- - - - -

A bit last minute but an imporatnt racecar dynamics course

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mariner

mariner

• 1,811 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 13:24

A bit last minute, but  an opportunity has arisen to join a one day course by john Miles ex F1 driver and long time Lotus vehicle dynamics expert on race and road cars .

I have been sent this by James Winstanley of the 750 Club as there are few places on John Miles racecar dynamics course on Monday at Donnington. I doubt John needs any introduction  but he is , quite definitely, one of the world's top vehicle dynamics experts and did most of the suspension engineering on the FWD Elan, called on its introduction the best handling FWD car in the world.

Also John has been working hard as consultant at Multimatic so he is au fait with the latest racing suspension/damping stuff as well.

The nice thing is the day long course has very little maths at all and includes full course notes.

For anybody wanting to seriously improve the competitiveness of an Historic , special or a race/track car this is a good opportunity for, in terms of todays racing costs , not too much money.

Technically it is for 750 members but James can sort out an " instant " membership (£20) on the day as part of the deal.

"A handful of last minute places have become available for the final John Miles Lecture on The Fundamentals of Racecar Dynamics, this coming Monday 6th March. Attendees must be 750 Motor Club members (although new members are welcome to join), starting at 10am at the 750 Motor Club office, Donington Park.

Anyone interested in attending should ring 750MC to book and pay (£100 including hot lunch and course notes) as soon as possible - the places will be filled on a first come first served basis"

You can contact James on the office number of 01332 814548 or his mobile 07740 358 545. or james@750mc.co.uk

I do realise this is probably only of interest to UK based people but I thought I would post it anyway.

Advertisement

#2 mariner

mariner

• 1,811 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 20:11

I went along to John's talk and it was great. You could find some of the stuff on his slides in books etc but never the actual hands - on vehicle dynamics know-how.

If you met John he is so quiet you would never think he was a top F3 driver in the cut- throat 1 litre days, or an F1 driver alongside Jochen Rindt, but listening to his explanations of car dynamics you would soon recognize his decades at Lotus and Multimatic.

He makes interesting observations such as any race car should have the biggest steering wheel and lowest steering ratio you can realistically fit as it improves sensitivity in the gap between self alighting force drop-off and peak lateral force.

Weight distribution is so fundamental to tyre load a second a lap gain on a Lotus F1 car was achieved simply by inserting a 75mm gearbox to engine spacer in to offset the impact of a switch to heavier engine

He also gave an example of why you need broad view of handling and not just books. On a high performance GT car they were doing the handling work on the expressway lane change stability (pull out and pull in quickly) was not good enough. The problem had nothing to do with dampers, roll bars etc but it was the silencers!

They were large, heavy and right out at the back. So with soft rubber mountings the side frequency of the heavy box matched the swerve manoeuvre frequency and, in effect, kicked the tail out. Stiffer silencer mounts fixed the problem.