IOS11 support on iPhone App

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 4Sure

4Sure

• 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:03

Hi,

Is there any reason why the Autosport App has not been updated to support IOS11 on the iPhone?

Now that the latest IOS has been officially released more and more people are going to find their app not working as they update their phones, which is very disappointing on an F1 race weekend.

Regards,

Mark

Advertisement

#2 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,335 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:57

We actually discontinued our old apps and removed them from the app store about three or four years ago. They haven't had an update since about a year before that, but a few users told us that they would prefer to keep the apps even if they're not supported so we haven't actively stopped anyone who had downloaded the app from continuing to use it.

Your question about updates comes at a great time as we're working on a new Autosport app at the moment. We've got a lot of ideas for advanced functinality for the app, but we're going to start with a more basic release which does everything that the old app did and a bit more (including news alerts).

I'm hoping that we're only a few weeks away from being able to launch the first version of the new app, and I'll give you more info once I've got it...

#3 Zoony

Zoony

• 155 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 20:03

Hmm... I was wondering the same thing about the iPhone app, because I've been getting system messages about it needing an update for a while.

So how have people been expected to get Autosport content and news on their iPhones without the app then? Just by opening the website in Safari?

#4 Grayson

Grayson

• 3,335 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:42

So how have people been expected to get Autosport content and news on their iPhones without the app then? Just by opening the website in Safari?

Yes; we launched a mobile site about four years ago which did everything that the apps did and quite a lot more, and that was the only reason we felt comfortable dropping the apps.

Since then we've launched a fully responsive site which we think works even better on phones - and this is going to be the basis for the new versions off the app.

#5 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,871 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 16:42

Yup, just got a new iphone 8 today and the Autosport app does not work. 

I'm a premium subscriber and I used to read the plus articles through the app... 

Any update on when the new app will be launched?

#6 Pascal

Pascal
  • Administrator Emeritus

• 21,142 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 17:53

We actually discontinued our old apps and removed them from the app store about three or four years ago. They haven't had an update since about a year before that, but a few users told us that they would prefer to keep the apps even if they're not supported so we haven't actively stopped anyone who had downloaded the app from continuing to use it.

Your question about updates comes at a great time as we're working on a new Autosport app at the moment. We've got a lot of ideas for advanced functinality for the app, but we're going to start with a more basic release which does everything that the old app did and a bit more (including news alerts).

I'm hoping that we're only a few weeks away from being able to launch the first version of the new app, and I'll give you more info once I've got it...

This is great news, as I was one of the dinosaurs still using the old app until iOS11 came along. Of all the apps I had to abandon with the switch, Autosport is the one I miss the most and given how long ago it had been last updated I was under no illusion that a 64-bit version was in the pipe.

You've made my day! :)

#7 Grayson

Grayson

• 3,335 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:21

We're currently testing the new version of the app.

Depending on how many bugs we find, I hope that I'll be able to give you a positive update in the next few days...

#8 Pascal

Pascal
  • Administrator Emeritus

• 21,142 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 00:17

Okay, I've had the pleasant surprise of seeing the familiar Autosport logo in my list of app updates today, and I hadn't been that excited about this sort of thing for quite a while. I haven't had much time to test-drive the new version yet, but so far I like what I'm seeing. The App I had been using for years is back, and looking a lot more tidy and polished than its former incarnation.

Thanks a lot for allowing a dinosaur like myself to resume old habits. :clap:

#9 Grayson

Grayson

• 3,335 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 16:29

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far! Our developers have asked me to mention how much we appreciate reviews in the App Store...

You're actually one of the first to get it - we've gone for a bit of a soft launch just to make sure that everything's working and stable before we start shouting about it. So please let me know if you spot any bugs or glitches!