Photo

Cigarette sponsorship decals

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 13:32

Today I received a 1/43 Spark Model of Emerson Fittipaldi's McLaren M23.    I am pleased to find that Spark have included a small sheet of Marlboro decals.  Well done Spark.

Does anyone know where I can obtain similar decals for the rest of the cigarette sponsored cars in my collection.

Incidentally, I now have only one model to go to completing my collection of World Champions, both Drivers' and Manufacturers, The 1983 Ferrari 126 C2B or C3, which is on order awaiting the manufacturer producing it.  Now it's a case of replacing some of the poorer models.

Advertisement

#2 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 455 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 13:59

Grand Prix Models may be able to assist ? They will come on big sheets though I suspect !

#3 swintex

swintex

• 542 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 19:03

You could have look here

#4 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:36

When Minichamps anounced the Follmer Porsche 917/10 in 1/18th scale I send them an e-mail asking if the model comes with or without the L&M decals.

Their response was without decals so I went looking and found this australian guy that makes complete decal sheets for all kind of cars in all kind of scales.

http://members.optus...place/home.html

I ordered a decal sheet and was really suprised when the model finally came out...with the L&M decals on it.

If somebody needs that said decal sheet, give me a shout. It's good for both versions. Follmer and Donohue.

#5 JonL

JonL

• 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:25

I got the Spark John Watson McLaren MP4/1C, recently, and, it had no decals provided! 

Apparently, Spark are not going to provide the Marlboro decals any more.....! :down:

#6 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 13:09

I got the Spark John Watson McLaren MP4/1C, recently, and, it had no decals provided! 

Apparently, Spark are not going to provide the Marlboro decals any more.....! :down:

Spark demonstrating how little they care about their customers.  When I had cause to complain recently, they were downright rude.   :mad:  :down:

#7 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 17:56

It's enough to make you take up smoking.

I don't understand though - why on earth would they choose to produce those models if they aren't prepared to provide the decals to make them look even remotely accurate? How can they expect any customers to be satisfied?

#8 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 15:13

I have the Lola T220 & 260 and Porsche 917/10 (Siffert) Can-Am cars from Spark. They had no L&M/Marlboro decals on the model but had a little decal sheet taped to the bottom of the base.

I also have some of the Shadow DN8 & 9s from Spark and strangely they had the Tabatip and Villiger decals allready on the model.

I don't know the international situation but in Germany there is no 'tobacco sponsorship' allowed on toys.

Collector's models are a different story and so are appearently also cigarillos.

#9 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 20:52

I have the Lola T220 & 260 and Porsche 917/10 (Siffert) Can-Am cars from Spark. They had no L&M/Marlboro decals on the model but had a little decal sheet taped to the bottom of the base.

I also have some of the Shadow DN8 & 9s from Spark and strangely they had the Tabatip and Villiger decals allready on the model.

I don't know the international situation but in Germany there is no 'tobacco sponsorship' allowed on toys.

Collector's models are a different story and so are appearently also cigarillos.

The rules appear to vary with the country.  And the interpretation of "toy" and "collector's model" also varies.  Some model makers play safe and just don't produce cigarette decals.

#10 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:04

I've probably said this before but back in the day when I was selling model cars, it was legal to sell "models" with cigarette advertising on; "toys" were perhaps a different matter. There was a case I recall of a model shop in Oxford having a prosecution brought against them but it was proved they had done nothing wrong. Difficult to define where a toy became a model. It was the cigarette manufacturers which usually objected to their advertising appearing on models rather than the law. As I recall Silk Cut was particularly difficult.

Spark Models would often appear with a little pack of decals taped under the box. Diverting slightly this took on a whole new meaning when they produced the Mercedes Le Mans "Flying Machines". They were never acknowledged as Mercs just had all the decals taped underneath. Provence Moulage and Starter would include a little sheaf of plastic envelopes containing the non-PC decals with every delivery.

Best summed up by a little incident in the shop c. 1996. Small boy, maybe 4 or 5 and his father were looking at a display of Onyx F1 models. Small boy to Father "but Dad this Williams should have Rothmans on the side". Lack of cigarette decals had drawn his attention, hardly the desired result.

#11 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 16:12

I know Spark did at least 3 versions of the MP4/1C. I know of Hockenheim and Silverstone. I know for a fact, the car ran without the Marlboro decals in Germany but I'm not sure about Silverstone.

a) Which version do you have?

b) Did you look under the base?  I've seen a photo of one of them with a decal sheet beside it.

BTW: they anounced the Zakspeed 841. Here is the official preview photo from Spark:

spark-zakspeed-841-palmer-n30-monaco-198

Edited by Duc-Man, 26 October 2017 - 16:14.

#12 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:02

Just a thought, back in my day it was not unknown for the less switched on/more unscrupulous dealers not to include decal sets which were not actually on the model. In the latter case to make a few bob by selling them separately..

#13 Jager

Jager

• 443 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 13:35

I asked my usual Spark dealer and he said the issue is specifically related to McLaren Marlboro models. I don't know the background, but it seems the issue is out of Spark's hands. I was informed Spark will continue to supply decals with all other tobacco liveried models (ie Rothmans, Silk Cut, Belga etc).

#14 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 17:51

I have the Rosberg 1986 gold/yellow McLaren MP4/2C (Minichamps) which is transformed by applying the Marlboro livery. I believe this was a one time only application of this colour on the McLarens ?

Did the Marlboro Lights scheme appear on a car in any other series ?

Michael, in Canada