Photo

France U.S. Challenge Trophy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:26

The Reims 12 Hours in 1965 was part of something called the France U. S. Challenge Trophy. This was sponsored by Pepsi Cola. Does

anyone know how long this Trophy was awarded and what races were part of it. Was the France family of NASCAR involved or did it refer to the two countries.

Many thanks,

Advertisement

#2 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:47

The Reims 12 Hours in 1965 was part of something called the France U. S. Challenge Trophy. This was sponsored by Pepsi Cola. Does

anyone know how long this Trophy was awarded and what races were part of it. Was the France family of NASCAR involved or did it refer to the two countries.

Many thanks,

I can't find any reference to it in the usual sources, but I seem to recall that it was a 4-race series contained within the World Sportscar Championship (or whatever it was called at that time) and consisted of the classics at Daytona and Sebring, together with Le Mans and Rheims. Nothing to do with the France family, just races held in the US and France and points awarded on finishing positions. Quite possibly Pepsi wanted to get involved in the Ford v. Ferrari battle of those times.

Of course, I could be wrong. My memory isn't what it once was.

#3 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 20:13

Many thanks, Nicanary. Does anyone else have an idea of how long this Challenge existed?