• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 14:00

Look at this article:

https://www.autospor...e-in-motorsport

As a normal worker this subject is highly important to me, but I think the writer misses the differentiation between a job and an occupation.  The latter is not just 'work' but forms an extremely important part of one's life - it even defines one's life.  So if your work is effectively a large part of your life, how can you talk in a normal way of work/life balance???

Advertisement

#2 Jackman

Jackman

• 16,188 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 15:10

Because it's very hard to do, and inevitably you do lose out on a lot of the rest of your life.

#3 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 15:16

From the article;

"One person's idea of normal life is very different to another person, so what might be acceptable for one person may not be acceptable to another," Harvey offers.

Perhaps your complaint is more nuanced?

#4 FLB

FLB

• 29,872 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 18:59

In any case, it's a very worthy subject. I know of one mechanic who left a prime NASCAR Cup team for an IMSA team because that menant the work week would be 60-70 hours and not 70-80. The divorce rate among NASCAR crew members is simply horrendous.

My best friend chose to work in aeronautics to have a family life. He left racing just as he had a try-out from a winning Formula Atlantic team. He was working in what was called the Magna Series then (Continental Tires SportsCar Challenge now). He does not regret it, even though he's passionnate about racing.

For those who do have a career in motorsports, it's more often an obsession than an occupation.

#5 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,481 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:02

All hail nuance and Precisianism. :up:

You've made progress since your green period of excoriating anonymity & putative admin foibles, amedeofelix. :kiss:

Edited by Zmeej, 08 September 2017 - 02:12.

#6 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,559 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:28

Said in jest, 40,903 posts and counting ... :lol:

Edited by YoungGun, 09 September 2017 - 10:29.

#7 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,481 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:34

Mais pas du tout!

But your count was right and you were right to laugh. :cool:

Edited by Zmeej, 11 September 2017 - 02:35.

#8 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:06

I think of course there are ways to find a work life balance, but probably not if you work directly for a team or a preparation company.

IN those cases your workload is dependant on results, crashes, builds.

But I think if you work int he supply chain, it is likely you will not be expected to work ridiculous hours.

But if you work for a team, that is your choice, so you have to expect the worst.  All about choice