Photo

The limitation on news stories

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Planetdune

Planetdune

• 785 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 18:53

Can we please get rid of this? I am fully okay with the separation of premium articles and regular free news stories. But the limit on the amount you can read is nothing but annoying. There are multiple ways around it to either fool the system or use another device so I think it does more harm than good. Let the premium content speak for itself, no need for trying to limit what has been free for many, many, many years.

Advertisement

#2 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,947 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 20:50

Can we please get rid of this? I am fully okay with the separation of premium articles and regular free news stories. But the limit on the amount you can read is nothing but annoying. There are multiple ways around it to either fool the system or use another device so I think it does more harm than good. Let the premium content speak for itself, no need for trying to limit what has been free for many, many, many years.

Or just read the same story on motorsport.com, which is what I do. Frequently, Autosport and Motorsport will post the same story, identical word-for-word, only seconds apart. So it does seem odd that on one site you have limited amount of views, and the other you don't.

Please don't take this as a hint to introduce the same system on motorsport.com now I've said that! :lol:

#3 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 950 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:44

It is a pointless exercise going to motorsport.com for news, and then autosport.com for the forums.

I could understand when Autosport's content was exclusive, but when it's mirrored on motorsport.com then it seems unnecessary.

#4 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:25

Yeah it is bizarre. I barely click on Autosport links now (as I tend to go to Newsnow first) as I know I'll have some limit, and thus Motorsport is easier. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, so at the end of the day it just hurts ad revenue. 

Then even if I do hit the limit, I can just switch to my phone/tablet/work laptop - so indeed, just pointless. 

Edited by Kristian, 04 September 2017 - 10:25.

#5 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,535 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 14:37

Yeah it is bizarre. I barely click on Autosport links now (as I tend to go to Newsnow first) as I know I'll have some limit, and thus Motorsport is easier. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, so at the end of the day it just hurts ad revenue. 

Then even if I do hit the limit, I can just switch to my phone/tablet/work laptop - so indeed, just pointless. 

​ ​I find this post comical, time to bitch on this forum while promoting Newsnow.  :lol: 

#6 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:41

​ ​I find this post comical, time to bitch on this forum while promoting Newsnow.  :lol:

I don't understand what's wrong with stating my browsing habits to support my context?  :confused:

a) I wasn't 'bitching' , I was actually giving reasons why I agree with the first poster

b) And if I didn't mention Newsnow then my point would seem a bit weird given I mention clicking links before I even get onto the sites. I don't work for Newsnow... 

#7 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,599 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:25

Eurosport also has the autosport.com articles. I think the limit is a good way to scare visitors away.

Not to mention all the outbrain (or similar) clickbait crap posted on many respectable sites these days. Haven't seen those on Autosport yet, but Motorsport.com does have them.

#8 blkirk

blkirk

• 319 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 20:15

As annoying (and fruitless) as the limit is, it's now gotten even worse.  I can load three articles in succession and get different results for each.  The first will well me I've exceeded my 15 for month and I need to sign in to get 10 more.  The second will tell me that I've exceeded my 3 for the month and I need to sign up for a Plus account to read more.  The third will load just fine and tell me I've used 5 of my 15 for the month.  All three articles have headlines in  "free" orange, not "premium" blue.  If it weren't for the forums, I'd have been gone long ago.  Where's Bira when we need her?

Edited by blkirk, 14 March 2019 - 20:16.

#9 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,856 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 20:44

For anyone who is annoyed by paywalls and has some patience, please watch the documentary Page One: Inside the New York Times.  This explains perfectly and in detail how the emergence of free news on the internet (which almost everyone seems to see as a divine right) almost meant the end of independent journalism. Why? Because all those fancy new internet-entrepeneurs (ha!) did very little more than just ripping off news-organisations like professional newspapers in the US. They copied the newsstories - either by hand or automated by algorhytms and yo presto: you have a fully automated newssite.

It is very simple: if an professional organisation like Autosport (or The New York Times, or De Volkskrant or The Washington Post) does not find a way to make sure that the stories they write are mostly read ON THEIR PLATFORM they are doomed. Which means: either a total paywall or a restriction on free stories and then: pay per click or take a subscription. The readers reading for free are not the biggest problem, other 'newsorganisations' getting free content for their sites are the problem.

That you can read the stories on Motorsport for free, is neither here or there. Apparently the cooperation between Autosport and Motorsport secures a certain kind of revenue which at the moment is satisfactory for Autosport. Be thankful for that, I'd say. 

Edited by Nemo1965, 15 March 2019 - 12:20.

#10 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,391 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:45

Well said. :up:

#11 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,856 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:22

Well said. :up:

In the aforementioned movie Page One there is a fantastic scene in which a reporter of The New York-times talks to a friend who is frothing at the mouth: how dare the NY Times startin asking money for articles! It is remarkable how an, apparently educated person, just can't see that is friend also has to earn money for his work.

#12 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,958 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 13:23

Do note that there are at least one other website (Other than Motorsport) that runs Autosport articles for free - at times I've even found plus/premium articles there. I will not say what site, nor how to read those free articles. However - if Autosport themselves are not aware of it, PM me, and I'll tell it in private. It is absolutely not a shady "pirate" website. It is a big company.
If they are aware of it, and it is meant to be like that, I'll expect silence :)

Edited by Myrvold, 15 March 2019 - 13:23.

#13 blkirk

blkirk

• 319 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 21:46

For the record, I have no problem with the Autosport freemium paywall system.  I get why they have to do it.  I used to be a subscriber back in the Atlas F1 days.  When Autosport took over, I thought the quality I was getting for my money dropped, so I let my subscription lapse.  

Having now also seen the thread about cookie problems, I'd bet that my problem is related.  If the agreement is that I get 25 free article per month, then I expect 25 articles.  When the first article I visit says I've exceed my 3 free views for the month, but the very next article I click on says I've used 10/15 free views for the month, then something is wrong.  I can easily see that being caused by a problem with cookies, so I'll start following that thread and see if my problem goes away when that one is also fixed.