Photo

Forum user details & rules not thought through

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:44

A recent exchange with a moderator of all people has brought to my attention how most users here are basically completely anonymous, which I think is a very bad idea as it engenders zero sense of trust in one another I think.  I noticed by looking at their profile that there is no space for displaying one's real name.  I would suggest that this is changed, because then people can chose whatever username/tag/handle they like and yet NOT be seen as being completely anonymous.

I know one could argue that, "Well what does it tell you knowing their real name, cause it's not like you're ever likely to meet them for real?"  However, I feel it gives a sense that this is a real person one is interacting with and not just some anonymous avatar/internet handle.

Think about it please.

Advertisement

#2 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:35

I know one could argue that, "Well what does it tell you knowing their real name, cause it's not like you're ever likely to meet them for real?"  However, I feel it gives a sense that this is a real person one is interacting with and not just some anonymous avatar/internet handle.

I think everyone is aware of that. Plus after some time here you are developing a sense in how every user interacts, thus giving you the feeling that this is a real person  :p

Would it change anything in how people are discussing with each other if the real name was known though? Perhaps it would make the discussions more civilized, but that's why this forum is pretty well moderated already. And if the real name was known nobody would be able to reveal interesting things or opinions either

Edited by Marklar, 21 April 2017 - 11:40.

#3 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:41

I'm actually just a bot.

#4 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:41

A recent exchange with a moderator of all people has brought to my attention how most users here are basically completely anonymous, which I think is a very bad idea as it engenders zero sense of trust in one another I think.  I noticed by looking at their profile that there is no space for displaying one's real name.  I would suggest that this is changed, because then people can chose whatever username/tag/handle they like and yet NOT be seen as being completely anonymous.

Whilst I appreciate the suggestion, have you been in the comments section of news articles on Facebook lately...?

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:03

As far as I know, the policy round here since the beginning is that we leave it up to each member whether and how much they want to disclose their real identity on here. It is their decision. 

The reason why I'm specifically not in favour of an extra "real name" field is that we'd be signalling to new users that it's in some way desirable or mandatory to divulge their real identity to anyone and everyone who passes through here. That is categorically not what we want to do as there are many perfectly good reasons for members to wish to remain anonymous. Besides, there are loads of places you can broadcast your real name if that's what you want to do. Members do this in their username, their signature, their About Me section...

Speaking personally now, in my experience the best way of coming across as a human on the internet is a long history of posting in good faith. I don't think name tags are the cure-all that you suggest.

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:18

You would also have no way of knowing whether any 'real name' supplied was genuine.

#7 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,672 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:41

I don't really see people here as "anonymous". Anonymous would be if you could just type in a random name with each new post. Each post is rooted in the history of the user, so it's not anonymous.

And as has been said, what difference would it make if it was someone's "real" name - Dave Smith instead of MotorRacingFan9972? No real difference. Also there isn't really such a thing as a real name. All names are just labels applied to us, even if we have one "main" name that has some legal standing. But as far as this forum is concerned, your user name is your one and only name, and as real as it gets!

#8 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:51

Why not allow a "log in with facebook" option

#9 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 15:39

Why not allow a "log in with facebook" option

Too easy for people to create multiple identities. I have two Facebook profiles - one in my real name, one under a pseudonym. Neither of which includes my nick here.

#10 markelov74

markelov74

• 3,080 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 15:43

A recent exchange with a moderator of all people has brought to my attention how most users here are basically completely anonymous, which I think is a very bad idea as it engenders zero sense of trust in one another I think. I noticed by looking at their profile that there is no space for displaying one's real name. I would suggest that this is changed, because then people can chose whatever username/tag/handle they like and yet NOT be seen as being completely anonymous.

I know one could argue that, "Well what does it tell you knowing their real name, cause it's not like you're ever likely to meet them for real?" However, I feel it gives a sense that this is a real person one is interacting with and not just some anonymous avatar/internet handle.

Think about it please.

Ever heard of privacy? People don't like putting their name out on the internet talking to strangers online.

#11 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 15:46

Whilst I appreciate the suggestion, have you been in the comments section of news articles on Facebook lately...?

I avoid responding to anonymous looking people in many places like Facebook, or Guardian.  On FB I can also block users that I find I don't wish to interact with...

#12 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 15:48

Ever heard of privacy? People don't like putting their name out on the internet talking to strangers online.

Being private is fine, but then don't go on line, or if you do do not get into heated discussions with others maybe.

#13 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 15:49

I don't really see people here as "anonymous". Anonymous would be if you could just type in a random name with each new post. Each post is rooted in the history of the user, so it's not anonymous.

And as has been said, what difference would it make if it was someone's "real" name - Dave Smith instead of MotorRacingFan9972? No real difference. Also there isn't really such a thing as a real name. All names are just labels applied to us, even if we have one "main" name that has some legal standing. But as far as this forum is concerned, your user name is your one and only name, and as real as it gets!

It makes a difference to how they come across to me, and how serious I take them.

#14 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 15:49

You would also have no way of knowing whether any 'real name' supplied was genuine.

No, but I still think it better than all the silly internet handles I see on here.

#15 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 15:51

As far as I know, the policy round here since the beginning is that we leave it up to each member whether and how much they want to disclose their real identity on here. It is their decision. 

The reason why I'm specifically not in favour of an extra "real name" field is that we'd be signalling to new users that it's in some way desirable or mandatory to divulge their real identity to anyone and everyone who passes through here. That is categorically not what we want to do as there are many perfectly good reasons for members to wish to remain anonymous. Besides, there are loads of places you can broadcast your real name if that's what you want to do. Members do this in their username, their signature, their About Me section...

Speaking personally now, in my experience the best way of coming across as a human on the internet is a long history of posting in good faith. I don't think name tags are the cure-all that you suggest.

I would prefer it otherwise.  I definitely think the moderators and admin should be identifiable people, because they have power (not in a real world sense, but you know what I mean: power over users here).

#16 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,420 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 16:04

Being private is fine, but then don't go on line

Really!?

#17 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 16:28

I would prefer it otherwise.  I definitely think the moderators and admin should be identifiable people, because they have power (not in a real world sense, but you know what I mean: power over users here).

We have enough checks and balances to ensure that mods and admins here are fully accountable for their actions. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes. This is not something we would wish to discuss in public. You are however free to contact me or Buttoneer by PM if you wish to pursue it further.

#18 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,546 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 16:46

The are very identifiable and bring much to any debate. Pisses me off though for example in real life when I get pulled over by an unmarked police car for a traffic violation. I tell myself if only the police car was marked I would have been more careful. 

#19 markelov74

markelov74

• 3,080 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 17:36

Being private is fine, but then don't go on line

Lol  :rotfl: 3.2 billion people go online and use the internet, and all these people don't care about privacy  :rotfl: This threat just seems like a needles attack at PayAsYourRace, who is a great moderator in my opinion

Advertisement

#20 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 17:43

In TNF we find that knowing who wrote it adds to the worth of what (s)he wrote. Some use their real name, as you see, and some others sign off with a real name.

#21 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,950 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 17:47

Umm..why? Pretty much every forum out there is like this.

I'm not sure what knowing someone's name really adds to a forum, to be honest.

#22 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 19:24

I really would not want you to know what I do for a living (google my name = linkedin profile) or my boss to know what I write on forums. 

#23 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,646 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 19:26

So that you can gain some leverage over the moderators? One of them might work for you in real life, or be your neighbour, or your customer, or you might be their customer. If you know who they are but they don't know who you are, who is the one with the power? 

The same argument applies to "real names" for forum users. 

What is a "real name", anyway? It's what I choose to call myself and how others can identify me. Here, on this forum, my name is Slartibartfast and you can use that name to find out what I have to say in my posts. What benign motive do you have for wanting to know what name I use somewhere else? What I say or do somewhere else is not relevant to this forum. Only what I say or do here is.

#24 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,546 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 21:52

^^ Respect  <period>  :up:

#25 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,672 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 16:14

Think about it please.

By the way, did you used to post as Quetzalcoatl on the GPM forum?

(This isn't an accusation of hypocrisy or anything, just that your name rings a bell.)

#26 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 17:07

Here, on this forum, my name is Slartibartfast

But...you mean that you aren't the REAL Slartibartfast?  Oh, the disappointment!  And I thought you did such nice work on those fjords.

#27 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,646 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 17:31

But...you mean that you aren't the REAL Slartibartfast?  Oh, the disappointment!  And I thought you did such nice work on those fjords.

Real? What is real? As Zaphod might say. Glad you like the fjords. 

#28 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,359 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 20:02

In Liberland I am Freiherr Sebastian Agustus Oscar Marie Graffenreid zum Thoringer und Gryffindor.

:cool:

42 - I do like the fjords

#29 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,546 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:26

In Liberland I am Freiherr Sebastian Agustus Oscar Marie Graffenreid zum Thoringer und Gryffindor.

:cool:

42 - I do like the fjords

They have some ****ed-up naming conventions in Liberland.  :lol:

#30 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,451 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 23:23

Not ****ed up at all.

They are Liberlandic. :up:

Edited by Zmeej, 23 April 2017 - 23:23.

#31 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,451 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 23:28

amedeofelix :wave:

This is a topic that has been frequently engaged hereabouts, but rarely with the temerity of this thread's title and your OP.

The excellent responses given in this thread by the admins, and "liked" by several other admins (among others), should provide an adequate notion (as do the Rules which are affixed atop the various fora) of what kind of place this is in general, and specifically in terms of "anonymity."

Thus, when it comes to this:

Being private is fine, but then don't go on line.

you should realize that there is a corollary:

Being online is fine, but when you come here (latterly, as you have) you should be gracious enough to accept the Rules and the character of the place.

As it happens, both its Rules and its character have developed over time (since 1999) with plenty of attendant and thorough thought.

Edited by Zmeej, 23 April 2017 - 23:37.

#32 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 14:30

Being private is fine, but then don't go on line, or if you do do not get into heated discussions with others maybe.

The absolute beauty of this forum is the subject matter that it revolves around. If you are really getting into a heated argument about racing cars, then you probably need to go outside, and take a look at yourself. It is one of the most abstract and beautifully pointless things that one can discus.

#33 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,451 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 17:24

Beautifully said. :up: :)