* * * * - 7 votes

Billy Monger - injury, recovery and return to racing

• Please log in to reply
635 replies to this topic

#101 retrogeezer

retrogeezer

• 73 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 20:05

Horrific crash, best wishes for a quick and full recovery to you Billy Monger. 

Advertisement

#102 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,395 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 20:24

Bet he ended up on ketamine, in which case he won't remember anything.

Its not uncommon for regular road car extrication to take an hour, but this was a carbon fiber chassis so that would have slowed things down. Once he was out they would then have had to stop any bleeding and get him packaged up.

#103 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 1,518 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 20:24

Until further information is released, we know he's alive and was conscious throughout the process of extraction. One dreadful possibility is that the emergency team have to deal with a severely modified/crashed survival cell, since apparently they were not dealing with other life threatening injuries, and opted not for the quickest manoeuvre but the one most patient and controlled possible, surely taking into account/evaluating salvaging his lower limbs...

Hopefully he's now stable and can continue with his dream...

What a horrific incident.

Edited by coppilcus, 17 April 2017 - 11:54.

#104 Whiz

Whiz

• 857 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 20:31

Hopefully he is now stable and can recover from this horrific incident.

Wish him all the best and a speedy recovery!

#105 geordiecraig101

geordiecraig101

• 92 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 20:50

When i walked back past an hour or so after the incident, cutting tools were out and on the floor (air saw and jaws of life) but have no idea if they were used. Once Billy was removed from the car it seamed like he was treated for another 10 minutes or so before being transferred into the air ambulance were again it looked as if more treatment was happening before it left. It almost looked as if the crash structure / gearbox has penetrated the right side of the tub as the 2 cars looked almost "locked together" 

#106 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 3,992 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 20:58

A couple of points.

Whilst I agree with Austin regarding 'normal' extraction time in this case the rescue crews were probably confronted with a situation that they have never seen before.

F4 utilises a carbon fibre tub, and as this is one of only two formulae in national racing that uses CF the chances are that the rescue crews have never had to deal with this before, even at a training day, as I doubt there is a ready supply of CF chassis available for training purposes. 

Some have wondered about the possible lack of warning flags. This area of the track at Donington, having had the barriers moved back over the years, presents problems in that the flag points are well off to the right hand side of the track and in that section are thus on the side of the track out of the drivers line-of-site as they are looking at the apex of the left-hander curve.

#107 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,198 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 21:03

Sorry, I'm all out of likes, but I would like these if I could...

A couple of points.

Whilst I agree with Austin regarding 'normal' extraction time in this case the rescue crews were probably confronted with a situation that they have never seen before.

F4 utilises a carbon fibre tub, and as this is one of only two formulae in national racing that uses CF the chances are that the rescue crews have never had to deal with this before, even at a training day, as I doubt there is a ready supply of CF chassis available for training purposes. 

Some have wondered about the possible lack of warning flags. This area of the track at Donington, having had the barriers moved back over the years, presents problems in that the flag points are well off to the right hand side of the track and in that section are thus on the side of the track out of the drivers line-of-site as they are looking at the apex of the left-hander curve.

When i walked back past an hour or so after the incident, cutting tools were out and on the floor (air saw and jaws of life) but have no idea if they were used. Once Billy was removed from the car it seamed like he was treated for another 10 minutes or so before being transferred into the air ambulance were again it looked as if more treatment was happening before it left. It almost looked as if the crash structure / gearbox has penetrated the right side of the tub as the 2 cars looked almost "locked together" 

Hopefully he is now stable and can recover from this horrific incident.

Wish him all the best and a speedy recovery!

Until further information is released, we know he's alive and was conscious throughout the process of extraction. One dreadful possibility is that the emergency team have to deal with a severely modified/crashed survival cell, since apparently they were not dealing with other life threatening injuries, and opted not for the quickest manoeuvre but the one most patient and controlled possible, surely taking into account/evaluating salvaging his lower limbs...

Hopefully he's now stable and can continues with his dream...

What a horrific incident.

Horrific crash, best wishes for a quick and full recovery to you Billy Monger. 

Edited by AustinF1, 16 April 2017 - 21:04.

#108 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 1,518 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 21:17

Sorry, I'm all out of likes, but I would like these if I could...

Out of likes?!

How come a forum ration expressions of agreement and getting along? That's weird.

#109 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,198 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 21:24

Yeah I've always thought that was weird.

#110 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 662 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 21:48

Awful smash. Horrific. Hope he'll be ok but I fear he's got some serious injuries. Made me feel a bit sick. All the very best to this young man

#111 stringyb92

stringyb92

• 325 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 22:10

Horrific accident, and really makes you think after you've watched it 

All the best, and a speedy recovery!

#112 SR388

SR388

• 5,615 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 22:19

I hope everyone recovers well. Terrible accident and hopefully we can learn from this.

#113 Turboflame

Turboflame

• 522 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 22:44

Somtimes it looks so safe with modern safety improvements, also in f1, it seems nothing can happen and it's 'too safe', but the only thing it takes is a wrong set of circumstances ...

#114 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 5,459 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 22:53

I hope that good news of his condition (survival) transpires soon

Edited by William Hunt, 16 April 2017 - 22:54.

#115 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 23:22

Somtimes it looks so safe with modern safety improvements

Rear-ending a slower car is hardly uncommon. It's happened occasionally in F1 as well (usually with the car behind launching over the one in front).

#116 Teleriel

Teleriel

• 14 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 00:01

I wonder if this will raise questions about the heights of noses in formula cars, etcetera. This situation reminds me a little of the majority of complaints about low noses in various paddocks (F1 especially) but we rarely see anything this severe (I'm obviously not sure what happened but from what I gather the leading car spun off the circuit and back onto it, and hence was slow and the car behind was unsighted? if so, these accidents do happen a lot, especially in GTs where the results are significantly less impacting on the driver because of the size of the car)... 

Fingers crossed Monger's alright. Twitter shows me that Jamie Caroline (Teammate to both(?) drivers) was visiting Patrik in hospital and he seems to be fine, which is good. 

#117 chained

chained

• 95 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 00:21

that was a shocker ! hope hes ok

#118 Radoye

Radoye

• 2,906 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:06

if so, these accidents do happen a lot, especially in GTs where the results are significantly less impacting on the driver because of the size of the car)...

Memo Gidley had a similar accident at Daytona 24 hrs a few years ago, rear ending a stranded stationary car.

#119 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,017 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:26

Any news?

Advertisement

#120 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 1,878 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:28

the only thing we know is leg injures from itv4, might get a better understanding on his injures when the family speaks

#121 Peat

Peat

• 4,427 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:46

I wonder if this will raise questions about the heights of noses in formula cars, etcetera.

leeds.jpg
The chassis the British series uses has a very low nose and low bulkhead. It's almost like a perfect ramp to deliver cars/tyre barriers to the face.

F4-car-new1.jpg
This is built to the same regs, i believe(?) and is this the one that now runs as British F3? (Ridiculous btw). This has a higher bulkhead, more akin to the current F1 regs.

#122 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,198 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:10

the only thing we know is leg injures from itv4, might get a better understanding on his injures when the family speaks

That one was brutal, too.

#123 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,548 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:02

Fortunately missed this as I was watching F1,F2 or WEC. reason for delay to start of second BTCC race sounded worrying.

Anyone know if anyone is covering British F3 today?

#124 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 634 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:13

Reminded me of Didier Pironi's accident in the 1982 German GP practice / qualifying.....Ok, it was raining and lots of spray then, Pironi was catching Derek Daly's William, Daly moved to one side, Pironi went belting past only to rear end Alain Prost's Renault ): The smash shattered Pironi's legs, ending his car racing career... 

#125 Radoye

Radoye

• 2,906 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:39

Reminded me of Didier Pironi's accident in the 1982 German GP practice / qualifying...... 

A family friend was marshaling this race, and picked up some pieces off Pironi's car. He brought them to the Ferrari pits but was told they don't need them and that he could keep them. So now on his party room wall there stands one very deformed Ferrari steering wheel and a part of the sidepod.

#126 Samspade

Samspade

• 248 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:01

Horrific, best wishes for a quick and full recovery

#127 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,195 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:13

I hope he recovers fully and fast.

tbh it reminded me of the Paletti crash.  sadly that had a worse outcome.

#128 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 16:55

The chassis the British series uses has a very low nose and low bulkhead. It's almost like a perfect ramp to deliver cars/tyre barriers to the face.

This is built to the same regs, i believe(?) and is this the one that now runs as British F3? (Ridiculous btw). This has a higher bulkhead, more akin to the current F1 regs.

The Mygale is used in several regions (Denmark, Southeast Asia, Australia, Mexico).

I know the Tatuus USF-17 uses an extra bulkhead in front (designed to take oval impacts), otherwise it's similar to the F4 Tatuus.

The BRDC sanctioned series has a more powerful engine (230hp Cosworth) so I can see why they wanted to rename it, as well as the void left by the collapse of the original British F3 in 2014.

Edited by Prost1997T, 17 April 2017 - 17:37.

#129 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,395 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 17:01

A family friend was marshaling this race, and picked up some pieces off Pironi's car. He brought them to the Ferrari pits but was told they don't need them and that he could keep them. So now on his party room wall there stands one very deformed Ferrari steering wheel and a part of the sidepod.

That would be worth a LOT of money.

#130 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,371 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 18:17

Memo Gidley had a similar accident at Daytona 24 hrs a few years ago, rear ending a stranded stationary car.

Yeah it reminded me of that incident a lot.

That was the end of the Red Dragon team unfortunately with both drivers getting some horrific injuries. 

Edited by f1paul, 17 April 2017 - 18:18.

#131 Radoye

Radoye

• 2,906 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 18:42

That would be worth a LOT of money.

Probably.

#132 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 662 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 17:23

Has anything more been heard regarding Billy Monger's injuries?

#133 ANF

ANF

• 9,892 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 17:46

I don't think so.

#134 jrv_t644e

jrv_t644e

• 111 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 18:06

All the Very best thoughts for Billy, an horrific looking accident.

Reminisicent for me of two accidents some 20-25 years ago, in one of which i was a participant, albeit the stationary one.

I remember a friend of mine whose car was essentially wrecked in an accident where an abandoned car rolled back downhill into his path.  Thank goodness he was ok.

In second i had a suspension failure going into the Esses at Mallory in the days when single seaters and saloons were allowed topractice together. The left front wheel no longer functioning as a wheel, i wrestled the car to a stop managing to not hit anything hard, had a moment to think "I'm in the way, i probably need to get off to the side" when WHACK i took the most almighty smack up the backside from a saloon. As i came to a halt for a second time i was rapidly approached by the driver of said sallon who gave me several more whacks aaround the helmet for "stopping on the track" until he was led away by the marshalls who pointed out my errant wheel.

This is a strong reminder of how lucky we were, and that perhaps had it been another single seater it could in that case have been worse, although now the idea of saloons and sihngle seaters out together frankly terrifies me.

Different Times i suppose.

Edited by jrv_t644e, 18 April 2017 - 18:06.

#135 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,198 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 18:58

^Did you kick that guy's ass? Sounds like he needed his ass kicked.

#136 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,627 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 19:28

Has anything more been heard regarding Billy Monger's injuries?

No, there hasn't.

Not sure whether no news is good news in this situation or not. :well:

#137 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,582 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 19:29

That was the end of the Red Dragon team unfortunately with both drivers getting some horrific injuries.

Holy cheese balls! That is horrific!

#138 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,365 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 20:16

Lack of news seems a bit unusual given that we know he was conscious and communicative throughout. Perhaps because he's a minor?

#139 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,198 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 20:32

Lack of news seems a bit unusual given that we know he was conscious and communicative throughout. Perhaps because he's a minor?

That, and medical info privacy laws, and whatever wishes the family may have regarding public release of information about his condition. Hope we hear something positive soon though! Fingers crossed.

Advertisement

#140 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 1,296 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 22:59

Orthopaedic injuries (breakages) often require lengthy and multiple operations before reliable prognosis can be given, and talking to the press is the last thing on the parent's mind

#141 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,565 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 23:05

I have the feeling that he is already yesterday's news, and because it's a minor series none of the press are particularly interested in following it up. That could just be the cynic in me though.

#142 jrv_t644e

jrv_t644e

• 111 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 23:31

^Did you kick that guy's ass? Sounds like he needed his ass kicked.

I... well no i didn't.

The marshalls led him away and helped me out. I heard them mention my wheel and say that if he closed on me then there was obviously something wrong. But then they got us well apart so i didnt even exchange words with him, let alone anything else.

In truth i don't know if there were any flags, it all happened so fast, so the marshalls probably didn't even have time to react, they probably just saw me trying to keep control, stopping and then bang! At least i wasnt trying to get out. I've had a fear of trying to get out ever since, unless i can get somewhere well out of the way.

I do want to say the marshalls were great though. It's easy to get frustrated if one thinks they haven't done a good job of clearing an incident or a spill, or getting the flags exactly right and I've been fortunate to have very few accidents, but when i have had one, or friends have, or the conditions have been particularly hard... its a reminder of just what a brilliant job the marshalls do, race in race out, and i'm supremely grateful for them and the invaluable work they do, :clap:

#143 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,487 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 23:36

I do want to say the marshalls were great though. It's easy to get frustrated if one thinks they haven't done a good job of clearing an incident or a spill, or getting the flags exactly right and I've been fortunate to have very few accidents, but when i have had one, or friends have, or the conditions have been particularly hard... its a reminder of just what a brilliant job the marshalls do, race in race out, and i'm supremely grateful for them and the invaluable work they do, :clap:

Agreed

#144 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,772 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 23:43

Paul Dana's fatal accident is another one that bears some resemblance.  I guess that even in the modern age there is a limit to what cars can withstand in a direct collision with a hard object.

#145 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:08

I guess that even in the modern age there is a limit to what cars can withstand in a direct collision with a hard object.

Indeed. The laws of physics are beyond man to control. 

Even if a car could withstand a high-speed impact, the shock on the body is likely to be too much (although apparently Kenny Brack's accident in 2003 saw him survive despite being subjected to 214g!)

#146 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:29

David Purley survived a stuck throttle at Silverstone in '77. That was 179.8g, going from 108-0mph in just over 2ft after barrelling into the sleepers at Beckett's.

It's amazing what the human body can withstand. It ended his career but he carried on with an active life and was often seen flying his stunt biplane over Bognor, from his private airfield at the LEC factory​.

#147 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,759 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:31

This week we have a show of support for F4 driver Billy Monger. We'll bring you any official updates when they are released.

C9w_Sk3WsAANgah.jpg

#148 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,150 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:35

You don't really realise how young these guys are until you see such a picture. Hope everything turns out fine for him. Really makes me question as a parent if I want to introduce my 3 and 5 year olds into racing/karting?

#149 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,923 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 13:43

****ing hell he's a pup, looks a little like my boy. Fark. 

#150 F1matt

F1matt

• 1,006 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 13:55

Good luck to Billy and his family and hopefully he is on a road to recovery, it was a horrible accident, read about it on twitter as I was at Silverstone for the WEC, well done to the marshals and medical staff at Donington. Surprised we haven't had an update via the TOCA or F4 website but it is upto the family  what information is released.