice sessions, which begs the inevitable question. Can you imagine a Tuesday evening like that even being allowed to take place today? (A very silly question, sadly)...

The Melling Road/Tatts kink was pretty slight as I recall, although after such a distance on the Railway Straight it would have required some serious attention and didn't Jim Clark come unstuck here at one point?

Steve Wilkinson should know the circuit layout better than most of us here as I suspect Ian Smith doesn't get involved anymore.  Loved the place and wish I could have seen every Grand Prix there (and all of the Club meetings).

However, more importantly.  Ozpata (Oscar) - please keep this wonderful thread going with your astounding, fascinating work :clap: and thank you!

Edited by MCS, 31 July 2019 - 22:11.

#755 ozpata

ozpata

• 362 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:48

eag_bp10.png

front_10.png

t81_fr10.png

#756 ozpata

ozpata

• 362 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:48

66_bel10.png

1968-b10.png

amon_610.png

#757 ozpata

ozpata

• 362 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:50

cooper10.png

cv7010.png

stirli10.png

#758 DCapps

DCapps

• 465 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:21

I was doing some organizing and found this, not the place for it it but maybe some will like them

auto_u10.png

Ah, the Typ 1937....

#759 ozpata

ozpata

• 362 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:04

assen110.png

Advertisement

#760 ozpata

ozpata

• 362 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:17

lockbo10.png

#761 ozpata

ozpata

• 362 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 22:28

following up on Aintree and the corners, i received an answer from John Abel who has been an official at Aintree for 45 years, he has also been  Clerk of the course, is director of the Aintree Motorcycle Club, I described my concern about that section in the Village corner mainly but was curious about the potential changes to the whole track, and basically ask him, if there has been any re profiling or changes to that section, with a map of the track as I did it 

his answer was that as far as he knows no changes to the circuit, "Village has remained the same as the old F1 Track. Having walked round the track many, many times you can still see the old bank of the inside of the corner."

sometimes things at eye level can look very different or we construct a different image 

#762 ozpata

ozpata

• 362 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:07

march510.png

#763 ozpata

ozpata

• 362 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:54

bergam10.png

#764 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,006 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:34

following up on Aintree and the corners, i received an answer from John Abel who has been an official at Aintree for 45 years, he has also been  Clerk of the course, is director of the Aintree Motorcycle Club, I described my concern about that section in the Village corner mainly but was curious about the potential changes to the whole track, and basically ask him, if there has been any re profiling or changes to that section, with a map of the track as I did it 

his answer was that as far as he knows no changes to the circuit, "Village has remained the same as the old F1 Track. Having walked round the track many, many times you can still see the old bank of the inside of the corner."

sometimes things at eye level can look very different or we construct a different image 

Thanks for taking the trouble to go back and check Oscar, I suspect you're right about things looking different from a set back spectator area some way from the track, though of course very much closer than it would be in today's more safety conscious times, and childhood memories are getting a bit old and faded today. One small point though, the slow motion video posted by Hati showed, to me at any rate, that the entry to Village corner looked tighter than some of the others, opening out as it reached Valentines Way on the way to Bechers, so possibly the corner entry slowed the cars a little more. Anyway, it seemed to us to be the best place to spectate. Our entry to the track must have cost something approaching one Pound, a substantial sum for a schoolboy with only pocket money, way back in the early 60s.

#765 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,419 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 13:19

Originally posted by ozpata
bergam10.png

What a circuit!

Lots of corners, changes of altitude, I'm sure there was plenty of atmosphere too.

Along with that, the walls each side of the circuit would have enhanced the sounds, just wonderful stuff.

#766 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 902 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 17:50

It's just the changes of altitude that we can't see on the track maps here... Oscar, what about adding contour lines or shaded relief to your superb maps? Not to all of them, of course, but at least to those where altitudes varied much along the circuit?

#767 ozpata

ozpata

• 362 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 22:23

2_berg10.png

https://www.daftlogi...nd-altitude.htm

altitude was taken from this place, I don't know how accurate it is  but I did it a few times to make sure and observe possible variations, I have been thinking in a few things to try to make the maps better but need more time 

Edited by ozpata, 12 August 2019 - 22:28.

#768 ozpata

ozpata

• 362 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 15:38

crysta10.png

#769 ozpata

ozpata

• 362 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:03

crysta11.png

#770 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,346 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:13

Many a happy hour spent at that latest circuit. Such a shame it never survived - athletics, health and safety killed it.

#771 ozpata

ozpata

• 362 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:47

thruxt10.png