Photo

Australian riders in Europe

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 15:40

Forgive me for raising the subject twice but given my poor state of health and lack of stamina I can't find the answers given here earlier. During the 50s my friend Bill de Selincourt was involved as pit crew with a Aussie bike rider in world championships. The first poster to answer me knew the rider immediately. Now I have been asked again. Help

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 16:00

This would be the earlier thread, I think:

Harry Hinton

#3 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 20:19

This would be the earlier thread, I think:

Harry Hinton

As ever thank you Tim
John

#4 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 21:35

This thread reminded me that I'd been intending for some time to search out a copy of Circus Life by Don Cox,  I did so last night and happily a copy is on its way to me from Milwaukee !!  .Thanks for starting the thread John :clap:

Edited by LittleChris, 25 June 2017 - 21:35.

#5 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 21:35

19420583_1908380119378240_30406567089788How's about some Aussies in Oz ?  Nice pic this from Oran Park, 1967.   The bloke up front is Geoff Curtis 500 Manx who later took up speedway and lost his life at the Sydney Shrowground in '73. Chasing are Larry Simons, Ron Wilson, Keo Maddern and Eric Debbenham.  I think only Larry is still with us.  The man himself can be found on Facebook where his brilliant memory and general enthusiasm means his posts are often worth a read. 

Edited by Russell Burrows, 27 June 2017 - 22:09.

#6 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 22:07

The snapper of the above pic is Sydneysider, Ken Preece.   For some reason I couldn't get this wanky site to edit the post.  Is one of the reasons for the drastic reduction in activity the fact that whatever they've changed here just doesn't work properly.  it now takes about three times as long as before to post pics.  

Edited by Russell Burrows, 27 June 2017 - 22:08.

#7 larryd

larryd

• 676 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:04

Russ - would that be the Ron Wilson who spent a couple of seasons in the 60s riding in our Ulster National road races?

#8 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 18:48

Russ - would that be the Ron Wilson who spent a couple of seasons in the 60s riding in our Ulster National road races?

Watcha, Larry.  I think he did a stint overseas as the Aussies say, so probably is the same guy.  I think I know a man who can tell us. 

Just reminded myself that Larry Simons has a bit history with Ron.....  

Edited by Russell Burrows, 06 July 2017 - 19:48.

#9 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 16:38

Watcha, Larry.  I think he did a stint overseas as the Aussies say, so probably is the same guy.  I think I know a man who can tell us. 

Just reminded myself that Larry Simons has a bit history with Ron.....  

Ron did about three years in Europe, apparently, so could well be him, Larry.  I was hoping that ex Aussie racer, Larry Simmons ,who it seems knew Ron, might come on here and tell us more about him.  No sign of that yet, but who knows he might in future.  Soon after returning to Sydney, Wilson, it seems barged his way up the inside of Simmons at the top of the Hill at Amaroo, leaving Larry in a heap in the dirt, and he still remembers. :(  Have to say, I know from personal experience that it wasn't the best place to crash. 

Ron scored a 17th place in the '67 500 Ulster , but seemingly started in no other GP's - gotta be him. 

Edited by Russell Burrows, 08 July 2017 - 17:57.

#10 Verdun

Verdun

• 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:51

This thread reminded me that I'd been intending for some time to search out a copy of Circus Life by Don Cox,  I did so last night and happily a copy is on its way to me from Milwaukee !!  .Thanks for starting the thread John :clap:

Although most of the content has been published here before in magazines, Cox' effort is still remarkable (and quality motorcycle publications are rare). 

#11 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 23:04

It's a great book Verdun. My first motorsport love was cars but I've tried to expand my knowledge to encompass other forms given how sanitised that genre has become over the last 25 years and road racing is my current focus.

Off for my first TT next month ( doing a day trip on the Weds so three races in prospect assuming it's not p!ssing down  ) but absolutely gutted to hear of Bruce Anstey's health problems and hope he'll be back next year