- - - - -

The Official F1® App [merged threads]

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#101 romaincrouton

romaincrouton

• 19 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 23:04

Wow, I had to pop to Tesco around lap 40. The app is now unusable, everything was laboured slow and confusing. It was clunky at times before but you could atleast follow what was happening, I gave up and had to rely on sms update from my brother, bless him.

Advertisement

#102 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,187 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:36

Is there any magic way of rolling back on IOS?

#103 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 441 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:23

Subscription cancelled, I thought I was in the free version, it's awful.

#104 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,204 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:26

This is so horrible.... I will cancel my subscription if they don't change it.

Lets start with the positives:

- Replaying radio messages

The negatives:

- Can't see who is in the pits and on track

- Can only see 4 drivers when looking at sector times and laptimes instead of 12

- Have to skip to another tab to see the tyre compound

- Can't see the current laptime in sector view, only fastest (practise and quali)
- Lap position view is horrible in comparison with the old one

- Have to login numberous times (again) to get access

- Is not stable on 3g or 4g (instead to the old app)

- Can we see yellow flags immediately on all screens? (haven't seen it yet)

- Can't see all tyres used during practise and quali

Biggest thing for me is, that I can only see 4 drivers in sector view. That's horrible.....

In old app under tab commentary you could listen audio also back. I find not having sound if app not on display very enjoying. have it often on during FP's while underway on bike and just listen. But all other things like driver-driver comparison etc. i also miss. 

Could be that all that stuff is coming or already in f1tv subscription. Still have to look more in what they offer their for what price. 

#105 tillster

tillster

• 378 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:30

Sweet baby Jesus, this is the worst update to an app I can remember, and that's before we get to what they've done to the Live Timing 

Either way, I've unsubscribed, and I find it a bit worrying that they think this is what their fans want 

#106 peroa

peroa

• 10,232 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:01

The problem is that this was clearly made by some fancy pancy UX designer from the USofA who hasn't heard of F1 let alone followed a race on his phone while the previous one was made to actually provide some info for your money.

The new app provides as much info as was available on the website before, next to zero.

#107 Ickx

Ickx

• 816 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:14

Hopefully they will revert back to an older style app soon. The reactions on the Google Play store is not any better than it is on this forum. 

for android users : Formula 1® 10.084-arm-G2 for Android 4.0.3+ APK Download

https://apkpure.com/formula-1%C2%AE/com.softpauer.f1timingapp2014.basic/download/257-APK?from=details%2Fversion

Cheers!   :wave: 

This saved my Sunday. Hopefully it will work for some time. Just remember to turn off automatic updates! If the apk don't work, I had to uninstall the app before installing the older.

#108 Signori

Signori

• 465 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:42

Get this feeling that Liberty are hell bent on removing any trace of Bernie or the former owners from F1 and they don't care what it's replaced with,

F1 Logo - changed

F1 Website -redesigned

F1 App - redeveloped to something else

am struggling to see where they made an improvement on any of the 3 above and just seems they only want to get rid of any trace of Bernie

#109 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 17,894 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:47

The new UX isn't even good from a design point of view. The whole thing is a shambles.

#110 Eisthename

Eisthename

• 7 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:52

Really not worth it. 

Few years ago it was actually better. but at least for me it got worst with years. 

My phone (Huawei P9) gets hot as fire using it. Had a bug where i couldn't mute live commentary (only way to not hear it was to press volume down on a phone).

Plus before I deleted it for good it started lagging really bad. Like crashing all the time. 

Now i use this website. Wont share a link because its prob not licensed. it has old school F1 live timing: showing gaps between everyone. sectors time, tires age, etc. Plus it has live map showing where everyone is on track. And it has live chat with people commenting on the race. so on the weekends when nothing happens its really fun to banter in the chat with everyone else.

So considering there is much better free option. I dont really think its worth it. 

#111 d_view7

d_view7

• 1,490 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:24

I couldnt log in until half the race. Ive been buying a yearly subscription for many years now and I usually watch the app with iPad almost as much as I do TV during the race. The old app was really informative and easy to navigate. The new one is a downgrade in every area! I hope they are going to redesign it because small corrections will not help here. 

#112 tillster

tillster

• 378 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:31

Such a truly awful downgrade in every regard, esp. as noted above with the Live Tming 

Id have been horrified had it been a free app, but a paid app?? :confused:

Have written an angry mail and cancelled my monthly subscription (thank God it was only monthly) 

#113 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,796 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:14

I pay for the live timing and will continue to do so. I do not, however, like the new app, it is a completely retrograde step and feels like I am only getting the freebie version and there must be a more detailed version behind some as yet unfound pay wall.

Out of curiosity I had a wee rummage around the internet and found an 'alternative' timing website. I was shocked. For what was an unofficial timing website the layout was better, there was all the detail you want, there were additional lap charts etc. How have we got to the stage where the 'alternative' is actually of significantly higher quality than the real version. Beggars belief!

I was annoyed that F1TV wouldn't be fully coming to the UK, but at least I could watch the old races. With their new app it says I have no account (despite still being able to access it on a browser). The new timing app is a huge step back. I thought Liberty would be improving things but they seem to be making plenty of errors.

What should be easily doable is having the race on a big screen, a working an syncable timing app on your ipad/iphone and a choice of onboards on your laptop. That would be perfection and all the bits are there but they seem to have been messed up. 

#114 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,415 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 13:31

What irks me the most is that over the years the old app had evolved into a pretty good product. And now they just threw it away and introduced this piece of junk. Why? To remove everything related to Bernie? To introduce change for the sake of change? I can't believe that the new app would have been developed by the same people that did the old one. And clearly the new people never even looked at the old one. I can't come up with any other explanation.

#115 Larunss

Larunss

• 144 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 13:37

I`ve been subscribing the F1 App for Live timing purposes for something like 3 years.

But after this last update I am 1 step away from stopping. 

Some 10 years ago it was all totally free, simple, but easily readable and with all the info you could really want at that point.

Then they put it behind a paywall and with seemingly bit less info, but still usable for these last few years.

And now it`s just unreadable.  They really are looking like amateurs...

If it ain`t broken, don`t fix it...

#116 JeePee

JeePee

• 2,432 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 13:52

I remember when Verstappen participated in the Florida Winter Series (2014), that series had better live timing than F1.

#117 tillster

tillster

• 378 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 13:53

They’ve clearly no comprehension of how a half-clued-up fan follows a race

What irks me the most is that over the years the old app had evolved into a pretty good product. And now they just threw it away and introduced this piece of junk. Why? To remove everything related to Bernie? To introduce change for the sake of change? I can't believe that the new app would have been developed by the same people that did the old one. And clearly the new people never even looked at the old one. I can't come up with any other explanation.

Edited by tillster, 17 September 2018 - 13:54.

#118 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 621 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 22:22

Ridiculous 😂

#119 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,295 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:06

I'm guessing the new app is not up to expectations. I remember the good old web site timing.

Advertisement

#120 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,985 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:08

(Posting the right thread this time)

F1 says improving the live timing on its newly-upgraded app is a priority after it received a barrage of complaints during the Singapore GP weekend

https://t.co/4a62SEVmTw

#121 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 9,214 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:28

I'm guessing the new app is not up to expectations. I remember the good old web site timing.

I remember the free app FOM produced a few years ago that worked perfectly. Hard to comprehend how worse it’s got since then.

#122 TheFlyingFinn

TheFlyingFinn

• 163 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:39

Running in Java no less! Was working perfectly.

I managed to not update to latest version, maybe my device is so old it's not even supported, not really sure. For someone like me who watches live timing almost as much as action on track, a working app is a must. Glad to hear they are making changes now though.

Edited by TheFlyingFinn, 18 September 2018 - 12:41.

#123 pdac

pdac

• 7,425 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 13:00

Sensible people who are tasked with updating software look at what it currently provides and then work to improve on that. If they are very sensible, they will conduct some research to find a broad range of users and find out how they use the current version, what they like about it and what they dislike.

Typically, though, designers just look at it for a few minutes and decide how the look can be 'improved' (refreshed/modernised) and pay no attention to its actual content or use (Microsoft are the biggest culprit in this area).

#124 Garndell

Garndell

• 653 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 13:41

I cancelled my sub when they dropped support for my Fire Tablet and the W10 App (my other tab is a W10 tab), with this shenanigans I see no reason to put any money towards F1 any more.  They are short sighted cretins of the worst kind, heads should roll over this fiasco.

#125 swintex

swintex

• 534 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 13:58

I wonder what would have happened if they had offered this "update" to the teams for use on the prat perches.

I doubt the race would have been started.

Richard

#126 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,505 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 14:15

I remember the free app FOM produced a few years ago that worked perfectly. Hard to comprehend how worse it’s got since then.

Man, it was so good.

These people clearly haven't heard of the term "If it isn't broken, don't fix it."

And yet, they STILL can't be bothered to fix the tire information (new or used) piece.

They've literally butchered the app. Absolutely incredible. They have no idea what their customer base wants and went along with the blind arrogant notion of 'change is always good'.

Have unsubscribed, obviously.

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 18 September 2018 - 14:20.

#127 BCM

BCM

• 1,597 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 14:20

I've just cancelled my subscription. Sent their support complaints about the UI and about the inability for them to provide a timely service during race weekends.

I've put up with it dropping live timing during events for years now. I've had enough.

I've actually just cancelled my Foxtel sub as well. I think after close to 40 years of F1 I'm bored of it. I think I'd become habituated to watching the sport even though there's been no real racing for years.

#128 ANF

ANF

• 8,603 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 15:17

Running in Java no less! Was working perfectly.

Yes, it was working perfectly for 10+ years.

757722256_ed79491315_o.jpg

#129 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 621 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 15:45

I've re-installed the older version of the app and turned off auto update.
If I'm eventually forced to using the new version and it isn't up to the standard I'm used to I'll be ending the subscription

#130 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,354 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 16:17

This sounds as a comment on the "new Autosport" web page compared to the Classic.  Long live the Classic!!!

Regards  :clap:

So i am not the only one then!! I usually embrace change and get used to new websites pretty quickly but Classic Autosport will always rule!

And the new app is atrocious!

Shut up you two!!! Don't bloody remind 'em that it still exists, it has been forgotten about thankfully but our days are numbered.

#131 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,204 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 16:45

(Posting the right thread this time)

F1 says improving the live timing on its newly-upgraded app is a priority after it received a barrage of complaints during the Singapore GP weekend

https://t.co/4a62SEVmTw

Well, at least complaining helped and they are listening to it, that's not bad.

I must say the TV graphics etc. did improve (i like the halo form graphic) , i expect they will fix this also.

#132 Francesc

Francesc

• 3,287 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 16:59

Turkey 2006?

#133 TheFlyingFinn

TheFlyingFinn

• 163 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 17:04

Actually, looking at it now, it did miss sector speeds in the same screen as times  :)

Edited by TheFlyingFinn, 18 September 2018 - 17:05.

#134 Stephane

Stephane

• 1,954 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 17:06

You had top 5 speeds in the weather and speeds table

#135 pdac

pdac

• 7,425 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 18:38

Watch out - it says "No reproduction without permission." at the bottom there.

(doh! I just reproduced it myself by quoting you)

#136 grunf77

grunf77

• 232 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 19:24

You're on black list now!

#137 tormave

tormave

• 1,527 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 21:24

I was able to get my money back (pro-rated) from Apple. I complained that the service I subscribed to no longer existed in the new app. Here is their response:

Hi <my name>,

Again, Thank You for your patience in this matter. It was my pleasure assisting you. The issue has been successfully escalated to the necessary department for assessment.

After carefully reviewing your case, we have successfully processed the prorated refund as a one time exception. 

Within ten business days, $14.30 should be posted to the payment method used to make the purchase.
Sincerely,
<Apple support person>

Here's what you need to do:

1. Call Apple support

2. Explain you're no longer getting service you subscribed for (they will tell you they can't refund after 90 days)

3. Ask to speak to manager

4. Explain again (they will tell the same thing about 90 days)

5. Ask for the issue to be escalated to App review team, as the new app version no longer delivers the service as you subscribed it

6. Wait 4 days, get the email like I got

#138 nookie

nookie

• 964 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:06

I remember when Verstappen participated in the Florida Winter Series (2014), that series had better live timing than F1.

galeforce in the 90's was better than this!

#139 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,204 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:40

I was able to get my money back (pro-rated) from Apple. I complained that the service I subscribed to no longer existed in the new app. Here is their response:

Here's what you need to do:

1. Call Apple support

2. Explain you're no longer getting service you subscribed for (they will tell you they can't refund after 90 days)

3. Ask to speak to manager

4. Explain again (they will tell the same thing about 90 days)

5. Ask for the issue to be escalated to App review team, as the new app version no longer delivers the service as you subscribed it

6. Wait 4 days, get the email like I got

Don't have Apple, but that's a nice and good service!!

Advertisement

#140 tormave

tormave

• 1,527 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 14:17

Don't have Apple, but that's a nice and good service!!

Yep, they're usually pretty good about refunds etc. Why I did this wasn't because of the small amount money I'll be getting back. I did it because the only way to make FOM listen to consumers is to vote with our money. Apple is surely going to be contacting them about the refunds they're having to pay - the louder the more they need to do it.

I've paid for the old service ever since it was launched, and before that used the free service on a Linux tablet through an app someone wrote that reverse engineered the messaging protocol of the Java thing they were offering. I don't even remember when they started offering this, but I've loved it from day one. Now it's gone. Based on the first weekend without it and just relying on the TV feed, I definitely feel less interested in watching F1 in general. It was the last reason I subscribe to cable TV.

#141 pdac

pdac

• 7,425 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 14:43

Yep, they're usually pretty good about refunds etc. Why I did this wasn't because of the small amount money I'll be getting back. I did it because the only way to make FOM listen to consumers is to vote with our money. Apple is surely going to be contacting them about the refunds they're having to pay - the louder the more they need to do it.

I've paid for the old service ever since it was launched, and before that used the free service on a Linux tablet through an app someone wrote that reverse engineered the messaging protocol of the Java thing they were offering. I don't even remember when they started offering this, but I've loved it from day one. Now it's gone. Based on the first weekend without it and just relying on the TV feed, I definitely feel less interested in watching F1 in general. It was the last reason I subscribe to cable TV.

I hope you're right, but Apple may just see this as tiny amounts of money and not bother contacting FOM about it at all. Still, it's worth a try, I guess.

#142 tormave

tormave

• 1,527 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 17:20

Just out of curiosity, I used App Annie (free, requires registration) to check the reviews for the latest iOS and Android versions of the app:

iOS (11.0.0) - 1,232 reviews, out which 1,055 are 1 star. Rating 1.3 out of 5

Android (11.0.280) - 964 reviews, out of which 730 are 1 star. Rating 1.5 out of 5.

There's been a massive spike in reviews on both platforms since the new release was crapped out.

#143 pdac

pdac

• 7,425 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 17:40

Just out of curiosity, I used App Annie (free, requires registration) to check the reviews for the latest iOS and Android versions of the app:

iOS (11.0.0) - 1,232 reviews, out which 1,055 are 1 star. Rating 1.3 out of 5

Android (11.0.280) - 964 reviews, out of which 730 are 1 star. Rating 1.5 out of 5.

There's been a massive spike in reviews on both platforms since the new release was crapped out.

Go review it people.

#144 tomjol

tomjol

• 754 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 17:51

I hope you're right, but Apple may just see this as tiny amounts of money and not bother contacting FOM about it at all. Still, it's worth a try, I guess.

I'm not involved in mobile apps but surely the developer (FOM) will receive notifications about refunds, without any action required on Apple's part.

#145 loki

loki

• 5,514 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:19

But it doesn't say who's permission is needed.  I'll grant you that permission...

On another note Missed Apex awarded not only the app but F1TV a Missed Apex award.  I still can't believe how stunningly poorly they've done.

#146 loki

loki

• 5,514 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:29

I'm not involved in mobile apps but surely the developer (FOM) will receive notifications about refunds, without any action required on Apple's part.

As part of the Apple development agreement (which you need to have to sell on the App Store) they'll count the times they've had to intervene particularly on an in app purchase that was changed what they are delivering.  I doubt they'd kick FOM off but they'll let them know they need to provide whatever it is they are selling through the app.  Apple gets a cut of that revenue (from in app subscriptions) as part of being hosted on the App Store.  If you subscribed outside and just use the app to log in to see the content you bought elsewhere Apple won't be involved in that transaction.  I bailed on F1TV and timing after the first race it was so bad.  

#147 Pistol_Peto

Pistol_Peto

• 133 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 14:57

I cancelled my subscription. They emailed me a form response asking if my cc expired. I replied the changes they made to their app were horrible and as a result I’m out. This is their reply;

‘Hi there, Peter!

Thanks for contacting F1! The reason it was changed was that a lot of feedback from our fans said it was too hard to read. Now, I'd like to thank you for your opinion, which is really valuable to us. I'd like to let you know that things are going to change in the near future, as we appreciate all the feedback for our fans, and we're doing everything we can to improve our service and the experience we offer. The app will undergo some changes in the next release, and we'd love to see you back on track then.

This being said, please feel free to express your opinion in the future as well. Have a great day and keep your passion fueled.

From the pit,
Eduard.’

#148 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,204 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 17:02

I cancelled my subscription. They emailed me a form response asking if my cc expired. I replied the changes they made to their app were horrible and as a result I’m out. This is their reply;

‘Hi there, Peter!

Thanks for contacting F1! The reason it was changed was that a lot of feedback from our fans said it was too hard to read. Now, I'd like to thank you for your opinion, which is really valuable to us. I'd like to let you know that things are going to change in the near future, as we appreciate all the feedback for our fans, and we're doing everything we can to improve our service and the experience we offer. The app will undergo some changes in the next release, and we'd love to see you back on track then.

This being said, please feel free to express your opinion in the future as well. Have a great day and keep your passion fueled.

From the pit,
Eduard.’

Their willingness to do the good thing, like responding to your email, seems to be great imo.

I have faith all will come alright.

#149 Pistol_Peto

Pistol_Peto

• 133 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 17:05

Their willingness to do the good thing, like responding to your email, seems to be great imo.

I have faith all will come alright.

I hope you’re right!

#150 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 17,894 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:01

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old app. It was not 'hard to read' :lol: