Photo

The Willment Ford Galaxie 1963-64

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 20:51

I know next to nothing about racing saloon cars.

Can anyone confirm for me whether or not the 1963 Willment Ford Galaxie as driven by Jack Sears to win the British Saloon Car Championship was the same Willment Ford Galaxie campaigned by the team in the 1964 Championship?

The first car went out to South Africa at the end of '63 where it was driven by Jack, Paul Hawkins and Bobby Olthoff - most admirably, perhaps, running third in the Kyalami 9-Hour race - but did it then come back to the UK for the '64 BSCC season - or stay in ZA where Olthoff certainly owned and raced it from at least '66 forward?  Willment won races with a Galaxie in '64, but was it the '63 car returned (temporarily) from ZA?

DCN

Advertisement

#2 Kenzclass

Kenzclass

• 169 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:14

Doug,
The 1966 article from the link, talking about the 1964 racing year, states that: "the Galaxie was making frequent appearances in Sears' hands, although it was to leave early in 1965 for South Africa where it is still making regular appearances", suggesting there was only the one Willment car.

http://www.motorspor...ast-and-present

#3 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:31

I always assumed the '64 car was the same as the '63 car and that Willment had only the one Galaxie at the time - they did run a Galaxie for Brian Muir in 1966 but I believe that was a different car altogether.

Photographs taken from both the 1963 and 1964 season show the car with the same registration number - BML 9A.

An article in the 27 Dec 1963 edition of Autosport refers to John Whitmore driving "the" Willment Galaxie in Rhodesia. I assume the use of "the" rather than "a" suggests that there was just the one car. However, later in the article Willment's plans for 1964 are discussed and it mentions the intention to run two large American Fords. That certainly never happened as it was just the single Galaxie that ran in the BTCC in 1964.

So, Doug, I think it is very likely that it was the same car.

#4 Kenzclass

Kenzclass

• 169 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:05

I see that BML9A (Chassis no. 3N66R143030) is to be auctioned 9/9 by Bonhams Revival Sale.
Est. £180 - 220k.

#5 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:36

I see that BML9A (Chassis no. 3N66R143030) is to be auctioned 9/9 by Bonhams Revival Sale.
Est. £180 - 220k.

Jack Sears actually bought this Galaxie and I believe it was still in his ownership when he passed away last year.

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:38

https://www.hemmings...-of-jack-sears/

#7 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 13:14

I just hope that whoever buys it does not opt to have it "restored" into some form of caricature just to win races, as we have seen elsewhere, without mentioning the Poore Alfa or a well known car originating from Brown's Lane.
If ever a car embodied being a game changer in our sport, and especially in its own niche genre, this car is it.
But the buyer has the "right" to do with it as they see fit, good taste, historic awareness or ethics/ethos notwithstanding.
Roger Lund

Edit, OT a bit, a comprehensive coverage of the protests raised against the Galaxies, per se, and the hostilities on and from both sides, is to be found in the Autosport race report for the 1963 6 hr saloon car race at Brands, and in the correspondence columns for a couple of weeks thereafter, incl a full rebuttal by Jeff Uren, ISTR.
Sadly the great and gracious Dan Gurney was a victim in this brouhaha via his car being seen as a sinner, just as two years previously he had been because of the deemed threat from his Chev Impala at Silverstone, which he had bought and shipped over at his own cost. It left a bad taste, and not only for DSG I suspect. I do not recall any grief being given to Peter Sachs and Chuck Kelsey with their Chevy 11 before that.

Edited by bradbury west, 26 July 2017 - 13:25.

#8 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 13:31

It would be useful if anyone could lay hands on a copy of Tony Dron's article on BML and its history. Mine is filed in the loft and at present I am unable to get up there.
Roger Lund

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,248 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 13:43

Originally posted by bradbury west
.....Sadly the great and gracious Dan Gurney was a victim in this brouhaha via his car being seen as a sinner, just as two years previously he had been because of the deemed threat from his Chev Impala at Silverstone, which he had bought and shipped over at his own cost. It left a bad taste, and not only for DSG I suspect. I do not recall any grief being given to Peter Sachs and Chuck Kelsey with their Chevy 11 before that.

Chevy IIs didn't come out until 1962, Roger. Certainly Gurney's 1961 effort was well and truly over before any of them were to be seen.

And unless something's changed without my knowledge, the Gurney Chevrolet still lives in Australia.

#10 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 15:10

Thanks Ray.
RL

#11 RonPohl

RonPohl

• 193 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 18:15

This month's  Vintage RACECAR (August 2017)  happens to have a feature article on this very subject.

#12 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:43

I do seem to remember a thread on here about British Touring cars of that period with quite a few pics.

Though they have probably disapeared now.

#13 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:26

I remember talking to Jack Sears at the 2003 FOS.  Very gracious man.  I believe he was getting his brief case out of the Galaxie's (very large) trunk (boot).

Vince H.

PS - I wondered about the spelling...Galaxie--French for Galaxy.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 27 July 2017 - 05:29.

#14 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:06

I do seem to remember a thread on here about British Touring cars of that period with quite a few pics.

This one, I think:

Ford Galaxie & Falcon touring cars

The Willment Galaxie is discussed on the first page, but it doesn't provide a definitive answer to Doug's question.

#15 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:06

No idea of the source of their research, but this Australian site has a single list of events simply headed "Willment Galaxie"
http://www.galaxie.c...g/willment.html

#16 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,058 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:22

This set of pictures may help:  

https://revslib.stanford.edu/?q=BML+9A

The picture simply titled "Ford" is likely at the 28 March 1965 Course de côte, Kautenbach, Luxembourg. This would put a Willment-liveried Galaxie in Europe at this time?

RGDS RLT

#17 GTMRacer

GTMRacer

• 117 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:44

Doug

I used to build models of NASCAR cars from the 60's and seventies and used a very good forum on the subject, I asked a similar question to you and the consensus was that Holman Moody and Ford would never have sold a new car for 64 that wasn't a 64 shape, the Willment car in 64 is still a 63 model.

Hope that helps

#18 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:58

RLT, thanks for that link to the Galaxie at the hill climb. what a wonderfully evocative photo of a different era.    :up:

Michael, in Canada

#19 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:32

No idea of the source of their research, but this Australian site has a single list of events simply headed "Willment Galaxie"
http://www.galaxie.c...g/willment.html

Whilst I think the content of that list is accurate it is missing some appearances of the Willment Galaxie. Whilst the car was predominantly seen in events of International status, there were occasions when it turned up at smaller National events, for example, the Jaguar Drivers Club meet at the Palace in 1964, and at the Silverstone Maidstone & District CC meeting in the same year.

Advertisement

#20 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 19:58

This set of pictures may help:

https://revslib.stanford.edu/?q=BML+9A

The picture simply titled "Ford" is likely at the 28 March 1965 Course de côte, Kautenbach, Luxembourg. This would put a Willment-liveried Galaxie in Europe at this time?

RGDS RLT

What on earth was the 'Small Car Trophy' at the Palace and why was a Galaxie in it?  :eek:

#21 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 20:10

Thank you to everyone who has contributed here - very much appreciated.

DCN

#22 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,872 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 20:40

What on earth was the 'Small Car Trophy' at the Palace and why was a Galaxie in it?  :eek:

More than likely a saloon car race sponsored by 'Small Car' magazine. Around 1965 they dropped 'Small' and it has been 'Car' magazine since.

There's a bit on the Galaxies racing (and others) in the Motor Racing Year 1963-4 book. Quite possible that 'Motor Racing' magazine where a young DCN tinkered away at has relevant commentary through their 1963 and 1964 issues.

Stephen

#23 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 20:59

More than likely a saloon car race sponsored by 'Small Car' magazine. Around 1965 they dropped 'Small' and it has been 'Car' magazine since.

There's a bit on the Galaxies racing (and others) in the Motor Racing Year 1963-4 book. Quite possible that 'Motor Racing' magazine where a young DCN tinkered away at has relevant commentary through their 1963 and 1964 issues.

Stephen

The 1963 Palace Whit-Monday meeting was the was the very first race meeting I ever went to. I think they have got the captions wrong with regard to the Galaxie being in the Small Car Trophy race. If my memory serves me correctly the Small Car Trophy race was, appropriately. for the up to 1300cc Saloons, who had a separate race from the bigger cars. The Galaxie ran in the over 1300cc event (not surprisingly!). And yes the "Small Car" magazine were sponsoring the race - or putting up the trophy.

#24 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,872 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 23:06

I knew Doug was up to something when he started asking about saloon cars...
https://www.goodwood...-sears-galaxie/

This could lead to a book on the history of saloon car racing by the new convert ( he writes tongue in cheek).

Stephen

#25 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 00:05

Going back to Rupert's post 16 which had me puzzled so I. He led further on the glorious Revs site et al.
The Zolder 1964 shots are simply part of the Euro saloon championship, with Mr Sears there to steal points in the large class to favour the Lotus cortina.
The Ford captioned shot is, I suspect/believe taken at St Ursanne/Les Rangers hillclimb late in August 65, the meeting at which Ford turned of the Indy winning 38 with Jim Clark, for a demo/promo as part of their performance campaign. Local team Filipinetti were out with their Cobra.
Jack Sears was probably there on no more than a flag waving, or hand waving,- see the photo- jolly to promote Ford and the Galaxies' successes . By late summer 1965 the Ford France version had gone back to the US in all probability, as in the previous year'sTdF it ran with a temporary French reg plate, FR something, as did Gawaine Baillie's car, presumably as they had to run on public roads in the TdF
I have not seen a shot of the Bo Ljungfelt car so do not know the reg,as I think it was a dns.
I always believed these Galaxies were temporary imports, like the DPK Mustangs in 64.
When I get a mo, I will try to find out something more from the daughter and son of the then owner of the Alan Brown car.
TNF is wonderful for setting up queries like this
Roger Lund

Edit spl.

Edited by bradbury west, 28 July 2017 - 00:07.

#26 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 00:14

I remember talking to Jack Sears at the 2003 FOS.  Very gracious man.  I believe he was getting his brief case out of the Galaxie's (very large) trunk (boot).

Vince H.

PS - I wondered about the spelling...Galaxie--French for Galaxy.

Ford Galaxie was a full size US family car in the 60s and 70s. The 'medium' size car in the range. Under 2 tonne. Then you had the big cars, Lincolns.

A Ford Galaxy is a modernish Euro 'people mover' that weighs about the same as the Galaxie.

These 62 Galaxies as being discussed were ofcourse large cars in the UK but really were not that big at about 1 3/4 tonne with  [for the road] adequate braking. [12" drums] and in big block form large power, and actually as good a power to weight ratio of the Mustang 289 which came a couple of years later.

As an aside, the Galaxies came in both 6 cylinder form with 3 on the tree up too the 427 Nascar homolgated engine. By 64, the last of that shape they came in 240 L6, 289 V8 and 390 2 &4bbl form along with the 427 which is an enlarged 390.  And were made in 4 door and 2 door variants. And ofcourse the full range of extras such as power steering, aircond, auto trans luxury trim options and the like near doubled the price of the base car. I feel [could be wrong] that the 64 also came with optional disc brakes. The next shape defenitly did with 12" rotors and 4 spot callipers.

I own a 71 Galaxie LTD pillared hardtop, the rarest body style in the US. And the only style offered in Australia. They came 4 door post, pillared hardtop, 2 door sedan, plus ofcourse wagon. Which in the US had the largest range of engines probably Ford ever offered. [As did quite a few cars in that year] 240L6 302 & 351 W with the 351 coming in 2 & 4bbl form 352 FE bigblock, 390 FE 2 & 4bbl . 400M new to Ford in 71 then 429 base engine and 429 high performance. Along with autos available on all, though that was 3 different transmissions, 6 & base V8s came with 3 on the tree plus a very few came with 4 speed which I feel was the Toploader right through. Base cars wre non assisted drums, upmarket assisted drums and option was discs on the front, 12" rotors with very large single piston calliper.

And ofcourse a range of interior colors, trim levels and a large range of color choice, with or without 2 tone or vinyl top.

These days you get about 2 interior colors and materials and maybe 4 exterior colors!

#27 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 00:27

Going back to Rupert's post 16 which had me puzzled so I. He led further on the glorious Revs site et al.
The Zolder 1964 shots are simply part of the Euro saloon championship, with Mr Sears there to steal points in the large class to favour the Lotus cortina.
The Ford captioned shot is, I suspect/believe taken at St Ursanne/Les Rangers hillclimb late in August 65, the meeting at which Ford turned of the Indy winning 38 with Jim Clark, for a demo/promo as part of their performance campaign. Local team Filipinetti were out with their Cobra.
Jack Sears was probably there on no more than a flag waving, or hand waving,- see the photo- jolly to promote Ford and the Galaxies' successes . By late summer 1965 the Ford France version had gone back to the US in all probability, as in the previous year'sTdF it ran with a temporary French reg plate, FR something, as did Gawaine Baillie's car, presumably as they had to run on public roads in the TdF
I have not seen a shot of the Bo Ljungfelt car so do not know the reg,as I think it was a dns.
I always believed these Galaxies were temporary imports, like the DPK Mustangs in 64.
When I get a mo, I will try to find out something more from the daughter and son of the then owner of the Alan Brown car.
Roger Lund

Edit spl.

The Gawaine Bailey car is the one that Lex Davidson put in the dam at Sandown Victoria. The car survived and Davidson was quoted that car tried to kill him!

In more modern times Denis Obrien from Wagga built one for historic GpN which was VERY quick in a straight line and ok on corners. There still is 1 or 2 racing here in Oz, the best known one is entered by Galactic Motorsport!

#28 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,058 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:01

Roger Lund

Edit spl.

Ref Kautenbach 28 March 1965 see slideshow:

The Galaxie appears at 53 secs - registration OK 4296, possibly OR 4296.

RGDS RLT

P.S. There were two Ford Galaxies entered at Crystal Palace, Whit Monday 3 June 1963:

#51 John Willment Automobiles Ltd., (driver: J. Sears), Ford Galaxie, White/Red

#52 Sir Gawaine Baillie, Ford Galaxie, White

Edited by Rupertlt1, 28 July 2017 - 01:20.

#29 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,872 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:06

Roger Lund
Edit spl.

Roger, if you type Galaxie into Revs site you'll get about 11 pages of photos, some relate to a horrid people mover, but there are some 1963 TdF Galaxie photos.

The photo that accompanies the piece by John Aley in Motor Racing Year 1963-4 shows Sir Gawaine Baillie car with 'GB 448' rego plate.

That car of course, raced in Australia in late 1964. Battered and bruised after Lex Davison found the anchors had cried enough!

Stephen

#30 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:53

Not an answer for Doug but look at sometime TNFer Bill McGuires  'Macs Motor City Garage' site for a film clip of  1966 road race Nascar won by a certain Dan Guerney in a 66 Galaxie. And half the field seemed to be Galaxies

#31 Kenzclass

Kenzclass

• 169 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:44

Thanks for posting that, Lee.
I rember seeing that as a full race-length film in period, and it comes to mind occasionally.
Seemed to be a bit of mainstream interest in NASCAR racing worldwide, back then, as I also recall a drama "Red Line 7000" being a feature in cinemas.
Anyone else remember that one?

#32 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,248 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:50

Originally posted by cooper997
.....That car of course, raced in Australia in late 1964. Battered and bruised after Lex Davison found the anchors had cried enough!

Stephen, that Galaxie was raced here in '65 as well, running at Warwick Farm, Sandown and Longford in the supports for the International races.

I'm not at home so I can't check, but I think it might also have been at Sandown's April meeting. I do know it passed me on Tannery Straight between practice sessions.

#33 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:11

Yes, very much of its period and genre.

Rupert, I concede that you have the venue right. As JC Martha had them on the archive with hillclimb shots and the road looked the same I assumed, never assume..... , that it was St Ursanne. There is another shot of a single seater from half back round the corner, looking like the final brow for Rest and be Thankful of fond memory, so I put 2 and 2 together to make 7.
However, that car is not reg as BML9A in the film,so unless the number shown in the film is some sort of trade plate I do not know what the car can be, as I understood the car still carried BML in ZA.

Stephen I did not say Gawaine Baillie did not carry GB448 on his Galaxie. Afaik he used it on all his cars, poss back to his Corvette? in 1958 or 9. What I said was that the car cited as his in the 63 TdF shots, no 90, had what I believe to be temporary French plates, FR2275.

An interesting point has arisen in my mind in all this, after so many years. We know where BML was from late 65. GB448 went to rest in Oz. Afaik the Brown entered car went to Bobby Buchanan- Michaelson for Hutchesen, 2 blow ups in the first 3 entries, and then with a DNA with Jackie Bond Smith, then with Hutchesen at the ends of the season.
The query I have is what Galaxie was it which Brian Muir drove for Willment under the new Gp 5 regs in 1966? An article in MS on Willment suggests the engine was dynoed at about 520bhp. Presumably it was a new car not a warm over of the Brown entered car
Roger Lund

#34 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:39

When I was undertaking research for my Brian Muir feature article in Australian Muscle Car magazine last year I had access to the Muir family scrapbooks - there were four of them! From what I read at the time I am pretty certain that the Sir Gawaine Bailloe Galaxie that Lex Davison crashed at Sandown returned to the UK and was the same Galaxie that Willment entrusted to Brian "Yogi" Muir for the 1966 season, but painted red.

Yogi demolished the Galaxie at Oulton Park whilst leading Jimmy Clark's Lotus Cortina. He ran out of brakes. There are plenty of photos of the crashed Galaxie on the net and I've seen colour photos of the bent Galaxie on the trailer. I don't know what became of it, I'm not sure it was repairable.

#35 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 13:21

Many thanks
RL

#36 Kenzclass

Kenzclass

• 169 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 13:22

The following link confirms Paul's post above about the origins of the Willment Group 5 Galaxie:
http://www.motorspor...ast-and-present

#37 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 525 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 14:24

Ford Galaxie was a full size US family car in the 60s and 70s. The 'medium' size car in the range. Under 2 tonne. Then you had the big cars, Lincolns.

A Ford Galaxy is a modernish Euro 'people mover' that weighs about the same as the Galaxie.

These 62 Galaxies as being discussed were ofcourse large cars in the UK but really were not that big at about 1 3/4 tonne with  [for the road] adequate braking. [12" drums] and in big block form large power, and actually as good a power to weight ratio of the Mustang 289 which came a couple of years later.

As an aside, the Galaxies came in both 6 cylinder form with 3 on the tree up too the 427 Nascar homolgated engine. By 64, the last of that shape they came in 240 L6, 289 V8 and 390 2 &4bbl form along with the 427 which is an enlarged 390.  And were made in 4 door and 2 door variants. And ofcourse the full range of extras such as power steering, aircond, auto trans luxury trim options and the like near doubled the price of the base car. I feel [could be wrong] that the 64 also came with optional disc brakes. The next shape defenitly did with 12" rotors and 4 spot callipers.

I own a 71 Galaxie LTD pillared hardtop, the rarest body style in the US. And the only style offered in Australia. They came 4 door post, pillared hardtop, 2 door sedan, plus ofcourse wagon. Which in the US had the largest range of engines probably Ford ever offered. [As did quite a few cars in that year] 240L6 302 & 351 W with the 351 coming in 2 & 4bbl form 352 FE bigblock, 390 FE 2 & 4bbl . 400M new to Ford in 71 then 429 base engine and 429 high performance. Along with autos available on all, though that was 3 different transmissions, 6 & base V8s came with 3 on the tree plus a very few came with 4 speed which I feel was the Toploader right through. Base cars wre non assisted drums, upmarket assisted drums and option was discs on the front, 12" rotors with very large single piston calliper.

And ofcourse a range of interior colors, trim levels and a large range of color choice, with or without 2 tone or vinyl top.

These days you get about 2 interior colors and materials and maybe 4 exterior colors!

Minor correction, Lee.  The Lincoln was a separate luxury line.  Within the context of just plain Fords, the Galaxie was the biggest car.  The Fairlane was the intermediate, and the Falcon was the compact.  Those terms being all relative, of course.

#38 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 15:22

I also recall a drama "Red Line 7000" being a feature in cinemas.
Anyone else remember that one?

Unfortunately,yes. Even worse than "Fireball 500", which also made it to mainstream UK cinemas.

#39 Jagjon

Jagjon

• 147 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 18:40

Yes, very much of its period and genre.

Rupert, I concede that you have the venue right. As JC Martha had them on the archive with hillclimb shots and the road looked the same I assumed, never assume..... , that it was St Ursanne. There is another shot of a single seater from half back round the corner, looking like the final brow for Rest and be Thankful of fond memory, so I put 2 and 2 together to make 7.
However, that car is not reg as BML9A in the film,so unless the number shown in the film is some sort of trade plate I do not know what the car can be, as I understood the car still carried BML in ZA.

Stephen I did not say Gawaine Baillie did not carry GB448 on his Galaxie. Afaik he used it on all his cars, poss back to his Corvette? in 1958 or 9. What I said was that the car cited as his in the 63 TdF shots, no 90, had what I believe to be temporary French plates, FR2275.

An interesting point has arisen in my mind in all this, after so many years. We know where BML was from late 65. GB448 went to rest in Oz. Afaik the Brown entered car went to Bobby Buchanan- Michaelson for Hutchesen, 2 blow ups in the first 3 entries, and then with a DNA with Jackie Bond Smith, then with Hutchesen at the ends of the season.
The query I have is what Galaxie was it which Brian Muir drove for Willment under the new Gp 5 regs in 1966? An article in MS on Willment suggests the engine was dynoed at about 520bhp. Presumably it was a new car not a warm over of the Brown entered car
Roger Lund

Sir Gawaine Bailey   58 red  Corvette was registered WUC 7.  

Edited by Jagjon, 29 July 2017 - 20:00.

Advertisement

#40 Jagjon

Jagjon

• 147 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 18:55

When I was undertaking research for my Brian Muir feature article in Australian Muscle Car magazine last year I had access to the Muir family scrapbooks - there were four of them! From what I read at the time I am pretty certain that the Sir Gawaine Bailloe Galaxie that Lex Davison crashed at Sandown returned to the UK and was the same Galaxie that Willment entrusted to Brian "Yogi" Muir for the 1966 season, but painted red.

Yogi demolished the Galaxie at Oulton Park whilst leading Jimmy Clark's Lotus Cortina. He ran out of brakes. There are plenty of photos of the crashed Galaxie on the net and I've seen colour photos of the bent Galaxie on the trailer. I don't know what became of it, I'm not sure it was repairable.

Soon after  JC drove into the pits  I walked over to  Old Hall corner  see what happened to  the Galaxie and there was  a very angry looking man observing the badly damaged front end.

It seemed a good idea not to comment or ask questions!!!

#41 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 22:45

Minor correction, Lee.  The Lincoln was a separate luxury line.  Within the context of just plain Fords, the Galaxie was the biggest car.  The Fairlane was the intermediate, and the Falcon was the compact.  Those terms being all relative, of course.

As far as I am concerned a Lincoln is a Ford, much of the running gear is pure Ford Galaxie. 

Ditto with Caddy V Chevrolet and Chrysler re Dodge. Actually those last two in those days did use semi exclusive engines.

#42 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 525 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:18

As far as I am concerned a Lincoln is a Ford, much of the running gear is pure Ford Galaxie. 

Ditto with Caddy V Chevrolet and Chrysler re Dodge. Actually those last two in those days did use semi exclusive engines.

My father used to describe the Mercury as "a Ford with lock washers", but Lincoln and Mercury were a separate, up scale division and product line, with a separate dealership network.

#43 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:47

Looking to remind myself of the name of Gawaine Baillie's specialist engineering co, - I knew about his £15 million stamp collection-, as I wondered who prepared all his racing cars over the years, I checked his Obits and the wiki entries. Very interesting family history reading emerges, as it transpires his mother's sister, i.e. GB's aunt, was Dorothy Paget of Blower Bentley fame. Well worth reading it up.
I followed racing as a youth and was always impressed. Accepting that he had the wherewithal to do it properly, his race performances seldom disappointed. As with many men in his his position, he seems to have ceased racing when he married, which was interesting as I think he was the only male child of his parents, sole heir to the estate and fortune etc. Check his mother's obit and wiki entry too.
Roger Lund

#44 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 13:03

Gawaine's mother Olive and her sister Dorothy also had Whitney Straight as a first cousin.

#45 TerryS

TerryS

• 969 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:44

For interest refer to the third car on the attached, the Jack Sears / Willment Galaxie

http://www.galaxie.com.au/racing.html

#46 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:41

My understanding is that Gawaine Baillie retired from racing for "insurance reasons" - he was worth too much money! In 1967 he entered a supercharged Ford Falcon Sprint for Brian Muir to race in the BSCC. In 1968 Brian raced this same Falcon Sprint without the supercharger for Bill Shaw, with preparation being handled by Mathwall Engineering.

As an aside Brian's widow Jan told me that Gawaine Baillie's rural estate had a castle-like structure with a moat surrounding it!

#47 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:42

The castle is Leeds Castle in Kent, which Gawaine's mother Olive acquired in a very dilapidated state in the 1920s and spent a fortune restoring. When she died in 1974 the castle itself was bequeathed to a charitable trust, but Gawaine retained the rest of the estate.

https://en.m.wikiped...e,_Lady_Baillie

#48 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:43

It is also worth noting that he married in 1966, and it was commonplace for men to cease racing upon marriage and starting a family. He was also the only son and heir to the estate, so would need issue for continuity. He just struck me as a good bloke who tried to do the right things the right way. Having the wherewithal helped, of course.
Roger Lund

#49 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:39

Don't know if this is relevant to the thread , but there are some images from '63 of Peter Jopp, Jack Sears (with a puncture) & Henri Greder driving Galaxies on E-Bay at the moment, soon to expire (2 hours) at what looks an English circuit.

If you click on the image of Greder and scroll down, you can see the others.

http://www.ebay.ca/i...PcAAOSww5hZG6X7

I have grabbed them for my own files.

Michael

Edited by group7, 28 August 2017 - 12:48.

#50 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 14:49

Thanks, Michael, talk about the vendor and coals to Newcastle. We have covered those here already. I believe they originate in the wonderful Revs archive. Sears with a puncture at Crystal Palace, from memory. BML in colour at a Belgian track, and the Jopp, Greder ones at the 1963 TdFrance, going by the race nos, and memory.
Roger Lund