Photo

Photos

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:02

Posting pics aint as straightforward as it used to be, but are some of you dudes not now able to do it at all  ?  It would be interesting to know about this and we could then perhaps feed it back to whoever operates this site.   I find that pics appear only after I click away from the post and then click back  :drunk: at least mostly.   Someone else explained that his screen goes into ghost mode, making posting impossible.   I'm sure the operators would welcome our collective input  :rolleyes:  

Advertisement

#2 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 13:46

Posting pics aint as straightforward as it used to be, but are some of you dudes not now able to do it at all  ?  It would be interesting to know about this and we could then perhaps feed it back to whoever operates this site.   I find that pics appear only after I click away from the post and then click back  :drunk: at least mostly.   Someone else explained that his screen goes into ghost mode, making posting impossible.   I'm sure the operators would welcome our collective input  :rolleyes:

I hope I have come to peace with the upload here. My main problem is Photobucket, the handling is just cumbersome. Ok, don't look a gift horse in the mouth...The passage I underlined is normaly solved with a 'refresh'. Please give it a try, Russ :clap:

Edited by Rennmax, 12 July 2017 - 13:49.

#3 Jim77

Jim77

• 120 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 14:33

If the forum software has an option to allow attachments, this could be enabled which would allow users to directly upload and not use a hosting site. Of course I do not know what the effect on the operation of the forum would be. I presume who ever has access to system options  could make the change.

p.s  I can't see a button shown for attachments in the editor on my screen.

#4 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 20:59

My main problem is Photobucket, the handling is just cumbersome. 

Photobucket has become painful to use. You try to click on something only to find a few seconds later that an ad has popped up there and you're taken away :mad:  
Another forum I'm on has lost a lot of linked pictures from there as they are slowly disabling linking, I had an e-mail from them the other day basically saying I can only link pictures if I 'upgrade' - i.e. pay - to their 'plus 500 plan'. I'm currently downloading all my pictures from there - again painfully slow - while I seek an alternate hosting method. 

#5 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 21:12

I hope I have come to peace with the upload here. My main problem is Photobucket, the handling is just cumbersome. Ok, don't look a gift horse in the mouth...The passage I underlined is normaly solved with a 'refresh'. Please give it a try, Russ :clap:

Thanks, Rupert, I'll have a go. 

#6 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 21:20

If the forum software has an option to allow attachments, this could be enabled which would allow users to directly upload and not use a hosting site. Of course I do not know what the effect on the operation of the forum would be. I presume who ever has access to system options  could make the change.

p.s  I can't see a button shown for attachments in the editor on my screen.

Nor me, or how to contact the moderators which I was required to do lots years ago. 

Edited by Russell Burrows, 12 July 2017 - 21:20.

#7 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 21:40

Photobucket has become painful to use. You try to click on something only to find a few seconds later that an ad has popped up there and you're taken away :mad:  
Another forum I'm on has lost a lot of linked pictures from there as they are slowly disabling linking, I had an e-mail from them the other day basically saying I can only link pictures if I 'upgrade' - i.e. pay - to their 'plus 500 plan'. I'm currently downloading all my pictures from there - again painfully slow - while I seek an alternate hosting method. 

Watcha Fastfit, I heard about the charging thing.   I've had nothing from them at all though.  Maybe says something about the quality of my photos. 

There does seem to be more than a few free hosting sites around, thankfully. 

Edited by Russell Burrows, 12 July 2017 - 21:43.

#8 Robin127

Robin127

• 506 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 22:33

A whole bunch of photos have disappeared off this site since photobucket decided to charge.

#9 Jim77

Jim77

• 120 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 22:57

Not sure if this will be suitable all users on here but I use a website builder site there are quite a few around. Normally free to use that means storage of documents / photos to be used on your website but of course you will not be building a website, long as you don't use any extended services or publish a website i.e. something beginning with h-t-t-p-:-/-/  (appears editor is doesn't like normal spelling)

Check before registration that website builder is free to build your website, if free give it a try. Perhaps you might even become a web designer.

I suppose hosting sites should try to make it easier for uploading / downloading but of course they charge for it.

Edited by Jim77, 12 July 2017 - 23:05.

#10 Macca

Macca

• 3,725 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:24

I use postimage, they seem fine so far......

Paul M

#11 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 20:32

Looks like we will lose most of the images from the site due to this photobucket issue!!

I've been getting warning emails for the past few days which I assumed were false but obviously not, so far my images still seem to be ok but others have now gone, grrrr!!!!

#12 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:09

A whole bunch of photos have disappeared off this site since photobucket decided to charge.

Pictures were moved from here a long time ago.  I don't know for certain when all this photo bucket stuff appeared as an issue, but the mass disappearance of photos from here happened several years ago.   There are quite a few alternatives to Photobucket, a site that's now hard work to use anyway. 

#13 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:20

Looks like we will lose most of the images from the site due to this photobucket issue!!

I've been getting warning emails for the past few days which I assumed were false but obviously not, so far my images still seem to be ok but others have now gone, grrrr!!!!

Warnings from Photobucket ?  Any that have 'gone' are surely still on your desktop, files, or whatever ? I've used postimage previously and no probs. 

#14 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:27

Neither Atlas nor Autosport ever supported posting pictures as attachments. Nor will it ever be offered. In the early days, when Atlas was pretty much a hand-to-mouth operation, it was a simple matter of cost; more server space = more money to the hosting company. Autosport continued this policy, mainly for copyright reasons - in simple terms, if photos are not directly hosted on their servers then they aren't responsible for any breach of copyright.

As to previous 'disappearances' - these are usually due to similar situations to the current palaver over Photobucket. Either - as in the case of Imageshack - they go down the charging route or - eg Dropbox - the facility is simply withdrawn. People may close accounts or simply delete pictures. So there's no one reason.

For those who haven't seen it, I've done an updated image posting thread, which includes a step-by-step guide to using Postimage and also instructions on how to use your Google+ account (if you have a Google account, then you also have a Google+ account - even if you didn't realise it!)

http://forums.autosp...ated-july-2017/

#15 Jim77

Jim77

• 120 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:03

At last, an explanation.

Thank you.

Edited by Jim77, 14 July 2017 - 11:09.

#16 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 13:58

Warnings from Photobucket ? Any that have 'gone' are surely still on your desktop, files, or whatever ? I've used postimage previously and no probs.

I've still got the photos Russell but not all those scanned programmes and press reports as I didnt save them.

I can re post the images if required but its just a shame the original threads are now becoming a bit of a mess with missing images.

Re emails from photobucket, i've had a couple from them saying that my hosting days are numbered unless I upgrade to a paid service, I ignored the first one as I assumed it was the usual Nigerian scam to get my credit card details, then another one arrived so I did some investigating and found it really was happening.

Maybe mine are still there because I dont have a particularly large collection hosted compared to others.

Edited by Paul Collins, 14 July 2017 - 14:06.

#17 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 17:33

I've still got the photos Russell but not all those scanned programmes and press reports as I didnt save them.

I can re post the images if required but its just a shame the original threads are now becoming a bit of a mess with missing images.

Re emails from photobucket, i've had a couple from them saying that my hosting days are numbered unless I upgrade to a paid service, I ignored the first one as I assumed it was the usual Nigerian scam to get my credit card details, then another one arrived so I did some investigating and found it really was happening.

Maybe mine are still there because I dont have a particularly large collection hosted compared to others.

Oh, Ok Paul.  I shouldn't really be discussing anything IT related at all - I know nothing.  Good to see you back here. 

#18 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 17:50

I understand the 'no attachments' argument due to server space and therefore cost, one of the one-make owner's forums I frequent took the same stance to keep the site free to users. 

As I understand it - your free Photobucket account isn't going to vanish, they are simply disabling your ability to link pictures from it onto forums such as this unless you upgrade (i.e. pay)

Just in case I'm downloading anything I have on PB, but it's a heck of a performance, while seeking an alternative hosting method. If you've been a bit anal like me and saved pictures in various albums it's a long-winded affair.

If everything is in your 'bucket' then it's just a matter of clicking 'download album' and following the instructions. You'll be asked for confirmation and eventually, depending on the number or files, you'll receive an e-mail with a link to download a zip file of all your files. This is a copy, they'll still be there on PB until you actually delete them. 

Edited by fastfitter, 14 July 2017 - 17:51.

#19 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:30

Just testing. 

006.jpg

Edited by Russell Burrows, 16 July 2017 - 08:33.

Advertisement

#20 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 17:28

Since the free lunch at image shack is over post image has been the way to go, never easy even with a mac but far from rocket science.

#21 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 13:06

This one is on Postimage, but I don't know who it is...

1017fr_BMpageoutfitincravena.jpg

I don't think there were many motorcycle races at Catalina Park at all.

#22 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:16

Pretty sure it's John Dunscombe, Ray, the bloke who built the Flying Bedstead sidecar.

#23 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 16:25

Test from Google drive

Well, that doesn't work in the Img tags or the link icon "You are not allowed to use that image extension in this community"  :well: