- - - - -

The Official F1® App [merged threads]

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#1 Graveltrappen

Graveltrappen

• 1,261 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 13:24

Is the app worth it? Anyone round here using it?

I notice it's now able for a monthly subscription rather than the previous yearly option.

Advertisement

#2 ThomasBB

ThomasBB

• 30 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 13:43

I notice it's now able for a monthly subscription rather than the previous yearly option.

Really? I should probably cancel the account for the winter months then... or is monthly more expensive than yearly?

You can use the paid account for the mobile Apps, Win10 App and browser live timing. I'm only using the browser timing and have been happy with it ever since they started the service. This year I can't remember a single time it had any problem (as opposed to previous years and especially the java applet times). The Apps have the fancy top down view with the live track positions, but that seems to lag behind half a lap all the time... at least when I tried it some time ago.

#3 Graveltrappen

Graveltrappen

• 1,261 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 13:53

It's 2.29 a month or £19.99 for the year.... so if you do it monthly then it's £27.48 a year, but you're right you can then drop the non f1 months... which would probably bring it back to around £20 now that the season runs March to November

#4 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 13:55

When I checked the Winphone version, it wanted me to register my card details with FOM so that they could take the monthly payment directly, and having seen FOM's attitude to money in the past*, I decided discretion was the better part of valour

*What's mine is mine.  What's yours is also mine.  Subject to a 5% annual escalator.

#5 Graveltrappen

Graveltrappen

• 1,261 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 20:07

I see now they have last years pole lap onboard and the bit telling you when each of the channels is next showing f1 content is handy too.

#6 loki

loki

• 12,249 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 20:14

When I checked the Winphone version, it wanted me to register my card details with FOM so that they could take the monthly payment directly, and having seen FOM's attitude to money in the past*, I decided discretion was the better part of valour

*What's mine is mine.  What's yours is also mine.  Subject to a 5% annual escalator.

Auto renewal is standard fare with media subscriptions.

#7 Ickx

Ickx

• 907 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:29

Anyone having problems with sign in on the F1 app? It says I have the wrong password although I have tried to reset it and tried the temporary one they e-mail. 

#8 Borko

Borko

• 2,229 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:32

Anyone having problems with sign in on the F1 app? It says I have the wrong password although I have tried to reset it and tried the temporary one they e-mail. 

It's working fine for me both desktop&mobile

#9 K20a

K20a

• 353 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:32

Yeah, I had the same thing. I just requested another temporary password and it worked fine.

#10 Ickx

Ickx

• 907 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:27

I didn't remember there was a website. Login there to change the password worked. Thanks. 

#11 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:02

this new live timing feature... what a disaster :down: :down: :down:

#12 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,427 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:02

Wasn't working at all, here. Just a circle circling.

Free account.

#13 Signori

Signori

• 465 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:06

Can't make use of the full screen due to the layout and design, absolute joke 

#14 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,620 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:19

This is an absolute disaster. They have updated the app, offering much LESS information than before, in a more difficult to read format.

#15 Borat

Borat

• 242 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:31

There was nothing wrong with the actual timing part or the f1 app, it was fast and easy to use (the menu system was horrible) this new interface seems to have less options and much harder to see what’s going on. I throught maybe I was logged into the free version at first. Clearly who ever did the UX for this has never watched a gp!

Edited by Borat, 14 September 2018 - 10:33.

#16 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,620 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:38

There was nothing wrong with the actual timing part or the f1 app, it was fast and easy to use (the menu system was horrible) this new interface seems to have less options and much harder to see what’s going on. I throught maybe I was logged into the free version at first. Clearly who ever did the UX for this has never watched a gp!

Same here! I was not worried at first - I thought that it is simply a login issue that should be quickly resolved.

However, it is absolutely disastrous - not worth the money at all. What most f1 fans want to see is the actual timing, which has been seriously downgraded.

#17 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,512 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:39

Yes it's horrible. Didn't work for most of practice here at all either. 

I hope they fix it by changing the qualifying format. 

#18 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:44

Ahhh shiiiiittteee!!!! I haven't tried the updated version today but if it sucks that's ruined such a big part of F1 for me. I can't watch a race without LT

#19 cadwal

cadwal

• 81 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:03

Ahhh shiiiiittteee!!!! I haven't tried the updated version today but if it sucks that's ruined such a big part of F1 for me. I can't watch a race without LT

Yep, it's ruined.

You can see at most 7 drivers at a time. Instead of having easy access to fastest lap/sectors on the same page it is now a separate page so no quick flip to see where a hot lap might put a driver. All in all a total loss.

It even looks like the results for previous sessions will be shown right next to the download link for the sessions  :mad:

Advertisement

#20 xtremeclock

xtremeclock

• 1,687 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:06

Previous version (Android): https://apkpure.com/...details/version

#21 SamH123

SamH123

• 2,963 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:08

I seem to have dodged a bullet as my Ipad has not updated the app.  It doesn't appear to be queued for update in the app store either.

Hopefully it stays that way

#22 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,620 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:18

Yep, it's ruined.

You can see at most 7 drivers at a time. Instead of having easy access to fastest lap/sectors on the same page it is now a separate page so no quick flip to see where a hot lap might put a driver. All in all a total loss.

It even looks like the results for previous sessions will be shown right next to the download link for the sessions  :mad:

Also, you cannot see the actual sectors and laptimes. Usually during FP2 we compare the race runs - this is now impossible.

#23 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:07

I did sent them an e-mail that the new live timing feature is a real disaster and if they could please fix it soon or return to the former version. This is the reply I got:

Thank you for your feedback and for being such a loyal F1 Fan.
We really do care about our fans suggestions, please keep in mind that we always improve our features and product.

From the pit,
Alex

I just hope he accidently forgot the word ‘try’ in the bit in bold :lol: :lol:

Edited by Ivanhoe, 14 September 2018 - 12:08.

#24 BCM

BCM

• 1,965 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:16

Finally managed to get into the app and they have ruined it. There was nothing wrong with the previous incarnation apart from it losing sync with the actual timing to often.

This new one is more form over function. 

#25 Redballs

Redballs

• 27 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:16

@f1help is the place to offer feedback – I suggest tweeting/sending some constructive feedback there with details of what you’d like changed.

Edited by Redballs, 14 September 2018 - 12:18.

#26 cadwal

cadwal

• 81 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:19

@f1help is the place to offer feedback – I suggest tweeting/sending some constructive feedback there with details of what you’d like changed.

Offering "constructive" feedback would require to describe the functionality and visuals of the old app in detail from memory. Just roll back, its easier for everyone.

#27 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:26

What a dissapointment. This year I was expecting a great streaming app and all they've done is take away live timing essentially.

#28 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 24,956 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:41

Obviously they a in dire need of a Quality Assurance Professional.

Tell them to hit me up, I'm being pimped out on hour-basis.... 🤡

#29 chris72

chris72

• 38 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:44

OMG! The new app is totally useless for live timing! Using it on iPad pro and when previously I could see the whole grid with current and best sectors, now I see just 7 drivers with current sector times. Now I have huge font size and so much unused space. If I hadn’t annual subscription I would cancel it right away.

#30 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,620 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:49

OMG! The new app is totally useless for live timing! Using it on iPad pro and when previously I could see the whole grid with current and best sectors, now I see just 7 drivers with current sector times. Now I have huge font size and so much unused space. If I hadn’t annual subscription I would cancel it right away.

And you can't see the current laptimes!

Come to think of it, they managed to make the app worse in every way! Aesthetics, readability, volume of information, etc. :rotfl:  :rotfl:

That is quite an achievement!

#31 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,797 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 13:24

Way to go.

Totally ruin live timing. It’s just awful.

#32 grunf77

grunf77

• 509 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 13:59

They dumb it down, I wouldn't be surprised if they offer  super duper F1 app with all the stuff we had before, of course for more $$$.

#33 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,469 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 15:37

Not worth the money anymore. Way to go, Liberty  :up:

#34 Collective

Collective

• 1,524 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 18:26

After the latest update, no. Atrocious.

#35 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 18:36

You can use the paid account for the mobile Apps, Win10 App and browser live timing.

I don't think a Win 10 app exists at this point. It seems to have been scrapped this season.

Edited by beachdrifter, 14 September 2018 - 18:37.

#36 ANF

ANF

• 29,339 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 21:59

I saw this screenshot. Is it really supposed to look like this? With the numbers in boxes?

image.jpg

#37 aray

aray

• 5,820 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:46

My app is showing to subscribe suddenly , when i already has subscription upto april,2019. :confused:

It is not recognizing my current subscription.

#38 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,620 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:47

I saw this screenshot. Is it really supposed to look like this? With the numbers in boxes?

image.jpg

Unfortunately, yes.

#39 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,627 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:05

Yeah, and they fade in, which is awful when you want an instant sector recognition.

Advertisement

#40 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,620 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:21

Ι think that the biggest problem is the absence of the old "timing" tab. I don't know if you used it, but this is exactly how I watched the races: In this tab, even on a mobile phone you could monitor at least 10-15 drivers, with live gaps + actual sector times and tyre information(+ tyre age).

Now that this is missing, watching the race will be much more difficult.

#41 keshav

keshav

• 2,732 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:34

Ι think that the biggest problem is the absence of the old "timing" tab. I don't know if you used it, but this is exactly how I watched the races: In this tab, even on a mobile phone you could monitor at least 10-15 drivers, with live gaps + actual sector times and tyre information(+ tyre age).

Now that this is missing, watching the race will be much more difficult.

That was fantastic.

I also couldn’t figure out who is in the pits and who is not. Very confusing.

#42 Stallknecht

Stallknecht

• 313 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:04

I had to pay the yearly fee AGAIN after the update. In return the live timing didnt work... great

#43 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,427 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:10

I remember a few years ago, with the old app, i paid like 10€/yr for a working thing.

Edit : that was 2014

Edited by Stephane, 15 September 2018 - 08:11.

#44 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,391 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:26

Aaarrrrggghhhhh....

Its horrible! Curious how it will function during races, but it truly sucks for fp...

#45 lahill

lahill

• 478 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:28

I wish they take a step back. At firsr glance, this seems worse than before.

#46 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,391 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:30

Ha! My old tablet hasn't updated yet. (Auto update switched off). Still works. Let's see how long that will last..

#47 Laniakea

Laniakea

• 478 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:34

Im gobsmacked..how Formula1 can come up with this crap..

Weird new app it almost seems like formula 1 has outsourced this new app-creation to the CEOs 12-year-old kid since something like this can end up to the end user' who is paying.

there is so much wasted room and huge font with almost no features.

Extremely limited and not gonna renew If this is what we have to look forward for..

Been impressed up to now by Liberty Media entrance, but it seems nobody is using this app at formula1 themselves since they can deliver such a product.

Have tested on Ipad 2018 and 5.5"inch Android phone L2Max and 6.8 P8Max Android phone. and its all the same crappy limited piece of crap.

The previous was not perfect, but way way better and 8/10 this one 2/10 imo.   :down:

Any place you can download the old app for either Android or iOS?

Edited by Laniakea, 15 September 2018 - 10:36.

#48 amardeep

amardeep

• 586 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:58

Free live timing on the website is downgraded as well. No sector "colour bars" just a single laptime delta. I used to love the sector times, then put up with the colour bars so at least you had some sense of who was out, if they were on a quick lap. It was still quite compelling to see you favourite team and drivers pop in a green sector and wonder how the next one would go. Now it's pretty much useless. No idea what you get if you pay, or how much you pay, or whether you have to pay for "everything" (e.g. F1 TV etc). Guess I'll either look into it, or follow even more loosely - I used to never miss a single race, but with free-to-air TV coverage no longer being live every other weekend or so, I'm a lot less incentivised to make sure I catch it, so I miss a few races, see some later, intend to see some later and never get around to it because I've already seen the result etc.

Edit : confused, did I hallucinate the above, or did it change back, or did I confuse the mobile version with the website ? The free timing on the website currently looks like it used to, which is a good thing.

Edited by amardeep, 15 September 2018 - 12:31.

#49 Laniakea

Laniakea

• 478 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:22

Also found an old dual OS tablet Windows10&Android where I hurried to close auto update and it has not been used ½ year..and it seems to work, just not sure how I can get it over to my main tablet or share it' as it doesn't seem to have the share apk feature.
Certainly looks miles better.
Here some new screenshots from P3 and Singapore certainly looks great in night theme.
MIndblowing how they can go from this' to that.   :drunk:

l9CCdUX.png

Z5AZSO3.png

New app on a Ipad2018 iOS 11

Horisontal view.

rbtg8lC.png

Vertical viewpoint Ipad 2018.

VDRPkAn.png

Edited by Laniakea, 15 September 2018 - 11:42.

#50 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:34

Don't like new version at all. Used the old one always. This one is terrible. Can't have all on one screen, stops playing audio when app is not visible. Old one I could set on and go to forum and go back app and audio kept playing. Now I can't.

Very disappointed.