^

Alonso wont get the drive perhaps?

Advertisement

#3602 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,875 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 22:22

Just a namesake.. :p

Yeah right after I posted that I figgered it out. LOL.

#3603 Joseki

Joseki

• 3,442 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 22:24

^

He will not get the Andretti Autosport drive, this is sure.

Edited by Joseki, 18 February 2020 - 22:31.

#3604 prommer

prommer

• 2,525 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 23:32

Jenna says McLaren is "back on the table."

But I mean, even teams in the relegation zone are technically still "on the table."   :lol:

A break from Daytona: Andretti Autosport will announce its 7th #Indy500 entry tomorrow morning. Since Honda said no to Alonso, the third car with McLaren is back on table for 500.

#3605 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,875 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 23:35

Jenna says McLaren is "back on the table."

But I mean, even teams in the relegation zone are technically still "on the table."   :lol:

A break from Daytona: Andretti Autosport will announce its 7th #Indy500 entry tomorrow morning. Since Honda said no to Alonso, the third car with McLaren is back on table for 500.

Was it ever really off the table, other than when it looked like Alonso would go to Andretti?

#3606 Radoye

Radoye

• 2,948 posts

Posted Yesterday, 00:29

That third SPAM car is actually a very good ride, maybe not exactly Penske - Andretti territory but definitely not a clown show McLaren was last year. SPM know their way around Indy and with Craig Hampson on board they should be right up there.

#3607 revmeister

revmeister

• 570 posts

Posted Yesterday, 00:52

Was there ever a confirmation from Honda or Andretti that Alonso was out? It would be the biggest troll of all time if they announce him after all the talk around here.

#3608 loki

loki

• 6,171 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:19

Was there ever a confirmation from Honda or Andretti that Alonso was out? It would be the biggest troll of all time if they announce him after all the talk around here.

There was never a confirmation that he had the ride in the first place.  MIller wouldn’t have mentioned it had it not been true.  It’s common knowledge in the paddock at this point.  It would be quite a troll if it was announced but I doubt it.  My guess is Hinch to the 7th Andretti car is the announcement.

#3609 revmeister

revmeister

• 570 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:33

There was never a confirmation that he had the ride in the first place. MIller wouldn’t have mentioned it had it not been true. It’s common knowledge in the paddock at this point. It would be quite a troll if it was announced but I doubt it. My guess is Hinch to the 7th Andretti car is the announcement.

You're probably right, though the timing of this announcement and Alonso's tweets makes it interesting. He has something lined up. Not getting my hopes up.

#3610 kumo7

kumo7

• 2,207 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:12

^

I would not want to offend you, but this reads like you enjoying Alonso being Bullied by Honda.

#3611 loki

loki

• 6,171 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:35

I would not want to offend you, but this reads like you enjoying Alonso being Bullied by Honda.

This isn’t a case of bullying.  They don’t want to work with the guy so they aren’t.  Around these parts that’s called free will and excercising choice.  They are under no obligation to provide him anything.

#3612 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,316 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:26

Why the heck should I be offended should I be enjoying this gripping  Alonso/Honda soap opera?

#3613 kumo7

kumo7

• 2,207 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:28

This isn’t a case of bullying.  They don’t want to work with the guy so they aren’t.  Around these parts that’s called free will and excercising choice.  They are under no obligation to provide him anything.

This is one way of looking it, but there is also a commercial side of it.

Lke you take taxi, the customer can not be rejected.

Wen it has contract, I dunno if this is the case, it depends obviously.

#3614 kumo7

kumo7

• 2,207 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:31

Why the heck should I be offended should I be enjoying this gripping  Alonso/Honda soap opera?

Some one on the same forum think that it is a mean feeling to have.

#3615 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,316 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:38

^

Huh? :confused:

#3616 taran

taran

• 3,267 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:40

I agree with Loki. I have defended Alonso against (IMO) incorrect or unfair accusations but Honda can choose who they work with. I disagree with the way this has played out but actions have consequences. We all learn this at some point in life.

#3617 Loosenut

Loosenut

• 803 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:49

Well, the actions of a driver towards the company have consequences for the driver. The actions of a company towards a driver have consequences for the driver. That's life.. :p

#3618 kumo7

kumo7

• 2,207 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:38

:up:

#3619 Loosenut

Loosenut

• 803 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:05

Well, I guess that pretty much puts paid to this thread now.

Great news for Hinch tho! 👍

https://www.autospor...rt-for-indy-500

Advertisement

#3620 Gilles126c

Gilles126c

• 18 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:46

Great news for Hinch tho!

Maybe not as Alonso has tweeted he is doing the Indy 500 this year, but who with ??

Also Andretti also said the following at the press conference today:

It didn’t happen because we couldn’t come to terms,” said Andretti of the Alonso deal. “Our contract allows us to run whomever we want but Honda isn’t to blame. Nobody is to blame. It just didn’t work out.

#3621 Nobody

Nobody

• 2,084 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:58

Forget about Indy Freddo, you got a month to get your butt into a Racing Point...

#3622 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,875 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:11

WeWillSee ...

#3623 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,875 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:15

Great news for Hinch tho!

Maybe not as Alonso has tweeted he is doing the Indy 500 this year, but who with ??

Also Andretti also said the following at the press conference today:

It didn’t happen because we couldn’t come to terms,” said Andretti of the Alonso deal. “Our contract allows us to run whomever we want but Honda isn’t to blame. Nobody is to blame. It just didn’t work out.

This is what I heard from different folks ... that it was a complex problem & not just down to "GP2 engine" comments. That line of reasoning never made sense.

#3624 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,875 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:26

As I said way back, I believe there is a LOT going on behind the scenes that runs counter to the common "GP2 engine" wisdom re: this thing. This seems to bear that out...

Asked how money could possibly be a deterrent for a multi-millionaire like Alonso, who was keen to be competitive again at Indy like he was in 2017, Andretti replied: “It might not be all about money.”

So this would leave the question: Is Alonso available to another powerhouse Honda team like Chip Ganassi Racing?

“There has never been a conversation from Fernando or his group or Honda approaching us,” said Mike Hull, the managing director at Ganassi. “We were a little surprised nobody reached out to us and stretching to run a fourth car would have been difficult at best but nobody made any overtures from Fernando’s camp or Honda. And Honda never told us we couldn’t run him.

“It would be great to run a person of Alonso’s stature if you were in a position to do it the right way and certainly Michael could have done it. But it was never on the table with us. Our team was never in a position to ask our engine partner, Honda. We’re just curious bystanders like everyone else.”

When asked Tuesday about bringing Alonso to IMS to join Pato O’Ward and Oliver Askew, McLaren CEO Zak Brown texted this response to RACER: “Nothing set. Still looking at it.”

Co-owner Sam Schmidt said he doesn’t have Alonso’s phone number and hasn’t talked to Brown in a couple days.

“I have no agreement with Alonso but that doesn’t mean Zak isn’t talking to him.” said Schmidt. “I’ve said religiously the last eight months he’s an F1 champ and there is nothing better for the Indy 500 or series as a whole than for him to be here. It would be mega. He needs to be in the Indy 500.”

https://racer.com/20...deal-but-where/

Edited by AustinF1, Yesterday, 23:00.

#3625 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,924 posts

Posted Today, 07:38

So no Honda veto, but they couldn't reach an agreement between Alonso and Andretti?

This is bizarre.

Edited by kosmos, Today, 07:40.

#3626 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,857 posts

Posted Today, 07:41

So no Honda veto, but they couldn't reach an agreement between Alonso and Andretti?

This is bizarre.

I would not expect Andretti to say that Honda did veto Alonso, so I'm not really sure whether his statement changes anything.  Andretti would twist the truth both to protect Honda's reputation, as well as to avoid the appearance that he's not the boss of his own team.

#3627 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,304 posts

Posted Today, 07:48

I would not expect Andretti to say that Honda did veto Alonso, so I'm not really sure whether his statement changes anything.  Andretti would twist the truth both to protect Honda's reputation, as well as to avoid the appearance that he's not the boss of his own team.

.... and that of Alonso?  Now we still don't know yet if this was indeed the case so if the truth is twisted, it is still not turned against Alonso either .....

Edited by Henri Greuter, Today, 07:48.

#3628 Peat

Peat

• 4,757 posts

Posted Today, 07:48

Ha. Love it. 

What a tangled web of speculation. 

#3629 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,924 posts

Posted Today, 09:23

That is a good point, with the current story nobody looks bad. Alonso is not vetoed, Honda is not a bitter company and Andretti is in charge of who drivers for him. I buy it.

#3630 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,351 posts

Posted Today, 12:45

This is bizarre.

In 2017, Honda actively wanted to facilitate him as he was a Honda driver in F1. Now, he isn't and Honda may well not care one way or the other. Michael Andretti might have been interested in having him, but also not under any pressure and with good alternatives available. I can see this as a possible situation in which no deal was reached.