Photo

Bruce McLaren documentary film

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:40

Have I been too dumb to spot this elsewhere on the forum? An article on the new Bruce McLaren documentary film, sounds great.

https://www.theguard...e-mclaren-video

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:27

It was discussed at the time in the 50 years of McLaren thread, starting here:

I don't know if it's been discussed already, but fingers crossed, this could be quite good:

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

and continuing in subsequent posts. Is there any more recent news about release dates etc?

#3 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:08

Thank you. Its shown as being launched in New Zealand in July on IMDB. 

http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

They are the great internet movie source so hopefully they will update as it gets nearer to release.

#4 john aston

john aston

• 2,695 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:24

I'm seeing it next week in Beverley - it is on very limited release in the UK . The Times reviewed it on friday - they were not  impressed .

#5 D28

D28

• 2,023 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 22:56

Vintage Motorsport   on line newsletter reports that the US premier will be before a crowd of insiders just before the Indy 500 about 2 days from now. It will than move on to the Michigan's Cinetopia Film Festival in the Henry Ford Big Screen Experience on June 2 at 8 p.m.

#6 john aston

john aston

• 2,695 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:27

V good - lovely archive footage and interviews with all the folk you'd expect .

#7 Cappo

Cappo

• 101 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:31

Saw it in Dublin last night, it was only on for the one night. Very impressed, some lovely footage that I hadn’t seen before, especially the Ca-Am segments, which were epic; Bruce and Denny battling away! Lots of footage of the factory, which was a nice touch. Loads of ‘talking heads’ and a particularly moving moment with Alastair Caldwell speaking about the accident. Not sure if the general public would ‘get it’ – lots of switching between formula and timelines. Some of the filming was recreated using actors and historic cars which was a little disconcerting and I wasn’t too keen on the cartoon animations (also used in the Tommy Byrne movie). One real quibble was the somewhat intrusive music, which is used throughout the movie and is distracting especially at the interviews. Overall, I’m glad I went and I reckon anyone on this forum will enjoy it!

#8 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 13:12

Since I probably would have to wait forever for a cinema showing over here I did pre-order via Amazon, delivery starts at the 29th.

Funnily the Blu-Ray is cheaper than the DVD when I ordered (edit - this has changed now) - plus I included the Tommy Byrne one, too, so finally a chance to see that one.

Ralf

Edited by Ralf Pickel, 26 May 2017 - 13:13.

#9 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:47

Since I probably would have to wait forever for a cinema showing over here I did pre-order via Amazon, delivery starts at the 29th.
Funnily the Blu-Ray is cheaper than the DVD when I ordered (edit - this has changed now) - plus I included the Tommy Byrne one, too, so finally a chance to see that one.

Ralf

My DVD arrived and I was very pleased with the content. Great archive footage and interviews

Bill P

#10 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:19

I noticed it is now on Virgin pay per view over here, so probably the same elsewhere. This system usually coincides with the launch of the DVD.
Roger Lund

#11 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 353 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 21:45

DVD arrived last week. I watched it straight away and thought it was excellent value; for a fan like me it was rare to hear Bruce's own voice. Some of the interviews were very poignant, knowing as we do now that the people being interviewed are no longer with us either. 

#12 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 775 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 22:49

New motto for Auckland's Bruce McLaren School.

http://www.stuff.co....ll-things-bruce

#13 D28

D28

• 2,023 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 17:41

Very nice tribute film of Bruce was aired just now by the TSN F1 crew in Canada; I take it to be the Sky crew? Herbert, Hill and Brundle.

The film has narration from Howden Ganley, Alastair Caldwell, Jackie Stewart and Jan  McLaren. It has some nice racing footage from Spa and possibly Mosport.

Well done and timely. I am wondering could this be from the new documentary? Anyone seeing, please let us know.

#14 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:01

I watched the grand prix on Sky and they introduced the Bruce McLaren tribute as being footage from the new documentary.

David

#15 D28

D28

• 2,023 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:54

Thanks that's what I thought. Wished it had been a bit longer.

#16 drivers71

drivers71

• 306 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 13:36

Having been fortunate to be invited to a pre-release screening of the Bruce McLaren film in London, I was prepared to be disappointed - as I was with the few racing films in the past few years (eg: the Hunt vs Lauda farce). How wrong I was. This is a truly great film for anyone who witnessed these great years of racing. Historically and factually correct, the previously unseen period footage is excellent and considerable input from family and friends added much credence. His untimely death was covered in detail, and was most moving, without sentimentality.

At last, a straightforward and honest appraisal of a highly talented and focused individual, who's name quite justifiably lives on through the McLaren empire.  :clap:

#17 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:39

An alert for Strayan TNF-ers. I just received a (regular) email from Event Cinemas promoting this movie and the key thing is that here in Adelaide at least, it's only running for three days - today, Sat 24 and Sunday 25.

I have applied for and been granted a leave pass from 'er indoors and I'm going on Saturday afternoon.   :)

#18 john aston

john aston

• 2,695 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:47

I think Drivers71 is being unfair on Rush . It wasn't a documentary, but a drama based on fact and as such I found it entertaining enough and far from a farce. There have been far, far, worse films with a racing theme. 

For we old farts of course McLaren  is a joy- how could it not be with such evocative archive footage ? But for a  wider audience it's just some grainy home movies about somebody they've never heard of . Add in some current footage of some old men you've also never heard of  getting tearful about  their mate who got killed in a racing car and that's your lot really . .

I really enjoyed McLaren but I wouldn't expect many others to - the Times review was poor . But I did enjoy The Damned United , Michael Sheen's wonderful portrayal of Brian Clough , despite , or probably because I know nothing at all about football 

Edited by john aston, 23 June 2017 - 09:02.

#19 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:51

The Damned United didn't worry too much about facts. Clough's whole supposed motivation for wanting to outdo Revie was one thing, but to blatantly alter match results too......

Oh and the timing of the Dave Mackay stuff was wrong as well.

Edited by E.B., 23 June 2017 - 08:52.

Advertisement

#20 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 13:20

- the Times review was poor. 

Up themselves as usual.  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

In some contrast, there's this.

#21 D28

D28

• 2,023 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 14:08

That is a positive review. It seems as the N American screenings will be somewhat restricted and that's fair enough given the length and serious approach of the subject material. The appeal probably will be to dedicated racing enthusiasts and admirers of this great engineer, innovator and Racer. Can't wait to see it on the big screen.

#22 Kenzclass

Kenzclass

• 169 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 14:33

Looks like it's restricted to 4 showings in Brisbane, Australia theatres (1 x Thursday, 2 x Saturday, 1 x Sunday). At this stage anyway.

I'm going Sunday, leave pass or not.

#23 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 14:52

The Damned United didn't worry too much about facts. Clough's whole supposed motivation for wanting to outdo Revie was one thing, but to blatantly alter match results too......

Oh and the timing of the Dave Mackay stuff was wrong as well.

Sorry for straying further OT but I also really enjoyed Michael Sheen's performance in The Damned United but, being a fan of 1970s football, was aware of some of the inaccuracies. Jonny Giles successfully sued the author David Peace for the portrayal of his role in Clough's downfall.

Peace writes some good stuff, but sometimes treads on thin ice. I think GB84 is an excellent recreation of the miners' strike, possibly fictional, possibly authentic.....who knows? But nobody has sued so far!  (There again, in GB84 Peace changes most names to avoid easy legal action). 

I haven't seen McLaren yet but am very pleased that a straightforward documentary style appears to have been used. It may not pull in the crowds but Bruce deserves something dignified rather than sensational.

#24 john aston

john aston

• 2,695 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 16:42

Hardly - the work was reviewed as a film on general release to the public. The fact that people like us enjoyed doesn't  mean I'd recommend it  to any non  enthusiast . I find the Times reviews excellent , unlike the Sunday Times'  efforts which  are appalling .

#25 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:19

Just arrived home after McLaren. Outstanding. It set just the right tone... a well thought through account of his life, lots of interest for we racing followers 'of a certain age', a lot of footage I'd never seen before (the film archive credits at the end go on forever) and most of all, respectful.

Very much put a lump in my throat. For Kiwis, I think it will put a tear in the eyes.

#26 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:40

Just arrived home after McLaren. Outstanding. It set just the right tone... a well thought through account of his life, lots of interest for we racing followers 'of a certain age', a lot of footage I'd never seen before (the film archive credits at the end go on forever) and most of all, respectful.

Very much put a lump in my throat. For Kiwis, I think it will put a tear in the eyes.

Were you at Marion as well?

As I have just came home from seeing it too.

I thought a bit all over the place but by and large still worthwhile. Some of those interviews were quite old.

And with a lot of familiar names to this site as well as general motorsport still.

#27 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 14:22

Yes Lee, the 1pm session.

#28 ed holly

ed holly

• 387 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 21:26

Seen this movie last night. Having owned the 1.5 litre Brabham BT6  car that won the NZ National Formula championship in 1965 and 1966, at the hands of Roly Levis,  and was prior to that in 1963 was the works Brabham for Denny Hulme in Formula Junior, I was lucky enough to meet on numerous occasions some of those interviewed in the film. I have to say I thought it was very well done and historically correct from my knowledge.

#29 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 23:51

Yes Lee, the 1pm session.

The 8pm session for us late nighters!

#30 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:08

I noticed this thread had some Australian comment this morning, to find out 'McLaren' has been released into Aussie cinemas.

I'm definitely not a regular cinema goer, maybe 5 times in the last umpteen years. However on the strength of Bruce McLaren being a major player in Cooper history, I found myself googling viewing times soon after looking at this thread. Finding an outer east of Melbourne cinema listing for 4pm today. So that's where I would be come that time and I even asked my partner if she wanted to go, complete with the warning that it's all motor racing related. Expecting a big yawn!

Bottomline was I absolutely enjoyed this film. Probably more so because most of the footage is genuine rather than recreated and those that played their significant parts got to tell their Bruce tales. The downside is that because of the long gestation period of this film, some of those significant players are no longer with us and hence don't get to see the end product.

I congratulate Roger Donaldson and his backers and team for seeing the project through.

Viewings must be pretty limited, but well worth seeing on a big screen if you can.
Check this out where you can see what's happening in your area of Oz...
https://www.flicks.c...movie/mc-laren/

Stephen

PS - Anne actually enjoyed the film and didn't lose nterest. Making the comment of "There was lots of your mate John Cooper in it." In fact of the 60 or so of us in the cinema, must stayed right til the last credit rolled and a modern photo of Pop' Mclaren's old garage was shown. I also suspect that it's hard for grown men not to get emotional with parts of this film. I was teary eyed on occasion.

#31 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:28

Hey cooper, I'd forgotten about the forward roll! I think we got to see two of 'em!

#32 Kenzclass

Kenzclass

• 169 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 00:46

I echo your comments and sentiments entirely, having seen it yesterday lunchtime.

A mark of its interest and effectiveness as a film is that my 30-something daughter thoroughly enjoyed it too. It helps that she is a casual follower of latter-day F1, and accompanies me occasionally to historic meetings.

An unexpected bonus was when I was allocated the seat numbered M10.  Guess I can now say I've sat in an M10 at McLaren!

#33 SKL

SKL

• 1,412 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:22

Probably not too much of a chance to see this in a theatre in the USA...  I remember seeing Senna a few years ago at a "specialty" type theatre in Scottsdale AZ but it is no longer there.

Watching the indycar race at Road America today reminds me that was where I actually saw Bruce race many years ago in the Can-Am.

#34 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:44

Me, too! (then, not today)

I'll be ordering a DVD of the McLaren doc asap.

#35 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:16

SKL and E1pix, that's a shame - that it doesn't appear to be on public release in the States. Hope your DVDs arrive con mucho gusto!  :)

Edited by Gary Davies, 27 June 2017 - 12:42.

#36 SKL

SKL

• 1,412 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:39

Where are you finding a DVD for the USA?  Only thing I could find at amazon was for non USA Chinese version with subtitles!!

#37 D28

D28

• 2,023 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:25

Where are you finding a DVD for the USA?  Only thing I could find at amazon was for non USA Chinese version with subtitles!!

Amazon.co.uk has the DVD you can price it at this link. But I didn't find it yet at least at Amazon USA. It is being shown at special screenings, Indy IMS, and at the Petersen Museum, Don't know about more general distribution but worth checking on.

Edited by D28, 27 June 2017 - 02:26.

#38 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,352 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:56

Saw it yesterday great movie ,well made and factual .

#39 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:33

Thanks Guys, I was presuming I could buy it. Please advise if you find I can!

Advertisement

#40 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 242 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 19:06

D28--when is the showing at the Peterson?  I don't see anything listed on their website.

Thanks

#41 D28

D28

• 2,023 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 20:07

D28--when is the showing at the Peterson?  I don't see anything listed on their website.

Thanks

It was last Sat June 24 and was listed as the So California debut of the film. I read of it in Vintage Motor Sport newsletter and thought to post it here, but didn't, thought it would have been well publicized.

Edited by D28, 27 June 2017 - 21:25.

#42 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 242 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 17:43

Dang!  Missed it.

Thanks, D28.  Maybe Laemmle will show it--they screened "Senna" a couple of years ago.  Oddly enough, I saw "The 24 Hour War" on a Lufthansa flight to Germany two weeks ago so sometimes interesting films show up in unusual places.

Gerry

#43 D28

D28

• 2,023 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:59

A bit more information again from Vintage Motorsport mewsletter;

New York, NY -- The official trailer for McLaren, the true story of Bruce McLaren, was released yesterday (July 12), along with information about its Aug. 25 release in the U.S. via video-on-demand. 

Preceding the national release will be a series of special event screenings, culminating with an Aug. 18 showing during Monterey Car Week. 

#44 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 23:15

For his 32 years he left his mark on motor racing across the globe and made New Zealand proud.

Today would have been Bruce McLaren's 80th birthday.

Bruce_Mc_Laren_NZ_GP.jpg

This piece is from the 1959 New Zealand GP programme.

Stephen

Edited by cooper997, 29 August 2017 - 23:17.

#45 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 19:56

Watched this just now.

A very touching and beautiful tribute and film about a clearly extremely talented and much loved man.

A man who had that element of a esteemed military leader about him, a man who people would follow, as Ganley says, if he told us we were going to march over the Sahara tomorrow, we would have done it.

A rare quality. And one missing completely in motorsport now largely.

And how lovely was Patty, to do what she did after he died was simply awe inspiring and very moving. A fabulous lady.

Did not know much about Bruce before this movie, he was not a man of my generation, but clearly a man of massive talent, principle and desire.

And the film does him every justice, and more.

#46 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:37

Some of the filming was recreated using actors and historic cars which was a little disconcerting and I wasn’t too keen on the cartoon animations (also used in the Tommy Byrne movie). One real quibble was the somewhat intrusive music, which is used throughout the movie and is distracting especially at the interviews. Overall, I’m glad I went and I reckon anyone on this forum will enjoy it!

The acting bits, such as someone rolling on the ground pretending that there was an invisible alcohol fire, are pretty dire and as for the intrusive and unnecessary loud music, so many film/television offerings are ruined that way these days.

However Cappo's right that I did enjoy most of it, but as a near contemporary of McLaren's a lot of what is included are events that I remember and were not always quite as presented - e.g. the Le Mans win after the intended dead heat had nothing to do with BMcL being slightly ahead at the line after 4 p.m..

In the script he is presented as an innovative engineer and I can say that he was able to explain lucidly concepts that would have baffled many of his contemporary drivers. I was at a talk he gave to H&BMC during which he told us about the acceleration/braking-driven fuel tank system on the CanAm cars which was so simple once it was thought of, but not many would have thought of it.

#47 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:38

I was in the happy situation of being able to borrow the DVD from the public library system here in Auckland, New Zealand, and as it was a documentary, it was not only free, but I could have kept it out for 28 days! As there were 30 plus waiting for the next  available one of the 8 copies I just watched it twice and took it back after a few days. 

I enjoyed it as a record and a memorial, and a reminder of  the atmosphere of an interesting era when motor racing was less organised, but considerably more dangerous.

Stu 

#48 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:23

- e.g. the Le Mans win after the intended dead heat had nothing to do with BMcL being slightly ahead at the line after 4 p.m.

I may have misunderstood your meaning here, Allan, but what was the criterion for winning if not this?

#49 Garsted

Garsted

• 183 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:35

For his 32 years he left his mark on motor racing across the globe and made New Zealand proud.

Today would have been Bruce McLaren's 80th birthday.

Bruce_Mc_Laren_NZ_GP.jpg

This piece is from the 1959 New Zealand GP programme.

Stephen

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but in the penultimate paragraph "Coopers already had tested nearly 3000 drivers at their school"  eh? I've never heard of that, it seems like a big undertaking for a small outfit like Cooper.  Does anybody know more about this?

Steve

#50 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:00

There were a few letters in Motor Sport in 1959 referring variously to a 'Cooper Racing Drivers' Scheme' or the 'Cooper Driving School' - some describing it in unequivocally critical terms, and more akin to a latter-day paid-for driving-experience event; and nothing at all like what we would think of as a driver being 'tested' with a possible view to racing for the team.

I wonder if someone had heard of this at the time and conflated it with the idea of the factory seriously evaluating potential factory drivers. I can't see that, taken at face value, the report makes any sense - unless a number zeros have been inadvertently added to the figure...

Edited by 2F-001, 04 October 2017 - 11:01.